Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Edgy attention-getting marketing in the 90s was just, as the old man said, the style at the time.

Continued into the 00s as well, where's the "what are you going to wear today?" Perfect Dark ad

e: aha, here we are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZMph4U0w3o

Aces High has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BioEnchanted posted:

I always liked Milenia from Grandia 2, I liked her whole vibe and her initially parasitic relationship with Elena developed in interesting ways.

Oh hell yeah, Grandia 2 and Millenia especially owned.

Also the battle theme for G2 goes way fuckin' harder than it has any right to. It rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONfsUCAARE

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Grandia 2 whips rear end and holds up amazingly well. Still to this day one of the best combat systems ever designed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Aces High posted:

Continued into the 00s as well, where's the "what are you going to wear today?" Perfect Dark ad

e: aha, here we are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZMph4U0w3o

I always hated how late 90s commercials for N64 and PS1 would always show game footage of explosions, because that's when the frame rate drops to single digits and makes the game look like poo poo. I always thought, you're showing the worst parts of how the game performs!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

posts you can hear

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Offler posted:

It all looks incredibly weird to me. Like, do I understand it right that the reason a 15-year old 1-min video about a forgotten video game was posted now was so people would understand why some don't like the term JRPG? But the review didn't even say "JRPG"? Nor was it a review of anything, just some lame attempts at humor, which I guess is bad if you like the game. Did they review other games normally, but this only got 40 seconds of skits?

I used to play JRPGS back then, but I don't understand a loving thing about this.

It's really racist and the weirdly persistent racism around japanese games from the early 2000s to the 2010s was loving everywhere

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's really racist and the weirdly persistent racism around japanese games from the early 2000s to the 2010s was loving everywhere

didn't the Fez guy take a lot of heat for going off on some rant on how japanese games were garbage? Or was it it the Braid guy?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ambitious Spider posted:

didn't the Fez guy take a lot of heat for going off on some rant on how japanese games were garbage? Or was it it the Braid guy?

Mostly Fish, but Blow agreed.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

The reason I was so confused was that someone had cut down the review into a 1 minute video that wasted the first 20 seconds on an intro and the last 25 seconds on the "joke" of saying the same word over and over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Offler posted:

The reason I was so confused was that someone had cut down the review into a 1 minute video that wasted the first 20 seconds on an intro and the last 25 seconds on the "joke" of saying the same word over and over.

That was the review

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yeah you did not in fact miss much but i understand the confusion

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Offler posted:

It all looks incredibly weird to me. Like, do I understand it right that the reason a 15-year old 1-min video about a forgotten video game was posted now was so people would understand why some don't like the term JRPG? But the review didn't even say "JRPG"? Nor was it a review of anything, just some lame attempts at humor, which I guess is bad if you like the game. Did they review other games normally, but this only got 40 seconds of skits?

I used to play JRPGS back then, but I don't understand a loving thing about this.

the real context is that the director of final fantasy 16 mentioned in an interview that he was coming up in the gamedev world at a time when "JRPG was a dirty word," and as a result he's spent a lot of effort on steering final fantasy into directions that don't fit a traditional JRPG, which a good amount of people don't really like. and the discourse around when that was the case dug up examples like this to explain exactly how bad it was and how the perception of the game industry being like that might effect someone's outlook

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Today's Jimquisition has a clip of a gaming panel where a couple of white guys tell a Japanese guy that all JRPGs suck, which is what I thought this conversation was about. It's :staredog: as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDyONiXSjM

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Today's Jimquisition has a clip of a gaming panel where a couple of white guys tell a Japanese guy that all JRPGs suck, which is what I thought this conversation was about. It's :staredog: as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDyONiXSjM

To be fair, I think they were saying that all contemporary Japanese games, period, suck. :geno:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

And bipartisan, too. If anything, even a bit worse on the liberal 'progressive' side, things like 'bombed back to traditional values' thrown around casually is some pretty eyebrow-raising stuff.

Heh, funny that YoshiP is very uniquely placed to actually have the respect and sympathy to spark what's looking to be a bit of a reckoning, and it's very interesting to see the reactions, who's engaging and who's doubling and tripling down.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm gonna spilt the difference and continue to love jrpgs as I always have, but I will also continue to hate anime.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

New thread title

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That era was such a wasteland. What’s true is that the Japanese game industry was having trouble adjusting to the demands of the HD era. Game development costs became a lot more expensive, and decades long practices weren’t going to cut it anymore.

Western development wasn’t in a great place either. This era gave rise to the AAA game, meaning hyper group focus tested games to appeal to the widest audience possible. Games like Bioshock and the Price of Persia reboot didn’t even let you die (Prince of Persia literally held the player’s hand). This is when we got the cliche of the player character taking to themselves to give away the puzzle solution before you even get a chance to assess the situation.

I credit From Software and Dark Souls for getting the industry out of those dark times. Yeah, Demons came out first, but it was Dark Souls that got the mainstream attention. Ironically, we’d never get the series if it weren’t for Sony wanting a rival to Oblivion while giving it only a $20 budget and writing the whole project off.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
lol games are only good if they're obtuse, punishing, and nobody but likes it but me :jerkbag:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either way, the Jimquisition video convinced me to stop using the term JRPG and just call them turn-based, real-time or action RPGs. She did a good job of pointing out how meaningless the term is as a term, and how inherently racist it is on the face of it even before considering the cultural appropriation aspect.

I do laugh/call bullshit on anyone who say that Japanese games are all bad from the mid-00's onward and point to their RPGs while North American developers are constantly shoveling out FPSes on a continuous cycle.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

sick of Applebees posted:

lol games are only good if they're obtuse, punishing, and nobody but likes it but me :jerkbag:

Those games are overwhelmingly popular and mainstream. Comparing things to Dark Soul quickly became a cliche.

Over a decade later, the successor Elden Ring would go on to sell 20 million copies and win numerous awards.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Games like Bioshock and the Price of Persia reboot didn’t even let you die (Prince of Persia literally held the player’s hand).

Ah yes, examples of bad games :hmmyes:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Randalor posted:

Either way, the Jimquisition video convinced me to stop using the term JRPG and just call them turn-based, real-time or action RPGs. She did a good job of pointing out how meaningless the term is as a term, and how inherently racist it is on the face of it even before considering the cultural appropriation aspect.

I do laugh/call bullshit on anyone who say that Japanese games are all bad from the mid-00's onward and point to their RPGs while North American developers are constantly shoveling out FPSes on a continuous cycle.

Genres are usually pretty vague to begin with but video game genres seem uniquely terribly

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They’re not bad games, just good examples of how the AAA game industry’s blandness. They would lead to worse things. Prince of Persia got a forgotten weird semi-reboot/remake of the Sands of Time to coincide with a movie no one remembers. Bioshock gave way to Bioshock Infinite.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aramek posted:

I'm gonna spilt the difference and continue to love jrpgs as I always have, but I will also continue to hate anime.

Most JRPGs are just shonen animes anyway

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Ah yes, examples of bad games :hmmyes:

:yeah:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Genres are usually pretty vague to begin with but video game genres seem uniquely terribly

Is Metroid Prime An FPS is always a fun one to ask.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I credit From Software and Dark Souls for getting the industry out of those dark times. Yeah, Demons came out first, but it was Dark Souls that got the mainstream attention. Ironically, we’d never get the series if it weren’t for Sony wanting a rival to Oblivion while giving it only a $20 budget and writing the whole project off.

That definitely seems to have been the turning point. I'm not sure if Souls sparked it but it's surprise success was definitely the first clear sign of a sea change.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They’re not bad games, just good examples of how the AAA game industry’s blandness. They would lead to worse things. Prince of Persia got a forgotten weird semi-reboot/remake of the Sands of Time to coincide with a movie no one remembers. Bioshock gave way to Bioshock Infinite.

I'd argue Bioshock 1 always was and remains a bad game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Bee posted:

What else would it be? Platformer?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Adventure" but that's also a "so vague as to be useless" descriptor.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

metroidvania

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Bee posted:

Games can be more than one genre, good night! * MORDO Noises *

I guess in a meta way, discussions on genre tend to age poorly. Rock and Roll as a genre is (to me) very ill defined but it doesn't stop every musician for claiming their subgenre is true rock.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Detective No. 27 posted:

the Price of Persia reboot didn’t even let you die (Prince of Persia literally held the player’s hand).

This is a bit of a misconception -- yes, for story purposes, the player character's heart never actually technically stopped, instead your companion warped you back to the last checkpoint. But in gameplay terms it was almost identical to just dying and respawning at a checkpoint like any other game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Aramek posted:

Yakuzas are only good JRPG:s and that's because they aren't anime.
They're Jdrama.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Bee posted:

It's a first person game where you shoot, where's the confusion? It's also a fighting game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the point about Bioshock not letting you die seems kinda weird because the vita-chamber (or whatever it was called) concept was lifted directly from System Shock. Granted, in those games you usually had to do some exploring and, very likely, die for real a couple times before you figured out where and how to activate the respawn location for that deck but still, that was from 1994. That was a new idea for non-RPG games (unless it was also something that appeared in an Ultima game) since the majority of action games at the time either gave you lives or restarted the level, but stripped you back to your starting equipment

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The wording/declaration is definitely inflammatory, but the blowback seems a bit weird? If I am an indie movie maker and I say "I think American cinema sucks", it's easy enough to understand that I probably meant "Hollywood cookie cutter blockbusters" when I said "American". And if I am an Hollywood Blockbuster director and I say "French movies suck" I'm probably not talking about Ronin or something like that.

Again, the wording is really aggressive, the generalisation wide enough to be offensive and I guess you could argue that he is "punching down"; but at the same time an indie dev saying that japanese megacorp games are bad hardly seems to be punching down, even if he is white. Especially cause that seemed to be a widespread sentiment among (at least certain) tripleA Japanese game corps at the time.

Edit: finally, it feels super weird considering SA stance on Anime in general although I guess people could be talking specifically about western made anime when they say "anime is bad" as a blanket statement.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Mar 7, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Having a limited number of "lives" was a relic of arcade game monetization and I'm glad it's not really a thing anymore, outside of deliberately retro stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

The wording/declaration is definitely inflammatory, but the blowback seems a bit weird? If I am an indie movie maker and I say "I think American cinema sucks", it's easy enough to understand that I probably meant "Hollywood cookie cutter blockbusters" when I said "American". And if I am an Hollywood Blockbuster director and I say "French movies suck" I'm probably not talking about Ronin or something like that.

Again, the wording is really aggressive, the generalisation wide enough to be offensive and I guess you could argue that he is "punching down"; but at the same time an indie dev saying that japanese megacorp games are bad hardly seems to be punching down, even if he is white. Especially cause that seemed to be a widespread sentiment among (at least certain) tripleA Japanese game corps at the time.

It was incredibly racist and any points that applied to japanese studios equally applied to western studios of the same size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Edit: finally, it feels super weird considering SA stance on Anime in general although I guess people could be talking specifically about western made anime when they say "anime is bad" as a blanket statement.

I don’t get your point, you seem to agree it’s offensive but it actually isn’t???