Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Valve spends the money they save by hiring people to come to your place and read their messages while you play.

Gabe ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mordja posted:

Babe, new Doom 4 trailer just dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoOf-dsm5qM

Cool piece of history, but I thank my stars that Doom managed to skip over that generation of games. Both 3 and 2016 look great, but there was that period in between where "Dark, bloom, and monochromatic (choose your one color)" was most large budget games with a gritty atmosphere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

drrockso20 posted:

Well at least in the present day all it takes is like 5 bucks on a trading site to get every unique weapon in the game and probably a couple hats as well, it's actually pretty cheap to get cosmetics if you just want the basic kind, it's only when you want Unusuals that it generally gets expensive

Sure, but you shouldn't have to engage with a third party trading site in the first place. Of course, a big part of the problem is that when TF2 went free to play, Valve immediately started making the crafting recipes 300% more dickish in order to drive you towards buying the new weapons outright. Before that the recipes were a lot more fair.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What if Half Life 2 was Quake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGe2OJf8G0

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The Kins posted:

In other news, Alkaline v1.2 is out now, bringing a pile of new maps, a reworked weapon and a host of visual improvements to its special brand of sci-fi Quake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevTGzPbNQs

what is it. a mod?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what is it. a mod?
In a word, yes.

In many words: a collection of 20 disconnected levels with a host of new monsters, weapons and items to expand upon Quake's military base/sci-fi level theme, all featuring the Quake 1 community at the absolute peak of their game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is there a legal way to buy a new copy of Gunman Chronicles?

I finished Witchaven and thirst for more FPS

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Unless you find a physical copy of it, it's on the archives/filez territory. Gunman Chronicles is a good game unlike Witchaven so you'll enjoy it more I hope.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

John Murdoch posted:

Sure, but you shouldn't have to engage with a third party trading site in the first place. Of course, a big part of the problem is that when TF2 went free to play, Valve immediately started making the crafting recipes 300% more dickish in order to drive you towards buying the new weapons outright. Before that the recipes were a lot more fair.

Weapon crafting was never a big part of tf2, outside of I guess that brief window between the war and mannconomy updates. And buying weapons directly from valve even less so after 2010. You're making up very weird grievances about that game.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

It's still great, at least if you stick to Community Servers, though if you want something closer to the launch experience there is Team Fortress 2 Classic

This isn't the launch experience i'm looking for. I've tried it and it's better than what the game is now, but still not great.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Barudak posted:

https://www.moddb.com/games/gunman-chronicles/downloads/gunman-chronicles-steam-version

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Weapon crafting was never a big part of tf2, outside of I guess that brief window between the war and mannconomy updates. And buying weapons directly from valve even less so after 2010. You're making up very weird grievances about that game.

I'm speaking from firsthand experience. I'm not making up a drat thing.

My primary way of getting the new poo poo was to craft them using my otherwise useless dupes. As soon as the game went F2P the recipes went from reasonable to requiring multiple copies of the next latest set of weapons. Ie, the ones I was guaranteed to have the least of. Has nothing to do with it being a "big part" of the game. It was just another facet of Valve tinkering with their mtx strategy.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 5, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
By the time the game went f2p you could easily trade any weapon for a scrap unless it had only been out for like a week.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Baron von Eevl posted:

unless it had only been out for like a week.

Guess what period of time I was most concerned with obtaining new weapons?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

koren posted:

This isn't the launch experience i'm looking for. I've tried it and it's better than what the game is now, but still not great.

They have servers that restrict everything to just the actual stock 2007/8 experience

personally I think you're being way too picky though

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

koren posted:

h0ly gently caress a 4 team mode? i gotta get back in

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

verbal enema posted:

h0ly gently caress a 4 team mode? i gotta get back in

Its not actually very good, never enough players for one thing(on a standard 24 player team it means only 6 players per team) and too chaotic even for a game like TF2C*

Though at least until the next major update for TF2C itself the most exciting thing to do in TF2C is to hop onto a custom weapons server and embrace the madness

*again this is for the fan made Team Fortress 2 Classic, not for regular TF2

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Fond memories of spawning bots far in excess of the prescribed amounts in UT’99 domination maps, one half telefragging the other half due to insufficient spawn nodes for the first 15 seconds or so, and then indulging in the complete abject chaos of 4 packed teams crammed into a level built for 12 or 16 players.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
What's the correct answer for "what sourceport do I play alkaline on"

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Tim Thomas posted:

vkQuake is my go to. I've found it to perform better than QuakeSpasm-Spiked on big/detailed maps

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i logged into tf2 in i think like 2012 to get the pyro goggles and logged back out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank you.

Time to gently caress this up

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Tim Thomas posted:

vkQuake or Ironwail.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of UT, I just stumbled on this in my Steam recs and I hope it ends up being good: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1893370/GHOSTWARE_Arena_of_the_Dead/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gunman Chronicles is really cool. I played it a few months ago using that Steam version and it's really fun. There's so many crazy ideas in it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Gunman Chronicles is really cool. I played it a few months ago using that Steam version and it's really fun. There's so many crazy ideas in it.

Yeah for real. At the time, I found it to be such a wild setting: a dusty retro-futuristic confederate sci-fi, a robot army run by not-Shodan, a bizarre alien zoo...and dinosaurs (of course).

The arsenal in particular is so weird and complex, even with the "basic" stuff. A pistol that can fire hitscan beams, charged or rapid spray projectiles, AND a sniper mode? A shotgun that can be cycled between different modes (Rifle, Shotgun, and Riotgun) AND you control how many shells it uses per shot (1-4)? The MULE rocket launcher, Polaris Blade, and Chemical Gun all have like a dozen different firing combinations, but there's also strange stuff like being able to use the MULE's ammunition without the launcher, the malfunction modes on the Mecha Gun and Polaris Blade, etc.

For a game with basically six guns, the devs certainly wrenched every bit of utility out of them.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Gunman Chronicles owns and I agree with every point made in this conversation

That said, my one issue is that you can’t save your favourite weapon configurations - every time you switch guns, you have to reconfigure them manually. Unless there’s an option I missed…

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So obviously this isn't a early FPS, but I was watching a pair of videos of The Finals, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCVLiQk2Npg

and it has jump pads, high ttk, light / medium / heavy 'classes', it isn't a Battle Royale or a 'Conquest' game mode, it has stuff like the invisibility + dagger from the TF2 or the Pyro's flamethrower or deployable turret, it has an "announcer" voice, and dunno, I had vibes as if it was a 00s Source or UT mod.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played the first beta of that and thought it was great; looking forward to it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's looking very likely that CSGO2/CS2 is coming soon, there's a bunch of activity happening in the steam depos which resembles what happened when dota moved over to source 2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've been calling it CSGO2hell because that's where it belongs!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

repiv posted:

if you do get the urge to go back there's more content already implemented, in the form of a hidden boss fight

it's hard hard though, beyond gabe redux and V2 redux

Just beat it, on violent. 5 style points shy of a P-rank. Not even 500, 5. I'm so utterly deflated. But it is extremely funny. Plus hey, at least I know I can beat it now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

at least there's nothing gated behind P ranking the prime sanctums

...yet

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Most guns were overpowered and had bullet penetration from CS so you could kill marines and aliens behind walls. The mod ruled since you could kill Nihilant from the ground as bullets would go through the head easily.

Oh yeah Counter-Life is loving hilarious, highly recommended.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What Counter-Strike is right now is not what I have fun doing but <looks at player base size> I should not be courted

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Every few years I install CSGO2, play a couple rounds of Gun Game then uninstall.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

It saddens me that CS:GO's community browser is filled with spam.

CS: Source and 1.6/CZ have a handful of servers with weird custom content. I miss the era where game devs turned a blind eye to rampant copyright infringement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln59fWw0Xz8

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CSGO with goons is good fun

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ilmucche posted:

CSGO with goons is good fun

The CSGOons crew has been a solid crew for over a decade, yeah

(I'm biased but tell no lies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Turin Turambar posted:

So obviously this isn't a early FPS, but I was watching a pair of videos of The Finals, like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCVLiQk2Npg

and it has jump pads, high ttk, light / medium / heavy 'classes', it isn't a Battle Royale or a 'Conquest' game mode, it has stuff like the invisibility + dagger from the TF2 or the Pyro's flamethrower or deployable turret, it has an "announcer" voice, and dunno, I had vibes as if it was a 00s Source or UT mod.

I also saw a video of this yesterday, looks interesting. The big draw seems to be that environments are almost entirely destructible ("almost" is a necessity to keep it from being completely broken) but it's handled server-side to make it work better for everyone. Promising if true.