Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Vermain posted:

fallout 4 sold an absolutely tremendous amount, too, despite not being substantially that different from what outer worlds did

people just really like explorable worlds with some modest RPG and gunplay elements for flavor, which is fine, though i'm a tad peeved that it may well mean we're never gonna see another PoE

I honestly like Fallout 4 more than Outer Worlds. The former still has pretty good exploration and its politics being incoherent/barely there is better than Outer Worlds' insistence that anyone who proposes radical solutions to capitalism's overreaches is a crazy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larian genuinely uses Early Access as it perhaps was originally intended (to experiment with and overhaul huge aspects of the game while it is still in an incredibly rough state) rather than as a glorified beta or to drum up sales before it becomes vaporware, as many other Steam projects do. Their last two games prior to Baldur's Gate 3 utilized EA effectively and the final releases were stronger for it.

I'm hype for BG3 but that's honestly because it's first and foremost a Larian game rather than a BG game.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Whirling posted:

Scratching my head at the Outer Worlds graphical update that just came out. That game was so weirdly successful despite being one of Obsidian's worst games. I guess it works, which puts it above unmodded KOTOR 2, but I played it for 1 buck off Game Pass and still felt kind of ripped off.

It was a very bad game, but the ways in which were bad weren't obvious until you were deep into playing it. It had good marketing and, if you're being cynical, seemed deliberately designed to be as appealing to game reviewers as possible, so its success isn't that weird

There's a phenomenon that happens when a game's sales greatly outperforms its quality: its sequel sells substantially less, even if it's a huge improvement. Ironically Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity is one of the more well known examples of this

Could be that they're hoping to avoid that outcome by giving the game the Larian / CDPR / Hello Games treatment of unexpected long term support, which of course brings a lot of goodwill

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
pentiment was a good game, people should play that instead

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The update will probably do well, people seem really starved for the Bethesda style open world rpg given Bethesdas inability to actually put anything out recently.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ALso TOW wasn't very good but it wasn't like trash or something it was just really mediocre and uninspired, which isn't really a problem people have with Bethesda games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm morbidly curious about starfield. maybe not enough to play it if i have anything more interesting i'm going through when it comes out but, morbidly curious. i do not have confidence bethesda will be able to break the infinite planet space game problem that would obviously lead to the quest design and writing being even worse than it has been in each game past oblivion

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll play Starfield because it's an rpg in space

Also on gamepass so

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It has a weird dialogue system so hopefully its the oblivion type of bad instead of the skyrim type of bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll play Starfield because it's an rpg in space

Also on gamepass so

RPG in space makes my lizard brain go brrrrrrrrrrr so I have been excited for this for quite sometime.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gaius Marius posted:

The update will probably do well, people seem really starved for the Bethesda style open world rpg given Bethesdas inability to actually put anything out recently.

September 6th for Starfield apparently, since nobody seemed to mention or link it. How long until it's patched and modded to the point where it'll get at least closer to its real potential, who can say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raWbElTCea8

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MechaX posted:

I gotta give Octopath 2 one thing so far; they are actually mostly succeeding in making me give a drat about these characters after the first chapter than Octopath 1 ever did

I can’t even remember what goals/grievances the Octopath 1 characters even had at this point

For me, it's the little touches like seeing an NPC blocking a door, noting how he is far too strong to get beaten up by your current character special mechanic, and then later you meet another character who can just drug him to sleep so you can now go back and sneak past him without a fight. :allears:

They even improved hunting. Hunting! Ochette can turn enemies not only into her personal pokemon, but also turn them into a wide variety of food item giving buffs. But those items are also worth quite a lot of money, and after you realize that Ochette is suddenly the richest girl in the world. (At least for early-to-midgame, gauging the numbers. But if stronger monsters also make stronger items, as I suspect, maybe Ochette will be able to stay the party's moneymaker to the end.)

Nothing so far beats Castti just running around drugging people, though. That's just the best

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Outer worlds was way worse than fallout 4 :psyduck:

Fallout isn't sterile of soul

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Starfield is gonna be good. After all, more and more people have taken to calling its director God Howard and they might be onto something...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I suspect Starfield will be tolerable on release and get steadily better over time as a) Bethesda fixes some bugs, b) fan patches fix way more bugs, and c) mods are released.

You know, the typical Bethesda model.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm going to play Starfield and I even plan to enjoy it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

exquisite tea posted:

Larian genuinely uses Early Access as it perhaps was originally intended (to experiment with and overhaul huge aspects of the game while it is still in an incredibly rough state) rather than as a glorified beta or to drum up sales before it becomes vaporware, as many other Steam projects do. Their last two games prior to Baldur's Gate 3 utilized EA effectively and the final releases were stronger for it.

I'm hype for BG3 but that's honestly because it's first and foremost a Larian game rather than a BG game.
I mostly agree but I still think that second half of Original Sin 2 was pretty bad and it makes me wonder if EA impacted that at all. I think Hades is the only big "this is the way" EA player in my mind.

Regardless, it always cracks me up how mad people got in the Original Sin early access periods when their feedback didn't translate into immediate changes to the game. There are so many CRPG amateur designers out there lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I mostly agree but I still think that second half of Original Sin 2 was pretty bad and it makes me wonder if EA impacted that at all. I think Hades is the only big "this is the way" EA player in my mind.

Regardless, it always cracks me up how mad people got in the Original Sin early access periods when their feedback didn't translate into immediate changes to the game. There are so many CRPG amateur designers out there lol

That final act would have been different if the early access period covered the whole game, since they definitely listened to player feedback when they made some massive changes to it with that enhanced edition update like a year or so after the 1.0 release.

Makes me wonder if that's gonna happen with BG3 as well or if it's gonna be different since they're working with a licensed property.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They they an enhanced remake for Divinity 2, DOS1 and DOS2 so I'll be surprised if there isn't something along those lines for BG3, whether it's officially a big new launch or just a megapatch that comes with DLC or something.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
BG3 is gonna own

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DOS2 only poo poo its pants in the Arx chapter at the 90 percent mark. I dont know whose idea it was to have so many ambushes and bottlenecks.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Baldur's Gate 3 has JK Simmons cast as what looks like the main antagonist which is a good sign for being able to not get overshadowed by the memory of Irenicus.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Outer worlds was way worse than fallout 4 :psyduck:

Fallout isn't sterile of soul

Yeah I genuinely enjoyed Fallout 4 in spite of it's problems (and have had a lot of fun modding it) but Outer Worlds was miserable. The only reason I'm happy it's getting a sequel is presumably the people responsible for why OW1 sucked so much will be working on 2, and not on Avowed and whatever JSawyer and the Grounded teams are doing now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Libluini posted:

For me, it's the little touches like seeing an NPC blocking a door, noting how he is far too strong to get beaten up by your current character special mechanic, and then later you meet another character who can just drug him to sleep so you can now go back and sneak past him without a fight. :allears:

That's sort of a general pattern with the Path abilities. For example, if it's nearly impossible to pickpocket or mug someone, it's probably trivial if you just ask nicely.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I question if Castti is liable to lose her medical licence due to her tendency of drugging people at night.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Whirling posted:

I honestly like Fallout 4 more than Outer Worlds. The former still has pretty good exploration and its politics being incoherent/barely there is better than Outer Worlds' insistence that anyone who proposes radical solutions to capitalism's overreaches is a crazy person.

Yeah, I concur completely. Fallout 4 isn't anything approaching an amazing game and has a lot of flaws, but it's pretty fun to walk around in and take in the sights, and it's absolutely huge so there's lots to see and do. The spectrum of moral choices in the game is broad and varied and it generally treats every faction you can join as a valid choice with its own positives and negatives instead of going BZZZT YOU PICKED WRONG, IDIOT, even if some of them are morally questionable or reprehensible.

Outer Worlds is comparatively loving boring. You have combat which is just as bland and companions who are just as stupid in combat as Bethesda FPS, except the exploration is also boring as poo poo and the areas are comparatively tiny and forgettable. It also really, really insists that being an incredibly cowardly centrist is actually the only moral and correct choice because generally picking "capitalist filth" or "anticapitalist rebel" choices have very poor outcomes, as exemplified by the first town.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my best "am i reading queer poo poo into movies where it doesnt belong" moment was watching breaking away, a film where a high school kid starts talking different, dressing different, in a way that is completely against the norms of a relatively conservative town in Indiana to the consternation of his family, and also his dad walks in on him shaving his legs.

except in this case it is that he becomes obsessed with Italian culture, and cycling

i haven't seen breaking away in forever but you probably are not reading the film wrong. if a movie about IU didn't include queer subtext it wouldn't really be about IU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I concur completely. Fallout 4 isn't anything approaching an amazing game and has a lot of flaws, but it's pretty fun to walk around in and take in the sights, and it's absolutely huge so there's lots to see and do. The spectrum of moral choices in the game is broad and varied and it generally treats every faction you can join as a valid choice with its own positives and negatives instead of going BZZZT YOU PICKED WRONG, IDIOT, even if some of them are morally questionable or reprehensible.

Outer Worlds is comparatively loving boring. You have combat which is just as bland and companions who are just as stupid in combat as Bethesda FPS, except the exploration is also boring as poo poo and the areas are comparatively tiny and forgettable. It also really, really insists that being an incredibly cowardly centrist is actually the only moral and correct choice because generally picking "capitalist filth" or "anticapitalist rebel" choices have very poor outcomes, as exemplified by the first town.

The resolution to the first town seriously made me hate the game lol. I don't even have an issue with siding with the rebels not 'working out perfectly' or whatever, but the fact that the old lady turns into a moustache twirling villain the moment the dust clears and brags about killing everyone who was still in the town, and your only response is "I feel I made a mistake trusting you" is just. Like unacceptable lol. Zero way to threaten her to upholding her end of the bargain or anything. It's pure smug "Actually the good thing was bad, don't you feel stupid now?" quest design.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The writing of Outer Worlds was basically a dilbert strip where the last panel was swapped out with the punchline from either a dunesbury or mallard fillmore strip at random.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 9, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
My overall impression of the game was it going "look at me, ain't I funny, am I not hilarious, shouldn't you be laughing?" all the time and just not connecting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/rdbaaa/status/1633931927974711296

Finally, Boku is perfect

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The resolution to the first town seriously made me hate the game lol. I don't even have an issue with siding with the rebels not 'working out perfectly' or whatever, but the fact that the old lady turns into a moustache twirling villain the moment the dust clears and brags about killing everyone who was still in the town, and your only response is "I feel I made a mistake trusting you" is just. Like unacceptable lol. Zero way to threaten her to upholding her end of the bargain or anything. It's pure smug "Actually the good thing was bad, don't you feel stupid now?" quest design.

And they pretty much just pull that same trick on every single questline where there's a choice.

Just incredibly obvious that, no, this was not written by the team who wrote the games Obsidian fans loved.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Every part of Outer Worlds seemed as if they were trying to reverse engineer games people liked as opposed to trying to design one with their own vision. This resulted in them robotically adding things to the game without any knowledge as to how or why they worked

There were two side quests that broke me, mostly because I happened to play them back to back. The first was the quest on Monarch with the cannibal family, the second was the retirement lottery quest on the last planet. Both are "twist" quests, and even if you've never played the game you can probably guess how they go based on that sentence

Those kind of quests only work when they're genuinely surprising, or if you allow the players to be smart or clever with them. Otherwise it can be really obnoxious to see through the twist and be forced to go through the linear steps anyway

and yet they chose the most obvious and most cliched versions of these quests, and did nothing to obfuscate the twist. the exact moment you enter a building - the only one in the whole area with a load screen - and you see a creepy family inviting you to dinner, you 100% realize what the deal is. and similarly, as soon as you overhear the first conversation about the retirement thing you can piece it together immediately. this could be your first video game you've ever played and you still might have guessed correctly thanks to osmosis of the tropes and cliches of the genre

just an absolute lack of mastery of everybody designing the game. it was like they were following a youtube tutorial

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the cannibal sidequest in mask of the betrayer because the protagonist has to eat spirits to survive so its sort of a mirroring thing where 'oh is eating flesh worse than eating people's souls,' like theres a purpose to it being there

feel like a lot of writers just go 'woah... cannibals! isnt that hosed up...'

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would honestly prefer Bethesda style "Would you like to do the right thing or would you like to be Hitler?" choice over these twist choices Outer Worlds is doing. They sound real bad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

i like the cannibal sidequest in mask of the betrayer because the protagonist has to eat spirits to survive so its sort of a mirroring thing where 'oh is eating flesh worse than eating people's souls,' like theres a purpose to it being there

feel like a lot of writers just go 'woah... cannibals! isnt that hosed up...'

obsidian's generally very good at keeping its sidequests thematically connected, like even the white glove society in F:NV is still dealing with one of the game's primary themes (finding inspiration from the past without being swallowed up by it) in its own way

it's what's so offputting about outer worlds, i think: if you've played F:NV or MotB, you've seen the heights that CRPG writing is capable of reaching, so going into it expecting that quality and getting middling bethesda-tier material threw a lot of people for a loop

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Outer World sequel needs flavour, as Deadfire before it and Pentiment after it had far more character.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They should cancel Outer Worlds 2 and give the funding to the Pentiment team to make 2 more short little historical simulator games set in other places/times.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why are they making Outer Worlds 2 in the first place? The big question.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Maybe Pentiment could have a one-act DLC where you try to solve a murder in some remote corner in Bavaria. The mystery of the main game was more window dressing to explore the historical setting, so a Detective/RPG/VN hybrid wouldn't be that hard to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume the first one sold well enough based on people expecting it to be New Vegas 2