Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was so disappointed when he agreed with Ziyal that Garak's hot in In Purgatory's Shadow and realised it was Changeling Bashir II talking and not him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

And if you were Cardassian, you'd definitely prefer Sisko. Picard doesn't even know how to count to five.

an alternate ending where the cardassian guy realizes there was just a bug in their universal translators and he was just trying to establish that he would tell the truth the whole time

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Dignity posted:

I was so disappointed when he agreed with Ziyal that Garak's hot in In Purgatory's Shadow and realised it was Changeling Bashir II talking and not him

This is honestly even better, because it means even the Founders can tell he’s got the horn

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

And if you were Cardassian, you'd definitely prefer Sisko. Picard doesn't even know how to count to five.

Sisko: AND ANOTHER THING

Cardassian: *breathing heavy* yeah?

Sisko: GET THE HELL OUT OF MY OFFICE

Cardassian: oh. actually, um, do you mind if I stay sitting for a few moments longer *picks up baseball* so uh, baseball huh. what's that all about?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

zoux posted:

Like Kira is way more "Maquis" toward Sisko in the first few episodes than Chakotay was through the whole run of Voyager. And he was right back "Go over my head again and I'll have your head" is so not a thing you'd expect the main commander in a ST series to say.

DS9 was basically a template for how to do mixed crews in a way that was interesting but still very Star Trek-y. Voyager's writers pretty clearly didn't have the confidence to handle crew conflict without making it antagonistic and mean (just look at the holodeck mutiny sim episode), so they just melted everyone into a bland Starfleet instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That DICK! posted:

an alternate ending where the cardassian guy realizes there was just a bug in their universal translators and he was just trying to establish that he would tell the truth the whole time

"Guldamn it, one of the lightbulbs burnt out again."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bajorans on DS9 were very different, there was always the potential for conflict lurking in the background because of the different priorities of Bajor and the Federation. Its the external factors that made the mixed crew interesting. If you plopped Kira in as the first officer of Voyager, she wouldn't be much more compelling than Chakotay - the only conflicts she would have would be almost entirely personality- or preference- based. No Kai Winn plotlines, no lingering scars of occupation plotlines, no grudges with a threatening empire because all that stuff had been left behind in the Alpha Quadrant.

ultimately Chakotay's Maquis were just 'War Crimes Starfleet' so their only role was to be wrong about things. Which works for a few episodes but they have to be right about something for there to be interesting conflicts and tensions.

loving Neelix had more conflict with the crew than the Maquis did, because Neelix had links outside Voyager.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They did one episode where they really looked into Maquis/SF friction, the one where Chakotay decks that guy. And it was pretty good! But I guess they counted everything as resolved after that.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

zoux posted:

the one where Chakotay decks that guy.

I don't have a ton to put behind this, but that bit drives me nuts. The Maquis were former Federation citizens or otherwise neutral colonists with some semblence of community and organization. Then Chakotay's like "Want to handle it like in the Maquis?" and decks the guy, I do'nt know Chakotay, I have trouble believing that's how the Maquis handled it. Like some sort of stereotypical street gang fight or orks fighting to see who da biggest and da baddest is?

If I were Tuvok, I would have simply beaten up every Maquis officer above me in hand to hand combat and then given the order to surrender.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Have the progressive houses join and the dub houses just form a failing bass drop

ftfy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MillennialVulcan posted:

I don't have a ton to put behind this, but that bit drives me nuts. The Maquis were former Federation citizens or otherwise neutral colonists with some semblence of community and organization. Then Chakotay's like "Want to handle it like in the Maquis?" and decks the guy, I do'nt know Chakotay, I have trouble believing that's how the Maquis handled it. Like some sort of stereotypical street gang fight or orks fighting to see who da biggest and da baddest is?

If I were Tuvok, I would have simply beaten up every Maquis officer above me in hand to hand combat and then given the order to surrender.

I got the sense that the Maquis were the sketchier elements of that population. Oh and about 50% starfleet washouts.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

lol I'm stealing this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Memory Alpha seems like it is on another tier from the rest of the fan wikis. I like to read the entries on episodes after I watch them, they have so much BTS stuff in them.

e: what's the consensus episode for when Julian gets swapped out by an impostor, I wanted to keep an eye out for that stuff this time around

On the other hand: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Breast

But I guess there's always got to be a few weirdos.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Kibayasu posted:

On the other hand: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Breast

But I guess there's always got to be a few weirdos.

look if you're a long running sci fi franchise, your wiki needs a page to explain titties, its the law.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arivia posted:

why do robots have GENDER

Gender is a mechanical construct.

:tipshat: Thanks folks, I'll show myself out!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My gender is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
We've never needed a gender before.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Where we’re going, we don’t need genders

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I watched All Good Things... and I realized that I had seen it before. In fact, because of the bookending parallels between it and the pilot, I remembered it as the pilot because of it's use of the Q courtroom stuff. I recognized that scene where Q takes Picard to the origins of life on primordial Earth and when I watched the actual pilot (years ago now at the start of this TNG marathon) I was confused as that scene wasn't in it.

As a finale, it's kind of flat? It's a lot of jumping around with not an ample amount of substance but the concept is quite strong. Riker's conflict with Worf and Troi made me realize that I've never had that moment where Riker felt like a confident capable character. He's always been in the shadow of Picard and his arc over the entire show didn't amount to much? He hit his climax in The Best of Both Worlds and even then he didn't come off as that competent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DoubleCakes posted:

As a finale, it's kind of flat?

I mean, there's a first time for everything, but I have never seen All Good Things... referred to as "flat."

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DoubleCakes posted:

I watched All Good Things... and I realized that I had seen it before. In fact, because of the bookending parallels between it and the pilot, I remembered it as the pilot because of it's use of the Q courtroom stuff. I recognized that scene where Q takes Picard to the origins of life on primordial Earth and when I watched the actual pilot (years ago now at the start of this TNG marathon) I was confused as that scene wasn't in it.

As a finale, it's kind of flat? It's a lot of jumping around with not an ample amount of substance but the concept is quite strong. Riker's conflict with Worf and Troi made me realize that I've never had that moment where Riker felt like a confident capable character. He's always been in the shadow of Picard and his arc over the entire show didn't amount to much? He hit his climax in The Best of Both Worlds and even then he didn't come off as that competent.

riker doesn't really have an arc, that's true; he's the first officer, his job can basically be boiled down to "enforcer" for captain picard. basically once a decision is reached, it's up to him to get the crew to fall in line

i guess there's an argument to be made that that is riker's arc, though. he's given promotions several times, just to decline them. he even comments in BoBW that he's resenting becoming too comfortable in that position

...which is fine imo. i can relate to that a lot, actually: when i was younger i was much more ambitious, slowed down a bit with experience, and got stuck in something of a rut as well, lol. it might not be the most dramatic arc, but it's certainly a realistic one

Timby posted:

I mean, there's a first time for everything, but I have never seen All Good Things... referred to as "flat."

lol right? "all good things..." is a fantastic episode, and i do have some complaints about it, but it's certainly not boring. the jumping around is intentional, Q is loving with picard so that he can properly put him "on trial". saving humanity is incidental, i guess

thematically it's on point, and as a narrative device it was effective enough that :lost: cribbed from it for some desmond episodes (i don't remember which ones specifically, iirc there are at least a few)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
AGT isn’t just one of the best Trek series finales, it’s one of the best series finales in general and that’s a really hard thing to land.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Earlier in season 7 boy howdy is "Liaisons" an episode, aliens kidnap Captain Picard and do a Misery on him to learn about that weird human "love" thing sure is a plot.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

All Good Things… is probably a top ten TNG episode for me and one of my favorite series finales. The premise is fun and has appropriately high stakes, we get a nice bookend with some resolution to Q’s relationship with Picard, we see possible futures for the main cast, and Picard joining the poker game is a very satisfying conclusion to his character.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

AGT isn’t just one of the best Trek series finales, it’s one of the best series finales in general and that’s a really hard thing to land.

yeah, agreed. i would have been happy with it as a bookend, the movies are in comparison a far worse continuation (and obviously picard is just heinous). the ending hits almost the perfect note: the show isn't really over, the crew has more adventures together. we just don't see them

and that would have been completely fine

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, agreed. i would have been happy with it as a bookend, the movies are in comparison a far worse continuation (and obviously picard is just heinous). the ending hits almost the perfect note: the show isn't really over, the crew has more adventures together. we just don't see them

and that would have been completely fine

no no no it’s not over until we get to see Picard ride a dune buggy and become a deadbeat dad for some reason

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Series finales are incredibly hard to stick, yes. We've been blessed in recent years by Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and a few other shows, but all too often series end with the creators crawling up their rear end and doing self-indulgent bullshit (looking at you, How I Met Your Mother). And even Trek doesn't have a great history with finales; Endgame and These Are The Voyages are dogshit, and What You Leave Behind falls apart in the second half.

All Good Things..., though, is just a masterpiece in giving every character something to do, and reinforcing the overall theme of The Next Generation: The sky's the limit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the reasons why "All Good Things" is so perfect is it manages to be a series finale for a series that doesn't have a definitive arc while still feeling like an ending for us, the audience when we know it's just a Tuesday for them.

It's just a sublime microcosm of the characters that's telling us "they aren't done, but we're done following them and that's ok."

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
trek finales usually are terrible: "turnabout intruder" is misogynistic as all hell, "what you leave behind" is up its own rear end about being a send-off, "endgame" is just a mess, and "these are the voyages" isn't even an episode of enterprise, for gently caress's sake

in comparison to those "all good things..." is a masterpiece. as noted it's not just the best trek finale, it's one of the best finales i've seen out of any series

e: oh, i forgot "the counterclock incident". it's fine, actually. the story is a bit weird, and it doesn't really make logical sense, but i like to think more adventures also just happened off-screen until TMP

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 7, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

One of the reasons why "All Good Things" is so perfect is it manages to be a series finale for a series that doesn't have a definitive arc while still feeling like an ending for us, the audience when we know it's just a Tuesday for them.

It's just a sublime microcosm of the characters that's telling us "they aren't done, but we're done following them and that's ok."

It wasn't just a Tuesday for Picard--Patrick Stewart is in literally every scene, and he was so exhausted that he started fighting with director Winrich Kolbe, which ultimately cost Kolbe the directing job on Generations--but, yes, otherwise, you said it far better than I could.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

All Good Things..., though, is just a masterpiece in giving every character something to do, and reinforcing the overall theme of The Next Generation: The sky's the limit.

To keep in genre, Babylon 5 had a fantastic ending. Two of them in fact. One picks up the characters 20 years later which was shot when they thought they were cancelled after S4, and another checking in on human history going forward ultimately a million years. Both were excellent, but the character driven one still made me tear up on a fifth viewing.

"Oh look, the sun's coming up."

Goddamnit.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

bull3964 posted:

It's pretty impressive that they managed to deliver a conclusion that included call-backs and nostalgia to the beginnings of the series in a way that worked within the continuity of the plot.

Having Tasha back as well as the Season 1 uniforms and look was a cool touch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

trek finales usually are terrible: "turnabout intruder" is misogynistic as all hell,

Turnabout Intruder is a horrible, misogynistic episode and emblematic of Gene Roddenberry's view of women, but it was produced in an era when "series finales" weren't really a thing (outside of The Fugitive in 1967). So while it was the final episode of The Original Series, it wasn't the series finale, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure series finales really became A Thing until MASH in, what, 1983?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Beeftweeter posted:

trek finales usually are terrible: "turnabout intruder" is misogynistic as all hell, "what you leave behind" is up its own rear end about being a send-off, "endgame" is just a mess, and "these are the voyages" isn't even an episode of enterprise, for gently caress's sake

in comparison to those "all good things..." is a masterpiece. as noted it's not just the best trek finale, it's one of the best finales i've seen out of any series

I wouldn’t even count Turnabout Intruder or TATV at this point.

Turnabout wasn’t intended to be a finale and they were still filming it when the cancellation news came down. Plus Uhura’s not even in it. Hard to have a real finale without your whole cast.

TATV isn’t even considered that season’s real finale by the actual cast and showrunner, it was total junk thrown together by Berman-Braga as a cap to the entire 87-05 era of Trek.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Penitent posted:

yeah it really was, the bridge redress, command division o'brien and the old worf wig were pretty neat too. excellent way of communicating what period of time it was without being explicit about it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

It's pretty impressive that they managed to deliver a conclusion that included call-backs and nostalgia to the beginnings of the series in a way that worked within the continuity of the plot.

I appreciate them also having the restraint to not slip in a scene that was basically "Picard's actions in the past mean Tasha somehow lived and is now just here in the new version of the present". A schmaltzier show would have done that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Timby posted:

Turnabout Intruder is a horrible, misogynistic episode and emblematic of Gene Roddenberry's view of women, but it was produced in an era when "series finales" weren't really a thing (outside of The Fugitive in 1967). So while it was the final episode of The Original Series, it wasn't the series finale, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure series finales really became A Thing until MASH in, what, 1983?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wouldn’t even count Turnabout Intruder or TATV at this point.

Turnabout wasn’t intended to be a finale and they were still filming it when the cancellation news came down. Plus Uhura’s not even in it. Hard to have a real finale without your whole cast.

TATV isn’t even considered that season’s real finale by the actual cast and showrunner, it was total junk thrown together by Berman-Braga as a cap to the entire 87-05 era of Trek.

yeah true. personally i always thought "all our yesterdays" was probably way more appropriate as a finale, even if it wasn't intended as such either; it has the same "not the whole cast" problem, but it'd be a way more fitting conclusion than "turnabout intruder", which doesn't even really have any redeeming characteristics of note

as for "these are the voyages", yeah, i don't even really consider it an episode of enterprise, it barely keeps up the pretense that it is one. similarly they could have stopped with "terra prime" and i think people would have been far less pissed off

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate them also having the restraint to not slip in a scene that was basically "Picard's actions in the past mean Tasha somehow lived and is now just here in the new version of the present". A schmaltzier show would have done that.

I'm surprised they managed to also keep themselves from somehow shoehorning Sela into the finale considering they already had Denise Crosby.

I'm really glad they had Andreas Katsulas reprise Commander Tomalak.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think All Good Things and Futurama's The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings are quite probably the two best series finales of all time, almost certainly for non-serialized shows, and for basically the same reasons.
* They're both excellent episodes of their series in their own right.
* They both serve as microcosms of all the major themes, ideas, and messages of their respective series.
* They provide a sense of finality and closure and serve as a fitting capstone to their series.
* But they also feel open. The adventures continue, but we will not, and don't need to, see them. "Oh, Picard, the trial never ends."
* They are both retroactively shat on by the series being brought back from the death by vastly inferior pretenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Angry Salami posted:

We've never needed a gender before.

Gender and gender! What is gender!