Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

halfway through watching -- I'm dumb, but you're not supposed to just inject that stuff right into the wound, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phenotype posted:

halfway through watching -- I'm dumb, but you're not supposed to just inject that stuff right into the wound, right?

As long as it’s in a muscle it should be fine

But it probably should have gone in his butt or hip

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its realistic to do a intramuscular injection of pencillin.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

jesus loving christ joel

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Didn’t realize next week is the season finale. It’s ending so fast.

This one I think tops the list for most gruesome so far.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Didn’t realize next week is the season finale. It’s ending so fast.

This one I think tops the list for most gruesome so far.

Almost entirely same as the game, except extended Ellie stealth combat and extended Joel normal combat.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Another [entire walking dead season arc but in 1 episode] episode. At least we moved the main plot forward an inch, and the character stuff was all really good.

Kinda weird to have the penultimate episode not even bother to set up anything for the finale. Doesn’t give me a lot of confidence heading into next week, for a lot of reasons. But we’ll see, still an enjoyable watch.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

update: jesus loving christ ellie

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

fullroundaction posted:

Another [entire walking dead season arc but in 1 episode] episode. At least we moved the main plot forward an inch, and the character stuff was all really good.

Kinda weird to have the penultimate episode not even bother to set up anything for the finale. Doesn’t give me a lot of confidence heading into next week, for a lot of reasons. But we’ll see, still an enjoyable watch.
it absolutely sets up the finale

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, that went on a little long, no?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

They were hinting at the cannibalism at the tomatoes and 'venison' scene. You could tell they were savages right at that point since the cook didn't even bother to sear the 'venison' before chucking it in the stew.

And then you see the ear. Now you think ok, why would they be cutting ears off unless they were some awful murdkiller cannibals that were cutting the ears off their friends and like making jokes like "Oh that Louis-Tony Slugger, he loved that bat and just thought he'd run up on anybody or a monkey screaming and beat it to death. 'HEY LOUIE, I THINK THEY HEAR YOU COMING!' and bam he's dead." Or they were totally normal community driven cannibals that liked to eat faces.

Secondly, while they were on monkey meat hunt, the town probably was normalized to the taste of monkey meat. So the butchers were chopping up monkey heads. And also as sick cannibals were probably joking around about it too, like reenacting the monkey brain scene from Indiana Jones 2.

Personally, I think this episode was garbage.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

IT BURNS posted:

IIRC the game has Ellie start stabbing the body before Joel comes and stops her.

quote:

It's very weird the show based on the game keeps adapting the game, yeah. :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 6, 2023

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Why must posters instead on spoiling in the non spoiler thread it must be a bit of a kick huh

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Phenotype posted:

jesus loving christ joel

Phenotype posted:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

covidstomper58 posted:

They were hinting at the cannibalism at the tomatoes and 'venison' scene. You could tell they were savages right at that point since the cook didn't even bother to sear the 'venison' before chucking it in the stew.

I know this is a joke but that's actually what I think you're supposed to do if you're in a real starvation situation. You lose calories when you grill the meat over direct heat, but if you boil it in water and then drink the resulting soup then you get as close to 100% of the nutrition as possible.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Phenotype posted:

I know this is a joke but that's actually what I think you're supposed to do if you're in a real starvation situation. You lose calories when you grill the meat over direct heat, but if you boil it in water and then drink the resulting soup then you get as close to 100% of the nutrition as possible.

You still put it in in the stew and pour the drippings into it. Just because they're eating people doesn't mean they can't cook it right.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This show nicely harkens back to the early days of serialized TV on HBO. What I mean is, to steal Speinwall’s favorite complaint, is too much of modern serialized TV feels like a 8 to 10 episode movie (see Stranger Things) and TLOU avoids that. There are a lot of shows that it is hard to distinguish individual episodes when looking back at a full season. That said shows like Six Feet Under (I loved the family dinners), The Sopranos, Deadwood, and so on had episodes that felt self contained while continuing the story. Every episode so far of TLOU have felt completely contained, while continuing the overall story arch. Now TLOU gets to cheat, since in the end it is a journey forward, a quest. Still I have really enjoyed that and outside of the 2 episode arc of Kansas City, each episode has almost (loosely) been self contained. It is one the things I enjoyed about The Crown too, which is really just masquerading as a serialized series.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

covidstomper58 posted:

And then you see the ear. Now you think ok, why would they be cutting ears off unless they were some awful murdkiller cannibals that were cutting the ears off their friends and like making jokes like "Oh that Louis-Tony Slugger, he loved that bat and just thought he'd run up on anybody or a monkey screaming and beat it to death. 'HEY LOUIE, I THINK THEY HEAR YOU COMING!' and bam he's dead." Or they were totally normal community driven cannibals that liked to eat faces.

Secondly, while they were on monkey meat hunt, the town probably was normalized to the taste of monkey meat. So the butchers were chopping up monkey heads. And also as sick cannibals were probably joking around about it too, like reenacting the monkey brain scene from Indiana Jones 2.

Personally, I think this episode was garbage.

On the one hand there’s your whole schtick.

But on the other hand I did just come to this thread to bitch about how they didn’t sear the meat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was also more disturbed that they didn't sear the meat before putting it in the stew as well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They had so much human meat still to eat

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

There were no faces left though, the best part to boil with tomatoes, as Joel noticed when they had the cadavers hanging.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

covidstomper58 posted:

There were no faces left though, the best part to boil with tomatoes, as Joel noticed when they had the cadavers hanging.

Wouldn’t boiling the head be way more likely to cause prion disease?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm allergic to penicillin and have never been given it and never thought about an injectable form or where it goes in. Before I look it up, my guess would be to inject it on the arm either in the vein or arm muscle, would probably go for the muscle because finding a vein is a skill.

Bad news if you're meant to apply directly to improvised weapon wound, I'd be too scared to stab there.

Edit: okay so the answer is anyone infected with me is hosed without the internet to look up the specific drug

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 6, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

I'm allergic to penicillin and have never been given it and never thought about an injectable form or where it goes in. Before I look it up, my guess would be to inject it on the arm either in the vein or arm muscle, would probably go for the muscle because finding a vein is a skill.

Bad news if you're meant to apply directly to improvised weapon wound, I'd be too scared to stab there.

Edit: okay so the answer is anyone infected with me is hosed without the internet to look up the specific drug

As far as I know, penicillin should be injected IM (intramuscular), so into the upper arm or into the buttocks. I take Lovenox (heparin) and insulin injections multiple times daily (for anticoagulation and diabetes), and those need to go into fatty tissue, like the belly or the thigh.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I mean, I've had antibiotics before and it's either a pill or an IV drip or I think a shot into my arm? I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be specifically a bad thing that she was shooting it all right into the wound.

Still ruminating on that scene of Joel's. Jesus. I'm used to having a dark protagonist with a heart of gold but man, that was some straight-up evil torturer poo poo.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Phenotype posted:

I mean, I've had antibiotics before and it's either a pill or an IV drip or I think a shot into my arm? I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be specifically a bad thing that she was shooting it all right into the wound.

Still ruminating on that scene of Joel's. Jesus. I'm used to having a dark protagonist with a heart of gold but man, that was some straight-up evil torturer poo poo.

he was not kidding about doing bad things before. Hes got a deep toolbox to draw from it seems.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

ilmucche posted:

It's something that comes up a bunch, and the range has always felt like the biggest issue to me. I get that real life explosions would blow my eardrums out, but that's not what I'm looking for from a tv show/movie

I had a pretty decent 7 point stereo system and a few times when one friend was over stoned I cranked it up very loudly playing Call of Duty on the xbox for offensively loud gunfire sounds and stuff, to where it mildly hurt the ears, the guns going off produced a little bit of concussion and were loud enough to shock you a bit. That was a lot of fun

But yes generally it's bad in more traditional media for reasons

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nate fisher posted:

This show nicely harkens back to the early days of serialized TV on HBO. What I mean is, to steal Speinwall’s favorite complaint, is too much of modern serialized TV feels like a 8 to 10 episode movie (see Stranger Things) and TLOU avoids that. There are a lot of shows that it is hard to distinguish individual episodes when looking back at a full season. That said shows like Six Feet Under (I loved the family dinners), The Sopranos, Deadwood, and so on had episodes that felt self contained while continuing the story. Every episode so far of TLOU have felt completely contained, while continuing the overall story arch. Now TLOU gets to cheat, since in the end it is a journey forward, a quest. Still I have really enjoyed that and outside of the 2 episode arc of Kansas City, each episode has almost (loosely) been self contained. It is one the things I enjoyed about The Crown too, which is really just masquerading as a serialized series.

Agreed with all of this, for the most part I greatly enjoy this mode of storytelling over the "extra-long movie" style that's so in vogue these days.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

McSpanky posted:

Agreed with all of this, for the most part I greatly enjoy this mode of storytelling over the "extra-long movie" style that's so in vogue these days.

i have been rewatching the x files with a couple new viewers over the past few months, and having contained episodes is so nice. Also having 25 episodes a season was loving awesome, even if it means you get boring and bad episodes sometimes. Even those have charming moments or somethign funny in them. I miss that from modern prestige tv.

This is pretty close, though sadly a short season, though obviously standard these days.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Guy really piled on the creepy characteristics when any one of his things are evil enough on their own.

Fatality at end well deserved. Ellie extremely quick thinking on her feet backed into the worst corners.

I did expect some kind of "albatross soup" moment with the community the next day if they were served real venison, but preacher couldn't even wait a day before not even trying to hide being evil anymore.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Timby posted:

As far as I know, penicillin should be injected IM (intramuscular), so into the upper arm or into the buttocks. I take Lovenox (heparin) and insulin injections multiple times daily (for anticoagulation and diabetes), and those need to go into fatty tissue, like the belly or the thigh.

Penicillin is primarily injected intramuscular in those common locations because it is usually used to treat a systemic infection and that’s usually more effective overall. However, Penicillin and many other drugs work fine when injected locally at a specific part of the body to fight an infection/reduce pain/etc. A good example are oral injections in dental procedures often contain a penicillin based solution that is injected as a local Prophylactic.

The biggest risk of injecting penicillin not in the arm/buttocks is accidentally injecting it into a vein and causing seizures, tissue damages, heart attack, or death. Outside of the veins servicing the abdominal organs, there aren’t many veins where Ellie injected.

Joel’s reaction was a bit extreme in getting better so quickly but penicillin is a very strong drug when injected. It will immediately start breaking down bacteria causing the infection and you will see significant improvements within a day in some cases.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Very good episode. As another poster said it's not clear (as a non game player) where the finale is headed. Since game players are insisting that it is going somewhere and all (or at least some) of the groundwork is in motion I'm very confident we are in for a treat and a well done episode.

Can't wait to come back here next week and see the complaints about not properly bracing a neck injury, pumping a bike tire, or poaching an egg.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I was also more disturbed that they didn't sear the meat before putting it in the stew as well.

Same. I literally gasped out loud when they just dumped it all right into the stewpot.

Also that was the most guilty-sounding "it's venison" I've ever heard.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

they never got to see the end of the lord of the rings trilogy..

A travesty...

GoutPatrol posted:

or the matrix trilogy

A blessing

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

withak posted:

Same. I literally gasped out loud when they just dumped it all right into the stewpot.

I'm pretty sure that if you ever ask someone "what meat is this" and it take them that long to respond, just assume it's made of people.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

IT BURNS posted:

Don't you think David went a little long?

Show owns.

Watched some side-by-side clips of the game and the show from a few episodes, and it's pretty clear the game owns too.

edit: reading back a page and someone said the Joel game voice actor was in this episode so I googled him and

quote:

Troy Baker (born April 1, 1976) is an American voice actor and musician. Baker is known for his video game roles, including Joel Miller in The Last of Us franchise, Booker DeWitt in BioShock Infinite (2013), Samuel "Sam" Drake in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (2016) and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (2017), Rhys in Tales from the Borderlands (2014), Snow Villiers in Final Fantasy XIII (2010), Kanji Tatsumi in Persona 4 (2008), Higgs Monaghan in Death Stranding (2019), and Talion in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (2014) and Middle-earth: Shadow of War (2017). He also voiced Magni in God of War (2018). He currently holds the record for the most acting nominations at the BAFTA Games Awards, with 5 between 2013 and 2021.

Holy poo poo. This guy is the Midas Touch of voice acting. I've played a bunch of those games and never could have guessed it was all the same guy.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 6, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

withak posted:

My thought on it was they're eating to survive/extract as much nutrition as possible.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Didn't seem like those guys really needed to be eating people

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The stunt scene with Ellie falling off her horse was hardcore well done. That looked like it hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea they're really incompetent considering there's an obese elderly couple in a shack like a state away.