Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I found the Sunday friend's pamphlet

https://twitter.com/clemfon/status/1632753335714344967?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Serious talk: I've met Sunday Friends irl. The character is not a caricature. It's just how creepy EU is when you're in a pertepual candidate country on their perifery.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Those two cartoon characters look like they’re about to murder a homeless person for fun

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

my dad posted:

Serious talk: I've met Sunday Friends irl. The character is not a caricature. It's just how creepy EU is when you're in a pertepual candidate country on their perifery.

I don't think anyone who's paid attention to politics for long enough thinks the Sunday Friend is a caricature. That dude is everywhere.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
One of my high school classmates has become a Sunday Friend.

Last we spoke when we had the same uni class her ambition was to become head of the World Bank. She has since gone on to work for the Dutch central bank and the Fed.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Disco Elysium is all about "bad people who aren't so bad deep down," but I will always go to bat that Sunday Friend, the colonialist, gentrifying sex tourist, is one of the most evil characters in the game. Just a vile person inside and out.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think the fact that the game doesn't even attempt to humanize him makes it clear that its creators agree with you.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

prayer group posted:

I think the fact that the game doesn't even attempt to humanize him makes it clear that its creators agree with you.

Extremely so. The game is very explicit about it. There is far more due considerations to the reactionaries and fash characters in the sense they are tragic or simply ridiculous figures and are given proper treatment as such (even if it’s just to laugh at them like Gary).

Sunday Friend is thoroughly savaged, his own text purposefully mocks him. The man has the spiritual constitution of wet cardboard - there’s the damning implication of the subtext that even with his means he can’t even bother to take “Martin” (the smoker on the balcony) elsewhere to enjoy themselves. Which says a lot about the character and people like him even before he opens his mouth.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Youremother posted:

Disco Elysium is all about "bad people who aren't so bad deep down," but I will always go to bat that Sunday Friend, the colonialist, gentrifying sex tourist, is one of the most evil characters in the game. Just a vile person inside and out.

I don't see you getting a lot of pushback on that, I agree with you and from what I've seen the game does do. Disco Elysium is game that's really good about giving its characters moral complexities. Everyone is flawed, but everyone has something that humanizes them as well. Except for the Sunday Friend whom the game pretty much directly says "This dude is bad, the things he's trying to do are bad, and the reason he's doing them are bad."

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

My next controversial opinion will be that Kortenaer should not have killed all those people. Just my two cents.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't think anyone who's paid attention to politics for long enough thinks the Sunday Friend is a caricature. That dude is everywhere.

The way he says "super" is so on point for a benelux bureaucrat that Sunday Friend has to be based on one or more real people

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Help, stuck in the Tribunal section of the game:
I refused to give Gaenor any more of my money after he kept asking for more and more and now he's come back in a full set of Ebony armor and just keeps killing me every time I try to enter the palace now. I'd go elsewhere by the sewers are full of goblins that just keep killing me too so I seem to be stuck :(

A shame too as I was having so much fun with everything else that has happened so far. I completed the ultraliberal spirit quest and became head of House Hlaalu and I think I've pieced together that the woman from Harry's dreams is probably his ex-wife, Azura. But I guess I'll have to start again with a stronger build or somehow unlock the power of CHIM Kitsuragi, whatever that means.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The solution in both games here is to start drinking gigantic amounts of alcohol. It never fails.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm finally getting the momentum to stick with this game after having gotten about 90% through with my partner on our first playthrough.

Communist hobo apocalyptic cop is bout to tear this poo poo UP.

I'm kinda glad I waited for a long time after my first 90% run, I remember vague bits and the general storyline but anything specific I don't remember, so I can still be amazed by the absurdity.

Might just start a completely different run right after this one and go read weird with it, now I'm maybe at 50-60% weirdness.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Is it possible to actually follow Kim's request of using "your unconventional approach" for the Joyce conversation? He always gets mad at me when I haven't even agreed to help Joyce with the drug trafficking Maybe I'm just clicking through to quickly and missing something?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Youremother posted:

Sunday Friend is helping me stabilize the price of my bread. :buddy:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Is it possible to actually follow Kim's request of using "your unconventional approach" for the Joyce conversation? He always gets mad at me when I haven't even agreed to help Joyce with the drug trafficking Maybe I'm just clicking through to quickly and missing something?

You can destabilize her with your unconventional approach, but not while he's there unfortunately.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
But at what cost?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Youremother posted:

My next controversial opinion will be that Kortenaer should not have killed all those people. Just my two cents.

Even the mercenaries have some history, some explanation as to why they became monsters. Even the merc leader has the flimsy excuse that his brother is dead, so he's going to kill everyone in town until someone kills him.

Sunday Friend doesn't even have that.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 8, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Never Forget:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SF did allow himself to be interviewed about the case when he could've just hosed off. There's a heart in their somewhere.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

SF did allow himself to be interviewed about the case when he could've just hosed off. There's a heart in their somewhere.

A hollow heart, begging for a bullet as he stands against a wall.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Gaius Marius posted:

that was all about keeping le price stabilite tho

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

The way he says "super" is so on point for a benelux bureaucrat that Sunday Friend has to be based on one or more real people

I always thought he kinda looks like Jean-Claude Juncker but with longer hair:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 8, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Zeniel posted:

Help, stuck in the Tribunal section of the game:
I refused to give Gaenor any more of my money after he kept asking for more and more and now he's come back in a full set of Ebony armor and just keeps killing me every time I try to enter the palace now. I'd go elsewhere by the sewers are full of goblins that just keep killing me too so I seem to be stuck :(

A shame too as I was having so much fun with everything else that has happened so far. I completed the ultraliberal spirit quest and became head of House Hlaalu and I think I've pieced together that the woman from Harry's dreams is probably his ex-wife, Azura. But I guess I'll have to start again with a stronger build or somehow unlock the power of CHIM Kitsuragi, whatever that means.

I understood this joke. Well done.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AceOfFlames posted:

I always thought he kinda looks like Jean-Claude Juncker but with longer hair:

He's not based on any one specific individual, they just all come from the same mold.

Same way Harry isn't based on any one specific cop, he represents the platonic ideal of the Divorced Cop.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Youremother posted:

Well, "people".

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I get why they didn't get silly with it, but I could have used a little more drug variety. I need more than speed and cigarettes to properly get my bad lieutenant on, you know?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Randallteal posted:

I get why they didn't get silly with it, but I could have used a little more drug variety. I need more than speed and cigarettes to properly get my bad lieutenant on, you know?
Did you miss out on alcohol and pyrholidon :confused:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm actually disappointed there isn't a way to get your hands on some of that royal cocaine

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Dolores Dei didn't give a drat about price stability.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm actually disappointed there isn't a way to get your hands on some of that royal cocaine

Should have been a stash hidden away with Rene's things. Not something he uses but a keepsake from his war hero days, a symbol of honor and duty.

[Electrochemistry]: Honor Rene by getting all that sweet coke up your nose, it's your duty, officer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SixFigureSandwich posted:

You and me both, the second I heard that story I immediately googled "Disco Elysium how to get cocaine skull" to find out of it was a real quest I could start. Sadly, it is not, but you know what they say "The thing about desire is that it's stronger when it's not totally satisfied".

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Dolores Dei didn't give a drat about price stability.

Dolores Dei is great because at first she just seems like a generic stand in for a religious icon, then you learn more about her in game and discover "Oh, she was actually a real person and she killed a LOT of people and she was probably insane because she intentionally used this world destroying substance called "the pale" to see the future and that stuff stuck around inside her body and made her lungs glow".

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Dolores Dei is great because at first she just seems like a generic stand in for a religious icon, then you learn more about her in game and discover "Oh, she was actually a real person and she killed a LOT of people and she was probably insane because she intentionally used this world destroying substance called "the pale" to see the future and that stuff stuck around inside her body and made her lungs glow".
Yeah, she was amazing and got taken from the world too soon. Sunday Friend is an insult to her memory.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Sunday Friend is a foot soldier in the apparatus that Dolores Dei turbocharged

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the problems with humanism are bad, but their causes.... their causes are very good

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Doing a cheat run and I am delighted with all the extra skill interactions. I think Espirit De Corps is one of my favorite skills, all the little cop stories it tells you really add a lot of flavor and its awesome.

I asked Kim for a secret the eyebrow showdown was fantastic!

There really is just something about this game I can't get over it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He's not based on any one specific individual, they just all come from the same mold.

Same way Harry isn't based on any one specific cop, he represents the platonic ideal of the Divorced Cop.

Hang on, Harry didn't kill Dora.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I said Divorced Cop, not Default Cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

i am a moron posted:

Sunday Friend is a foot soldier in the apparatus that Dolores Dei turbocharged

Dolores Dei was just continuing the progress of history. It was Sola’s cowardice that condemned the world to death.

The Deserter was not wrong when he said, “The material base for an uprising has eroded, the working class has betrayed mankind and themselves.”