Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"I do not like boobs but I will die for your right to enjoy them" - Voltaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just decided to cross check mariabelle's magic stuff with a japanese guide for wa2 cause i got tired of english resources being too vague and... this guide lists 32 spells while the english ones only list 28?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh my God, she skinned Geno!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think part of the reason Octopath 2's a bit more interesting is that it's pulling from more varied cultures for it's world. The first Octopath mostly was different biomes of the same broad "General European fantasy" world. 2 has a Japan-based area, a wild west area, it's got more races with Ochette being a beast girl, etc.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh interesting, I liked Three Houses a lot, really enjoyed the school sim stuff, but combat never felt super challenging in it. Fun, but not hard.

yeah as a longtime fire emblem fan it has some of the best gameplay imo, very fun to have Marth as a stand doing all the moves with me

fwiw there is zero sim stuff (you have a home base to poke around between missions but it’s much more lightweight) and the story is much more light and straightforward in a way some people like and some really don’t

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i must've definitely beelined straight for the story the first time i played FF13 because i stuck around doing all the hunts i possibly could on chapter 11 before advancing and everything is easy-peasy so far. i've even got a surplus of CP that i'm hanging onto so i can max out my primary roles before starting up the secondary ones. i also didn't mind the whole leadup to this point of the game, with the party splits. i had a lot of fun getting to know the characters and eat up the worlds lore. good game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Joey McChrist posted:

i must've definitely beelined straight for the story the first time i played FF13 because i stuck around doing all the hunts i possibly could on chapter 11 before advancing and everything is easy-peasy so far. i've even got a surplus of CP that i'm hanging onto so i can max out my primary roles before starting up the secondary ones. i also didn't mind the whole leadup to this point of the game, with the party splits. i had a lot of fun getting to know the characters and eat up the worlds lore. good game.

It is.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Joey McChrist posted:

Yeah, if you actually invest the time to learn to about what's going on, it's a pretty solid game with an above-average cast. The biggest problem is the fact that you really have to go out of your way to figure out what's actually going on as the game has zero interest in catching you up to its bullshit.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

mass effect has even less to say than dragon age which is saying something

Mass Effect (at least 1) is the single most post 9/11 game I've ever seen. By Canadians somehow!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/HilltopWorks/status/1632819378298458113

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Her animations are so good.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

wth never thought i'd see the day

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"I do not like boobs but I will die for your right to enjoy them" - Voltaire

Thank you Voltaire

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Since it's the second year of the SRPG, what are some good ones that have come out recently, like in the last six-eight months or so? I haven't been paying a ton of attention to releases but I have an itch for some SRPG fun times.

How's Fire Emblem: Engage? I generally like FE games and enjoyed Three Houses.

edit: yes Snooze, Troubleshooter is already on my short list

I enjoyed Triangle Strategy a lot

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Triangle Strategy is over a year old

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

It was new to me!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tae posted:

Triangle Strategy is over a year old

Same

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought you were an infant. Apologies

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

relatable

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I still can't believe that the only one of these that they decided to officially localize was that weird little butt kid anime one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that is no way to talk about crayon shin-chan. unless you're talking about the joke american dub or any of the worse movies

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also that was the only one they tled because sony doesnt care about the games anymore, the developers probably want them in english but they don't have the rights, hence them starting a new ip that is very blatantly just boku no natsuyasumi

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
introducing,

watashi no natsuyasumi

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Washi no Natsuyasumi

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
ore no natsuyumi

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
wagahai no natsuyasumi

it'll be like stray except not My First Cyberpunk Story

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/NQrghowLZvY

Year of the SRPG: Mech Edition

Front Mission 2 is one of the main games never released in English so it's a pretty big deal for fans of the series.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

WaltherFeng posted:

Front Mission 2 is one of the main games never released in English so it's a pretty big deal for fans of the series.

Awesome, I've been dying for a release date on this. Too bad it's right before ff16.

It was fun finally playing the first FM game but the story wasn't really grabbing me the way I remember enjoying 3's plot. Having never touch the 2nd game I'm hoping the story is there.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Switch only, gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The dwarves giving humans poo poo and being super racist about it for the dwarves own genocide of the fairies in Chrono Cross only becomes better with time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Since it's the second year of the SRPG, what are some good ones that have come out recently, like in the last six-eight months or so? I haven't been paying a ton of attention to releases but I have an itch for some SRPG fun times.

How's Fire Emblem: Engage? I generally like FE games and enjoyed Three Houses.

edit: yes Snooze, Troubleshooter is already on my short list

engage is fantastic, incredible gameplay. it's tonally very different from 3hou but in a fun way, reminds me of rune factory 3 in that every character is an insane dumbass, and the story's more emotional beats still land

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

The dwarves giving humans poo poo and being super racist about it for the dwarves own genocide of the fairies in Chrono Cross only becomes better with time.
Don't forget yelling at humans for polluting when they're driving the only smoke-belching internal combustion vehicle you see in the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There are three human towns in that game and they are all seaside paradises.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Quiet, foul spawn of Lavos.

Chrono Cross is really confused, bless its heart. It wants to talk about so many things and it fumbles all of them. I've mentioned it before but Kato worked on Xenogears, at least a bit of it, and CC blatantly takes some ideas from XG. It's just that it never does them half as well as XG. I always felt Xenogears nailed the landing in a way CC never did.

An interesting observation I had during my replay of XG is how, despite the many similarities between it, FFVII, and CC, Xenogears is the only one which never tackles the "are humans the real monsters?" question.. Are humans garbage monsters who the planet should get rid of is something both FFVII and CC talk about in a big way but XG is very much a humanist and optimistic work.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WaltherFeng posted:

What kind of changes were made from Front Mission 1? I was interested in that, but reviews made it seem pretty mid.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i like chrono cross largely because it's one of the few RPGs i can think of that takes place in a gorgeous tropical setting. el nido's just such a drat pretty world to inhabit, and it sucks that most RPGs steer away from that kind of aesthetic

i remember playing dragon's dogma blind years back and being giddy when it started me off in what looked like arni, and then feeling immediate crushing disappointment when i stepped out the walls and saw a stock standard unity asset store-looking medieval fort sitting on the road

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
got to some of the big meme lines in wild arms 2 and got some thoughts based on how they're written in jp

first, it's loving me up just how much genuinely more understandable and sweeter this line is in the context of the scene and how it was written in the jp script. the whole "you are the most important woman (person) to me" is something that the english text needed to express a different way, because it's there to emphasize that colette is genuinely just the person tim loves spending his time with the most, that she's not his "woman", but on a more specific level, the person he wants to be with. that their companionship is a feeling they share equally, deeply, with each other, on an equal level as people. read it more as him saying "i love you. not just as a woman, but as a person. you are the single most important person to me."

kanon's speech is just as wild and dramatic in jp but it makes a lot of sense in context and the tl fudges the details a lot. people also exclude the follow up line, which is what gives what kanon is saying here a specific meaning. she's comparing her own past fixation on becoming a hero and her shared blood with anastasia with irving's own fixation on his own bloodline and what it means he must do. irving is doing something horribly irresponsible because he thinks his blood gives him special power to be something greater for the world, something kanon has already come to understand isn't true and was confirmed not to be true by anastasia herself. "vacillating in the blood" is an odd translation of what she's saying here, and "tomorrow exists for today" is a weird inversion that i think is also misreading the meaning for "tame ni (ために)" here? it can mean "for the sake of" but it can also mean "because of": she's saying something closer to "if the day we live in now exists because of our past, is being lost in one's own bloodline the karma inherited by a hero's descendants? or else, irving... is it a thorn you ceaseless push ever deeper through your own chest, piercing deep into your heart?"

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 7, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bear in mind my jp sucks and i might've even made some mistakes of my own but i'm astounded at how badly the tl handled kanon's speech in particular, it doesn't take a lot of thought to figure out what she's trying to express

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will give the tl that this is the funniest and most in-character english line you could give liz though