Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Miles/Wood books About Time are an incredible resource on the original run

Seconding this, they're up to nine volumes now (minus Miles once they hit the new series), and I think that's up to the end of Season 3? They're not the cheapest books, but there's so much in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wolfechu posted:

Seconding this, they're up to nine volumes now (minus Miles once they hit the new series), and I think that's up to the end of Season 3? They're not the cheapest books, but there's so much in them.

About Time is an absolutely brilliant series. I only own the first three volumes, and all the Lawrence Miles chat reminded me that I have been meaning to buy the fourth one for ages, but looks like it's a good thing I didn't because apparently they're bringing out an extended second edition of About Time 4 this year!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Forktoss posted:

About Time is an absolutely brilliant series. I only own the first three volumes, and all the Lawrence Miles chat reminded me that I have been meaning to buy the fourth one for ages, but looks like it's a good thing I didn't because apparently they're bringing out an extended second edition of About Time 4 this year!

The additional material's only by Tat Wood, as Lawrence Miles left the partnership after the initial 6 were complete fwiw

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

Really glad to see big finish putting out a download version of Excelis -- the list of things they don't offer as downloads is getting smaller

Excelis is extremely odd but worth a listen for Giles from Buffy alone

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The additional material's only by Tat Wood, as Lawrence Miles left the partnership after the initial 6 were complete fwiw

Yeah, I have the 2nd edition of Vol. 3 and it's credited just to Wood on the cover with a note on the inside also crediting Miles. But I assume all the original 1st edition material by them both is still there in all these extended editions.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Excelis is extremely odd but worth a listen for Giles from Buffy alone

Favorite story from the recording was Head, due to availability, had to record his parts separate, and he was utterly blown away that BF had somehow managed to book The League of Gentlemen's Mark Gatiss to read opposite of him!

edit: speaking of Head
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1630916454873800706?t=YloueIWTMhe9DV4LBamRAg&s=19

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 1, 2023

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Forktoss posted:

Yeah, I have the 2nd edition of Vol. 3 and it's credited just to Wood on the cover with a note on the inside also crediting Miles. But I assume all the original 1st edition material by them both is still there in all these extended editions.

Yeah, I don't think they necessarily cut anything, just expanded it. Vol. 3 is easily the thickest volume, after they added stuff like "How come the Third Doctor never bumped into Torchwood?", which hadn't even been conceived of when the first edition came out

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Wake up babe, new Dalek discourse dropped:

https://twitter.com/cypunklibrarian/status/1630989562498482178?s=46

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I haven't seen a stretch like that since my tumblr days over 10 years ago.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
objectively speaking, are daleks or cybermen better at dying? which sides dies more often and more importantly, which side has more of those deceased stay dead?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The Daleks are my problematic fave.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1631338591057059845

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What's more evil than a Kaled mutant?

https://twitter.com/jfmouthonlegs/status/1631356301430120459?t=5Ey5Y_zR-0npvSlu7yr2Sw&s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

She's the best :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Been sick the last couple days and finally catching up on Flux -- did I miss something about the flux getting undone? Cause I'm watching and yeah the doggo fleet shield was keeping earth safe but wasn't the entire rest of the universe still devoured?

Like; it's doctor who so I know it was never gonna actually /stick/ but I must've missed the fun technobabble fix

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

Been sick the last couple days and finally catching up on Flux -- did I miss something about the flux getting undone? Cause I'm watching and yeah the doggo fleet shield was keeping earth safe but wasn't the entire rest of the universe still devoured?

Like; it's doctor who so I know it was never gonna actually /stick/ but I must've missed the fun technobabble fix

No. It's never addressed. Unless I'm forgetting something huge, The Power of the Doctor just exists like the Flux never happened.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

No. It's never addressed. Unless I'm forgetting something huge, The Power of the Doctor just exists like the Flux never happened.

Plus two other specials -- I skipped ahead and watched Power for my boy McGann, but I'm also due my first watch of Eve of the Daleks and whatever the sea devil one is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Yep. About the only thing that might possibly maybe perhaps tangentially almost potentially be considered kind of a "resolution" to that whole thing is that the Doctor tells the Ood that they could use the engine to reverse the damage the Flux did. The Ood says he can't let her do that, she starts to talk about his fellow Ood and then the Sugar Skull Gang showed up, killed Not-Rassilon and zapped the Doctor away, leaving the Ood sitting between universes. I guess maybe he might have decided,"Ehh gently caress it?" and fixed things?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man I really don't want to be down on a showrunner like this but that's really just unfortunate. What a mess Chibnall's tenure was

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In other news, I'm also catching up on some audios and Liv & Tania Go To Evil IKEA was so much fun. Liv and Tania supremacy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Timby posted:

Vinder is in it, and I'm pretty sure the Daleks and Cybermen are responding to what the Doctor did in Flux.

But Vinder's role isn't tied to the events of Flux at all and the villains could just be responding to any time the Doctor thwarted their plans.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yep. About the only thing that might possibly maybe perhaps tangentially almost potentially be considered kind of a "resolution" to that whole thing is that the Doctor tells the Ood that they could use the engine to reverse the damage the Flux did. The Ood says he can't let her do that, she starts to talk about his fellow Ood and then the Sugar Skull Gang showed up, killed Not-Rassilon and zapped the Doctor away, leaving the Ood sitting between universes. I guess maybe he might have decided,"Ehh gently caress it?" and fixed things?

“Didn’t everything get destroyed?”
“Yeah, but it all got fixed by Act of Ood.”

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've watched them all twice and with rare exception, I don't remember Chibnall's run. Like, at all.

It just falls out of my head.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Complete Jodie Whittaker Years only has a DVD release announced. Boo! Boo, I say!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've been playing with Chat AI RPGs lately, and while they're fun, they're have a habit of Things Just Happening with no lead in. One of the current limitations is the amount of words the AI can hold in memory (about 3000-4000), before it starts forgetting things from earlier on. So you can start off on a quest with an inciting incident, but if you carry on too long, that incident falls out of memory and the AI doesn't know what you're talking about.

I realised this is exactly what Chibnall's Who felt like. There's often no throughline, things just happen, people turn up somehow, and then the events are largely forgotten as it moves on. :tinfoil:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's a fantastic metaphor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The Complete Jodie Whittaker Years only has a DVD release announced. Boo! Boo, I say!

What the gently caress? What is this, 2007?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Meanwhile, the last couple of Missing Episodes releases have only had Blu-Ray releases here in the US.

Elsewhere, the Torchwood audio "The Great Sontaran War" was amazing.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
US releases suck overall - it’s more than likely that the Season 2 set is going to have the Beatles scene cut out (despite someone working on it saying they only made one master disk for all territories), and we’re still several months behind the UK releases.

At least the Whittaker set is probably a basic one, and there’s a fancy oversized deluxe set like the Smith and Capaldi ones coming out for Christmas. I’d just like more re-releases like that complete Tennant bluray set…

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Beatles clip is a rights issue. A Beatles song was replaced in Evil of the Daleks too

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1633089303424188422?t=JJfVOnKY4oG9DqrBdtTDCQ&s=19

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Beatles clip is a rights issue. A Beatles song was replaced in Evil of the Daleks too

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1633089303424188422?t=JJfVOnKY4oG9DqrBdtTDCQ&s=19

Angel moves closer. It's never taken its eyes off the Silence. Now, if the Silence closed a door between it and the Angel, then the Angel wanders off forgetting what it was chasing down.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Oh I know - I’m just more disappointed that they gave the impression there would be an unedited episode (since they made one master copy for one region) - when this happened with the DVD release they didn’t think about the commentary and there’s a very noticeable edit.

At least if they’d prepared an international master disc they could have properly worked round the commentary.

Still, it just means I’ll end up getting the UK budget edition as well whenever it comes out!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yay!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1633847515551498241?t=u5q5-rS-eiad3vbWD_eZbA&s=19

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Truly astonishing that Eccleston ended up not just willing to come back to the role, but to do so for now nearly 4 times as many stories as he had on TV.

Though I guess the "wow they actually got him to come back??" feels aren't much different than Tom Baker

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My 10 year old self is squealing with joy!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

His stories are so much fun. "Girl, Deconstructed" is BRILLIANT

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1634252786765553668

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Christ, no thanks.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

If it’s anything like the Lower Decks game this company did, it’ll be a trashy idle game which you can’t progress on without spending money.

It’ll probably have good writing, but that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Need a source for that last claim