Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Idk if it’s kosher but I bought this bundle to start bumping up my library and also it’s a good cause I think https://www.humblebundle.com/games/turkiye-syria-earthquake-relief-bundle

I’ll give them $40 if they don’t give me Gotham knights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vic posted:

A non-steam game is just a windows shortcut to the local exe file. You can't use remote play for those.

If you have an nvidia card, you can use Moonlight to do this. There's plenty other options too.

Ooh right, I forgot about Moonlight, thank you.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kin posted:

Yup, my hope is that I get my kids into games when they hit 5 (like I did) so that it'll keep them distracted long enough for me to play my games.

I'll need to figure out something with when to play the age-appropriate games though. I'm desensitized to the point where i forget that stuff like Dead Space would maybe traumatise a 5-year-old.

Get ready to watch a whole lot of Minecraft and Roblox. I try to get my 9 year old daughter into other games but she gets bored and always goes back to one of those two.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vic posted:

A non-steam game is just a windows shortcut to the local exe file. You can't use remote play for those.

If you have an nvidia card, you can use Moonlight to do this. There's plenty other options too.
This is wrong, remote play absolutely works for non-steam games. I just tried it out to confirm.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I didn't know :shrug: help out the cool cat

E: Everything has a launcher now except some of the humblebundle or gog games, so maybe lets be more specific because remote play can't deal with launchers very well.

Vic fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 4, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

loudog999 posted:

Get ready to watch a whole lot of Minecraft and Roblox. I try to get my 9 year old daughter into other games but she gets bored and always goes back to one of those two.

Its crazy to me that Minecraft is still massively popular, and among continual new generations of kids too. One of my best friends has a three, and six year old nephew, and they are both obsessed with Minecraft. Its their entire personality.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I said come in! posted:

I have a non-Steam game installed on my PC and I want to remote play it on my Steam Deck. But I can't figure out how to do this? I added it to my Steam library as a non-Steam game on PC, but it doesn't show up on my Steam Deck.

It won't show up under "Installed," but if you scroll all the way right there should be a "non-steam" section. It should be there as long as you're set up for in-home Steam streaming in general:

(not mine)

I do this for Cyberpunk, so barring technical reasons that I can't explain this should be how it works.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 4, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SM64+ on Steam Deck is fantastic btw, rave reviews all around

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My deck is hogging my wifi even when it’s not downloading. How do I make it not do that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandolphCarter posted:

My deck is hogging my wifi even when it’s not downloading. How do I make it not do that?

Is it downloading a system update?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Is it downloading a system update?

Nope. No active downloads.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandolphCarter posted:

Nope. No active downloads.

Ah, I asked because system updates don’t show up in the Downloads section.

Did you install any file-sync stuff? I don’t know why it would be doing much downloading if there’s nothing visibly going, sorry!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

homeless snail posted:

This is wrong, remote play absolutely works for non-steam games. I just tried it out to confirm.

Yea I have a ton of non-steam games and it all just kinda works out?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, I asked because system updates don’t show up in the Downloads section.

Did you install any file-sync stuff? I don’t know why it would be doing much downloading if there’s nothing visibly going, sorry!

I think I might just need a new router, but I’m broke so it’ll be a while.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

loudog999 posted:

Just bought Marvel’s Midnight Suns since it’s on sale. Is it worth installing it locally on the deck or should I just use geoforce now? I don’t ever take the deck out of the house so steaming is not an issue.

There's no real benefit to installing locally over streaming as far as gameplay and performance. In fact, getting it running and keeping it from crashing on the deck requires using cryobytes utilities to change some deck settings. I installed it only because I took it on travel.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don’t know if there’s a way to fix this or where to start troubleshooting but thought I’d check.

If I’m playing docked (JSAUX dock, not official) with a wired game pad plugged in then set the Deck to sleep, when I wake it up again it doesn’t seem to take any input from the game pad until I do a full restart.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Question for goons who use Decky Loader / Power Tools. Do you all stay on the Stable SteamOS instead of the Beta one?
I know recent Beta SteamOS updates have broken some of the Decky Loader plugins and it looks like reddit users recommend staying on Stable. Obviously, that seems like the right answer, but I always hear the siren call of constant SteamOS updates from the Beta branch since the stable one seems to update a lot less frequently.

I would mostly be using Power Tools for PS2 emulation since I heard limiting cores improves performance.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what do i do if a file is in a folder and i can't see it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Question for goons who use Decky Loader / Power Tools. Do you all stay on the Stable SteamOS instead of the Beta one?
I know recent Beta SteamOS updates have broken some of the Decky Loader plugins and it looks like reddit users recommend staying on Stable. Obviously, that seems like the right answer, but I always hear the siren call of constant SteamOS updates from the Beta branch since the stable one seems to update a lot less frequently.

I would mostly be using Power Tools for PS2 emulation since I heard limiting cores improves performance.

I use my deck too much to deal with the beta possibly breaking anything. I also take my deck out of the house so I’d the beta broke something I might not be able to fix it so I could play whatever I was going to play.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Its crazy to me that Minecraft is still massively popular, and among continual new generations of kids too. One of my best friends has a three, and six year old nephew, and they are both obsessed with Minecraft. Its their entire personality.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s their legos

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mescal posted:

what do i do if a file is in a folder and i can't see it

If the file name starts with “.” then you need to turn on hidden files in whatever menu I can’t remember (try right clicking?).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I’m honestly surprised there isn’t a libertarian article that makes this argument seriously

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’ve tried Midnight Suns installed locally just to see how it runs and have a question. I see people on Reddit talking about switching from dx12 to dx11 in settings to fix crashing issues. On my deck that option is set to dx11 and greyed out so I can’t switch between the two. Is that something they patched in intentionally or is something wrong with my install? I can force it to dx12 through launch options but again, it’s greyed out and can’t switch back to 11 in graphic settings.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
e: nm

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

loudog999 posted:

I’ve tried Midnight Suns installed locally just to see how it runs and have a question. I see people on Reddit talking about switching from dx12 to dx11 in settings to fix crashing issues. On my deck that option is set to dx11 and greyed out so I can’t switch between the two. Is that something they patched in intentionally or is something wrong with my install? I can force it to dx12 through launch options but again, it’s greyed out and can’t switch back to 11 in graphic settings.

When I did it you had to force launch into dx11 via launch commands

For what it's worth, it did not fix crashing issues, just let me load into the game. You may still need cryobyte's utilities to avoid crashing after cutscenes.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 5, 2023

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
I think that stuff about Midnight Suns crashing on the Deck might be outdated. I've been playing it the past couple of weeks with no issues. All I did was install it and hit Play and it's been working great.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Fatigued posted:

I think that stuff about Midnight Suns crashing on the Deck might be outdated. I've been playing it the past couple of weeks with no issues. All I did was install it and hit Play and it's been working great.

That's fair, I was playing a month or two ago so I can't say definitively what it's like now

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I use Decky on the beta branch (both Steam Client and OS Beta), I have to reinstall it after updates sometimes but I don't mind running a command in desktop mode. Reinstalling Decky doesn't remove the plugins or their settings so its not a huge deal.

Stability outside of that is fine for both games, plugins, and the OS itself

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

PageMaster posted:

When I did it you had to force launch into dx11 via launch commands

For what it's worth, it did not fix crashing issues, just let me load into the game. You may still need cryobyte's utilities to avoid crashing after cutscenes.

Weird. I have cryobytes running and oddly enough the only “crash” I’ve had is getting stuck on a black screen when streaming the game. I’m not looking to change it because honestly I don’t know what difference it would make, just thought it was odd that while others had to force 11, I had to force 12.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Unless you hate yourself, if you depend on Decky just keep your deck to stable. Beta updates come randomly and can break decky everytime.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I normally never play games in bed, but kind of felt like it today. When I try and play PS5 my big rear end German Shepherd gets on the couch and swats the controller out of my hand, but she never gets on the bed............ Until I'm playing Resident Evil on my Deck laying down and then I suddenly have a 100 pound weight reminding me that I'm not allowed to play video games.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

loudog999 posted:

Weird. I have cryobytes running and oddly enough the only “crash” I’ve had is getting stuck on a black screen when streaming the game. I’m not looking to change it because honestly I don’t know what difference it would make, just thought it was odd that while others had to force 11, I had to force 12.

Yeah I was playing the launch version so I can't say if everyone is still necessary. Maybe the reddit posts are from way back then, too, I know the dx11 launch was the first fix people started recommending those first weeks and may not be needed anymore. How are you streaming it?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Yeah I was playing the launch version so I can't say if everyone is still necessary. Maybe the reddit posts are from way back then, too, I know the dx11 launch was the first fix people started recommending those first weeks and may not be needed anymore. How are you streaming it?

GeForce Now. It runs much better but on my founders tier still struggles a bit unless I turn ray tracing off.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

loudog999 posted:

GeForce Now. It runs much better but on my founders tier still struggles a bit unless I turn ray tracing off.

Is your PC strong enough to run the game without GeForce Now?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I said come in! posted:

The best way I can wrap my head around it is "video game legos"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anybody tried ‘greenlight’ which is apparently a dedicated client for gamepass streaming? is it considerably better than the edge setup?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Barreft posted:

Is your PC strong enough to run the game without GeForce Now?

Probably, I haven’t tried it but I have a 3070. Once I get some time off work I’ll look into setting up my pc to stream to the deck. That’s one thing I haven’t messed with yet

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

loudog999 posted:

Probably, I haven’t tried it but I have a 3070. Once I get some time off work I’ll look into setting up my pc to stream to the deck. That’s one thing I haven’t messed with yet

Oh yeah, assuming a good internet connection you're fine. You'll only be streaming at 1080 or 720, so any newish card will do great. I have a 2080 but I can run everything on Ultra cause my PC only has to run games in 1080/60

Just make sure you don't use Remote Play, it's terrible.

Moonlight via Gamestream/Sunshine.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
There was an interesting breakdown of the chips and performance of the SteamDeck's internals that I saw on HN today.

TL;DR: Basically, the CPU and memory are bottlenecks, but the custom GPU is an interesting bit of tech. Which makes sense. Lots of room for improvement if Valve wants to follow up with a "SteamDeck 2". Probably best to hold off for a couple of years while stuff gets more power efficient and developers can target a stable platform.

Edit: I'm wondering if a eGPU is something that is possible on the SteamDeck. USB3 has lots of bandwidth, but I don't know if it's enough to make it worthwhile.

unruly fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 6, 2023