Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Last Celebration posted:

Chapter 25: its kinds of funny how hard they have to try to make a boss setup where you actively wish they got off the throne because it would be so much easier than being stationary. Meteor/Thoron sages, rewarp priests, a fell dragon on each side of the room, and an effective timer of infinite reinforcements flooding in is the only time I ever wanted the boss to come to me because it would mean less thinking, which was probably the point. Great chapter, kinda addresses the question I had where Dragon Mom wasn’t in the afterlife along with Good Veyle after Alear’s death, and Lumera sounding like a broken record against Clanne was a nice bit.

Speaking of Good Veyle, did anyone else feel bad for the evil one? I mean, she’s a literal irredeemable monster and all, but with the normal Veyle in the afterlife it kinda carries the implication that they’re literally different people sharing a body as opposed to Jeckle/Hyde and the evil one was basically just created to eventually die, which kinda sucks and I guess fits with Sombron treating all his kids like disposable fodder, even the one that wasn’t just beaten down enough to mindlessly obey orders.

Yeah it seemed weird and kind of unsettling to me they went with The whole thing where she starts begging for her life and calling for her daddy to save her like a small child would. Instead of just having her assimilated or merged or whatever with good Veyle ala a shadow in Persona. Honestly they should have kept the voice and outfit too. Veyle sounding all squeaky and dressing in chains and rags doesn't make sense to keep doing after you recruit her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I get ragging on the rags, but good Veyle has the exact same voice as the best Persona character and I do not understand how anyone can dislike it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean sure you kill evil Vayle but you kill a bunch other people too so.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
personally I think Good Veyle is allowed to kill her Evil Mind Parasite. Girls can have little a violence, as a treat.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

it runs extremely, extremely well on emulator if you have even a half-decent pc.
drat thats pretty cool

on a completely unrelated note i know that its not exactly allowed to ask for direct links to :filez: in the thread but like. if anyone in the thread who knows where to find the 1.2 update & DLC wanted to PM me those details that would be cool. I'd rather not try to figure out how to hack my original switch to grab the files from there, that seems like a lot of work. edit: we good

60fps mod seems to break cutscenes a tiiiiny bit (the opening, for one, is completely de-synced, but the regular cutscenes are mostly okay, just slightly faster) but reverse recruitment mod is making yuzu take ages to launch the game
google assures me this is a known issue and not the result of me loving things up though, so that's good??

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 6, 2023

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Help Chapter 21 has the enemy employing the Zapp Brannigan approach and there are more spawning than i can kill every turn.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Try to rush to the boss instead of dealing with the generics, slow the reinforcements down with Obstruct/Dragon Veins/Freeze if you need to. Engage often encourages you to be aggressive and 21 is a prime example.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

oh this is exceedingly silly

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Shame Boy posted:

Help Chapter 21 has the enemy employing the Zapp Brannigan approach and there are more spawning than i can kill every turn.

Rush the bosses

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
holy poo poo Sombron is the absolute lamest, stupidest FE antagonist wrt motivations and reasoning. This is a series that got kicked off because a man got salty he wasn’t his master’s favorite teacher and responded by resurrecting Dragon Satan multiple times, and he still takes the cake. I’m not even mad cause we really see so little of the man, it’s just kind of funny.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hellioning posted:

I mean sure you kill evil Vayle but you kill a bunch other people too so.

It was more the out of nowhere weird dissonance of it being a small manipulated child calling for help instead of a snarling zombie or grown adult who presumably knew what they signed up for. And the strange about-face where at first they just said it was Veyle having her emotions amplified to offset her naturally sweet self but then all of a sudden it's a literal different person? What happened to amplification? So what can Zephia straight up create new actual real people? For most of the story it seemed to imply it was something like good Veyle was just Veyle with amnesia and evil Veyle was obviously being manipulated and magi-drugged and they would end up coming to terms and becoming "true" Veyle or something.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

holy poo poo Sombron is the absolute lamest, stupidest FE antagonist wrt motivations and reasoning. This is a series that got kicked off because a man got salty he wasn’t his master’s favorite teacher and responded by resurrecting Dragon Satan multiple times, and he still takes the cake. I’m not even mad cause we really see so little of the man, it’s just kind of funny.

I cut the game a lot of slack in a lot of places but the final confrontation with Sombron is so bad and weird it's kind of hysterical.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

me: "oh hey, lumera's giving me libération? I bet that's actually gonna be the misericorde, obscurite is a little too OP for this point in the game"
game: "no"
game: "sword is a knife now. :downs:"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well that was a final boss, I guess. One of the better ones in the series, and a good map in and of itself, but Engage sets such a high standard for itself that it was a little disappointing that it wasn’t meaner to the player, something like not even bothering to give the player the chance to focus fire him down after defeating the first set of Dark Emblems would have been way more impactful.

Those credits went by way too fast for all the pretty pictures, I barley got to look at them or any voice actor names. Noticed Pandreo’s my favorite MHA character so I guess he’s force deployed my next run though. 9/10 game, would be an 11/10 if there were a Maniac setting and weapon ranks gave bonuses since the S ranks come so late and Brave weapons are usually lateral options from silvers without Luna/a crit build.

Edit: final boss was whelming mechanically but you better believe I was hooting and hollering when we did the whole cheesy final boss lead up and the Engage theme kicked in

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 6, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there's a decent batch of MHA voice actors in this game for some reason. probably to cement the shonen vibes but its weird that its specifically that show

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They’ve been using Texas voiceover talent since Echoes, it’s just that we’re at however many mainline FE titles so they leaned in more to that because there’s only so many actors for like the literal hundreds of characters in this franchise. I think Boucheron’s dub actor on his, like sixth FE character at this point including Heroes, and someone else pointed out that Kagetsu’s original JP actor is at like seven characters at this point too, but that guy might just really really like Fire Emblem.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Saori Hayami is on like her 3rd character after Chloe.

Last Celebration posted:

and someone else pointed out that Kagetsu’s original JP actor is at like seven characters at this point too, but that guy might just really really like Fire Emblem.

I mean, Koyasu is the literal type to grind on lyn's paralogue so Sain can promote to 20. And he personally voiced the FEH debut trailer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly i like sombron's motivation/backstory in terms of the game's meta FE fandom aspects. 'emblem of foundations is kaga' is not an unreasonable read, that kind of owns.

this game has a lot more going on writing-wise then people give it credit for, i think the fact that it missed the anniversary timing really hurts how people read it. its very much commenting on the series as a whole. im being sincere when i say that alear's hair is one of the best writing decisions in the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

honestly i like sombron's motivation/backstory in terms of the game's meta FE fandom aspects. 'emblem of foundations is kaga' is not an unreasonable read, that kind of owns.

this game has a lot more going on writing-wise then people give it credit for, i think the fact that it missed the anniversary timing really hurts how people read it. its very much commenting on the series as a whole. im being sincere when i say that alear's hair is one of the best writing decisions in the game.

I kinda hated Alear’s hair until someone pointed out the obvious reason it probably looks the way it does prerelease which the early narrative supported even before the actual ingame confirmation, and yeah it’s honestly rad to have a unit that’s literally half red/blue hair because they used to be a red unit. Also it looks real pretty, I might prefer it slightly if it were blue interspersed with red like Veyle’s black/gray for the connection but still.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

the toothpaste hair is the kind of thing that looks dumb for like 2 minutes and then you have to begrudgingly accept that its cute and then you like it unironically because much like everything else in this game it just works

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think Alear's hair looks ugly even with all the (good) writing decisions behind it. They could have done the same thing with a less vibrant color.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think it being kind of garish and clashing is also the point though. not only for the ally/enemy thing but also because the game's ending, in an extremely meta sense, is about how you can't have FE without every single part of the FE series. you need all 12 magic rings to come together. sombron talks about 'endless war over the rings' in his backstory. sombron comes from reddit and alear's deal is about unifying all those disparate things into one whole. she becomes Fire Emblem by accepting every single part of the series, Sombron could not Become Fire Emblem because he was focused on an imagined past for the series that never truly existed and definitely can't exist today.

her hair represents how disparate and clashing the series' entries and its fanbase can be.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it looks stupid and that that's cool.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
They should have given Male Alear a hairband to get those bangs out of his face!!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
They should let F Alear do the ponytail all the time instead of just in some jobs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hate the cross between her eyes. Give us hairstyle choices you cowards.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
engage feels like they looked at awakening doing its level best to do everything the series had all at once and then said 'okay but now we're gonna get WEIRD with it', and it rocks

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
just realized that the map where Micaiah would be most useful, a fog of war map with villages that you need to save, is the map that you get the Ike ring. this game is so full of soul.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

On Chapter 14 and I think the game's story is totally fine. I can't overstate how much the writing is handicapped by "The Divine Dragon" or "Divine One" though; it totally works when characters are fawning over you or discussing the meta plot, but as a Ctrl+F for the character's name or even just "Him/Her", every time it's in a line it just feels so clunky and lame. They'd be so much better off not letting you rename Alear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

On Chapter 14 and I think the game's story is totally fine. I can't overstate how much the writing is handicapped by "The Divine Dragon" or "Divine One" though; it totally works when characters are fawning over you or discussing the meta plot, but as a Ctrl+F for the character's name or even just "Him/Her", every time it's in a line it just feels so clunky and lame. They'd be so much better off not letting you rename Alear.
ive mentioned this before in this thread but it being so clunky is largely a tl issue, in jp its just 'shinryu' which flows much more naturally in sentences.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After a couple playthroughs my take on the story is that it has some really cool ideas and that the actual events of the plot are perfectly good and pretty interesting, it's just executed really weirdly and has serious pacing issues. But I also don't really mind that much because it's fun enough and the character writing in supports is so entertaining that I can't bring myself to be that critical of the story.

I'm also a certified Fates Enjoyer and Engage's story is several times better than Fates's so hey.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think they should have said Alear in voice acting if they kept the default name though :colbert:

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I'm glad there are two sets of lines for Veyle saying "brother" or "sister" in cutscenes at least though. 3H Jeralt using "my child" everywhere was extremely awkward.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tender Bender posted:

Most of the legit complaints are zephia and a lot of post 21 stuff. Otherwise the writing is like harmless but zephia needed her dialogue cut hard.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I laughed out loud when Zephia has her dramatic, extended death monologue and then you just get her back on screen again the very next chapter.

It's an example of some of the weird pacing choices in the game. It was already very goofy and shonen, but the stakes really deflate in the last bits where you encounter a problem that is solved in the same scene it is introduced in. Like Alear resurrecting twice in twenty minutes or when the Emblems disappeared in the rift only to get brought back in thirty seconds.

These are like spoilers for chapter 21 and on I think.

Anyway I liked the game a lot but the plot was not a whole lot to write home about.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The Hounds needed a couple of minions who could serve as boss fights during the middle act. The Hounds should have been saved for big set pieces — 11, 17, 21, and maybe 22. Every other chapter where they show up wouldn’t lose anything if the bosses had been some one-of chump.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

bravesword posted:

The Hounds needed a couple of minions who could serve as boss fights during the middle act. The Hounds should have been saved for big set pieces — 11, 17, 21, and maybe 22. Every other chapter where they show up wouldn’t lose anything if the bosses had been some one-of chump.

The hounds show up and immediately start doing introductions and posing ginyu force style. This scene happens immediately in front of a bug evil dragon that has been reborn and literally just ate an ally for giggles and profit. Them being Saturday morning cartoon villians blasting off again is incredibly their brand and there was no recovering them from that introduction.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

In the credits, is it implied that Mauvier has a kid and dresses her up to look like Marnie?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

AlphaKeny1 posted:

In the credits, is it implied that Mauvier has a kid and dresses her up to look like Marnie?
I think its implied that she reincarnated and got reborn into a family with a mom that doesnt suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lol, the game just generated me a skirmish at Destinia Cathedral. I can just image Alear and gang going "oh oops, don't mind me, just passing through" at Sombron.

Also it was a balls hard Dark map.