Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Which reserve force exactly are they withholding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's obviously no real way to prove it, but in theory you would keep a reserve number of most things in the 0.01% chance that *randomly points at map* Kenya decides to invade. It's probably not a lot, or even a moderate amount.

Someone in either this or another thread put it really well where it's difficult for a country like Russia to every really completely run out of things like artillery shells and missiles, but you can definitely reach a point where you tipping back and forth between your stockpile being exhausted and then being somewhat restocked as you manufacture more.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 7, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm talking about their blunder not fully mobilizing at the beginning of the war.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

If we are still talking about the various cruise and ballistic missiles Russia has then no doubt they keep a certain percentage in reserve to arm with nuclear warheads if WW3 happened.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

If we are still talking about the various cruise and ballistic missiles Russia has then no doubt they keep a certain percentage in reserve to arm with nuclear warheads if WW3 happened.

There's been evidence of some of those very missiles being used to launch conventional warheads a few months ago. They could tell the missiles were originally for nukes cause they were some of the originally nuclear-armed missiles Ukraine returned to Russia back in the 90's.

So they've literally reduced their strategic launch stockpile somewhat to wage this war. Probably not significantly, but that does give credence to the idea that Russia has to first produce any precision munitions it wants to use at this point.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

mrfart posted:

In other news: Is Rheinmetall really gonna build a factory in Ukraine to build the KF51? Or is this a a way to tell the German government to hurry up and/or be more lenient with all the permits and red tape?

Anything involving Rheinmetall is really complicated now.

The short version of a complex story is that Germany is going to start replacing the Leo 2 with something in the next decade or so, and Rheinmetall wanted to have a large part in that contract (MGCS). Only, Germany seems to want to do a joint tank development project with France, and when the workshares of that were revealed, a lot of the stuff Rheinmetall wanted to be a part of ended up on the French side of the contract, leaving them only scraps. If this comes to pass, it will be disastrous for Rheinmetall, because if both France and Germany replace their tanks with a joint design, that design will have the kind of production numbers that will make it cheaper and better for everyone else who's shopping for an european-made tank too. In the meantime, Rheinmetall has already spent a lot of their own money developing systems for a Leo 2 replacement, and would just be out of that money and out of the tank market for however many decades MGCS will serve.

So Rheinmetall is in full-on panic mode looking for customers for their stuff. KF51 was a tech demonstrator of some of the poo poo they have developed, so they have something to point at when talking to politicians about how there are perfectly fine tanks at home, and to shop around for foreign sales interest. In any normal situation, I'd say that Rheinmetall setting up production lines in Ukraine is laughable, but given that both Rheinmetall really wants to make some kind of deal, and Ukraine might really want to buy something, who knows.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My guess is that they've already hit all the precision/long range targets that they need.

You do understand that this is laughable, right?

Because the targets that they were spending hundreds of missiles on are still standing. They spent several months targeting energy infrastructure, and the power is still on. They found out that their missile forces were not capable of achieving the aims they set out for them.

This was both because Ukraine was sent all that foreign AA, and (mostly) because it turns out that Russian cruise missiles are not very accurate. Most of the missiles that were not shot down, hit apartment buildings or empty parking lots. I don't think they intended to spend their expensive missiles that way.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

So Rheinmetall is in full-on panic mode looking for customers for their stuff. KF51 was a tech demonstrator of some of the poo poo they have developed, so they have something to point at when talking to politicians about how there are perfectly fine tanks at home, and to shop around for foreign sales interest. In any normal situation, I'd say that Rheinmetall setting up production lines in Ukraine is laughable, but given that both Rheinmetall really wants to make some kind of deal, and Ukraine might really want to buy something, who knows.

Except, well, Malyshev Tank Factory + KMDB and Lviv Tank at least used to exist.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Orthanc6 posted:

There's been evidence of some of those very missiles being used to launch conventional warheads a few months ago. They could tell the missiles were originally for nukes cause they were some of the originally nuclear-armed missiles Ukraine returned to Russia back in the 90's.

So they've literally reduced their strategic launch stockpile somewhat to wage this war. Probably not significantly, but that does give credence to the idea that Russia has to first produce any precision munitions it wants to use at this point.

That's not really a fair assumption make, they could have just as easily moved the warheads to a newer missile type, kept their stockpile the same, and refitted the old missile body with a convential war head.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Russia has been very judiciously firing waves of cruise missiles into cities whenever Putin is embarrassed when a heavy cruiser or bridge gets hit. Clearly all the relevant targets have already been reduced to rubble.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If Russia's cruise missiles campaign had achieved its objectives, it would 1) have achieved its objectives and 2) not led to its architect being removed from his post.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My guess is that they've already hit all the precision/long range targets that they need.

They spent a lot of time and munitions attacking power infrastructure. At times, the power was out. But power infrastructure can be repaired, has professionals on standby to do so in general outside of wartime readiness, and, as opposed to tanks and special weapons, the private sector and civil sectors of neighboring countries have a lot of power equipment to offer as humanitarian aid.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I strongly doubt the campaign achieved much other than steeling Ukrainian resistance and reinforcing foreign opposition to the invasion.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The missile and drone strikes against Ukraine's infrastructure was the single biggest thing that got substantially heavier aid flowing to Ukraine

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Missiles are really expensive, shells are cheap. There are plenty of situations where missiles are going to be useful, such as targeting key infrastructure that you can't normally reach, but you don't want to spend half a million dollars per missile when you could spend a few hundred bucks for a few shells.

Edit: although the Russians have already made the mistake of withholding reserve forces so who knows if this will work out for them.

i would very much like to understand the sources of information you relied on, and the inferences you drew from them, to conclude that russia has hit all of the precision and long range targets it needs. the more you could elaborate on this, the better.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Way late.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 7, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Morrow posted:

If Russia's cruise missiles campaign had achieved its objectives, it would 1) have achieved its objectives and 2) not led to its architect being removed from his post.

to be fair he wasn't removed for incompetence (warcriming aside he was russia's most competent field commander), he was removed because he picked the wrong side in russia's ever-ongoing political dance for Putin's love (Prigozhin vs Shoigu)

I mean, they literally replaced him with Gerasimov, competence clearly wasn't a factor in choosing his replacement

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Round-Up of News of the Day

Office of the President of Ukraine

quote:

https://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/okupant-ubivaye-za-sam-fakt-sho-mi-ukrayinci-za-odne-slovo-p-81473

The occupier is killing for the very fact that we are Ukrainians, for the mere word about Ukraine - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
6 March 2023 - 22:26

Today at the Staff meeting, I directly asked both Khortytsia commander, General Syrskyi, and Commander-in-Chief Zaluzhny about their view of the further defense operation in the Bakhmut sector.

Either withdrawal or continuation of defense and reinforcement of the city.

Both generals replied: do not withdraw and reinforce. And this opinion was unanimously backed by the Staff.

There were no other opinions.

I told the Commander-in-Chief to find the appropriate forces to help the guys in Bakhmut.

There is no part of Ukraine about which one can say that it can be abandoned. There is no Ukrainian trench in which the resilience and heroism of our warriors would be disregarded.

Kyiv Independent

quote:

https://kyivindependent.com/national/brigade-that-spent-2-months-in-bakhmut-it-was-becoming-harder-each-week

Brigade that spent 2 months in Bakhmut: ‘It was becoming harder each week’
by Asami Terajima
March 6, 2023 10:34 pm

Battling the Russians on the front line and fatigue in his head, Oleh had one mission: to ensure all 13 soldiers in his platoon got out of there alive.

Fortunately, the platoon rotated out of Bakhmut with just one injury. The wounded soldier is still being treated at the hospital, but his condition is stable. In general, however, the Ukrainian casualties are high in the Bakhmut area as Russia attacks across the entire front in its attempt to encircle the city.

Russian forces are pushing from the north and the south.

Their assault groups – made of about 10 people – attack Ukrainian positions daily. By holding onto Bakhmut, Ukrainian forces are inflicting casualties and destroying their equipment to reduce Russia's offensive capability in the area.

While Oleh and the rest are no longer deployed in the Bakhmut area, talks about the front-line situation in the city come up regularly in their conversations.

With the Russians slowly occupying small settlements around Bakhmut, Oleh thinks that the fall of Bakhmut is inevitable. "They will capture it," he said.

quote:

https://kyivindependent.com/national/ukrainian-soldiers-in-bakhmut-our-troops-are-not-being-protected

Ukrainian soldiers in Bakhmut: ‘Our troops are not being protected’
by Igor Kossov
March 5, 2023 6:30 pm

KOSTIANTYNIVKA, Donetsk Oblast – Russia’s relentless assault on Bakhmut is sacrificing waves and waves of unprepared men being sent to their deaths.

But multiple defenders of this embattled city in Donetsk Oblast feel that they are in a similar boat, according to interviews with more than a dozen soldiers currently fighting in or around Bakhmut.

During their brief visits to the nearby town of Kostiantynivka, Ukrainian infantrymen told the Kyiv Independent of unprepared, poorly-trained battalions being thrown into the front line meat grinder to survive as best they could with little support from armored vehicles, mortars, artillery, drones and tactical information.

They say that Russian artillery, infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers are often allowed to strike Ukrainian positions for hours or days without being shut down by Ukrainian heavy weapons. Some complained of poor coordination and situational awareness, allowing this to happen or making it even worse.

Mortarmen spoke of extreme ammunition scarcity and having to use weapons dating back to World War II. Drones that are supposed to provide critical reconnaissance information are also scarce and are being lost at very high rates in some parts of the battlefield.

All this leads to terrifying casualties of both dead and wounded. "The battalion came in in the middle of December… between all the different platoons, there were 500 of us," says Borys, a combat medic from Odesa Oblast fighting around Bakhmut. "A month ago, there were literally 150 of us."

“When you go out to the position, it’s not even a 50/50 chance that you’ll come out of there (alive),” says the older Serhiy. “It’s more like 30/70.”

Washington Post

quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/03/06/bakhmut-wagner-mercenaries-russia-ukraine/

Russia advances in Bakhmut by sending waves of mercenaries to certain death
March 6, 2023 at 2:52 p.m. EST

“Wagner and the mobilized are being just thrown like meat” toward the front line, Vatagin said.

Still, their fighting style poses a challenge to Ukrainian troops. And the waves and waves of them sent forward have proved exhausting, resulting in staggering casualties on both sides.

Despite reports of complaints from Ukrainian soldiers that they are fighting under desperate and untenable conditions, and military experts insisting that Bakhmut is of little long-term strategic value to Russia, Zelensky’s office issued a statement saying that Valery Zaluzhny, the Ukrainian military commander in chief, and Oleksandr Syrsky, the commander of ground forces, who is directing operations in the east, had each endorsed reinforcing and continuing the city’s defense.

“Assessing the course of the defense operation, the President asked Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valery Zaluzhny and Commander of the [eastern group of] troops Oleksandr Syrsky about further actions in the Bakhmut direction,” the statement said. “They spoke in favor of continuing the defense operation and further strengthening our positions in Bakhmut.”

That Zelensky’s office felt compelled to issue the statement highlighted the second-guessing now underway in Ukraine and abroad. Western military analysts have warned that battling to deny Russia a largely symbolic victory may be costing Ukraine too much.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It's probable that they are keeping a stock for a situation where they want to keep Ukrainian air defenses busy or try to hit some targets of opportunity. But how many missiles it would be, and how many new ones are they building per week, is unknown.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fizzy posted:

Office of the President of Ukraine

It appears that the decision has been made to say in Bakhmut. CNN's NATO sources say that AFU are trading at least 1:5 with RuAF in Bakhmut, so I guess that is the point of it. https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-03-06-23/h_265c92682c57b8228fbbf082fb3b6888

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It appears that the decision has been made to say in Bakhmut. CNN's NATO sources say that AFU are trading at least 1:5 with RuAF in Bakhmut, so I guess that is the point of it. https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-03-06-23/h_265c92682c57b8228fbbf082fb3b6888

Yeah, if the Kyiv Independent is posting articles like "Brigade that spent 2 months in Bakhmut: ‘It was becoming harder each week" and "Ukrainian soldiers in Bakhmut: ‘Our troops are not being protected’", with anecdotes like "They say that Russian artillery, infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers are often allowed to strike Ukrainian positions for hours or days without being shut down by Ukrainian heavy weapons. Some complained of poor coordination and situational awareness, allowing this to happen or making it even worse", then the carnage on the Russian side (at 5 times worse casualties) must be an absolute and utter hell-scape.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That appears to indicate that Russia lost 5x as many troops over the course of the whole battle, but that ratio may no longer hold true on a day-to-day basis now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

That appears to indicate that Russia lost 5x as many troops over the course of the whole battle, but that ratio may no longer hold true on a day-to-day basis now?

That's where I'm at, I'm very curious to see something like a weekly losses' ratio plot that distinguishes different Russian formations - RuAF, Wagner, "LDNR", volunteer battalions, and so on. I know I will never see it, or at least no until history books of the 2030s, but it would be quite illuminating here, I reckon.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
With Prigozhin complaining that all the gains in and around Bakhmut will be lost if Moscow does not start supplying Wagner properly, it does appear they are not as close to taking it as they keep reporting. However it does seem like Ukraine is using Bakhmut in order to fix the Russians in place (I would not want to be running reinforcements/supplies down that lone highway), but I doubt it will hold until mud season is over and Ukraine can employ their new tanks/armor and other recently donated munitions and in sufficient numbers.

According to Peter Zeihan, Ukraine needs to trade at a 1:9+ ratio (not just in Bakhmut) in order to effectively maintain their own force structure while depleting the Russians. That is going to be a tough trade to upkeep if his assessments are correct.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

According to Peter Zeihan, Ukraine needs to trade at a 1:9+ ratio (not just in Bakhmut) in order to effectively maintain their own force structure while depleting the Russians. That is going to be a tough trade to upkeep if his assessments are correct.

While I'm not sure who Zeihan is, the most bullish claims even Ukrainian leadership is producing peak at 1:7 (Danilov, which means it's virtually guaranteed to be bullshit).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Peter Zeihan is an ex-STRATFOR guy who knows his stuff but has perhaps eccentric views on geographic/economic determinism. I would not use him as a primary or sole source.

Here's him speaking on Joe Rogan (yes I know it's Joe Rogan, it's a decent interview): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9tnmdi6iFk. He lacks the spec knowledge of someone like Kofman or the recent detailed research people like Watling have been doing, but I think this clip contains a reasonable fair minded explanation of the Russian strategic mindset for someone coming at this topic fresh.

On power supplies this release seems to be the latest: https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/economic/895771.html. TLDR: things got quite bad at points in the Winter, but the infrastructure is fundamentally intact and they're working towards further decentralisation and resilience.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 7, 2023

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Here is a better and more recent talk with Zeihan on Ukraine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab24tDK9pV0
The other guest (Canadian guy who has lived in Ukraine for 30+ years) had some interesting takes as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While I'm not sure who Zeihan is, the most bullish claims even Ukrainian leadership is producing peak at 1:7 (Danilov, which means it's virtually guaranteed to be bullshit).

He's basically a random talking head with no claim to special knowledge of the Ukraine war.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus posted:

Haven't seen anything like that. Both Russia and Lukashenko are still trying to come up with a narrative that is the least embarrassing for them, and both have things they would like to not acknowledge. For Lukashenko it's showing that opposition partisans can operate with impunity for months, perform what amounts to a terroristic act, and swiftly escape abroad. For Russia, it's showing that half a dozen drones can successfully decommission a plane that costs more than annual military aid to Ukraine of some smaller countries. Synthesis of these two concerns will probably be something like Ukrainian agents in collaboration with local terrorists attempted to blow up a plane, failed, and are now apprehended.

Just going to quote myself re the drone attack on the A-50 in Belarus. Today Lukashenko pretty much said what I predicted, minus local terrorists, because that would still be conceding that the opposition are capable of domestic direct action. The apprehended 'terrorist' is exactly the guy ByPol said the police were looking for and who they said had no connection to the attack. The guy also just happens to be an IT specialist, according to Lukashenko, which can only be relevant because IT specialists participated in protests in 2020 in huge numbers. Lukashenko also said that those weren't regular drones like you can clearly tell from the videos, but some super special drones that were secretly used in Ukraine before, so that also accounts for Russia's concern that the attack appeared too simple to execute.

E: Spoke too soon. Apparently there were local terrorists, and around 20 were apprehended along with the main culprit. He was discovered at a small printing house on Minsk's outskirts with a bunch of extremist literature and opposition paraphernalia. Just the place to go and the things to have on you after a terrorist attack, clearly.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 7, 2023

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Paladinus posted:

Just going to quote myself re the drone attack on the A-50 in Belarus. Today Lukashenko pretty much said what I predicted, minus local terrorists, because that would still be conceding that the opposition are capable of domestic direct action. The apprehended 'terrorist' is exactly the guy ByPol said the police were looking for and who they said had no connection to the attack. The guy also just happens to be an IT specialist, according to Lukashenko, which can only be relevant because IT specialists participated in protests in 2020 in huge numbers. Lukashenko also said that those weren't regular drones like you can clearly tell from the videos, but some super special drones that were secretly used in Ukraine before, so that also accounts for Russia's concern that the attack appeared too simple to execute.

E: Spoke too soon. Apparently there were local terrorists, and around 20 were apprehended along with the main culprit. He was discovered at a small printing house on Minsk's outskirts with a bunch of extremist literature and opposition paraphernalia. Just the place to go and the things to have on you after a terrorist attack, clearly.

How many copies of Sims 3 did he have on him

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fragrag posted:

How many copies of Sims 3 did he have on him

They do need to print those international terrorist school framed diplomas somewhere, after all.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dick Ripple posted:

According to Peter Zeihan

I don't trust him and i find his talks shallow.

edit: throwing no shade at yourself, just my own view of the lad.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 7, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

1:9 is an insane ratio. I would be interested to know where that number comes from.

The Russian army does not have a mobilized manpower advantage over Ukraine. They have an advantage in hardware and ammunition. Which is why Ukraine is so focused on these defensive battles - their light infantry can fix the Russian hardware and destroy it with the (in comparison) limited artillery they have.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

DTurtle posted:

1:9 is an insane ratio. I would be interested to know where that number comes from.

Peter Zeihans rear end in a top hat, where the rest of his facts are plucked from.

To be clear he's a knowledgeable guy who clearly knows what he's talking about, but hes also very aware that unless he gives something meaty to chew in in his talks he wont stand out. In that talk he is ABSOLUTELY SURE that there will be a nuclear exchange at some point if x follows y in terms of world events etc. He gave this exact speech this time last year, he's just moved the goal posts back a year because he was incorrect.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Paladinus posted:

He was discovered at a small printing house on Minsk's outskirts with a bunch of extremist literature and opposition paraphernalia.

Are there specific details on what/where this shop was?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Zeihan's biggest strength seems to be a broad understanding of demographic analysis and global industrial supply chains, and I have learned some insights from him when he talks about those fields. But I feel leery about trusting what he says on other topics, he's just got the air of a charlatan about him when he branches out past his wheelhouse

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dick Ripple posted:

With Prigozhin complaining that all the gains in and around Bakhmut will be lost if Moscow does not start supplying Wagner properly

Of course, it's worth noting that just because Prigozhin claims that everything will be lost if Prigozhin's personal special troops don't get all the toys he wants, doesn't mean that's actually true. The man very much has angles to play here in his messaging.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vaginaface posted:

Are there specific details on what/where this shop was?

It was in Borovlyany, apparently, but nothing else is known for now. Borovlyany is kind of an upper class suburb, again, that just so happens to be full of people active during 2020 protests. Lukashenko's ordered to make sure that all details are disclosed by KGB at once to state media, so we'll know more soon enough.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tomn posted:

Of course, it's worth noting that just because Prigozhin claims that everything will be lost if Prigozhin's personal special troops don't get all the toys he wants, doesn't mean that's actually true. The man very much has angles to play here in his messaging.

Yeah, I really wouldn't read too much into the messaging. He sounds like every project manager everywhere who has a pet project and needs to compete for supplies/people.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/us/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-sabotage-ukraine.html

Pro-Ukranian freelancers allegedly responsible for the Nordstream explosions now per NYT? Or at least suggested as such. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
That seems like an odd thing for a group of freelancers to be able to do, but maybe there are some really opinionated hobby divers?