Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I have that exact same one and it's still on the original battery some 6+ years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

norp posted:

My "cheap" ones mentioned earlier are not anywhere near as cheap as the ones in the big Clive video

Original AX listing is gone but they look the same as these ones

Mostly I use them in manual mode just because I can't be hosed digging up a battery and undoing screws. Seriously why isn't there a physical switch???

I read this as "Meat Caliper" at first...I'm tired, but at the same time I wouldn't put it past AliExpress to sell a scientific dong measurement device.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You would need to use calipers to measure you're dilz. Your mom told me. Last night. IN BED.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

By popular demand posted:

You would need to use calipers to measure you're dilz. Your mom told me. Last night. IN BED.

Gross that you’re talking about her child in bed

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Some people are are just bedroom freaks and outside it you'd never know.

Give my regards to your grandma BTW.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Hey guys, do y’all know your

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't like the sound of intimate after-sales

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

My posters arrived, mostly all right.
I also ordered two custom ones I think you may want to see and compare:
Original files:

Posters:

store link- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004335688890.html

they also rolled in with the posters I ordered 3 other posters, presumably to better protect the whole shipment. (2 anime and one weakass fight club logo)

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 7, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Engineering companies sell off old calipers on eBay sometimes, with a lot of projects I found that I needed a pair larger than the standard 150ish millimetre pairs so I got a pair of second hand ~350mm long mitotoyu(?) pro calipers with the absolute scale for £60 because the little thumb wheel had snapped off.

I'm only on battery 2 like 4 years later.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ni-MH rechargeable coin cells exist, such as https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005004305849398.html

While a proper charge regulating circuit is always a good idea, ni-mh's will survive quite a while (years) when you charge them at 1/10 C when needed for 10-12 hours (even if that means you're overcharging them) and then leave them off the charger for a month or so.
Ni-MHs don't explode when overcharging.

The downside of Ni-MH is the self discharge. Only if you use your calipers each day you'll exhaust the battery sooner from use than from self discharge.

Another option is just a random lithium flat cell (like harvested from vapes) and a tiny battery charger circuit. I got a few of those sitting around. For instance: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003586772730.html

Keep an eye on the correct charge current setting with those boards. Often it's preset to 1A and for 0,5A or lower you have to swap out a little resistor.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 7, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

I don't like the sound of intimate after-sales

Pillow talk with a purpose

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My posters arrived, mostly all right.
I also ordered two custom ones I think you may want to see and compare:

I've been thinking of making a poster of a page in a children's book. I'm not sure the local print shop would let me on copyright grounds, though it might be okay if it's a foreign book? In any case, Ali would be a great option. I wonder if there's a way to tweak the colors, etc. in the provided file so it comes out looking like it ought to. I also wonder if I have the time and inclination to even bother. :/ I had a gorgeous panorama shot specially printed off my phone that wound up looking like poo poo because no one tells you you need to adjust the hell out of the input with your monitor brightness set to 30%.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That specifically is a copyright free image (and also it seems my phone color corrected or something, in reality it's the same kind of yellowish craft paper the other image is on)

when I contacted the store to ask what resolution pictures they can work with I just got a terse "the more the better" so I wouldn't get my hopes up for replies on color and such.
then again I was very pleased with the quality for the cost.

E: here are the extra posters that were included for free:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 7, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Seem to be yellow craft paper perfect for wood cut type art. Not for photos.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Anyone ever tried the massage gun thingies they sell on Ali? I'm getting a bunch of ads for them, and I'd really like one, but my most adventurous Ali purchase has been moulds for my wife's pandemic soap-making phase. (Verdict: perfectly fine, but I didn't read the sizes properly so a bunch are weirdly small.)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

mycelia posted:

but my most adventurous Ali purchase has been moulds for my wife's pandemic soap-making phase. (Verdict: perfectly fine, but I didn't read the sizes properly so a bunch are weirdly small.)

Glad to see this was a thing. My wife’s on candles and stuff now.

We got a massage gun off Amazon, it’s been fine. I’m still a bit leery on rechargeable appliances from overseas due to questionable/unknown QC. At least with Amazon I can reasonably return it.

If anyone has wasted extensive time on terrible shirts I am still open before I place my order. I don’t know if I can bring myself to wear the confederate flag one, I would have a difficult time reacting well to those who liked it.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I don’t know how those massage guns stack up but I got a TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) machine, and for me it’s about the next best thing after an actual massage.

I’ve been wary to recommend it here because:
A) Medical type device from ae
B) Not everyone can enjoy / appreciate being electrocuted repeatedly… Results from when I’ve let others try it are very mixed, some buy their own and some want it stopped instantly.

It does well on my back, where I get some pain fairly regularly, I can stick it on for an hour and get relief.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I would buy the poo poo out of a discount TENS machine but maybe I'm a weirdo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If there's one thing you can count on AE products to do it's electrocute you. Might as well roll the dice on a product that's intended to do so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shocking you is OK, electrocuting is definitely not.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

I've been thinking of making a poster of a page in a children's book. I'm not sure the local print shop would let me on copyright grounds, though it might be okay if it's a foreign book?

let them say no, you don't have to do it for them

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

mycelia posted:

Anyone ever tried the massage gun thingies they sell on Ali? I'm getting a bunch of ads for them, and I'd really like one, but my most adventurous Ali purchase has been moulds for my wife's pandemic soap-making phase. (Verdict: perfectly fine, but I didn't read the sizes properly so a bunch are weirdly small.)
The small ones are perfect for bath melts, which are incredibly helpful when your skin is dry in winter. My bath melts are only like 1 oz but the effect is amazing

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There is no doubt in my mind that those are better than the ones you actually picked out

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

There is no doubt in my mind that those are better than the ones you actually picked out
Yeah, those are pretty kickass for random posters. Lucky you!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That specifically is a copyright free image (and also it seems my phone color corrected or something, in reality it's the same kind of yellowish craft paper the other image is on)

when I contacted the store to ask what resolution pictures they can work with I just got a terse "the more the better" so I wouldn't get my hopes up for replies on color and such.
then again I was very pleased with the quality for the cost.

This made me look up what other Junji Ito things they had and made me aware of Junji Ito socks as well as mad that they don't come in my size.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

mycelia posted:

Last time I got to try out one of those massage guns I thought "hmm this is a lot like a jigsaw with a ball on it"
so I checked out ali and what do you know they have massage gun ends for jigsaws.
:nws: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=D6vBZZdwFvLk:nws:
There is no way in hell I'd trust those things on a jigsaw I just thought it was neat that someone thought to try
making them instead of yet another dildo attachment. :dong:

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 8, 2023

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Shocking you is OK, electrocuting is definitely not.

You have to harden yourself to it, just a little electrocution at a time. Eventually you’ll toughen up.

Anne Whateley posted:

The small ones are perfect for bath melts, which are incredibly helpful when your skin is dry in winter. My bath melts are only like 1 oz but the effect is amazing

Like this, you just put the TENS unit on low and get in the bath and just…melt.

What do you mean that’s not what they meant?! :mad:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Make very sure those TENS units are actually putting out AC. DC shocks will cause electrolysis in your skin and then you'll have a Bad Time. Try and find some reviews not on aliexpress.

DC is cheaper to make so sometimes chinese vendors try and get away with it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

coldpudding posted:

Last time I got to try out one of those massage guns I thought "hmm this is a lot like a jigsaw with a ball on it"
so I checked out ali and what do you know they have massage gun ends for jigsaws.
:nws: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=D6vBZZdwFvLk:nws:
There is no way in hell I'd trust those things on a jigsaw I just thought it was neat that someone thought to try
making them instead of yet another dildo attachment. :dong:

Bend over the saw horse

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

I've been thinking of making a poster of a page in a children's book. I'm not sure the local print shop would let me on copyright grounds, though it might be okay if it's a foreign book? In any case, Ali would be a great option. I wonder if there's a way to tweak the colors, etc. in the provided file so it comes out looking like it ought to. I also wonder if I have the time and inclination to even bother. :/ I had a gorgeous panorama shot specially printed off my phone that wound up looking like poo poo because no one tells you you need to adjust the hell out of the input with your monitor brightness set to 30%.

A lot of print shops don't give a poo poo about things like that, just ask them, they will at most tell you they won't do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Depending on where you live, it might not even be against the law to make a copy of a copyrighted work.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It might be illegal for the print shop to charge you for providing that print. You aren't monetising it, but they are.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

DRINK ME posted:

I don’t know how those massage guns stack up but I got a TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) machine, and for me it’s about the next best thing after an actual massage.

I’ve been wary to recommend it here because:
A) Medical type device from ae
B) Not everyone can enjoy / appreciate being electrocuted repeatedly… Results from when I’ve let others try it are very mixed, some buy their own and some want it stopped instantly.

It does well on my back, where I get some pain fairly regularly, I can stick it on for an hour and get relief.

Thank you very much, everyone! The electrocution issue was definitely what I was worried about. I'm quoting you specifically DRINK ME because I've been super curious about TENS machines, knowing that my mum had good luck with them a longass time ago, and also that I'm poor AF. Is there a way to tell if it's using AC vs DC? Anything I should look out for?

Also I will pass the message on vis a vis bath melts! The soap making supplies are still around, they only get brought out when it's time for gifts, but diversification isn't a bad idea :thunk: This thread encouraged me to give it a try in the first place even though I was just lurking, so I've got y'all to thank for some great gift ideas for her :shobon:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Here, I’ve melted my brain further:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

mycelia posted:

Is there a way to tell if it's using AC vs DC? Anything I should look out for?

If it's battery operated, it's probably DC.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It'll probably (hopefully) be running an oscillator of some sort to deliver signals at some frequency. It doesn't work well with straight DC.

E - it doesn't need anything much, it's a low power signal at <100Hz. You could do it square wave but I think that has high frequency effects from switching that feel unpleasant.

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 8, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

SubNat posted:

Has anyone bought any digital calipers off Ali that they liked/hated/were neutral on?
Looks like the models I can buy locally for 25-30$ are basically the same as the 3-5$ models on ali.

Adding my experience to the pile, but I bought three 12 inch digital calipers from ali, and I checked them with my gage block set and they were all accurate to .001 right out to the 12 inch mark at 1 inch intervals.

They are finicky though. One of them will randomly zero out and switch to metric if I push on the housing in a certain way. The other two just blow through batteries.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

goatface posted:

It'll probably (hopefully) be running an oscillator of some sort to deliver signals at some frequency. It doesn't work well with straight DC.

E - it doesn't need anything much, it's a low power signal at <100Hz. You could do it square wave but I think that has high frequency effects from switching that feel unpleasant.

Big Clive once did a video on an electroshock butt plug and found that it was DC, but reversed polarity every so many pulses. I guess that's one way to slow down the electrolysis.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lowtax posted a pic once in these shorts I think came from Japan with poo poo written on the front of them split across the two legs, with a crucifix under each pair of letters. Someone find those for me on Ali or wherever, I want them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

fish = commit tax fraud everyday
That’s beautiful.
-

I had no idea about AC/DC in TENS machines, mine is powered by a 9v battery (just those off the shelf rectangular ones) and it does well, I assume that means it’s DC? I took a look through the booklet and there’s no mention of AC/DC but there’s a bunch of pictures of the pulse waveforms that are really pretty and completely unhelpful.

The one I have is years old now and doesn’t seem to exist for sale any more, this one is the closest I could find and is probably some sort of successor. The grey lcd screen, the layout/options on the screen, two output leads, 9v battery, buttons - almost the same but not quite - and mine is boxy square instead of those rounded edges.