Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Other prophetic quid posts:

All those are still valid. Atleast Khablam was able to dig up the one where I said newey was a spent force

People were acting like the Aston was a consistent race winner (It's not). Alonso has such a poor grasp on developing a car that Mclaren dropped the Honda engine because of him (the car was the problem, not the engine) so it's only downhill for Aston for the rest of this year, my comments on what Ferrari need to do to win have aged like fine wine

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

All those are still valid. Atleast Khablam was able to dig up the one where I said newey was a spent force

People were acting like the Aston was a consistent race winner (It's not). Alonso has such a poor grasp on developing a car that Mclaren dropped the Honda engine because of him (the car was the problem, not the engine) so it's only downhill for Aston for the rest of this year, my comments on what Ferrari need to do to win have aged like fine wine

I don't put Khablam level effort into posting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McLaren will finish 5th again

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I will say that Ron Dennis wouldn't let Honda move away from the "size zero" concept even after they begged him to do so, Then they had to get help from the aircraft division so the turbo wouldn't fail, then they had to clean sheet the engine 3 times before it became a title winner. So to say wanting to move away from Honda was a mistake is a pretty hot take.

McLaren on the other hand after dropping Honda shoehorned in the 2nd worst engine on the grid into their car and suddenly was fighting for 3rd and 4th.

Much of the Honda/McLaren debacle should be put on Ron Dennis and Eric Boullier.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MustardFacial posted:

They're sandbagging to get the most CFD and tunnel time so when their new windtunnel comes online they can get the most out of it and make a truly dominant car.

Thank you for this, it has assuaged my concerns.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If McLaren replaced Lando Norris with Mazepin they would have the same amount of points.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Gotta love a Kelly edit

:xd:

With the amount of sponsors McLaren has, they dont need to spend any money on developing the car to win money for placing high on the grid!

Smart really!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Sacrificing long-term goals for short-term profit is peak American CEO. Zak is doing a bang up job.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

The classic pump and dump scheme.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

I don't put Khablam level effort into posting.
Imagine where you could be if you did.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1632796433387593728

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I will say that Ron Dennis wouldn't let Honda move away from the "size zero" concept even after they begged him to do so, Then they had to get help from the aircraft division so the turbo wouldn't fail, then they had to clean sheet the engine 3 times before it became a title winner. So to say wanting to move away from Honda was a mistake is a pretty hot take.

McLaren on the other hand after dropping Honda shoehorned in the 2nd worst engine on the grid into their car and suddenly was fighting for 3rd and 4th.

Much of the Honda/McLaren debacle should be put on Ron Dennis and Eric Boullier.

you know when you put it that way you're definitely right. It absolutely was Honda's fault that their team of rotating engineers with little to no F1 experience who were contractually obligated to follow what Mclaren wanted, had followed designed and built what the team McLaren determined and demanded they needed for their car. How could I be so stupid to think it was the team's fault.

welcome back wicka

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

better than the textbook double DNF I guess

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There was some other show on Amazon (not DTS) that had McLaren firing up their engine for the first time and it would not start, and this was when Zac took over.

Some things never change eh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rinkles posted:

What happened to McLaren? Are they just a poo poo team now?

It happened to Williams, why not McClaring? Who's next?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
the great part of Grand Prix Driver is that it barely shows drivers in a grand prix. After pre-season, it basically spends 20 minutes on the rest of the season and ends after 4 episodes when it probably should have gone 8-10 like all the “All or Nothing” seasons. must have been sunk cost that they released it at all

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i really wanted to go to a race this year but wow some of the ticket prices are insane. austin might be the only US race that is semi-affordable out of the 3

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Why would you pay to watch these races in person lmao, you don't even get to lose your hearing anymore

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The McLaren is so slow because they want you to have as much time as possible to read their digital advertisements on the car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MustardFacial posted:

The 2018 car was absolutely not fighting for 3rd and 4th, neither was the 2019 car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

you know when you put it that way you're definitely right. It absolutely was Honda's fault that their team of rotating engineers with little to no F1 experience who were contractually obligated to follow what Mclaren wanted, had followed designed and built what the team McLaren determined and demanded they needed for their car. How could I be so stupid to think it was the team's fault.

welcome back wicka

People also have selective memory of 2018 - the MCL33 had a few red herring results at the season’s beginning (they were clobbered by Toro Rosso in Bahrain.) and by mid season the car could not consistently make it out of Q3 - Vandoorne actually did worse in 2018.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sunk Dunk posted:

i really wanted to go to a race this year but wow some of the ticket prices are insane. austin might be the only US race that is semi-affordable out of the 3

Don't overlook Montreal although dunno the price. Probably cheaper than Vegas.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sunk Dunk posted:

Montreal is pretty affordable, so do look into that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

Montreal is pretty affordable, so do look into that.

it''s really not at all and my big american pickup doesnt fit in the parking lot spaces

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Pragmatica posted:

alright - who wants:

quote this so it makes it easy for me (or send me a PM)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nice to know Are Dan will have Mclaren's only win for at least 2 decades.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He's the Maldonado to McLaren's Williams

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

McLaren are really just following in Williams' footsteps (per usual)

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Sunk Dunk posted:

If you actually like F1 and aren't just there to hobnob with rich people then COTA is the best race anyways. Always seems like the top of the grid comes together at the end. Probably not this year, but maybe there will be some good fights for P2 to P5.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Pragmatica posted:

alright - who wants:

quote this so it makes it easy for me (or send me a PM)
Am I late here? I need this. I was too hyped for Alonso that I didn't think to check the thread all race.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Fingers crossed for a huge fall out between Max and Checo and Norris takes Checo's seat

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

If McLaren replaced Lando Norris with Mazepin they would have the same amount of points.

absolutely slanderous statement

not poggers

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

There is hope for the Papaya Bois! Or something....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-a-15mm-difference-triggered-mclarens-f1-2023-woes/10440908/

Looks like Baku will be welcoming McLaren!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phwoar a Landodium incoming

Dictator. posted:

Fingers crossed for a huge fall out between Max and Checo and Norris takes Checo's seat

Why would you want to do that to him?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 7, 2023

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Custard Undies posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-a-15mm-difference-triggered-mclarens-f1-2023-woes/10440908/

So McLaren have learned nothing from their past and are chasing potential downforce instead of practical downforce again

same as it ever was

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe
Lance Stroll's voice is made for subtitles. Not looking forward to him being in an actually good car and therefore interviewed more often

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hes the only racer on the grid who sounds better over radio than in person, that's for sure.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Custard Undies posted:

Ah yes, the classic McLaren "we've identified one issue and, for some reason, despite history telling us otherwise, we will decide fixing this one issue will make us competitive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I have conducted my own independent review, and have also found one very large issue responsible for McLaren's woes