Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

I said come in! posted:

Didn't the banks that loaned him money for buying Twitter, basically forgive that debt right away? Or what happened with that? I am probably outdated on my info, but I remember reading that Bank of America, and Wells Fargo were like "yeah we admit this was probably a bad idea, he isnt going to be able to pay us back."

They have written down the loans last quarter as a lost but they still need to get like 80%-90% of their principal back. The most I have seen mentioned is a 20% write down. https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/musks-banks-book-twitter-loan-losses-avoid-big-hits-sources-2022-12-14/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I said come in! posted:

Didn't the banks that loaned him money for buying Twitter, basically forgive that debt right away? Or what happened with that? I am probably outdated on my info, but I remember reading that Bank of America, and Wells Fargo were like "yeah we admit this was probably a bad idea, he isnt going to be able to pay us back."

I think they sold most of it at a steep discount, like 60 cents on the dollar, but I'm not a finance toucher.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Superrodan posted:

Man, I hope whatever this is is an amazing trainwreck. I imagine that if he's publicly posting about it, it will be too heavily curated to offer too much enjoyability.

I dunno, Elno isn't exactly one to have any kind of awareness even to avoid public humiliation when planning ahead of time. Something something cybertruck baseball window.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Superrodan posted:

Man, I hope whatever this is is an amazing trainwreck. I imagine that if he's publicly posting about it, it will be too heavily curated to offer too much enjoyability.

EDIT: According to the timestamps, it should have already happened so I imagine it was nothing.

It was the softest of softball interviews

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe musk doesnt know speech to text is a sort of okay tech because every time he tries it the computer goes "shut the gently caress up loser. jesus, my elevator cousin in scotland hears and trolls better english speakers than you."

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

MJeff posted:

I'm going to assume Elon got really annoyed about this guy in particular because he's rich but he doesnt try to cheat his taxes and just pays them, which is completely incompatible to Elon.

lol not only does he pay his taxes, he explicitly took a salary at Twitter instead of a buyout so he could pay more taxes to give back to the society that helped him when he needed it. This man is everything Musk isn't, including most importantly: effortlessly likeable. That last one must really be getting under Elon's skin

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BigBadSteve posted:

Yep. I'm thinking he must have written programs back in the day, rather than maintaining other people's, and spent a lot of time admiring his own handiwork. He probably admired his code a whole lot more than the maintenance programmers who dealt with it after him. I'm guessing his code would have included bugger all comments (no consideration for the programmer after him), or if he wrote comments some stupid snarky ones, with maybe the odd facetious joke and random digs at minorities and anyone left of Nixon.

Being a spoiled self-centered fuckwad, Moron imagines that every programmer's job must be very much like the job he had. And all that's stopping them becoming as successful as he is laziness, because of course everything he has is due to his own super hard work and nothing at all to do with inherited privilege or exploiting the labor of others.

There was a long-form article about Musk I've now lost the link to but it covered his time at his start-up, Zip2. He wrote a lot of the initial code but when investors decided to expand the site they binned all of it rather than try to maintain it. They switched to a completely different <s>code</s> technology stack.

Just lol at this numpty describing the Twitter backend as "brittle". It's a garbage platform with a bad-by-design user interface, but the backend was engineered by some of the smartest people in their respective fields overcoming all kinds of scaling, latency, redundancy and reliability issues.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Steadiman posted:

lol not only does he pay his taxes, he explicitly took a salary at Twitter instead of a buyout so he could pay more taxes to give back to the society that helped him when he needed it. This man is everything Musk isn't, including most importantly: effortlessly likeable. That last one must really be getting under Elon's skin

Also his wife and kids still love him.

:lol:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Almost Smart posted:

Maybe I’m being unfair, but at this point I assume everyone I see driving a Tesla is a crypto-bro, a small business tyrant or someone earnestly willing to tell you all about about age of consent laws.

Sometimes they're douchebag ex-BMW/Audi drivers that realized that with a faster acceleration they can drive like even more of an aggressive rear end in a top hat

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Decon posted:

Also his wife and kids still love him.

:lol:

He basically hit Elon with the "I sleep in a big bed with my wife." Just eviscerated him with a smile on his face.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
So...the greediest man in the world, who's afraid to go the bathroom alone in his own office, picked a fight with man in wheelchair w cerebral palsy?! And this is what his acolytes consider "alpha"
?!

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
I'd rather sex the cripple

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/1633165337716748305

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Binary Logic posted:

So...the greediest man in the world, who's afraid to go the bathroom alone in his own office, picked a fight with man in wheelchair w cerebral palsy?! And this is what his acolytes consider "alpha"
?!

He's literally Man of the Year in Iceland, he chose to pay the maximum in tax so as to give back to the community as much as possible, he has subsequently spent much of his own money paying for accessibility options all over Iceland. His wife and children both know and love him because he spends time with them.

He is the Anti-Musk, because he is kind, intelligent, thoughtful and humorous.

Things Musk is utterly incapable of understanding or expressing.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Dude has the soul of a poster

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lmfao Halli is my new hero

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

priznat posted:

The aggravating thing is that despite being the stupidest rear end in a top hat online he still won’t face any real repercussions and the people he wronged (like this dude) will have to expend a lot of effort to see any kind of justice or recompense whatsoever (and it will still not be enough).

yeah the degree of poo poo he's been able to get away with so far is mind boggling, like just not paying millions of dollars in rent.

tho i also suspect other billionaires get away with similar poo poo all the time, they just aren't addicted to posting and public humiliation so we don't see much of it

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Is it possible to goldmine a tweet?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Earwicker posted:

yeah the degree of poo poo he's been able to get away with so far is mind boggling, like just not paying millions of dollars in rent.

tho i also suspect other billionaires get away with similar poo poo all the time, they just aren't addicted to posting and public humiliation so we don't see much of it

yeah 100%. If anything they gotta be kinda like "stfu elon, drat" because his stupid poo poo is really good at calling attention to how bad and imbalanced things are.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Watch him get suspended or banned for that tweet.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

kazil posted:

lmfao Halli is my new hero

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Binary Logic posted:

?!

They're shithead bullies that think sincerity and kindness are weakness. So yeah of course they think it's awesome to bully a person for being disabled and think it's a great business move to try to breach contract on the basis of "I don't like you".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He’s also a better poster than Musk, truly tragic

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Good word

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Get that man a forums account

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean, so are you. So am I. It's not exactly a high bar.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Every single employment, and disability lawyer, got a huge erection today

I gotta wonder what Icelandic defamation laws are like, too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmaoooooooooo

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Is there anyway we can put that guy in charge of Twitter. gently caress it, he seems like he'd be a good President of Earth at this point.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Iceland seems like the kind of country that would just collectively decide to antagonize Elon if he tries to ignore any of the potential upcoming legal issues.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Piss Creep posted:

What is the next tactic.

goatface posted:

Pitchforks and flaming torches.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"from what I've been told" doing a lot of loving work there

And if anything it just makes this whole saga worse, because he's basically admitting that he decided to treat an employee like poo poo, in public, based on nothing more than hearsay.

Also, it's probably less "what I've been told" and more "what I heard when they said something else."

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Teratrain posted:

Iceland seems like the kind of country that would just collectively decide to antagonize Elon if he tries to ignore any of the potential upcoming legal issues.

They jailed all the bankers during the financial crisis, so they don't gently caress about

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

"Your honor the plaintiff posted a video of a man slapping a donkey, this means he is a paedophile, and thus I am 100% not owned"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Teratrain posted:

Yeah, its a small enough community that its likely the guy is either related to, or friends with people with significant political power.

I'm Irish, and while our population is a lot bigger than Icelands, I can directly communicate with a senator, our president, and several members of parliament just because I know them from around the place. I'm not saying they will do anything I ask of them, but I can definitely make dumb jokes at a sitting senator and the president.
He really is a nice aul chap, and is genuinely committed to Irish art and culture.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Checked Halli's pre-smackdown tweets and the man loving rules. It's full of cats, kindness, inclusivity, he's a solid human being yet somehow also a gigachad poster. Elon is so hosed.

Meanwhile, more reasons why I block Blue subscribers on sight because dear god Musk stans are vile.

https://twitter.com/beijingpalmer/status/1633202130629582848?s=61&t=lCUtLD2mloWN4vLs8kjQ2w

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pookah posted:

Yeah, its a small enough community that its likely the guy is either related to, or friends with people with significant political power.

I'm Irish, and while our population is a lot bigger than Icelands, I can directly communicate with a senator, our president, and several members of parliament just because I know them from around the place. I'm not saying they will do anything I ask of them, but I can definitely make dumb jokes at a sitting senator and the president.
He really is a nice aul chap, and is genuinely committed to Irish art and culture.

It's Always Sunny missed a golden opportunity to have Frank Reynolds and the Irish president together in an episode

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pookah posted:

I've always liked Higgins since I heard this exchange
https://youtu.be/WwvMNkCruGw

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Parkingtigers posted:

Checked Halli's pre-smackdown tweets and the man loving rules. It's full of cats, kindness, inclusivity, he's a solid human being yet somehow also a gigachad poster. Elon is so hosed.

He's a rich person who is also a good human being. It's like finding a loving leprechaun or unicorn.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

CharlestheHammer posted:

to be fair, an overripe pomegrenate has better posts than Musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

armpit_enjoyer posted: