Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

steinrokkan posted:

Not another CoLoR rEvOlUtIoN
What's the only color revolution tankies can get behind?

The same color as Putin's morning dump: red-brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
do we have any poles in here? I stopped by the beer store and wanted to try some new beer so I got a couple pint bottles of Okocim based solely on their slogan "O.K. Beer", it's p good IMO. Kurwa!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Comstar posted:

Is that because the Russian tanks are pretty much stationary?

Russian tank warfare hasn't changed much since gorzny v1.

Run up in a line the. Try to space out at the contact line. If you blow up the front tank and the rear tank the tanks end up crunching into each other trying to all move out into a line. Some go forward some try to go back etc there isn't much coordination. Russia has never had a great and vast NCO corp to make soldiers not idiots. All of these issues are part that and also part of being an army under a paranoid authoritarian State.

Success is hampered by fear of backstabbing and jealousy.

Tank warfare requires strong command and control and a lot of field ingenuity based on local areas topography ala best placement, best location for attack, synchronized infantry assaults to give tanks breathing room. As well as strike craft and now drone Intel.

Combine arms warfare is NOT for an army with no ncos to speak of.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1633239944633229313
:krad:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I know the city took a beating but I'm still somewhat surprised it took this long, since Russia retreated months back.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cicero posted:

I know the city took a beating but I'm still somewhat surprised it took this long, since Russia retreated months back.

Kharkiv is very close to the border with Russia, Belgorod is only 80km away

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Noel's update is longer today. Here's the OP and some maps
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1633241721415794688?t=CNY6NSVSLk-hHKwsO04Itg&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1633241755746291712?t=W-tYsl35caAQ7xsmEYlelA&s=19

And some prisoners came home!
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1633135428894183427?t=8BRZPhY0u6Lt82lBCCrtsA&s=19

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roblo posted:

Brave bastard. His name is going to get remembered.

Cool. what is it

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1633075716760690689

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Brits wish they had squirrel. Now they're so broke they are eating fish 'n chips without the fish. Just the chips. And no that's not hyperbole. Brexit really hosed over fishing hard.

not even the chips! They're eating scraps! The leftover part of the deep fried batter at the end

who has no potato now?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

do we have any poles in here? I stopped by the beer store and wanted to try some new beer so I got a couple pint bottles of Okocim based solely on their slogan "O.K. Beer", it's p good IMO. Kurwa!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1633187365299662848
A thread detailing what appears to be the utter collapse of Russian military logistics. Not even Good Soldier Svejk could have anticipated a performance this pathetic, apparently many poor mobiks are being labeled deserters because they can hardly find the units they're being appointed to.

Go home idiots

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

some plague rats posted:

Cool. what is it

"Tymofiy Shadura"

https://news.yahoo.com/details-life-tymofiy-shadura-shot-152500664.html

actually thats wrong: "Oleksandr Matsievsky"

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1633745091054432256

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 10, 2023

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Icochet posted:

Go home idiots

Run in any direction and you are likely going to do better than what the army admin has in plan for you.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
By the way, in response to 'negotiations ends wars, not weapons', I dunno, maybe someone could tell Russia that. I mean, in reply to negotiations they tried to attack Kyiv directly and assassinate the Ukrainian government. So it sounds like they're the ones intending on using weapons to end the war.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

This is the most Gen-X thing to ever exist. It oozes 1993 Seattle grunge scene (I live here)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

For all the Nordstream chat, if they wanted to keep using it, couldn’t they just, like, repair it?

In the day somebody explained that when there's such a catastrophic breach and the whole pipe is infiltrated with sea water for any amount of time, it pretty much requires a complete rebuild.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

For all the Nordstream chat, if they wanted to keep using it, couldn’t they just, like, repair it?

As I understand it the biggest issue with that is seawater ingress into the pipelines due to there being, yknow a giant gaping hole in them. As you can imagine the sea water causes major corrosive damage so the sections of pipe that were affected need to be replaced.

As far as how long the affected sections are, I don't know. I don't know if there are any shutoff valves and at what intervals they're situated. Maybe the entire pipeline is affected and it all needs to be replaced?

The Russians have a pipe laying vessel (Fortuna) and a pipe production plant in Chelyabinsk so they might be able to do a lot of the work themselves, but remember that Nord Stream is a large part made using western technology, which they've lost access to. So they very likely won't be able to without outside help.

Also, if you remember when Russia was still using """Maintenance""" of NS1 as an excuse to blackmail Germany into opening NS2 by starving them of gas, they had a whole bit about a compressor that they couldn't get due to sanctions. You know, the compressor that was made by German company Siemens and was being serviced in Canada. My point being that they simply don't have the required domestic capability to support the pipelines.

As long as there are sanctions, they can't do anything to fix NS. And even if by some miracle they were to be lifted, Germany isn't ever trusting Russia with their energy security ever again, so Nord stream is dead and buried.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The bigger issue is that once the pressurization is lost at the depth the pipeline is running, it's hosed. When there's no gas flowing through they pump through pressurized methane to keep the water pressure from imploding the pipes. Blowing up the pipe understandably doesn't do much to help pressure implosion.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
More to the point: Why repair it if nobody is going to buy the gas? At least not any time soon.

I think up until mid last year Russia probably could have withdrawn and relations would have returned to something like they were before the invasion.

That's not happening now.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A history of the strategic value of Bakhmut

24 January 2023 - "US and Western officials"

quote:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics/ukraine-shift-tactics-bakhmut/index.html

The US and its allies want Ukraine to change its battlefield tactics in the spring
By Natasha Bertrand, Alex Marquardt and Katie Bo Lillis, CNN
Updated 8:18 AM EST, Tue January 24, 2023

Now, ahead of what is widely expected to be a brutal spring of fighting, there is a tactical opening, US and Western officials say. In recent weeks they have begun suggesting that Ukrainian forces cut their losses in Bakhmut, which they argue has little strategic significance for Ukraine, and focus instead on planning an offensive in the south.

7 February 2023 - Yehor Cherniev, a Ukrainian lawmaker and head of the Ukrainian delegation to the NATO parliamentary assembly

quote:

https://time.com/6253515/bakhmut-battle-ukraine-russia/

Why Russia Is So Determined To Capture Bakhmut
BY YASMEEN SERHAN AND TARA LAW
FEBRUARY 7, 2023 1:03 PM EST

Yehor Cherniev, a Ukrainian lawmaker and head of the Ukrainian delegation to the NATO parliamentary assembly, tells TIME that although Bakhmut “is not of strategic importance” to Kyiv, they will nonetheless “try to hold it as long as possible.”

4 March 2023 - U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin

quote:

https://www.voanews.com/a/us-defense-chief-says-ukraine-s-bakhmut-has-more-symbolic-than-strategic-value/6991380.html

US Defense Chief: Ukraine's Bakhmut Is Symbolic Rather Than Strategic
March 06, 2023 6:06 AM
UPDATE March 06, 2023 12:54 PM

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Monday if Russian troops manage to seize control of the eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut, that would not represent a decisive shift in the conflict.

"I think it is more of a symbolic value than it is strategic and operational value," Austin told reporters during a visit to Jordan.

6 March 2023 - "Analysts"

quote:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/ukraine-vows-to-hold-bakhmut-as-russia-continues-fight-to-capture-the-city
Updated on Mar 6, 2023 12:50 PM EST
Published on Mar 6, 2023 9:32 AM EST

Ukraine vows to hold Bakhmut as Russia continues fight to capture the city

Russian forces that invaded Ukraine just over a year ago have been unable to deliver a knockout blow that would allow them to seize Bakhmut. Analysts say it does not have major strategic value and that its capture would be unlikely to serve as a turning point in the conflict.

7 March 2023 - "Analysts"

quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/03/03/bakhmut-battle-ukraine-russia/
By Claire Parker
Updated March 7, 2023 at 1:57 p.m. EST
Published March 3, 2023 at 11:33 a.m. EST

Before the war, Bakhmut was mostly known as a center of the salt industry. But the relentless, intensifying fight for control of the city — which analysts say holds little strategic importance — has made it a rallying cry and political battleground for both sides.

7 March 2023 - "Military experts and close watchers of the Ukrainian battlefields"

quote:

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-war-bakhmut-significance/32307329.html

If Bakhmut Falls: What The Battle For A City Of Little Military Significance Means For The Ukraine War
By Mike Eckel
March 07, 2023 17:47 GMT

For military experts and close watchers of the Ukrainian battlefields, Bakhmut's symbolic importance far outweighs its strategic importance. Straddling the Bakhmutka River, just 20 kilometers west of the Luhansk region administrative border, the city, with a prewar population of around 70,000, used to be known mostly for its sparkling wines and salt mines.

7 March 2023 - "Analysts"

quote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64864496

Ukraine war: Bakhmut defenders double down - Zelensky
7 March 2023

Analysts say Bakhmut has little strategic value, but has become a focal point for Russian commanders who have struggled to deliver any positive news to the Kremlin.

7 March 2023 - Institute for the Study of War

quote:

https://www.euronews.com/2023/03/07/ukraine-to-continue-fight-for-bakhmut-as-russian-troops-struggle-to-make-gains

Ukraine to continue fight for Bakhmut as Russian troops struggle to make gains
By Oleksandra Vakulina
Updated: 07/03/2023 - 18:00

However, the Institute for the Study of War said that Bakhmut is not intrinsically significant - operationally or strategically.

7 March 2023 - President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky

quote:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/07/europe/ukraine-volodymyr-zelensky-cnn-interview-bakhmut-intl/index.html

Exclusive: Zelensky warns of ‘open road’ through Ukraine’s east if Russia captures Bakhmut, as he resists calls to retreat
By Rob Picheta, CNN
Updated 5:19 PM EST, Tue March 7, 2023

Russian troops will have “open road” to capture key cities in eastern Ukraine if they seize control of Bakhmut, President Volodymyr Zelensky warned in an interview with CNN, as he defended his decision to keep Ukrainian forces in the besieged city.

“This is tactical for us,” Zelensky said, insisting that Kyiv’s military brass is united in prolonging its defense of the city after weeks of Russian attacks left it on the cusp of falling to Moscow’s troops.

“We understand that after Bakhmut they could go further. They could go to Kramatorsk, they could go to Sloviansk, it would be open road for the Russians after Bakhmut to other towns in Ukraine, in the Donetsk direction,” he told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer in an exclusive interview from Kyiv. “That’s why our guys are standing there.”

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fixing the pipeline wouldn’t have been a huge deal when you take Europe’s industry into account. Destroying it is an empty gesture when there’s nothing dependent on it on the other side.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm not sure what you're suggesting fizzy, do you think something holds a static strategic value which doesn't change based on shifting factors?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/mr_gh0stly/status/1633185095237480449
Sure, and I'm the king of Rainbow Candyland. Czar Monke I has no claim, historical or otherwise, over one single inch of Ukraine or Crimea. Cope all you want about it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

when you're so Czarist you're Caesarist

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not sure what you're suggesting fizzy, do you think something holds a static strategic value which doesn't change based on shifting factors?

I'm suggesting that pundits, think-tanks and "analysts" and/or the papers that report their views, are not always reliable or dependable.

Do you think that the strategic value can change within the span of 1 week or 1 day from "little strategic importance" / "not intrinsically significant" to "Russian troops will have “open road” to capture key cities in eastern Ukraine if they seize control of Bakhmut"? The articles I quoted are not from pre-war or last year, they are from this year up to yesterday.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

fizzy posted:

I'm suggesting that pundits, think-tanks and "analysts" and/or the papers that report their views, are not always reliable or dependable.

Do you think that the strategic value can change within the span of 1 week or 1 day from "little strategic importance" / "not intrinsically significant" to "Russian troops will have “open road” to capture key cities in eastern Ukraine if they seize control of Bakhmut"? The articles I quoted are not from pre-war or last year, they are from this year up to yesterday.

Yes, I absolutely think that strategic value can change within the span of 1 week or 1 day. History, especially military history, is absolutely filled with examples of shifting strategic priorities based on conditions that arose on short or no notice

In this case though, the shifting strategic importance is one of political importance as well. IE, it didn't become important, until it did. It became important when it became a way to cause 5 Russian casualties for each Ukrainian and the value of Bakhmut shifted to exhausting the Russian offensive, which it has now done.

Military obfuscation was also at work. A good number of the articles you linked were intended and direct misdirection, I would say.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 8, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HonorableTB posted:

Yes, I absolutely think that strategic value can change within the span of 1 week or 1 day. History, especially military history, is absolutely filled with examples of shifting strategic priorities based on conditions that arose on short or no notice

That may be true, but in this case, the strategic value of Bakhmut (as elucidated by Zelensky) lies in its proximity and road connections to other cities in eastern Ukraine. That geographical location and those roads were not created or changed within the span of a week or a day.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Excuse me, Crimea actually belongs to Finland.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

fizzy posted:

That may be true, but in this case, the strategic value of Bakhmut (as elucidated by Zelensky) lies in its proximity and road connections to other cities in eastern Ukraine. That geographical location and those roads were not created or changed within the span of a week or a day.

Your point is valid for sure. The location and such didn't change. What changed in this case was Ukraine realizing the Russian military was willing to pay an utterly insane butcher's bill to take the city and the Ukrainian army seems to be more than happy to let them do that since it's also taking all of their strategic initiative out of the picture for this offensive. I also still believe that Bakhmut's value was artificially inflated to distract from a Ukrainian counteroffensive in Zaporizhzhia. Blowing up Bakhmut's value into something it isn't is a great way to get a whole bunch of Russian troops moving over there to try and take it, meaning they aren't in the south.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

fizzy posted:

I think Zelensky might have motivations to make statements that, say, would keep Russia slamming its dick in the car door regardless of whether he felt them to be literally true.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tiaz posted:

I think Zelensky might have motivations to make statements that, say, would keep Russia slamming its dick in the car door regardless of whether he felt them to be literally true.

That's an uncomfortable line of thinking, though, since it implies that other official statements about the state of the war may also be exaggerated or downplayed to lure or motivate Russia into taking sub-optimal actions. Inflate enemy casualty figures and downplay own-side casualty figures to demoralise the opponent and incentivise Ukraine's allies to keep up their arms supplies, exaggerate battlefield successes for the same purposes, and so on. Unfortunate implications all around. It's much more plausible that Zelensky is spitting straight facts and that pundits are generally just pulling words out of their rear end to fill article inches and get TV appearance invitations.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

fizzy posted:

That's an uncomfortable line of thinking, though, since it implies that other official statements about the state of the war may also be exaggerated or downplayed to lure or motivate Russia into taking sub-optimal actions. Inflate enemy casualty figures and downplay own-side casualty figures to demoralise the opponent and incentivise Ukraine's allies to keep up their arms supplies, exaggerate battlefield successes for the same purposes, and so on. Unfortunate implications all around. It's much more plausible that Zelensky is spitting straight facts and that pundits are generally just pulling words out of their rear end to fill article inches and get TV appearance invitations.

well ... I have bad news for you, buddy. I mean, I can't know what's in his heart. He does have to carefully husband the perception that he generally tells the truth. He's done that very well and I do think he's usually being honest, but in general Ukraine definitely foments a (to them) desirable perception for the purposes of demoralizing Russians, securing continued Western support, domestic stability, and so on.

Everyone does it. We do it all the time. To be clearer I'm not saying he's straight-up lying to you; HonorableTB's post was very good and maybe a less spicy way to put these things.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

fizzy posted:

That's an uncomfortable line of thinking, though, since it implies that other official statements about the state of the war may also be exaggerated or downplayed to lure or motivate Russia into taking sub-optimal actions.

Sorry to be blunt but I don't think anyone on either side is stupid enough to believe that everything Ukraine or Russia says through their leaders or media is being 100% earnest and honest all the time.

Is there some war you're thinking of where either side was above dishonesty?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I'd say, with my amateur understanding of the situation, that this is playing out something very similar to Severodonetsk from last year. After allowing the Russian offensive to culminate and overextend themselves, the Ukrainians counterattacked locally, inflicted heavy losses on the forces on that axis, particularly Kadyrov's gang of tiktokers, and only then retreated to other prepared positions, even though then as now they had to take quite a few losses themselves. This set up the correct conditions for what happened at Kharkiv later that year after they built up their men and weapons for that offensive.

Among the pro-Russian military sources, such as Girkin, Murz, etc. they also suggest that a very similar situation is taking place around Bakhmut and formerly near Soledar. Russia simply blinded itself to the bigger strategic picture because Monke and his boyars were looking for something to sell as a win to the Russian people, who haven't really had a whole lot of that to boast about for a while until poo poo went down near both these towns, which stems from the orders given to Gerasimov, Prigozhin, and Shoigu to drive to the administrative borders of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts by March 31 (a goal they've already failed, under the current circumstances.) Girkin himself complained, as did Prigozhin, that what was left of the best Wagner soldiers and core russian regular army units, especially the VDV, were currently suffering hideous casualties in terms of men and equipment. The mobiks have fared even worse. Operationally, according to this pair, the loss of any experienced soldiers or leadership in the assault units are often enough to force a retreat or complete failure of a group's objectives.

What's worse is that all the assaults that were supposed to improve Russian conditions along the front (Kreminna/Svatove, Kupiansk, Vuhledar, Marinka, and Avdiivka) have all failed to greater or lesser degrees, in some cases catastrophically, resulting in the loss again of a great deal of men and equipment, which further leads to the weakening of defensive lines elsewhere as men and materiel have to be brought up to replace those lost in the failed attacks. There was even mention yesterday, I think, of equipment and men being moved from the Kreminna grouping to try reinforcing the battered units of RuAF around Bakhmut, resulting in a slowdown of the local offensives there.

And finally, Murz mentioned, dripping completely with despair, that the new western trained and armed mechanized brigades of Ukraine would prove more than a match for those who were left after all the reserves that were meant for both attack and defense are being, or have been, lost in the futile, front-wide offensive attempts since the beginning of the year.

Andrey Morozov posted:

For 100+ years now, defense, when it exists and works, has been based on three things - experienced mid-level personnel, working communications that allow them to lead troops, that is, first of all, on communications personnel, on signalmen, and on artillery, that is, again, on experienced skilled gunners.

"What do I need sights, son!" (With)

In turn, an offensive operation consists of, conditionally, an "investment phase", when you incur losses, breaking through the enemy's defenses, if you, of course, break through it. Other things being equal, you incur losses, as a rule, much larger than the defending enemy, and the "phases of making a profit", when front breakthroughs are realized in rapidly collapsing boilers, in which the very frames remain, on which the enemy built everything that you broke through with such difficulty. Their death or captivity in the boiler - this is the main "income" of the operation. If the enemy has time to escape, to pull the troops out of the “cauldron”, even if he abandons heavy equipment, the results of the operation become doubtful, because you laid down your hard-to-renew resource in the form of people, and the enemy, having gutted your advancing units properly, dumped.

Who remembers, at the final stage of the capture of Lisichansk, I wrote in LiveJournal about this. "Valuable military experts of the enemy" will flee from there - the front will then stabilize for a long time in the Seversk region, because ours, exhausted by the battles for Severodonetsk, Lisichansk and other captured settlements, will collide with the enemy, who will have something to "sit down" to defend not only in terms of some then fortifications, but also in terms of communications and artillery.

What will the capture of Artyomovsk mean now? What the enemy considers the area's defensive potential to be exhausted. The command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine is not satisfied with the ratio of losses between attackers and defenders, and it is quite possible that it is already withdrawing the most valuable units, valuable personnel from the city, replacing them with mobs and "terodefense". The task of which surrogates is to let those who will continue to gut the next "stormers" leave, put themselves in order and take up new positions of new defensive lines.

II.

And then the Armed Forces of Ukraine will begin to use the reserves that they accumulated all the time while we spent our reserves, poorly trained and managed, in "assaults" on the front from Vugledar to Kremennaya.

All the time while the RF Armed Forces fought last summer, autumn and winter in a patchwork of RF Armed Forces, “leopards”, “Akhmats” and various PMCs, the Armed Forces of Ukraine learned to fully fight with “large battalions”, brigades, and then the corps that they are now creating in the rear and run in for the time that the defense of Artemovsk bought them.

The Russian Armed Forces broke their sharpest "tank wedges" at the very beginning of the war and during the "de-escalation", then diligently finished them off in smaller, but no less schizoid mass events. Already in the summer, the old T-72s were massively pulled from storage to the front, the reactivation of antique T-62s began, the "bald" early T-72s and T-80s, which came as replenishment to the tank units of the Republics, became commonplace. Of course, combat losses corresponded to the level of protection of the vehicles ...

However, it is not only the tanks that matter, and not in them in the first place, not in the hardware. The personnel on our side, who could still become a motorized rifle "shoulder" of these "tank wedges", were lost, worn down. Experienced scouts and sappers were lost on "assaults".

In general, the word "storm" has become an indulgence for any *slur edited*. The lack of normal reconnaissance, training, training of personnel, for any losses, including the loss of equipment. The continuation of "meat assaults" on the enemy's positions on a huge front by poorly trained troops in a situation of an acute shortage of artillery ammo for the sake of capturing Artyomovsk is a crime, the consequences of which we will soon face.

We will face when the Armed Forces of Ukraine introduce their trained units into battle, capable of working at a completely different level of speed and quality of decisions than ours. Fresh reserves capable of quickly breaking through the defenses and moving further into the breakthrough, bypassing and covering our units. Doing it quickly, maintaining secure, closed communications, and adequate real-time control.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Id like to see Russia absolutely go ape poo poo if finland claimed dynasty to the Roman Empire. It would be just so good..even jokingly. They'd go nuts. You'd see the Tsarism out on full display. Like you do with Russia's military investments.

Something I had said in the beginning of the war is that if we saw Russians digging trenches they have completely lost. I feel like that is more true than ever. Has Russia has had to solidify their defenses they've done so haphazardly with men that are completely and utterly shattered.

You have all the experienced people being sent into pointless assaults that result in their death and every single one of them is a brain drain on the Russian military. We talked a week or so ago. Right before the thread was closed, about colonels leading loving platoons. That's how stretched the Russian army is in terms of brain power.

Zone, what's interesting about your quote is the part where they say you can counter the pmcs with large brigade / regiments because those pmcs can't field unit of those size at an equal experience level. It's a few shepherd dogs (Wagner) to a ton of sheep. They have to herd then into these mass attacks. Fortunately this does not work in defense, in defense everyone has to be pretty individually able to make the right decision quickly. That's just not happening because the training level is run up dig a hole and start shooting people, most don't get to the last step and die digging a hole.

Sad poo poo. I feel for the Russian population, they're propagandized to hell and are being used for imperialist ains that will end with their deaths and shattered families, not the riches they believe they are owed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 8, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's always been true that Bakhmut is a better fortified stronghold than the terrain behind Bakhmut. If Russia has enough strength to force Ukraine back from Bakhmut, then it also has enough strength to force Ukraine back from the less-defensible lines behind Bakhmut. So Ukraine's options are either 1) hold Bakhmut, 2) destroy enough of Russia's forces at Bakhmut that they cannot effectively advance further, or 3) get pushed back to Slovyansk and watch another small city get turned to rubble.

When you're looking at a map of Ukraine playing armchair general, option #3 seems a lot more palatable than it does when you're sitting in the presidential office knowing that you have to answer to the people. The truth in the "analysts'" statements is that from a military perspective Ukraine can afford to fall back and let Russia exhaust itself faster over the greater distance. The truth in Zelensky's statement is that from a human perspective, Bakhmut is the best place to blunt the Russian advance before it overruns and destroys hundreds of thousands of additional homes.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The talk of Russian tank brigades advancing in columns and getting bogged down over and over dredged up a memory of this article I read many years ago.

https://20thcenturywargaming.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/why-cold-war-warsaw-pact-tactics-work-in-wargaming/

quote:

Some Soviet weapons were largely inferior (perhaps at 2/3rds of the effectiveness of western weapons), in particular at long range. Their method of counter acting this was aiming to keep the advance moving in column until hit by effective enemy fire (e.g. first tank is blown up), then spend a minute forming into line abreast, followed by a charge.

If a company was engaged at the range of a mile, then it would aim to be on the enemy position in three minutes if it was in column (i.e. not expecting to be hit by effective fire) or 2 minutes if already formed for an advance to contact. Russian units do not fire and manoeuvre at below company level (at least while in a mechanised battle). The second company would aim to be on the enemy position as soon as the tactical situation permitted e.g. 2-3 minute after the first company has reached the enemy position. On the battlefield it meant that defending enemy anti-tank guided missile launchers would get perhaps 2 missiles off, and hand held anti-tank weapons perhaps 1 or 2 before the battle was fought at point blank range.

On the wargaming table, the rapid ‘close to contact’ minimises the NATO advantage in weaponry. Advantages, such as superior NATO weapon sights, matter little if tanks and AFVs are firing at targets at less than 200 metres.

quote:

The scene was set in a WWII aircraft hanger used by BAE Systems limited for some experiments on situational awareness on the modern battlefield. The game was played over a 1/300 scale model, representing a portion of West Germany near the ‘Hof Gap’, that was large enough to be walked on.

The scenario had been played 80 times before, as repetition was necessary to produce valid data. I was on the attacking team against staff who had knew the rules, terrain and the scenario inside out (and back to front). What the staff did not realise was that all of the attacking team had commanded ‘Orange forces’ at various levels during NATO exercises. We were Russians and we intended to act like them.

The terrain analysis was simple. A stream ran across our front, overlooked by high ground on the other side. There was a town to the left as we faced our axis of advance and in the far distance (15k) was a larger river, with a few crossing points dominated by a few hills. There were an appropriate number of woods, farms, roads and tracks.

Our plan was simple, we would advance on three axis, with a reserve behind. Which ever axis broke through first would become the main axis of advance and all support would be shifted to that axis. We took approximately 10 minutes to make our plan, which caused much amusement to the other side. They expected us to spend 2 hours discussing phased lines of advance, artillery targets, giving detailed orders etc…

The battle started with an artillery/ rocket/ mortar barrage reminiscent of the Somme. While NATO armies might carefully recce enemy positions or rely of calling in supporting fire as targets were required, we were a Russian army and we had little confidence in getting the necessary support quickly. We simply identified any likely positions overlooking the stream and hit them hard with a pre-prepared fire plan.

There could have been minefields to our front, but Russian doctrine was to advance as if they were not there. So the NATO defenders were a little surprised as there was no tentative recce, no checking for minefields but mechanised companies advancing at maximum speed on three axis. This ruined their plan of taking time to identify our main thrust and counter-attacking it.

As we entered the town on our left, it became obvious that the town was well defended. So, in line with Russian doctrine (Towns should be bypassed), infantry were debussed to engage in FIBUA, while the main column identified a gap in the defences, one street wide, and the battalion went straight through the town and out the other side… the defenders were shocked at being bypassed and their commander had what can only be described as ‘command paralysis’.

The NATO counter-attack hit our centre axis of advance. Our centre axis ground to a halt. rather than reinforce failure, the reserves switched to follow another axis. The divisional artillery support also switched to the other two successful axis.

Our advance was difficult to halt, as every time a main road was blocked, the advance switched to the next adjacent road. Russian policy was any road heading west would do (as they come from a country of poor roads).

At every possible opportunity, the Russian advance switched back to column formation for maximum speed. The speed reduced NATO support, as their mortar/ artillery positions had to move as they felt threatened by the speed of our advance.

The other side started to panic as the situation was changing too quickly and we seemed to be playing by different rules to what they were used to. I knew we were winning when an umpire tried to warn me about potential ambushes and why my column should slow down (just in case).

The game ended with the right hand Russian axis occupying the high ground overlooking the crossing points the enemy needed to retreat over. It had a full division’s worth of artillery to supplement its tank guns and anti-tank missiles. The scattered NATO forces had been bypassed and were out of supply and their retreat route was covered by direct enemy fire and artillery.

It’s an interesting dive into older soviet doctrine and the logic behind it and why perhaps certain behaviours you keep seeing from the Russians are occurring. Old theory meeting modern reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Okay, Russians are Romans now. Finally this war is justified!

:psyduck: