Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1632255175963340801

I thought this was interesting and hadn't seen it posted in the thread yet, a reminder that Ukraine isn't just relying on old Soviet hand-me-downs but actually has a competent defense industry of its own that hasn't stopped innovating.

I wonder what the CEP is on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A Korean War Vet who won the Silver Star once gave me advice for fighting with a US Entrenching Tool- "Keep in an L, and go for under the chin. You'll cleave a face right off." I nodded solemnly, because dude had the real life experience. I never confirmed the number, but the common held belief was he killed 12 Chinese troops on a hilltop with his shovel when his unit overrun. I don't think it really matters much, but I am not going to argue with weirdo church pastor who had a painting of him killing Chinese soldiers with a shovel in his office.

Weirdly, it is one of the finer points that is debated among the low caste known as the Infantry. They love to ruminate on hypothetical, and debate the finer details of misusing tools for the purpose of revoking birth certificates. Which way to put the shovel blade? Where to put your fixed blade knife- leg, arm, gear, belt? What's the best way to swing a dead rifle- proper buttstroke, ore baseball that poo poo? Volumes of unanswerable questions of misery. The funniest part is the answer is always, ALWAYS the same- "Situationally Dependent". In other words, "gently caress it, We'll do it live".

When in Iraq, I bought one of the Cold Steel Repro 'Spetznaz' shovels. You can definitely loving kill someone with it. I used it to just gently caress up lumber and sandbags, and throw like a hatchet, but I have no doubts that it is more than capable in melee.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bulletsponge13 posted:

A Korean War Vet who won the Silver Star once gave me advice for fighting with a US Entrenching Tool- "Keep in an L, and go for under the chin. You'll cleave a face right off." I nodded solemnly, because dude had the real life experience. I never confirmed the number, but the common held belief was he killed 12 Chinese troops on a hilltop with his shovel when his unit overrun. I don't think it really matters much, but I am not going to argue with weirdo church pastor who had a painting of him killing Chinese soldiers with a shovel in his office.

Weirdly, it is one of the finer points that is debated among the low caste known as the Infantry. They love to ruminate on hypothetical, and debate the finer details of misusing tools for the purpose of revoking birth certificates. Which way to put the shovel blade? Where to put your fixed blade knife- leg, arm, gear, belt? What's the best way to swing a dead rifle- proper buttstroke, ore baseball that poo poo? Volumes of unanswerable questions of misery. The funniest part is the answer is always, ALWAYS the same- "Situationally Dependent". In other words, "gently caress it, We'll do it live".

When in Iraq, I bought one of the Cold Steel Repro 'Spetznaz' shovels. You can definitely loving kill someone with it. I used it to just gently caress up lumber and sandbags, and throw like a hatchet, but I have no doubts that it is more than capable in melee.

For reference, here's a WW2 US field shovel/entrenching tool. I carried one of these (stamped "US AMES 1942") in Norwegian basic training in 2002, though I think our actual field troops use something more compact and lightweight. I've chopped tree roots and hacked off a padlock with one and it didn't even dent the edge. I've got a picture of the one I had in genuine 2002 digital camera quality somewhere - but this one I found on google is obviously nigh identical apart from the markings.

My mom carries one in the trunk of her car in case she needs to hack away some ice or snow to get out of a parking space.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 5, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Keep in an L?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The blade of the shovel folds. In an L means to lock it down at a 90 degree angle.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The whole thing folds, even the blade. It can be locked into an L shape like a garden hoe

Efb but here's an image to get the idea. The spike isn't on ones I've ever seen, but otherwise this:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

edit: answered above.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Like this.

e: I'm slow. Though this one is closer to the right model.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
sounds like Russia took the L

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Christ that's basically a war pick at that point

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

kemikalkadet posted:

Maybe not exactly what you’re after but Perun on YouTube does very detailed deep dives on specific topics around the war. It’s more high level stuff than day to day happenings but they’re always great. I think he’s some kind of defence analyst from New Zealand that makes them in his spare time.

Excellent I can listen to it through the car.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can unfold the blade 90 degrees usually, instead of unfolding it 180 degrees.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Correct.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I own an original WW2 US entrenching tool and I actually hosed it up trying to get a buried glacial boulder out of the way but rebent it. It's fairly handy overall.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
One thing I’ve never understood is why they don’t make versions with extendable shafts. Wouldn’t more leverage make for easier digging?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah, but the leverage puts a pretty force on the expanding joint so it’s… not great.

Edit: you can find a variety of extendable shovels people keep in their trunks for snow, they’re not great with anything heavier.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I assume it's because it's extra weight and a point of failure.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
on a pretty fundamental level an entrenching tool is intended to be an entirely different tool from a full sized spade, despite both fundamentally being about moving dirt out of a hole

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

In early 2000's they still taught in FDF that in case we had to go to a "real war" you should keep the edge of your foldable shovel sharpened in case you need hand-to-hand weapon as the traditional puukko, a relatively short knife, wasn't going to be enough. And puukko was really also something they expected reserve corps to bring from home with them mostly as a camping and food-making tool.

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011
Was still a thing in late 2000s. During my time as a private we were required to keep our shovel in the L-shape and within arms reach at all times during field practice. Which was a bit weird considering most of us became mortar crew members. The war in Ukraine has shown that our instructor might have been right. Also , that thing was an excellent tool for chopping up fire wood.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
And now I need to go find that video of the Chinese multipurpose shovel again.

This video is a thing of beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ryyAenmzHM

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The shovel knows what it is by not knowing what it isn't

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think there are stories from conflicts where finding a sharpened edge on a field shovel means immediate execution of the captured soldier right there and then.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I think there are stories from conflicts where finding a sharpened edge on a field shovel means immediate execution of the captured soldier right there and then.

I think that's just an excuse to execute the POWs as like said, for example that FDF foldable shovel is really sturdy, and sharpening an edge to its side makes it an excellent tool to make kindling, or split the larger pieces into something that works on the smaller stoves. Next: every POW that does not surrender their spork on command. But I've actually heard the same stories.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Imagine if they found a soldier with a gun!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I find the FDF saying the Pukko isn't enough for fighting amusing, solely because I think that argument is happening in every army in the world at this moment, because it was a never-ending useless debate when I was in. (Science I've seen says if you want to poke holes in important bits, 6" blade is minimum to reach critical vitals.)

Chris Ryan, the only member of the infamous Bravo Two Zero patrol in the Gulf War to Escape and Evade, claims that that it was debated among the patrol, with the consensus being his folding knife wasn't enough. If his account is to be believed, it was enough when he needed it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Tiny Timbs posted:

Doesn't all quiet on the western front(an older version of it)have something about serrated bayonets?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Deploying to GW1 we all thought the gerber stilleto was the thing to have but it was expensive so I don’t know anyone that actually bought one.

Especially since you could get a ka-bar if you knew someone in supply or wanted to spend like 20 but at the PX.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Tiny Timbs posted:

What about a shovel you can put on a gun?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Flikken posted:

Doesn't all quiet on the western front(an older version of it)have something about serrated bayonets?

Yes, which also includes talking about using the shovel as a weapon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz96u4h6424

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
If anyone remembers the show Deadliest Warrior there was an episode, Green Berets vs Spetsnaz, where for melee weapons the GB had the e-tool while the Spetsnaz had some auto knife throwing thing. Green Berets lost lol, this was also like a decade+ ago when the world believed the bullshit Russia was putting out.

I have only heard of one incident where an e-tool was almost used. In 2006 (or 7 I don't remember) our alpha company had a COP get overran by Taliban. Some guys were telling a story how they were out of ammo so they hid in a bunker or something with a door and basically everyone inside armed themselves with something, knives and e-tools from what I recall. They said they could hear the Taliban outside but they never entered, just stole a 240B and bounced. A lot of this is second hand so not 100% sure of the events but the 240B getting stolen I have heard enough that that should be true. Apparently SF went to the border and bought it back.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Murgos posted:

Deploying to GW1 we all thought the gerber stilleto was the thing to have but it was expensive so I don’t know anyone that actually bought one.

Especially since you could get a ka-bar if you knew someone in supply or wanted to spend like 20 but at the PX.

I bought a Eickhorn knife and on the spur of the moment got the dagger version with the double edged blade. It was a total pain in the arse and I always felt on the verge of cutting myself when doing advanced tactical string-cutting and cardboard-box-opening

Nice thing though:

https://www.eickhorn-solingen.de/epages/62631327.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62631327/Products/825132/SubProducts/825132

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Put that to your assault rifle and start digging a firing position, and you'd be glad that the enemy got you before the armory sergeant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tiny Timbs posted:

This wouldn't have happened if he had had a gun.

Wrong Theory posted:

If anyone remembers the show Deadliest Warrior there was an episode, Green Berets vs Spetsnaz, where for melee weapons the GB had the e-tool while the Spetsnaz had some auto knife throwing thing. Green Berets lost lol, this was also like a decade+ ago when the world believed the bullshit Russia was putting out.

I have only heard of one incident where an e-tool was almost used. In 2006 (or 7 I don't remember) our alpha company had a COP get overran by Taliban. Some guys were telling a story how they were out of ammo so they hid in a bunker or something with a door and basically everyone inside armed themselves with something, knives and e-tools from what I recall. They said they could hear the Taliban outside but they never entered, just stole a 240B and bounced. A lot of this is second hand so not 100% sure of the events but the 240B getting stolen I have heard enough that that should be true. Apparently SF went to the border and bought it back.
I remember that poo poo. The ballistic knife apparently shot the knife blade at someone. Like some James Bond poo poo. I mean, it would definitely be a hell of a surprise but what happens when you miss? Now you don't have a knife AND you look like a horse's rear end.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EorayMel posted:

https://i.imgur.com/wuSOW6Q.gifv

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Deadliest Warrior was pro tier drunk watching. It's like someone paid to make my middle school lunch debates a thing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Don't forget the IRA vs Taliban and/or Theodore Roosevelt vs Lawrence Of Arabia Deadliest Warrior episodes

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

EorayMel posted:

Request ambiguous, result:

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Wrong Theory posted:

The funniest thing to me is that Spetznaz does have a ballistic knife, but it's a single shot 7.62x41mm round in the handle. It fires out of the "pommel" side, so you very much still have a blade. It's called the NRS-2.

The knife that was in Deadliest Warrior is/was made by an American company and uses a giant rear end spring to launch the blade making it pretty awful as a weapon. The fact the fact checkers (lol they didn't have those) or the Spetsnaz expert, Sonny Puzikas, didn't pick up on that calls the entire episode into question. One thing I won't question is Sonny's ability to shoot a man in training, he's a champ at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Flikken posted:

Yep, the fact that Pioneer and artillery troops on both sides had serrated bayonets, as was the fashion at the time, for clearing brush was ignored. :shrug:

edit: learn to proofread.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 6, 2023