Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wasn't it a manned spy satellite that crashed in that ENT episode? Would be weird that they completely abandon the project, considering that they saw evidence that we are just about to start dicking around in our own solar system.

EDIT: But yeah, in First Contact they needed that one ship to see Cochrane jump into warp so that at least the official first contact happens as it originally did, and to keep the timeline from imploding.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Vulcan ship was named the T'Plana-Hath, after a famous and renowned Vulcan philosopher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Wasn't it a manned spy satellite that crashed in that ENT episode? Would be weird that they completely abandon the project, considering that they saw evidence that we are just about to start dicking around in our own solar system.

No, that was a survey ship too. The Vulcans did a swingby of the solar system and saw Sputnik in orbit and so sent a ship to do a checkup survey, see where everything was at. Ship had a malfunction and crashed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 7, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God you know they just loving roasted Sputnik too.

"Scans indicate is is a little beeping failship, to entertain this planet of morons, no doubt."

"Perhaps it is their music"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Good thing they didn't see Sputnik II, that would've been awkward. "We're picking up their new craft, it seems to be a... slowly cooking dead dog."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Perhaps it is their food"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

The Prime D.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Do you think Temporal Investigations ever questioned Spock about why Sputnik sounded just like him?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Started watching series 2 of TOS in order of production and it's insanity right off the bat. All powerful aliens, hysterical women throwing themselves at Kirk, Spock being a cynical rear end in a top hat and Chekhov finally shows up but with hair that looks like a wig. I wonder what mad adventures await!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Meatgrinder posted:

Started watching series 2 of TOS in order of production and it's insanity right off the bat. All powerful aliens, hysterical women throwing themselves at Kirk, Spock being a cynical rear end in a top hat and Chekhov finally shows up but with hair that looks like a wig. I wonder what mad adventures await!

That wig exists because Monkees was a thing back then and they wanted to get on the fan merch bandwagon.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Good thing they didn't see Sputnik II, that would've been awkward. "We're picking up their new craft, it seems to be a... slowly cooking dead dog."

Space Program B, who intitially demonstrate less success, has recently tested a recoverable vehicle. Technological assessment indicates that they may attempt further flight with small primates, although the craft could carry one of their young. The intentions of program B are unclear at this time.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It’s been forever since I saw First Contact, but why didn’t the Borg Sphere just crash to earth and start a mass assimilation of Earth’s populace, with a special focus on Bozeman, MT? Hell, they wouldn’t even need to crash; they could transport through their shields while the Enterprise security teams (which wouldn’t be up to the job of repelling them anyway) couldn’t beam out in combat.

Was there some treknobabble why they couldn’t/didn’t?

I’m assuming because it was a small ship, a veritable captain’s launch, the Borg Sphere couldn’t have outraced the Enterprise to Vulcan and started the assimilation program there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They blow it the gently caress up with quantum torpedos once it starts shooting at Bozeman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Lf3rOJYE0&t=247s

And I think the borg encountered in ENT are from sphere debris, is that correct?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Admiralty Flag posted:

It’s been forever since I saw First Contact, but why didn’t the Borg Sphere just crash to earth and start a mass assimilation of Earth’s populace, with a special focus on Bozeman, MT? Hell, they wouldn’t even need to crash; they could transport through their shields while the Enterprise security teams (which wouldn’t be up to the job of repelling them anyway) couldn’t beam out in combat.

Was there some treknobabble why they couldn’t/didn’t?

I’m assuming because it was a small ship, a veritable captain’s launch, the Borg Sphere couldn’t have outraced the Enterprise to Vulcan and started the assimilation program there.

It probably is what they did. earth gets briefly Borged before the Enterprise follows the sphere through the time portal and saves the day retroactively.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is funny that all their super advanced future weapons are vastly less destructive than even the tinest nuke ever devised. The Borg get off a good few shots on target and it doesn't seem to cause more damage than a gas explosion?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

They blow it the gently caress up with quantum torpedos once it starts shooting at Bozeman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Lf3rOJYE0&t=247s

And I think the borg encountered in ENT are from sphere debris, is that correct?

Yes, the Borg encountered on Enterprise are from a fragment of the sphere that landed in either Antarctica or the Arctic which then froze and were accidentally revived when a research team discovered them. When the NX-01 takes them out, that (hopefully) severs the last thread of First Contact's Borg threat.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Tribunal DS9: Cardassia is looking more fascistic than ever even if you can feel the budget in this episode. The B-plot isn't interesting and the episode ends anti-climatically. Is this the first time a female Cardassian has been on screen?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DoubleCakes posted:

Tribunal DS9: Cardassia is looking more fascistic than ever even if you can feel the budget in this episode. The B-plot isn't interesting and the episode ends anti-climatically. Is this the first time a female Cardassian has been on screen?

we see female cardassians in (lol) "cardassians", but they're not adults, and iirc there's nothing to establish them as explicitly female anyway. you might be right

i think "tribunal" is an excellent episode, it's pretty well written i think, but there isn't really a B-plot, imo. there's boone setting up o'brien, but he's revealed to be a cardassian spy, not a maquis, so it's in service to the broader A-plot

...i guess you could say o'brien's vacation is the B-plot, but that's also basically just a plot device to give the cardassians an opportunity to capture him off of the station. what are you referencing specifically?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DoubleCakes posted:

In TNG's The Chase, the Cardassian commander is a woman

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

V-Men posted:

Season1 is rough, what with the raider fighters exploding into perfect triangles. But I'd say the later seasons stand up fairly well.

I think I look back more kindly on B5 relative to the Trek of the time despite the low detail models because it had ships in numbers, things could actually take visible damage or easily be destroyed, and ships could *move*.

Star Trek had very nice physical models but was a bust on basically every other level, the choreography was practically non-existent (TOS level "ship model hanging from string" stuff) and it was an Event if you saw more than two ships together at once.

(when things changed during DS9 the trade off seemed to be that shields stopped being a thing they ever bothered animating)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlamingLiberal posted:

ah yeah, that aired a year before. good catch

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Don’t even try to look at logic in First Contact: the movie makes the Borg monumentally stupid even before the loving Queen is introduced.

Like why wouldn’t they initiate time travel like, in their own space and then fly to Earth then with no defenses? Why wouldn’t they just go back in time and with their current knowledge of assimilated future civilizations and just conquer the galaxy before anything else arose?

Why do holographic bullets or Worf’s knife work on Borg that have advanced shielding that adapts to… gently caress nevermind

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

jeeves posted:

Don’t even try to look at logic in First Contact: the movie makes the Borg monumentally stupid even before the loving Queen is introduced.

Like why wouldn’t they initiate time travel like, in their own space and then fly to Earth then with no defenses? Why wouldn’t they just go back in time and with their current knowledge of assimilated future civilizations and just conquer the galaxy before anything else arose?

Why do holographic bullets or Worf’s knife work on Borg that have advanced shielding that adapts to… gently caress nevermind
You can handwave some of that with the idea that they believed that they could succeed without time travel and that time travel was plan B

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jeeves posted:

:pseudo: the advanced shielding is energy shields that block specific frequencies. So a phaser puts its energy in some specific frequency and they block that. An impulse (like hitting someone over the head with a hammer) by definition has equal energy at every frequency - making it impossible for shields that defend against specific frequencies to provide protection against it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

FlamingLiberal posted:

You can handwave some of that with the idea that they believed that they could succeed without time travel and that time travel was plan B

Yeah but if you have time travel then why not use time travel as your plan A all the time

I think the best possible head canon is to just extend year of hell's butterfly logic to first contact. Everything has collateral consequences so a sphere dropping out directly above Earth and going to that particular point results in the most optimized future for the Borg. Everything else fucks the future up for the Borg in ways you can't imagine because you're not a super sexy smart Borg queen

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Seemlar posted:

I think I look back more kindly on B5 relative to the Trek of the time despite the low detail models because it had ships in numbers, things could actually take visible damage or easily be destroyed, and ships could *move*.

The motion was the thing for B5, the choreography of the space scenes was superb. All I want for a remaster is just tweak the models and textures, but leave the animation alone !

Kinda like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgWXhuDG_E

At least some of the original 3d assets are in the wild.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

jeeves posted:

lol you're completely right, the premise of the movie doesn't make sense, buuut

Tunicate posted:

:pseudo: the advanced shielding is energy shields that block specific frequencies. So a phaser puts its energy in some specific frequency and they block that. An impulse (like hitting someone over the head with a hammer) by definition has equal energy at every frequency - making it impossible for shields that defend against specific frequencies to provide protection against it

i mean, even if this is a stretch (and i think that's probably right, honestly), the idea that their shields would deflect something like blunt force trauma is also negated by data being able to manhandle a borg or for worf to he able to pull out their tubes. it's an energy shield for energy weapons, not a literal bubble

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

We can tell she’s a woman because she has blue eyeshadow in her forehead fingerprint.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

The motion was the thing for B5, the choreography of the space scenes was superb. All I want for a remaster is just tweak the models and textures, but leave the animation alone !

Kinda like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgWXhuDG_E

At least some of the original 3d assets are in the wild.

They did do an HD update. It’s on HBO Max. It’s how I’ve been watching the series and the scenes they could remaster are excellent. Sadly several critical scenes involving actors on green screen over CGI (BIG B5 SPOILERS an example being kosh saving Sheridan from the bombing) weren’t able to be updated and just look terrible.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Dignity posted:

It is funny that all their super advanced future weapons are vastly less destructive than even the tinest nuke ever devised. The Borg get off a good few shots on target and it doesn't seem to cause more damage than a gas explosion?

This is the single biggest thing in all of scifi that drives me loving crazy. It doesn't matter what series it is, no one ever actually has their anti-spacecraft weapons actually do any damage to non-spacecraft. You get an X-Wing strafing some stormtroopers and it is moderately more devastating than someone sweeping over with a 30mm cannon in WWII. But when that same weapon hits a starfighter? You get an explosion that would be evaporating dudes and leveling buildings.

Nope, the Borg are raining down explosions less destructive than an RPG. If they had a single photon torpedo, they could level Rhode Island.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arivia posted:

They did do an HD update. It’s on HBO Max. It’s how I’ve been watching the series and the scenes they could remaster are excellent. Sadly several critical scenes involving actors on green screen over CGI (BIG B5 SPOILERS an example being kosh saving Sheridan from the bombing) weren’t able to be updated and just look terrible.

Was on HBO. It's on Tubi and Roku now. Looks like it's also the remastered version, https://cordcuttersnews.com/remastered-babylon-5-is-coming-to-the-roku-channel-tubi-after-leaving-hbo-max/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah, the borg attack in first contact doesn't make any sense. why wouldn't they just beam down a hundred borg drones and assimilate the whole compound? why even bother with that, anyway, when they could obliterate the place from orbit with one shot?

i guess there's a chance that there would be survivors and the underground phoenix might survive a bombardment, but we're talking about the loving borg here, i think they'd be able to figure something out

(of course the actual answer is that they wanted to do a zombie flick on the enterprise-E, but still)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Was on HBO. It's on Tubi and Roku now. Looks like it's also the remastered version, https://cordcuttersnews.com/remastered-babylon-5-is-coming-to-the-roku-channel-tubi-after-leaving-hbo-max/

Either way as someone who didn’t see it back in the day but grew up watching tons of 90s tv CGI, it’s an excellent experience I’d recommend to others wholeheartedly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

This is the single biggest thing in all of scifi that drives me loving crazy. It doesn't matter what series it is, no one ever actually has their anti-spacecraft weapons actually do any damage to non-spacecraft.

Hey there was that one TOS episode where they set the ship phasers to 'stun' and took out a whole city

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, the borg attack in first contact doesn't make any sense. why wouldn't they just beam down a hundred borg drones and assimilate the whole compound?

Not enough car batteries around for them to eat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

i guess there's a chance that there would be survivors and the underground phoenix might survive a bombardment, but we're talking about the loving borg here, i think they'd be able to figure something out

I mean as Sash! pointed out, with the weapons available to a borg, there really shouldn't be any chance of surviving even underground. Photon torpedoes and such are technically many times more powerful than the most powerful nuke ever tested. They knew where the phoenix was, and they should of been able to crater the place and a massive amount of the surrounding area. There are a lot of hand waves around why they didn't. Big one is if there is a vulcan ship near by they didn't want noticing them, than perhaps being a bit more subtle makes sense. But yeah certainly felt like the borg shouldn't of even had the slightest issue with it.

Beeftweeter posted:

(of course the actual answer is that they wanted to do a zombie flick on the enterprise-E, but still)

But yeah it's obviously this. Star Trek weapons are always going to be exactly as powerful as the plot needs them to be.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

dr_rat posted:

But yeah it's obviously this. Star Trek weapons are always going to be exactly as powerful as the plot needs them to be.

Honestly I'm fine with that since that got our cool zombie flick on the Enterprise-E, complete with Picard shooting borg drones with a tommy gun and breaking his little ships

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly I'm fine with that since that got our cool zombie flick on the Enterprise-E, complete with Picard shooting borg drones with a tommy gun and breaking his little ships

Same. I really don't need some tom clancey'esq five minute scene of detailing of what exact weapons are doing what, including graphs and powerpoint. A vague consistency is nice, but as long as the story is good I'm more than willing to ignore a whole bunch (and if the stories really good I'm probably not going to notice to much in the first place to be honest).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

jeeves posted:

The issue is even more fundamental than these valid points.

The Borg are about assimilating technology and knowledge, not just bodies. They aren't supposed to just be zombies.

By going back in time and assimilating Earth before the Federation even forms, they're ensuring all that sweet sweet technology the Federation would eventually lead to developing will never exist...for them to assimilate.

It makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aoi posted:

The issue is even more fundamental than these valid points.

The Borg are about assimilating technology and knowledge, not just bodies. They aren't supposed to just be zombies.

By going back in time and assimilating Earth before the Federation even forms, they're ensuring all that sweet sweet technology the Federation would eventually lead to developing will never exist...for them to assimilate.

It makes no sense.

We only know the endstage was borgworld, maybe their plan was to link up with the main borgmind, plant some borg seeds, and then suddenly have them activate and assimilate planet Earth shortly after they got Locutus.