Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Aye Doc posted:

everyone's going to rediscover Columbo because of Poker Face, this was Rian Johnson's sick plan the whole time wasn't it. my Columbo re-watch is going super, up through end of season 4 now and this season felt like it was absolutely loaded with good episodes and *amazing* guest stars. it's making me wonder..... is Murder she Wrote worth a watch at all if I'm vibing with Columbo? it's a looooot of content to get through, maybe I'd just watch the first 6 seasons or something, but does it scratch the same itch as Poker Face/Columbo?

If you're loving Columbo, try Rockford Files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Aye Doc posted:

everyone's going to rediscover Columbo because of Poker Face, this was Rian Johnson's sick plan the whole time wasn't it. my Columbo re-watch is going super, up through end of season 4 now and this season felt like it was absolutely loaded with good episodes and *amazing* guest stars. it's making me wonder..... is Murder she Wrote worth a watch at all if I'm vibing with Columbo? it's a looooot of content to get through, maybe I'd just watch the first 6 seasons or something, but does it scratch the same itch as Poker Face/Columbo?

Definitely worth a look, but I watch these episodic older mystery shows by watching misc eps, not continuous. Picked from people's fav lists, imdb and forums etc, ones my Mom liked, a whim, stuff like that. Just because my interest level is in say 15 eps for example of one of these instead of 150. And I find it's more fun to spread those 15 eps around than just watching the first season for example. But it is rad if you're into it enough to watch the whole thing for these. I can at least say my Mom can vouch for all of Murder She Wrote (at least up until the last couple seasons).

I'd also recommend a few Magnum P.I. episodes, and I really enjoy the Magnum/Murder She Wrote crossover two-parter. They made a version of the Magnum P.I. episode that wraps it up quickly instead of going into the two-parter, so need to make sure you find the right versions. I'd say check out the Murder She Wrote Pilot ep at least, I gave that a 10/10 on imdb, and in general I find these 80s pilots are just really good. Miami Vice too etc, plus that's a show I like enough to watch most of, at least through season 3. And Moonlighting as mentioned, hunt that down, it's solid gold. I actually couldn't skip any of that one. Well, through season 3 again, these shows usually have some clunky later seasons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I've been watching Poker Face and loving it, so decided to watch Columbo since the former is very, very, very open about cribbing heavily from the latter. The first pilot with the psychiatrist who is so utterly convinced of his superior mind (he doesn't discount Columbo in the slightest! He just thinks he's smarter/better prepared!) and can't help taunting Columbo with hypotheticals that end up hanging him was so good. Especially since the episode wraps up with him just standing and smoking in a kind of bewildered acceptance that he got completely played :allears:

I actually like the second pilot a little more. The scene where the stepdaughter tries to frame the murderer because she knows her stepmom killed her dad but can't prove it, and Columbo comes in to shut her down is great. The capper being the killer being smug and saying something like "Thank you for putting an end to this nonsense, Lieutenant" and Falk just tossing out "Of course, after all, I can't arrest you on the wrong evidence" just slays me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The plane ride is probably one of my favorite scenes in the series too.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I've been slowly going through the first season of Murder She Wrote and so far only two episodes have been set in Cabot Cove, and only one of the victims was a resident of Cabot Cove. The rest of the episodes have JBF traveling across the country visiting nieces, nephews or old friends, going on book tours or giving lectures. So I'd say they knew people would be concerned if there were 22 murders a year in a small Maine town.

Still like all cozy mystery solvers, she is a harbinger of death. Watch out if she shows up in your town.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

On the topic of Murder She Wrote, you guys might appreciate this post from the Aliexpess Thread:

I’m still making my way through the posts here but very pleased to see a Columbo thread. I watched a ton of the show as a kid and have attempted a few marathons of my boxset. Always burnout halfway in.

During one marathon attempt I was also marathoning the works of Flannery O’Connor, which is interesting companion material to this show. They’re both frequently about dismantling a sinner’s ego.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

I actually like the second pilot a little more. The scene where the stepdaughter tries to frame the murderer because she knows her stepmom killed her dad but can't prove it, and Columbo comes in to shut her down is great. The capper being the killer being smug and saying something like "Thank you for putting an end to this nonsense, Lieutenant" and Falk just tossing out "Of course, after all, I can't arrest you on the wrong evidence" just slays me.

Just finished up watching this now, the killer and Columbo having a drink as she thinks she's about to walk away in triumph and he knows he's got her dead to rights :discourse:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Just finished up watching this now, the killer and Columbo having a drink as she thinks she's about to walk away in triumph and he knows he's got her dead to rights :discourse:

It is never not statisfying waiting for the exact moment when they realize he has them.
Especially how much of a pest he is to as the epsidoe elapse and by the end they want him to go away so badly.

I just finished season 7 and I still love it every time. 3 more season left and all the specials.
I can't wait to go back and rewatch them all.

And thanks to whoever responded to my question earlier about season 6 being so short. Never knew any of that. And since it sparked some talk about movies vs tv, how many actors/actresses at the time when were on the show were already known as big stars?
I'm just too young to that knowledge and time refrence to know. I know who they are because of other works they do but not where that fits in with their appearance.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 26, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Almost as good is the end scene where he's got like 2M in the bag but can't pay for the egg salad at the airport bar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Almost as good is the end scene where he's got like 2M in the bag but can't pay for the egg salad at the airport bar.

And he still doesn't have that pen he lost and has to borrow the waitress' one!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I've been watching Poker Face and loving it, so decided to watch Columbo since the former is very, very, very open about cribbing heavily from the latter. The first pilot with the psychiatrist who is so utterly convinced of his superior mind (he doesn't discount Columbo in the slightest! He just thinks he's smarter/better prepared!) and can't help taunting Columbo with hypotheticals that end up hanging him was so good. Especially since the episode wraps up with him just standing and smoking in a kind of bewildered acceptance that he got completely played :allears:

Welcome to every other episode of Colombo. Show's a one trick pony, but it's a really good trick.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Levinson and Link, who created Columbo, also created Murder, She Wrote. Kind of wonder if they were inspired by Ruth Gordon in the Columbo ep "Try and Catch Me"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

It is never not statisfying waiting for the exact moment when they realize he has them.
Especially how much of a pest he is to as the epsidoe elapse and by the end they want him to go away so badly.

I just finished season 7 and I still love it every time. 3 more season left and all the specials.
I can't wait to go back and rewatch them all.

And thanks to whoever responded to my question earlier about season 6 being so short. Never knew any of that. And since it sparked some talk about movies vs tv, how many actors/actresses at the time when were on the show were already known as big stars?
I'm just too young to that knowledge and time refrence to know. I know who they are because of other works they do but not where that fits in with their appearance.

I actually really like Columbo Goes To The Guillotine. It's really blatant that they just put James Randi in a Columbo episode, but it's a lot of fun if you enjoy the theatre of magic as well as the show.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

I actually really like Columbo Goes To The Guillotine. It's really blatant that they just put James Randi in a Columbo episode, but it's a lot of fun if you enjoy the theatre of magic as well as the show.

I just finished that episode a little while ago. I love episodes when psychics etc get found out to be frauds. And seeing all the psuedo science stuff they were trying to research is a real 'god people were stupid' moment (Which I'm sure in decades people will look at our stuff the same way)

On to the next episode and Columbo's introduction is him playing with model train set :allears:
And look it's The Plague from Hackers

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Spiritualist revivals come and go in the US. In the 70s it was Uri Gellar/MINDCONTROL PSYWAVE GOVERNMENT stuff like in Firestarter.

Arguably all the poo poo about crystals now...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gotta say, the first episode of the proper seasons of Columbo had a surprisingly weak ending - Columbo's evidence really didn't seem strong enough on the face of it for the killer's resolve to crumble the way it did in the first two pilots, though I did enjoy the irony of the reveal that the stolen idea actually WAS the killer's original idea, and he had no idea his actually talented partner would like it enough to write it down.

That said, wow little Stevie Spielberg directing and Lil' Babby Bochco doing the writing! :3:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Watched the first episode of Poker Face, it's Columbo as gently caress. They even snuck in This Old Man.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah I just watched that one and it was different by just enough, but it was fine I think. Like, every shot was so dark. that was throwing everything off for me. And we kind of did this theme (magic tricks) before, even the same trick guillotine ("Now You See Him...", 05x05).

I kinda wonder if Columbo made sure both sides were SAFE. Seems like a risk to assume the guy was going to kill you. It had the same style of ending as the one with the psychologist and two dogs trained to kill episode ("How to Dial a Murder", 07x04) where Columbo would put himself in what looks like harms way to get a confession or another piece of evidence. However, in the dog episode we saw the hard work over many days Columbo and the dog trainer put into deprogramming and retraining the Kill command in those dogs so he was always safe.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

Watched the first episode of Poker Face, it's Columbo as gently caress. They even snuck in This Old Man.

:same: I can kind of see how they're trying to set her up as being detective-y, building timelines and noticing relevant details in photos and videos. Interested to see how they work her superpower into things without just having her point blank say 'did you kill them yes or no' at the end of every episode, plus half the fun of an episode of Colombo is watching the killer lie their rear end off to him and watching him work through it all to get to the truth. Ah well, I like other stuff Rian Johnson has done so I'll give it a fair shake.

Lpzie posted:

I kinda wonder if Columbo made sure both sides were SAFE. Seems like a risk to assume the guy was going to kill you.

That one bothered me as well, didn't seem like the kind of thing to literally bet your life on. I just chalked it up to the reboot seasons being weaker overall.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I gotta say, the first episode of the proper seasons of Columbo had a surprisingly weak ending - Columbo's evidence really didn't seem strong enough on the face of it for the killer's resolve to crumble the way it did in the first two pilots, though I did enjoy the irony of the reveal that the stolen idea actually WAS the killer's original idea, and he had no idea his actually talented partner would like it enough to write it down.

That said, wow little Stevie Spielberg directing and Lil' Babby Bochco doing the writing! :3:

I always read that as Columbo going after his pride: he’d rather admit to murder than not get the credit for the idea. I expect prosecutors will either have a confession or go after him for the second murder in court, but the show’s never interested in that part of the story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While I really dig that idea, Columbo himself had no idea that the idea was actually the killer's rather than the victims. While he did taunt him about the second kill being so sloppy while the first was so well-planned, he didn't do so knowing that the first idea WAS the killer's and figuring he could goad him into admitting that. That reveal seemed to catch him by surprise as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's great to see so many people discovering/re-discovering this amazing show. When I was a kid it was always airing on independent tv stations alllll weekend.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

While I really dig that idea, Columbo himself had no idea that the idea was actually the killer's rather than the victims. While he did taunt him about the second kill being so sloppy while the first was so well-planned, he didn't do so knowing that the first idea WAS the killer's and figuring he could goad him into admitting that. That reveal seemed to catch him by surprise as well.

Clearly. But (and I guess this needs spoiling?): he's fishing for different bait. He's trying to provoke Franklin by saying that the first murder was clearly his partner's idea, and that he found the slip proving that it was, while comparing it to the sloppiness of the second murder. The goad is still Franklin's pride, but he's stuck either way: he tries to defend the second murder and gives himself away there, or he yields on the first murder and admits he couldn't even do that without his partner's help. The "twist" of this reveal is in Franklin's hands, registering the irony but also being forced by his pride to admit that the whole thing actually was his idea. That's comparable to the effect Columbo was going for, but he was hoping for it as it pertained to the second murder, not the first.

Columbo knows how to goad Franklin, is the point, even if the goad ends up working differently than he expected. The way he's turning weak evidence into a strength is the same, but things turn in a surprising but fitting direction, especially given all the "tips" Franklin gave Columbo during the case about good detective work.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I was re-watching a few favorite episodes a few years ago and want to catch them again, but I dont remember which stream has them nowadays since it changes around.

I think the last time I watched them it was free on Peacock but that seems to have moved to a 100% paid only model - are there any free streaming apps that still carry it?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Tubi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narsham posted:

Clearly. But (and I guess this needs spoiling?): he's fishing for different bait. He's trying to provoke Franklin by saying that the first murder was clearly his partner's idea, and that he found the slip proving that it was, while comparing it to the sloppiness of the second murder. The goad is still Franklin's pride, but he's stuck either way: he tries to defend the second murder and gives himself away there, or he yields on the first murder and admits he couldn't even do that without his partner's help. The "twist" of this reveal is in Franklin's hands, registering the irony but also being forced by his pride to admit that the whole thing actually was his idea. That's comparable to the effect Columbo was going for, but he was hoping for it as it pertained to the second murder, not the first.

Columbo knows how to goad Franklin, is the point, even if the goad ends up working differently than he expected. The way he's turning weak evidence into a strength is the same, but things turn in a surprising but fitting direction, especially given all the "tips" Franklin gave Columbo during the case about good detective work.

That all makes a lot of sense, you're right. I still found it a little abrupt, but it is perfectly in keeping with the general (even 3 stories in) tradition that the killer's arrogance is inevitably their undoing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 28, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerusalem posted:

the general (even 3 stories in) tradition that the killers' arrogance is inevitably their undoing.
There's no perfect crime because the criminal is an imperfect god

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bob Quixote posted:

I was re-watching a few favorite episodes a few years ago and want to catch them again, but I dont remember which stream has them nowadays since it changes around.

I think the last time I watched them it was free on Peacock but that seems to have moved to a 100% paid only model - are there any free streaming apps that still carry it?

https://archive.org/details/columbo

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Nothing to add except i only knew falk from loving murder by death as a kid. Then binged columbo last year. I love that he's just this detective guardian angel that plays off the conscience of the suspect. Brilliant show.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Astrochicken posted:

Nothing to add except i only knew falk from loving murder by death as a kid. Then binged columbo last year. I love that he's just this detective guardian angel that plays off the conscience of the suspect. Brilliant show.

Speaking of guardian angel, I highly recommend watching Wim Wender's "Wings of Desire", in which Peter Falk plays himself playing Columbo in Berlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFGEx9SkDg

You think being an angel with no physical body is enough to fool Columbo('s actor)? Think again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7s-H4EqP4I

"Isn't that Columbo?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Astrochicken posted:

I love that he's just this detective guardian angel that plays off the conscience of the suspect. Brilliant show.
At every point the suspect could just be like "no, no I don't know why they were meeting with a strange person in a remote area of town. No clue. " instead of inflicting themselves via the tortured frame job they are attempting. Lol.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This isn't for everyone, but for those it's for; this is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8zgBQ4Fo8

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This isn't for everyone, but for those it's for; this is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8zgBQ4Fo8

woah, columbo MADs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Robert Culp! :sickos:

The ending to that episode absolutely loving ruled. Columbo telling the story about the potatoes in the tailpipe :kiss:

Also absolutely loved how they showed the murder clean-up happening in the reflection of Culp's lenses as he stood stationary, like we were seeing his mind racing through what he would have to do before he did it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Stink Billyums posted:

some columbo episodes got theatrical releases in italy and I want the posters

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drat those are cool.

Just watched s5e5 Now You See Him, hot diggity that is some strong Columbo. That's a fun one, Jack Cassidy is too dang delicious in his evilness. Falk is a delight as ever too, and just so much style and fun mood to it.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

drat those are cool.

Just watched s5e5 Now You See Him, hot diggity that is some strong Columbo. That's a fun one, Jack Cassidy is too dang delicious in his evilness. Falk is a delight as ever too, and just so much style and fun mood to it.

Yeah s5e5 is great. Love the scene where Columbo tricks him into picking the handcuff lock. That knowing look at the end is so good.

https://i.imgur.com/QWPxPaY.mp4

There's a scene similar to this one in s4e4, Troubled Waters (the cruise ship), at the end when Columbo has finally positioned the murderer into a confession but instead of confessing the murderer tries again to wiggle free. There's a look of joy on Columbo's face as if to say "Oh!? Sure, let's keep this back and forth going. What cards do you have left to play?"

As an aside, anyone ever notice sometimes Columbos suit seems to be a bit pinkish? Or am I losing it? 😂

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started a series rewatch and picked up a couple of Columbo watch-along podcasts to listen to. Several of them mention the origins of the character, which began in an episode of The Chevy Mystery Show called 'Enough Rope' from 1960 which was remade into Prescription: Murder 8 years later. I wasn't having any luck tracking down a copy from any source until I stumbled across a Mega link at the bottom of this r/columbo thread.
code:
mega[dot]nz/file/pAgSHTQT#PHLpGkdl_orERrjl9iF7QVabXoM9K-V1ePZmn16O68I
This thing is a bitch to find and may not last long, get it while it's hot In Living Color!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

drat those are cool.

just got up to here in my watch and hell yes this episode was great. I think my favorite aspect of it all was John J Wilson returning to work with Columbo again and being such an earnest dork. I think season 5 has been my favorite so far although I still have Last Salute to the Commodore to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

just got up to here in my watch and hell yes this episode was great. I think my favorite aspect of it all was John J Wilson returning to work with Columbo again and being such an earnest dork. I think season 5 has been my favorite so far although I still have Last Salute to the Commodore to watch

Commodore is a pretty divisive episode, it messes with the regular formula some and a lot of people don't like it. Interested to hear how you think it stacks up to the rest of the season.