Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The first boss on NG+ is actually kind of brutal because he has real boss stats now and you can't skip the second phase. The true final boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

No I checked with it active. Still didn’t work

set bonuses count the number of items you're wearing in addition to the first piece of the set you put on, so wearing trinket + weapon only meets the requirement for the first set bonus; you'll need at least three items equipped to get the second

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
whoever made this Zhang Rang fight can suck my dick, this fight is totally incompatible with the lock on mechanics

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

whoever made this Zhang Rang fight can suck my dick, this fight is totally incompatible with the lock on mechanics

Use the life steal wood spell, you can get lots of healing off the clones.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nighteyedie posted:

Use the life steal wood spell, you can get lots of healing off the clones.

oh I already beat it, I just want to do bad things to whoever thought getting attacked off screen by 9 different dudes was a good idea

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s the Team Ninja special

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

oh I already beat it, I just want to do bad things to whoever thought getting attacked off screen by 9 different dudes was a good idea

please imagine trying to do that fight with joystick mouselook and you'll understand the true nightmare of wo long

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Complaints tied to playing with kb+m are invalid. Also the clones are rough at the very start of the fight but then you kill a couple and they all start getting spirit broken with a couple hits and can be cleared out completely safely.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can change how the lock-on works in the options

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cirina posted:

Complaints tied to playing with kb+m are invalid.

kb+m is the de facto superior way to play due to not requiring you to awkwardly push the sticks in to sprint/lockon or shift your thumb off the left stick to use items

though in all seriousness the literal only problem is the mouselook being poo poo and they're fixing that anyways, so i'm happy to keep trundling along until that drops and i can bump up to 120 FPS

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've just reached dong zhuo's palace and this is feeling just like nioh in that i'm going to clear it, go "well that was nice" and then forget all about it, though i am looking forward to lu bu

the lack of enemy variety is really hurting it, probably moreso than the first nioh because the parry-heavy combat means you notice the repetition of movesets a lot more

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the lack of enemy variety is really hurting it, probably moreso than the first nioh because the parry-heavy combat means you notice the repetition of movesets a lot more

this is a game that absolutely could've benefited from something prey-like where you've got elemental variants of enemies that have one or two more special moves to watch out for, like an assassin with a fire blast or whatever

i don't mind having relatively similar movesets, since it's nice to have that feeling of gradual mastery as the game goes on, but you eventually start getting to the point in a build where you can blow up most things in an opening volley with an infused weapon, so the number of moves you have to watch for is shrunk to an even smaller pool

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What was that burning city boss, was that even a boss? The most difficult part was platforming the kill spot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A really large number of enemies seem to have eyes in the back of their heads. they'll be facing the opposite direction but as soon as you move out of the way of any obstructions they see you from behind them, at the slowest/quietest movement speed.

edit: I have just been detected with the invisibility spell active behind someone and not moving. enemy detection seems entirely broken.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 6, 2023

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I hope they introduce yasakani magatama again, that thing was basically a requirement to put cool builds together.

There's not much in NG+ yet, right? I've heard there's no new enemies or anything drastically different except the gear is slightly better.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I've put in ~16h so far, and I'm loving Wo Long.

My favorite part of Nioh is Haze. Unfortunately, it only works on half the enemies. Here, it's part of the core gameplay loop, with every weapon against virtually every enemy type. The wuxia tone also makes counters more theatrical and (for me) satisfying. Add flexible (but not over-complicated) wizardry, reduce reliance on prebuffs, and it broadly comes together.

Been pleased with enemy types so far. The exact timing on normal attacks varies a bit, but parry windows for criticals often have similarities. Getting that timing right is so fun, especially when it's multiple in a row (that then open up a counter). The one enemy that consistently gave me fits for a while is the Assassin - at least until I said "gently caress it" and went full offense. They melt under it. Since then, I've been gradually remembering the objective of these games is to find all the bullshit ways to kill enemies effectively, because they'll bring bullshit at you otherwise.

Also, while I genuinely enjoy the mission-based structure of Nioh, everything in Wo Long feels a bit more connected due to the auto-loads and central village. The ability to salvage/upgrade/etc. as you like, then return to the last mission flag you were at is really smart.

Someone mentioned similarity to Nioh missions earlier and, yep, I feel the same. There's the burning city, there's the rickety docks and small boats in stormy water, and so on. I don't know if years of playing Team Ninja games has made me that much better at sussing out suspicious areas or if enemy placement is markedly different in Wo Long, but I'm generally the one doing the ambushing this time. The Water spell that silences footsteps is golden for backstabbing demons, especially the quick ones.

Anyway, there's a ton left, including endgame/postgame stuff. We'll see how it holds up. So far, I'm having a blast.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tae posted:

What was that burning city boss, was that even a boss? The most difficult part was platforming the kill spot.

it's an extremely visually impressive boss that really needed, like, one or two more mechanics shoved into the fight

the camera is good enough there that you could get away with having, i dunno, falling demonic qi shards you gotta avoid or whatever

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

I hope they introduce yasakani magatama again, that thing was basically a requirement to put cool builds together.

There's not much in NG+ yet, right? I've heard there's no new enemies or anything drastically different except the gear is slightly better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wolongfallendynasty/comments/11jkpaj/yasakani_magatama_equivalent_can_be_rolled_on/

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

with the existing sets all the good poo poo is way deep into the sets so idk how useful that'll actually be but it does seem like you can roll better stuff on equipment in general so it might be fine.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Got invaded by someone who wanted to hassle me while I had the Sun brothers with me, and while they kick their asses, they didn't think to stop swinging wildly and let me have a free parry into finisher. The netcode's leaving something to be desired, also.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

isk posted:

I've put in ~16h so far, and I'm loving Wo Long.

My favorite part of Nioh is Haze. Unfortunately, it only works on half the enemies. Here, it's part of the core gameplay loop, with every weapon against virtually every enemy type. The wuxia tone also makes counters more theatrical and (for me) satisfying. Add flexible (but not over-complicated) wizardry, reduce reliance on prebuffs, and it broadly comes together.

Been pleased with enemy types so far. The exact timing on normal attacks varies a bit, but parry windows for criticals often have similarities. Getting that timing right is so fun, especially when it's multiple in a row (that then open up a counter). The one enemy that consistently gave me fits for a while is the Assassin - at least until I said "gently caress it" and went full offense. They melt under it. Since then, I've been gradually remembering the objective of these games is to find all the bullshit ways to kill enemies effectively, because they'll bring bullshit at you otherwise.

Also, while I genuinely enjoy the mission-based structure of Nioh, everything in Wo Long feels a bit more connected due to the auto-loads and central village. The ability to salvage/upgrade/etc. as you like, then return to the last mission flag you were at is really smart.

Someone mentioned similarity to Nioh missions earlier and, yep, I feel the same. There's the burning city, there's the rickety docks and small boats in stormy water, and so on. I don't know if years of playing Team Ninja games has made me that much better at sussing out suspicious areas or if enemy placement is markedly different in Wo Long, but I'm generally the one doing the ambushing this time. The Water spell that silences footsteps is golden for backstabbing demons, especially the quick ones.

Anyway, there's a ton left, including endgame/postgame stuff. We'll see how it holds up. So far, I'm having a blast.

I am also having a great time with this game, once I was able to get around the technical issues on PC it's been phenomenal. The changes they made from the first demo to now really transformed how satisfying it feels. I have small gripes but nothing that has been enough to dampen how good the fundamentals feel.

which spell silences footsteps?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Bystander posted:

Got invaded by someone who wanted to hassle me while I had the Sun brothers with me, and while they kick their asses, they didn't think to stop swinging wildly and let me have a free parry into finisher. The netcode's leaving something to be desired, also.

the netcode for me has been a real land of contrasts, where it's either working flawlessly with maybe a tiny bit of delay, or it's causing every NPC and player on my screen to start vibrating at light speed

i do think the coop works best with a single other person after having done it a bunch: three people just effortlessly mow down bosses, but two requires some real skill and feels like a genuine challenge

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
in contrast to my earlier problems Lu Bu was an awesome fight

I do wish they gave you a bigger opening to attack him after you knock him off his horse though, would have felt more satisfying if I got a bigger reward for doing so

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

A really large number of enemies seem to have eyes in the back of their heads. they'll be facing the opposite direction but as soon as you move out of the way of any obstructions they see you from behind them, at the slowest/quietest movement speed.

edit: I have just been detected with the invisibility spell active behind someone and not moving. enemy detection seems entirely broken.

You can hold block and jump and it still counts as silent. I just silently jump towards enemies to backstab them lol.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I kind of dislike the morale system, it's not particularly fun to either be unnecessarily weak against boss or have to comb through a level you have already beaten because you missed some stuff

One of the things I found to be a benefit of the system: when I backtracked through the 3rd stage looking for a missing flag, the enemies kept getting weaker and weaker because by then my morale was pinned to 18 or whatever and they were still sitting at like 5. Made replaying old sections significantly less painful.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Oxxidation posted:

I'm going to dissent on this. Having more enemies would have made the parry system as it is horrible. Because the enemy attack animations mostly follow the "slow samey windup->super fast strike" you pretty much have to memorize the timing to successfully deflect. So having the same animations show up all throughout the game is pretty much the only way to have mastery of it for most players, unless they want to completely change how they do attack animations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

One of the things I found to be a benefit of the system: when I backtracked through the 3rd stage looking for a missing flag, the enemies kept getting weaker and weaker because by then my morale was pinned to 18 or whatever and they were still sitting at like 5. Made replaying old sections significantly less painful.

it's a really clever system in a lot of ways: it makes backtracking to find stuff less tedious and creates a clear arc of power in every mission

especially later on in the game, starting at morale 0 with no access to your good spells can be torturous, the difference in power when i have infuse lightning vs. when i don't is crystal clear and it always feels good when i finally get access to it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If anyone is stressing whether to salvage or sell items, salvage everything. You get waaaay more money for just selling the materials you get rather than selling the item outright. Keep any 4 stars you think you might want in the future though, and save a few junk 4 stars to trade with pandas

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't forget, when backtracking to old areas to look for missing flags and whatnot, there's a stat you can slot into your armor that marks them on the minimap for you

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Played way more of this game this weekend than I intended. It’s good poo poo. PS5 performance mode is a little more framey than I’d like, but the PC version seems like the typical Japanese console port nightmare so I’ll deal with it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Babe Magnet posted:

don't forget, when backtracking to old areas to look for missing flags and whatnot, there's a stat you can slot into your armor that marks them on the minimap for you

CaoCao also does this after bond level 5(?)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hatty posted:

That’s the Team Ninja special

They're not a team of ninjas as a joke

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Whoever designed this three-on-one fight loving sucks lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that 3v1 was the first time in the game I felt like I had to go upgrade my gear and not just use whatever looked cool at the time. Ended up putting them on farm status with the poleaxe.

RatHat posted:

CaoCao also does this after bond level 5(?)

yeah but I try not to use AI helpers, they're so annoying lol. good to know though for people who do, I completely forgot that they give you passives

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Bystander posted:

I ran around the map until one of them got stuck in a tree.

outplayed

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

A Bystander posted:

I spent like 45 minutes banging my head against this before realizing I had forgotten to upgrade the weapon I was using. :negative:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

A Bystander posted:

I got stuck on it for a while, then I figured out spells and cheesed them down with traps while running in circles until it was a more manageable 2-on-1.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Each day we stray further from god's light.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Huhuhuhuhuh... "long".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!