Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Game is easy as hell if you put 40 points into Earth, wear the heaviest armor you can, and keep everything maximally upgraded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Tried out the demo, I think running my face into the first boss enough times has helped me get used to the deflecting in this game but man I can't seem to do much once he goes into phase 2. I always end up with 0-1 pots left and get crushed in less than a minute. Pretty rude to have a whole rear end second health bar like that for a first boss.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Tried out the demo, I think running my face into the first boss enough times has helped me get used to the deflecting in this game but man I can't seem to do much once he goes into phase 2. I always end up with 0-1 pots left and get crushed in less than a minute. Pretty rude to have a whole rear end second health bar like that for a first boss.

I feel like that boss would be 100% more reasonable if you just started on the second phase if you got to it before. There were bosses in Nioh 2 that worked like that.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The first boss is reasonable because if you can't beat him you're not going to enjoy the game.

Secondly, there's already a bunch of videos and stuff (multiple times in the previous pages) telling you what to do (normal attack phase 1, use the spirit attack + dodge button once it the icon charges full).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, if you can't get past the first boss' phase 2 especially since it has an Instant Win Button partway through the fight the final boss fight in the second level is going to make you want to swallow a folded up frisbee

not gonna lie, I miss Nioh's big stupid skill trees for each weapon a lot. The martial arts just aren't doing it for me as a replacement. The parrying is cool, and it's a good rear end game regardless, but in a lot of ways I'm not feeling this game's mechanics as much as I did Nioh 2's.

looking forward to seeing what mechanical depth they add in the DLC.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 5, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't know what the gently caress was the instant win button, so I had to whittle him down the legit way.

I've honestly had harder time with like a higher level enemy+those black assassins than any boss so far.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Mage boss sucks. Fight me you coward

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tae posted:

I didn't know what the gently caress was the instant win button, so I had to whittle him down the legit way.

yeah the tutorial prompt is not very obvious at all, I even hit it by accident the first time, I think

also having a high Water stat is pretty funny. Just casually walking by dudes to kill their wizards behind them. Pay no mind.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm just dunking on this game. It's not really introducing new moves and stuff either. I prefer Nioh to this. It's still good, but it just feels kind of bare.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A lot of the martial arts are pretty lack-luster, even taking into account using them correctly with high blue bar or as movement. I've yet to come across anything as cool as the hammer command-grab or the sword move where you just kind of walk forward for a few second and did a big stupid swing lol. not to mention half the poo poo you can get up to with tonfas/fists

It kind of sucks finding a weapon you like (for me it's the bo staff this thing shreds) and then having to wait several hours to potentially get a cool new move to do with it.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 5, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Love the game, the game runs like poo poo! When is the DLSS update so it doesn't run like a barrel of hog poo poo?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I noticed at one point I was blocking an attack and some characters popped up and one of them was blue. I have no idea what that triggered, any ideas?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A 4080 and the game runs like someone's beating its rear end! I'm getting frame drops out the wazoo.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm making my way slowly through the game, just got to the town after 6 hours.

None of the levels have been particularly hard if I take my time and scout out the map, but I feel like I'm not learning how to be good at the combat at all.

Should I upgrade my current 2/3 star equipment or do they just get outdated really quick?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

A 4080 and the game runs like someone's beating its rear end! I'm getting frame drops out the wazoo.

better cards seem to be having a generally poo poo time for whatever reason, my 3070 Ti has been close to flawless

they acknowledged in a news post yesterday that they're working to sort the worst of the issues out and get a patch out the door, so if you don't want to refund it then you could try it again in a week and see if they've fixed it

Thumbtacks posted:

I noticed at one point I was blocking an attack and some characters popped up and one of them was blue. I have no idea what that triggered, any ideas?

i think some of those characters are status effect indicators; my guess is that it's the haste on deflection effect from the preorder armor, assuming you're wearing it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone playing on console? I'm on Series X and I can't tell any difference between Performance and Resolution modes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vermain posted:

better cards seem to be having a generally poo poo time for whatever reason, my 3070 Ti has been close to flawless

Smooth 120 for me with a 3080 as well

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Should I upgrade my current 2/3 star equipment or do they just get outdated really quick?

This is where I’m at. I guess just swap out gear until you have a build that meshes then upgrade? gently caress if I know how to itemize my dude.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

itemization isn't especially important during regular ol' NG, since it's hard to control what you're getting and you generally aren't strong enough to just speedrun slam through missions to farm en masse

wear the armor that'll keep you at A or B agility and upgrade it when you can, the mats drop a lot in the later missions and it's easy enough to slam out the lower level ones if you need rank 1 leathers or whatnot

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Killed uhh *googles* Zhang Jiao last night and the game still owns.

I still have no idea how to take advantage of the five elemental phases effectively in practice but on the other hand, the enemies die quickly anyway so it's probably not a priority at this point.

I know you can neutralize elements but haven't had the need to play around with that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

I still have no idea how to take advantage of the five elemental phases effectively in practice but on the other hand, the enemies die quickly anyway so it's probably not a priority at this point.

having some kind of elemental imbue is a good generic way of making use of them, since all the debuffs are pretty useful, and fully applying a debuff will trigger an interrupt on most enemies

in practice, you'd probably want to try and play off of the resistance drop each phase debuff has, so you trigger Shocked, then start dealing damage with earth to apply Heaviness, then go back to lightning, etc.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

also if you're fighting a boss that keeps inflicting status effects on you, it might be worth slotting a self-buff that counters it, i.e. if a boss keeps burning you, you can use a water self buff to douse yourself

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

multi-phase fight for the first boss is a bummer imo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Man I wish cao cao would do literally ANYTHING holy gently caress dude just stands there

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Lu Bu fight owns hard

That is all

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TulliusCicero posted:

The Lu Bu fight owns hard

That is all

parrying every hit in his stupid rear end long combos is the coolest poo poo in the game so far

game's good

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

Man I wish cao cao would do literally ANYTHING holy gently caress dude just stands there

He is the worst companion in the game for me

His only use is being a meatshield for that loving Eunuch and his boomer clones.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

Are you using R1 + up on the dpad? The npc companions start using real moves and do a bunch of damage. The buff lasts a good bit too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Man, Zhang Bao can eat a dick. Sure, let's make a boss who can and will teleport out of the way of your spirit attacks whenever he feels like. He wasn't even so much difficult as just supremely annoying, as half the fight just consisted of running after him or his adds.

Currently stuck on him :kingsley: Should probably swap out my fire burst magic for the water/ice one...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

elements feel like they either build up 10% status that goes away immediately and do nothing, or rapidly inflict the whole status and do massive damage with no in between. Usually the former.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah don't know if I've ever 'proc'ed' ice on him, not sure what that would even look like. But my new strategy of hanging back and parrying fire to build up my icicle throwing juice feels a little bit better, I'm not having to physically run him down to hit him with stuff at least. What do fire mage's adds actually do? I don't notice anything different when they're there or when I kill them.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah don't know if I've ever 'proc'ed' ice on him, not sure what that would even look like. But my new strategy of hanging back and parrying fire to build up my icicle throwing juice feels a little bit better, I'm not having to physically run him down to hit him with stuff at least. What do fire mage's adds actually do? I don't notice anything different when they're there or when I kill them.

Personally I didn't notice his adds even existed when I fought him until after I killed him, but if I had to guess based on the stage, I'd bet they raise his morale level while they're still alive.

I use the story supports because I like paling around with the likes of Guan Yu and Zhang Fei and so we just rushed him down and kept him stunlocked the poor guy never had a chance.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

They just give him a buff to his morale, and killing them off brings it back down. So it's a good idea to kill them sooner rather than later, but you don't need to drop everything to do it instantly if that would expose you to his attacks.

In the end I got him mostly by hanging out at mid-distance, parrying the fire rings and projectiles to boost my spirit for spirit attacks, and baiting out his big red attacks for counters. His sword attacks were usually what got me, so staying out of range of those helped a fair bit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's absolutely not worth going into melee range with him. Counter his bullshit with your own. Chuck ice at his rear end.

It's cool that you can cancel attacks like that, I thought it was neat that the ice trap basically makes a force field for you against his attacks for a bit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got to say, realizing that you largely can not cancel attack animations into deflect really helped me out. Been trying to keep my attack strings short so I can deflect or dodge out if needed instead of falling into the trap of button mashing, which the simpler move sets does seem to trick you into doing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Capping my FPS at 60 was enough to fix the game speed slowdown issues for me. sucks not to be able to run it at 120 FPS but at least it's playable like this.

anyone have an idea how much leveling a phase does for its spell performance? is what you see pretty much what you get when you try using a phase at its minimum cast requirement or will some of these actually get really impressive at 50 points invested in the stat?

also, what are the loud "glass breaking" noises that happen sometimes when you hit things? It happens a lot when throwing spells.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 5, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

They just give him a buff to his morale, and killing them off brings it back down. So it's a good idea to kill them sooner rather than later, but you don't need to drop everything to do it instantly if that would expose you to his attacks.

In the end I got him mostly by hanging out at mid-distance, parrying the fire rings and projectiles to boost my spirit for spirit attacks, and baiting out his big red attacks for counters. His sword attacks were usually what got me, so staying out of range of those helped a fair bit.

:negative:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1632306511501225985?s=20

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

also, what are the loud "glass breaking" noises that happen sometimes when you hit things? It happens a lot when throwing spells.

Wondering this as well. I thought it would be their spirit breaking to get you the big red counter but that's not it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Man LB is a sick fight, I’m getting my rear end kicked and I absolutely do not care

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Got him gently caress that was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i’m doing all the side missions cause the combat rules + i found a rare dragon pot item in one of them