Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

that's citing the same source as the tabloids + adding some speculation about how many people would have reason to want to kill kadyrov, which tbf is a lot, but it's still entirely speculative

it's literally just msn reposting a metro article on their site, so yeah still just tabloids

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Fair enough, I should improve my media literacy. My mistake!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Discendo Vox posted:

...if Kadyrov were to drop dead, though, who would take his place?

realistically, whoever in the Tsentoroy mafia wins a power struggle? the Chechen wars didn't leave much in terms of balance between various regional elites (as is the case, in my limited understanding of northern Caucasus politics, the case in Dagestan and Ingushetia), even if it would be ah... interesting if someone decided it'd be a good time to try for independent Republic of Ichkeria round 3 at present

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If nothing else it would result in the recall of the units in Ukraine to bolster whoever wants to come out on top, and if they wanted to try for independence it's not like Russia has the resources to do anything about it. The result might be Russia stops paying for it which might end up as a net positive to their bank accounts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
To be fair if there were ever a world leader to accidentally kill themselves with some sort of alt-med bodybuilding or male enhancement supplement, I feel like Kadyrov would be near the top of the list.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1632270968868466689?t=IpurhNAHJDuC4GIwpe02-g&s=19
MOD reports of mobiks being sent into battle with shovels.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's a POW video focusing on the footwear of the Russians. There's a mix of boots, wellies, trainers and one guy in bright red moccasins...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Please read the tweet you just posted, it's not too long. “Firearms and shovels” still sucks versus a bunker, but they're not fighting the 100-year war there.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

A peek at the counter offensive to come?

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1632332533567217671

Training footage of the AS-90 that will be handed over soon

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1632334324488974337

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Yeah, it’s not just shovels. Still weird to read that the Russians have a ‘mythologised‘ shovel (MPL-50) that hasn’t changed much since the 19th century and spetsnaz had a special training program for it for close quarters combat.
It’s feels vile. But I guess that appropriate for this war.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HonorableTB posted:

Fair enough, I should improve my media literacy. My mistake!
In your defense, so should msn.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
New Perun on Wagner and Russian PMC

https://youtu.be/wXKUNc9yI2A

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Please read the tweet you just posted, it's not too long. “Firearms and shovels” still sucks versus a bunker, but they're not fighting the 100-year war there.

Yeah I should have emphasised the mythological part...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

mrfart posted:

Yeah, it’s not just shovels. Still weird to read that the Russians have a ‘mythologised‘ shovel (MPL-50) that hasn’t changed much since the 19th century and spetsnaz had a special training program for it for close quarters combat.
It’s feels vile. But I guess that appropriate for this war.
To be fair, the British army still loves its bayonets, and still found need for some bayonet charges even in such asymmetric fights as Iraq 2 and Afghanistan.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jarf posted:

Yeah I should have emphasised the mythological part...

Not really unique, to be honest. Remember this pre-war Ukrainian army ad eulogizing the shovel, specifically at one point noting its uses "If we run out of ammunition"? Might very well be the same model of shovel the Russians use even, given the shared Soviet origins of their military. Shovels are handy things for a soldier to lug around and there's a certain emotional resonance to boasting about how a soldier's most important tool isn't some shiny gun for killing, but a simple shovel similar to the ones every civilian has lying around.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tomn posted:

Might very well be the same model of shovel the Russians use even, given the shared Soviet origins of their military.

Yeah, that one looks like an MPL-50, too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Might be the first time a Russian official acknowledges neo-nazis fighting on Russia's side.

https://www.fontanka.ru/2023/03/02/72101819/

The journalist pushed Andrey Kartapolov (United Russia Duma Member) on the presence of nazis in the Rusich Batallion, citing numerous photos and videos of them with nazi flags, tattoos, doing nazi salutes, etc., and whether pointing that out could fall under what the new law defines as defamation of volunteers participating in the special military operation.

Andrey Kartapolov posted:

I would recommend talking about these people with caution. Not to come into conflict with ourselves. You can't just go around saying that these people support fascists without any proof. [...] I'm sure they've already removed their tattoos and are no longer doing nazi salutes. If they are carrying out tasks as part of a grouping of Russian troops, it means they have already reformed.

Before the war, Kartaponov, an ex-military officer, served as Deputy Defence Minister

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Absolutely. I continue to be mystified by this thread's confidence in continued US support of Ukraine. Trump and Fox News ARE the mainstream of the Republican Party. They are not remotely fringe figures. Support for Ukraine ends in 2024 unless Dems win a trifecta of house, senate, and white house again.

I just checked and it's actually worse than this. Lend Lease expires at the end of the current fiscal year, September 30 2023. So Ukraine has 6 months to win the war, or at least until US materiel shipments end. I would be extremely surprised if Kevin McCarthy allows it to come up for a vote for renewal. (most likely this will get spun as a negotiation, like "cut social security by XX in return for renewal of lend lease")

Are there a lot of Republicans who quietly support Ukraine or at least aren't explicitly pro-Russian? Probably. Are there a meaningful number that will stick their necks out for Ukraine when the chips are down? Absolutely not.

Two-party politics does create this bi-polar dynamic where no matter what you support the other team is gonna oppose. The other half of the situation is that:

1. 80-90% of Americans couldn't find Ukraine on a map. It is going to be very hard to convince them to care about a country they've basically never heard of before.

2. Wars have a very clear pattern for public support where they start off with a wave of popularity that peters out over time. We saw this with the middle east, vietnam, etc.

It's going to be an uphill battle to keep the public focused on Ukraine the especially now when there is a much deeper division between the parties. At least in the middle east Democrats and Republicans were pretty lockstep for most of the war.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If Wagner consists mostly of untrained disposable cannon fodder, what is it that they are doing that allows Russia to gain ground?

From the sounds of things it looks like the goal here is to grind down the Ukrainian military until it’s no longer able to fight. But how are they able to inflict what are rumoured to be serious casualties to seasoned Ukrainian brigades. Is the problem here just a question of sheer numbers?

Does Russia have so many people that they can dump their prison system on the UAF, inflict enough casualties to degrade their combat potential and then still have more people to continue fighting?

What weapons, equipment or technology could Ukraine possibly use to fight a war like this? Like could the US army fair any better if they’re being attacked by non stop waves of cannon fodder?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

War in Ukraine: DJI's nutz AWACSd Russias rusty dome

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

If Wagner consists mostly of untrained disposable cannon fodder

It doesn't normally, and the one-time action of “churn through some prisoners” did conclude weeks ago. What hasn't concluded is Wagner's marketing campaign.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kraftwerk posted:

If Wagner consists mostly of untrained disposable cannon fodder, what is it that they are doing that allows Russia to gain ground?

From the sounds of things it looks like the goal here is to grind down the Ukrainian military until it’s no longer able to fight. But how are they able to inflict what are rumoured to be serious casualties to seasoned Ukrainian brigades. Is the problem here just a question of sheer numbers?

Does Russia have so many people that they can dump their prison system on the UAF, inflict enough casualties to degrade their combat potential and then still have more people to continue fighting?

What weapons, equipment or technology could Ukraine possibly use to fight a war like this? Like could the US army fair any better if they’re being attacked by non stop waves of cannon fodder?

Historically Wagner was a core of 5-10k fairly experienced Russian former military that recruited heavily from combat-focused units. They had an advantage in recruiting because they paid well and, very significantly, you could go work for them without having to deal with being at the mercy of the Russian MoD or regular Russian military leadership.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It doesn't normally, and the one-time action of “churn through some prisoners” did conclude weeks ago. What hasn't concluded is Wagner's marketing campaign.

I’m just trying to understand what they’re doing in Bakhmut on a tactical level that is allowing them to inch their way forward. What is Russia doing that Ukraine is not doing to make these territorial gains? Is it a question of one side having better aim? Is it artillery? Are the Russians landing shells and hitting more troops than the Ukrainians are?

Or are they sending so many soldiers at a position that the Ukrainians don’t have the ammo or the people to kill them all fast enough that eventually one or two break through and take out a couple guys before dying and this repeats over and over until the position collapses?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m just trying to understand what they’re doing in Bakhmut on a tactical level that is allowing them to inch their way forward. What is Russia doing that Ukraine is not doing to make these territorial gains? Is it a question of one side having better aim? Is it artillery? Are the Russians landing shells and hitting more troops than the Ukrainians are?

Or are they sending so many soldiers at a position that the Ukrainians don’t have the ammo or the people to kill them all fast enough that eventually one or two break through and take out a couple guys before dying and this repeats over and over until the position collapses?

When Russia has 10-20x advantage in artillery and heavy weapons, they advance. It's irrelevant if the guys taking the positions of retreating Ukrainian soldiers are convicts or some other unit as long as the howitzer and MRLS beats.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Earlier on, wagner was using recruited prisoners as cannon fodder to probe ukranian defensive lines. Most of them were killed, but if any of them happened across a weak point the "actual" wagner troops would follow through and make positional gains.

Now though, the gains seem to be coming because russia is willing to sacrifice a lot of human lives to make those advances, and Ukraine is presumably trying to preserve their combat power and not get their troops killed pointlessly.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

The tactics being used by both sides are to all appearances pretty complicated, with lots of use of infiltration and counterattacks, but it mostly boils down to lots of artillery and a willingness to keep the pressure on. In the modern art of war, weapons are so destructive that only the most lavish static defensive positions have a chance of holding firm against a determined attack.

There's a reason Wagner was complaining extremely loudly when their artillery shell ration was cut to the standard level rather than the apparent much higher level they had been enjoying until very recently. It's also how the Russians were pushing up in the pre-HIMARS offensives- somewhat wasteful infantry 'reconnaissance' (it doesn't have to be 'human wave' tactics to get a lot of people killed), followed by heavy artillery barrages of identified positions.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Kraftwerk posted:

You can destroy anything if you drop enough bombs on it but first you do have to locate and identify defensive positions which is difficult. Russia can't overwhelm all the Ukrainian positions at the same time but Ukraine also can't prevent individual positions from being destroyed.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

If you got two hours to spare today's Perun video is about Russian PMC's with a focus on Wagner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXKUNc9yI2A

And he also did one on the fighting around Bakhmut that covers what you're asking in good detail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fqHERDXVpk

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Atreiden posted:

If you got two hours to spare today's Perun video is about Russian PMC's with a focus on Wagner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXKUNc9yI2A

And he also did one on the fighting around Bakhmut that covers what you're asking in good detail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fqHERDXVpk

To sum it up from what I remember, basically Russia has been prepared to throw a lot more resources at Bakhmut than Ukraine. If Ukraine had decided to hold Bakhmut at all costs, and sent troops that are currently preparing for their next offensive to defend it, it would probably hold. But then Ukraine would be less prepared for the next offensive.

So if you were commanding the Ukraine army, would you send those reinforcements to save Bakhmut? At the risk of your big drive for, say, Melitopol falling short due to you lacking a couple of fresh battalions?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

lilljonas posted:

To sum it up from what I remember, basically Russia has been prepared to throw a lot more resources at Bakhmut than Ukraine. If Ukraine had decided to hold Bakhmut at all costs, and sent troops that are currently preparing for their next offensive to defend it, it would probably hold. But then Ukraine would be less prepared for the next offensive.

So if you were commanding the Ukraine army, would you send those reinforcements to save Bakhmut? At the risk of your big drive for, say, Melitopol falling short due to you lacking a couple of fresh battalions?

If they seriously want to do a meaningful Spring offensive to drive Russians back on some other front when the mud season is over, they'll withhold their newly formed NATO-equipped units as long as territorial defense isn't showing signs of uncontrollable collapse that could cascade.

If Ukrainian Army goes all in on "Bakhmut stands" this can easily go into WW1 re-enactment territory that lasts years, and isn't really the best use of their better-equipped units. They have been savvy on these types of decisions before, hopefully they don't start to believe in their own hype, and keep following the plan of what is smart, instead of what is "glorious".

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
News Round-Up of the Day

Office of the President of Ukraine

quote:

https://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/svit-dostatno-silnij-shob-pokarati-rosiyu-za-vijnu-i-mi-damo-81457

The world is strong enough to punish Russia for the war, and we will provide courage and tools to make it happen - address by the President of Ukraine
5 March 2023 - 20:25

And, of course, this week is another week when our warriors and everyone who helps defend the state made Ukraine's victory even closer. They repelled assaults, destroyed the occupier, undermined enemy positions and logistics, and protected our borders and cities. I am grateful to all those who are currently in combat! I thank everyone whose life saves the life of Ukraine!

Today I would like to pay special tribute to the bravery, strength, and invincibility of the warriors fighting in Donbas. It is one of the toughest battles. Painful and challenging. The 93rd separate mechanized brigade "Kholodnyi Yar", the 77th separate airmobile brigade, the 56th separate motorized infantry brigade, and the 5th separate assault regiment. Our National Guard and border guards are also there. The 3rd operational brigade of the National Guard. Donetsk, Luhansk, Kramatorsk border guard detachments and consolidated detachments "Dozor", "Volyn", "Chernihiv". Thank you, guys! I thank all the soldiers, guardsmen and border guards who are defending our country in the Bakhmut, Vuhledar, Avdiivka, Siversk, Svatove, Lyman and Zaporizhzhia directions.

quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/03/05/bakhmut-ukraine-russia-war-donetsk/

Zelensky calls fight for East ‘painful’ as options dwindle in Bakhmut
By Missy Ryan
Updated March 5, 2023 at 10:22 a.m. EST
Published March 5, 2023 at 7:44 a.m. EST

KYIV, Ukraine — Ukrainian forces clung to their positions in Bakhmut on Sunday, fiercely resisting a Russian push to encircle the city in the eastern Donetsk region and prolonging a fight that has become a symbol of Ukraine’s battlefield defiance.

Ukrainian officials have described their grip on Bakhmut, a small industrial city, as increasingly tenuous in recent days, suggesting they may need to withdraw to prevent their troops from being trapped by Russian fighters advancing on three sides.

The fate of the city, which military experts say holds little strategic value, assumes outsize importance a year into President Vladimir Putin’s full-scale war, as Ukraine prepares for what is likely to be a grueling spring offensive and Western leaders scramble to deliver arms and ammunition they hope will tip the scales in its favor.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, speaking in a nightly video address on Sunday, acknowledged the battlefield difficulties in Ukraine’s embattled east and honored troops fighting there.

“It is one of the toughest battles,” he said. “Painful and challenging.”

Zelensky, in turn, has elevated the importance of Bakhmut, calling it “the fortress of our morale” and celebrating the troops defending it. In December, the Ukrainian leader made a rare front-line visit to Bakhmut to meet with troops. When he visited Washington, he gave U.S. lawmakers a flag from the city. Among Ukrainians, “Bakhmut stands” has become a rallying cry.

quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/03/05/russia-ukraine-war-news-bakhmut/

Ukraine live briefing: Ukrainian troops hold on, with Bakhmut not quite encircled

By Annabelle Timsit, Rachel Pannett and Ben Brasch

Updated March 5, 2023 at 3:44 p.m. EST
Published March 5, 2023 at 1:03 a.m. EST

A grueling seven-month battle for the front-line city of Bakhmut is coming down to street-by-street fighting and skirmishes on its outskirts, where Ukrainian forces are digging narrow trenches into the muddy ground to fortify their positions.

Ukrainian officials say Russian forces have not seized full control of the city, whose capture would offer the Kremlin a symbolic victory after months of battleground setbacks and Ukrainian counteroffensives.

Wall Street Journal

quote:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russias-wagner-troops-exhaust-ukrainian-forces-in-bakhmut-b58e726c

Russia’s Wagner Troops Exhaust Ukrainian Forces in Bakhmut
By Yaroslav Trofimov
Photographs by Manu Brabo for The Wall Street Journal
Updated March 5, 2023 2:56 pm ET

With their policy of executing on the spot troopers who attempt to retreat or surrender, and a disregard for losses that is shocking for modern warfare, Wagner’s disposable penal battalions have emerged as a unique threat to Ukrainian defenders, advancing at the time when the regular Russian military remains largely stalled.

No military in a democratic society can keep sending wave after wave of soldiers to near-certain death to gain another few hundred yards. Even Russia’s regular armed forces, known for their high tolerance of casualties, shy away from dispatching troops on clearly suicidal missions. Yet it is precisely such an approach that has allowed Wagner to come to the verge of capturing Bakhmut, at a cost that Ukrainian and Western officials estimate at tens of thousands of Russian casualties.

On Sunday, Wagner’s forces pushed toward central Bakhmut from the east and the north, as remaining Ukrainian defenders retreated west of the Bakhmutka river that runs through the city. Ukrainian forces battled to retain control over the two remaining supply routes into Bakhmut, with heavy artillery exchanges ringing across the frontline.

Ukraine has also suffered large casualties during the eight months of battling for Bakhmut, losing some of the troops that it needs to mount a spring offensive with new weapons supplied by the U.S. and allies. President Volodymyr Zelensky has come under growing pressure to pull back from the eastern city, home to 70,000 people before the war, in what would be Kyiv’s first such significant retreat since last summer.

Wagner’s goal, Mr. Prigozhin has said, wasn’t so much to take Bakhmut but to grind down Ukraine’s military. To an extent, this plan worked: As Ukraine poured some of its best brigades in to defend the city in recent months, even a lopsided casualty ratio in the Ukrainian favor ultimately worked to Moscow’s advantage given Russia’s larger population—and the fact that Russia was trading ill-trained prisoners for the lives of Ukrainian troops.

Such losses in the Bakhmut area are threatening Kyiv’s ability to mount a strategic counteroffensive once the current mud season ends in the spring and unpaved roads become passable again.

“The war is won not by the party that gains territory, but by the party that destroys the armed forces of the adversary,” said Sr. Lt. Horbatenko, the Third Storm Brigade battalion commander. “Here, we are using up too much of the offensive potential that we’ll need for a breakthrough once Ukraine’s black earth dries up.”

Guardian

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/05/ukraine-fight-for-bakhmut-continues-as-russian-forces-call-for-more-support

Russia-Ukraine war live: Kyiv vows to defend ‘fortress Bakhmut’ – as it happened
Sun 5 Mar 2023 18.17 GMT

Intense fighting has continued in and around the eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut as both Kyiv and Moscow seemingly struggle with ammunition shortages and mounting casualties.

Ukrainian forces still control the city despite the street fighting, the deputy mayor of Bakhmut, Oleksandr Marchenko, told BBC Radio 4. Though Russian forces are pounding the routes out of the city, they have publicly pleaded with Moscow for more supplies. Ukrainian troops said one woman was killed and two men were injured attempting to cross a makeshift bridge on Sunday.

The Russian oligarch Yevgeny Prigozhin, who controls the mercenary Wagner force that is leading the Russian offensive in Bakhmut, warned late on Saturday that if his men were forced to withdraw, it could lead to the collapse of the entire Russian frontline.

Prigozhin has complained that the Russian ministry of defence is not supporting Wagner’s efforts in terms of men and ammunition.

“If the private mercenary force Wagner retreats from Bakhmut, the whole front will crumble … to the Russian borders and maybe further,” said Prigozhin in a video address on Sunday. “Wagner is the cement … We are drawing the entire Ukrainian army on ourselves, breaking them and destroying them.”

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I can't help but wonder a bit if the shadow of Stalingrad hangs over Bahkmut - both Ukraine and Russia have spent generations marinating in Soviet myth-making about Stalingrad, and I imagine both governments are very aware of the symbolic value of a city spending ages under siege and not breaking. The possibility of Stalingrad 2.0 is probably influencing decision-making to some extent, even if only as something that needs to be argued against before deciding not to hold a given position.

Actually for that matter I'm sorta curious - does anyone know what post-independence (and especially post 2014) Ukrainian high school textbooks have to say about Stalingrad? Is it still something that gets brought up in any way, and if so, what do they say about it?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

Probing attacks and infiltration tactics is pretty standard strategies to try if you want to displace a dug in defensive line and you can't just blow them up or otherwise make them leave. Russia is also outshooting Ukraine like 5:1, and artillery is by far the biggest killer in war. The idea of Wagner sending "human waves" are probably a side product of these strategies being high risk for the individual soldiers (especially for those lacking training) and the fact that you always want to attack with local numerical superiority. The defenders are also usually quite spread out due that being an effective way to minimize casualties from enemy artillery.

For example, a 6 man TDF squad manning a 200 meter wide trench line get shelled, they go out of their dugouts after the shelling stops and meet 18 Wagner soldiers, half of which have crawled up into risky flanking positions. They beat them off without much trouble, killing 2 Wagner soldiers that took up risky flanking positions on them. The exact same thing happens 2 days later, but now the shelling takes out 3 defenders. And now the TDF guys take out 3 exposed flankers, but retreat since they can't hold that big trench against that force this time. Because they just lost too much manpower since lady luck more consistently favors the side which throws more shells down range.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

This seems like kind of a big deal, not just the effects on the Ukraine war if he dies, what will happen to Chechnya?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

This seems like kind of a big deal, not just the effects on the Ukraine war if he dies, what will happen to Chechnya?

It's a repost of a tabloid.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Thread favorite Michael Kofman getting in on the Bakhmut analysis, didn't realize he had visited last week.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1632500589769752576?cxt=HHwWgIC8zeKo56ctAAAA

Seems like the fighting and attrition isn't as lopsided towards the Ukrainians and there's fear of losing offensive potential from holding the city. For a place that's supposed to favor the defenders, that's not really a favorable sign.

Noel is also getting in on the mapping updates:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1632500044745121792

Thread reader version, potential :nms: due to embedded video that I didn't check out
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1632500014839656448.html

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's a repost of a tabloid.
One of his generals had a possible attempt back on Feb 8th so it's conceivable...?

quote:

A Russian general was poisoned by a letter laced with an unknown toxin, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov said in a Telegram post on Monday. Kadyrov, who is also a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, said his top general in Ukraine has been poisoned after handling a letter that was sent to him on February 8.

Apti Alaudinov, who commands the Akhmat special forces, picked up a letter that was "saturated with a poisonous substance," Kadyrov said. The general "sensed this by the bitter, specific smell and took action in time: he treated his hands and washed his nasal cavity," Kadyrov added.
https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-general-poison-letter-ukraine-toxin-putin-ramzan-kadyrov-2023-2

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Anyway I'm kind of curious regardless of how important Kadyrov is holding down the fort for Putin in Chechnya, would there a possibility of things kicking off there again without him?

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I can't imagine what those soldiers at Bakhmut are going through. They should have been withdrawn days ago, I hope they can fight their way out and aren't wasted in some bullshit last stand. Live to fight another day, doubly so if the elite units are engaged.

Makes me feel that every NATO country should switch to war production mode, Give the Ukies everything they need. Tanks, SPG's, Arty ammo, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Anyway I'm kind of curious regardless of how important Kadyrov is holding down the fort for Putin in Chechnya, would there a possibility of things kicking off there again without him?

He’s easily at least the third most influential governor of Russia’s subjects, but that doesn’t mean a superjihad from hell if only someone was to get him. Going further though I would suggest the main EE politics thread, though.