Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Anyway after careful thought here’s the unbalanced pod scheduling format for a 16 team iteration of the Big 12 that will almost certainly never happen:

Western Pod
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Colorado
Utah

Texas Pod
Baylor
Houston
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech

Heartand Pod
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

Eastern Pod
Cincinnati
UCF
West Virginia

8 game schedule (everyone gets plenty of non-con takes to pay for all that travel)
Even years - Western Pod and Eastern Pod are paired, Texas Pod and Heartland Pod are paired
Odd Years - Western Pod and Heartland Pod are paired, Texas Pod and Eastern Pod are paired

That makes seven games for each team; for the 8th game the two five team pods and the two three team pods slowly cycle through each other. Everyone plays each other pretty regularly except the Texas and Western team. They only see each other once every five years, but that’s not really any great loss.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

I think y'all should read about the proposed Airplane Conference that could have happened in 1959 if the Pentagon didn't nix it.

I'd never heard of this

East: Army, Navy, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
West: Air Force, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington

loving wild

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If the Big 12 really goes to 16 teams, they should just keep the 9 game schedule and do two divisions of 8 teams. Play 7 in-division, play 2 out of division. Guarantees that you play every school at least once in 4 years.

West
Colorado
Utah
BYU
Arizona
ASU
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor

East
Kansas
ISU
KSU
Houston
UCF
Cincinnati
WVU
OSU

e: if you wanted to keep 2 Texas teams in each division then swap like Baylor and OSU or something.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 6, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Adding the four corner school to the big 12 sets up a pretty tidy 4-team pod situation:

West
BYU
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

North
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

South
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston

East
Iowa State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
UCF

Do a 3-2-2-2 conference schedule, no cross-pod rivalries. Balances competitiveness, geography, and history. Everyone gets a game in Texas every year. Bing bong so simple

Also lol what in the world is this av

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel like the unbalanced pods (5, 5, 3, 3) aren’t as tidy, but keeps everyone a lot happier; effectively giving the mountain schools and the Texas schools (Oklahoma State included) the feeling of each having their own little conference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

Adding the four corner school to the big 12 sets up a pretty tidy 4-team pod situation:

West
BYU
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

North
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

South
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston

East
Iowa State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
UCF

Do a 3-2-2-2 conference schedule, no cross-pod rivalries. Balances competitiveness, geography, and history. Everyone gets a game in Texas every year. Bing bong so simple

Also lol what in the world is this av

Yeah this works pretty well although Iowa State might be miffed to be thrown into what is basically the "other" pod since the pods are Big 8, Pac 10, SWC, Other.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Losing annual Tennessee and LSU games really loving sucks

LSU is always so tough. Even during the Tebow days they were a huge obstacle. I'm not heartbroken, especially since UGA and FSU are big annual games. Losing Tennessee just feels wrong, though.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dunno why but I just thought about something like a 6-6-6 configuration in a hypothetical 18-team conference. 5 game round robin inside a division, 4 games against the other divisions, and 3 non-conference games. Division winners plus one wild card in a four team playoff. The top two teams play a 13 game schedule though, so maybe cut one of the non-conference games?

The SEC can send that royalty check straight to these nuts.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dirty shrimp money posted:

Dunno why but I just thought about something like a 6-6-6 configuration in a hypothetical 18-team conference. 5 game round robin inside a division, 4 games against the other divisions, and 3 non-conference games. Division winners plus one wild card in a four team playoff. The top two teams play a 13 game schedule though, so maybe cut one of the non-conference games?

The SEC can send that royalty check straight to these nuts.

I have a hard time seeing a conference championship playoff ever being permitted or desired. The championship games are already about to be pretty pointless for the SEC and Big Ten once the 12-team playoff is in place; no use in adding more filler to that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Insane to think Tennessee is losing the Florida game when they finally unfucked the program and were set to dominate them for a decade smdh

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Announce SDSU to anywhere please

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

I have a hard time seeing a conference championship playoff ever being permitted or desired. The championship games are already about to be pretty pointless for the SEC and Big Ten once the 12-team playoff is in place; no use in adding more filler to that.

Counterpoint: money

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Florida dodged Tennessee for 60 years and happened to be good in the '90s because they got a coach who grew up in Tennessee.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

The PAC-12 is hyperfucked in the long term; but I have a hard time seeing the tv contract being so bad that anybody jumps for the Big 12 right now. This largely smells like a few perfunctory phone calls being spun into hot, hot offseason content.

Those school presidents aren’t going to sign off on leaving the Pac-12 for $5 million/year (at most) extra tv revenue.

$5 mil/year is a 10-20% revenue boost depending on where things fall out in '25-26. TV-only Big XII deal is $30 mil/team, so going from $25 mil to $30 mil is a good chunk if that's how it works out. That's not small fries.

e: scheduling format - no divisions, variable fixed rivalries (some teams get 1, some get 4, Iowa State doesn't get any), rest of schedule randomized by a computer based on previous year's results (with the top half getting tougher schedules and the bottom half easier).

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 6, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

$5 mil/year is a 10-20% revenue boost depending on where things fall out in '25-26. TV-only Big XII deal is $30 mil/team, so going from $25 mil to $30 mil is a good chunk if that's how it works out. That's not small fries.

It's not small fries, but I think the decision makers (especially at CU but also the others) are likely to still put a lot of value into the perceived academic clout Pac-12 membership brings. To make that kind of move this year, I think it would require quite large fries.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

It's not small fries, but I think the decision makers (especially at CU but also the others) are likely to still put a lot of value into the perceived academic clout Pac-12 membership brings. To make that kind of move this year, I think it would require quite large fries.

I do think the difference would need to be in the range of ~$10 mil to get them to move. ~$5 mil leaves them on the fence, especially if adding any additional teams are going to reduce payouts the schools.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah this works pretty well although Iowa State might be miffed to be thrown into what is basically the "other" pod since the pods are Big 8, Pac 10, SWC, Other.

Yea, those blow for me. There are three schools closer to ISU than Cincinnati, the closest school in that pod, and probably 6-7 more schools closer to us than WVU, the next closest school in that pod. This is why I hate 4 team pods, they're just too small and 1-2 schools are going to get totally hosed. I also hate having all the Texas teams in one pod because it recreates the same imbalance we had with the old Big 12 north/south divisions.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, those blow for me. There are three schools closer to ISU than Cincinnati, the closest school in that pod, and probably 6-7 more schools closer to us than WVU, the next closest school in that pod. This is why I hate 4 team pods, they're just too small and 1-2 schools are going to get totally hosed. I also hate having all the Texas teams in one pod because it recreates the same imbalance we had with the old Big 12 north/south divisions.

It does suck for ISU that way.

But it'll wind up sucking for someone

If we take a balanced 4 team pod based on GD's, it winds up more even, but also sucks for Houston specifically:

Western Pod
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Utah

Texas Pod
Baylor
Colorado
TCU
Texas Tech

Heartand Pod
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

Eastern Pod
Houston
Cincinnati
UCF
West Virginia

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

west virginia you gotta get out of there girl

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

It does suck for ISU that way.

But it'll wind up sucking for someone

If we take a balanced 4 team pod based on GD's, it winds up more even, but also sucks for Houston specifically:

Western Pod
Arizona
Arizona State
BYU
Utah

Texas Pod
Baylor
Colorado
TCU
Texas Tech

Heartand Pod
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

Eastern Pod
Houston
Cincinnati
UCF
West Virginia

Yeah I think Houston is the only one that's really unhappy there; they didn't claw their way into the Big 12 to be stuck in a ghetto with their old AAC mates. Colorado I'm sure is happy enough to get a foot back in Texas.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

General Dog posted:

Not with conf champs getting byes. Those games aren't going to be for playoff admission, but they will absolutely matter for seeding and byes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

With the way realignment is going they should take the byes from the ACC and Pac-12 to give to the Big 10 and SEC runners up. :colbert:

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Big Ten should swap Rutgers for WVU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Florida dodged Tennessee for 60 years and happened to be good in the '90s because they got a coach who grew up in Tennessee.

You're missing the last 20 years where we annually Mr. Magoo'd our way past Tennessee.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

The Big Ten should swap Rutgers for WVU

A sack of magic beans would be an adequate trade.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Soylent Pudding posted:

With the way realignment is going they should take the byes from the ACC and Pac-12 to give to the Big 10 and SEC runners up. :colbert:

The idea that the Big 10 could field a second team other than Ohio State that could actually be a legit contender is the funny part of this.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

In a 12-team playoff maybe 4 teams will be legit contenders.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sash! posted:

A sack of magic beans would be an adequate trade.

Do they have to be magic?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rick posted:

The idea that the Big 10 could field a second team other than Ohio State that could actually be a legit contender is the funny part of this.

I don't think it is much of a stretch think that between Michigan, Penn State, and USC that the Big Ten could get two teams into the final four. I'd consider it to be more a function of how the seeding worked than available teams.

Heck, if we'd had the format this year, you'd have probably seen a Michigan-Ohio State rematch in the semi finals. #6 Ohio State defeats #11 Penn State and #3 Clemson, which doesn't seem like a stretch. Michigan would have had a win over the winner of Alabama/USC and that doesn't seem implausible either.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Judgy Fucker posted:

In a 12-team playoff maybe 4 teams will be legit contenders.

Tulane doesn’t belong on the field with USC

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Tulane doesn’t belong on the field with USC

:ssh: Let them keep sleeping on the American

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Look at the polls for the last decade and try to find more than 6 in any given year that make sense to be competing for a natty. You won't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Look at the polls for the last decade and try to find more than 6 in any given year that make sense to be competing for a natty. You won't.

True, but in a single elimination format with increased opportunities to gently caress up (or get injured) and less time to prep, strange things can happen. We will probably never get a G5 champ but a random 5 seed could certainly get the right breaks for one.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Teams not in the playoffs from the past season that were better than TCU include: Tennessee, Alabama, Tulane, Clemson, and USC. Possibly Penn State, Washington, and Kansas State.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 8, 2023

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Teams not in the playoffs from the past season that were better than TCU include: Tennessee, Alabama, Tulane, Clemson, and USC. Possibly Penn State, Washington, and Kansas State.

I don’t know if TCU losing to Georgia by 100 points means they’re any worse than Tennessee who lost to South Carolina by 100 points.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Spacebump posted:

what

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

True, but in a single elimination format with increased opportunities to gently caress up (or get injured) and less time to prep, strange things can happen. We will probably never get a G5 champ but a random 5 seed could certainly get the right breaks for one.

I think it will take less than four seasons for something like a #11 Penn State to upset a #6 Notre Dame then knock off an 8-5 #3 Pitt who ended up with the bye because they'd upset then #2 Florida State in the ACC Championship before heading into a rematch against #2 Ohio State, not blowing a fourth quarter lead this time, and then getting vaporized by #1 Georgia.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

This list is entirely to get Tulane in there isn't it?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

a neat cape posted:

Announce SDSU to anywhere please

I saw USM's position steadily evaporate over 20 years of conference realignment.

I can't lie to you about your chances, but....you have my sympathies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I don’t know if TCU losing to Georgia by 100 points means they’re any worse than Tennessee who lost to South Carolina by 100 points.

Yeah well Alabama lost to a team that lost to SC by 100 so they can’t be on there either