Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It leaves out Tales and Star Ocean! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Just call em Menu RPGs, they're RPGs whose imputs are largely defined by selecting stuff from menus, a non-derogatory judgement-free accurate descriptor. If you have to attack a guy by going into a menu and selecting "attack," that counts, as well as the various other actions that define an RPGs central gameplay loop. There, that covers most non-mmo Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and Atlus RPGs and Earthbound and Undertale and that whole drat grab bag. It notably excludes Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect, but could arguably include the Infinity Engine games, but gently caress it those are close enough for taxonomic purposes.

Arguably Eve Online would count under this but that's more a Spreadsheet MMO

mass effect has a menu where you select your powers when you want to use them

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alaois posted:

mass effect has a menu where you select your powers when you want to use them

...poo poo you're right. This paradigm needs some refinement if it somehow classifies Mass Effect and Dragon Quest into some category distinct from Skyrim or Dark Souls.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
My god Anime RPG was not at all a serious suggestion you pedants.

I thought it was obvious when I said Mass Effect was meaningfully a different genre than Mass Effect 2 and 3.

OPAONI has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Mar 9, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randalor posted:

There are cartoons widely considered to be anime made outside of Japan and its a term that doesn't single out a specific country. I'm not the one that first suggested it, I just listed it with other terms people could use to describe RPGs that doesn't say "This game is from Japan, even if it's not from Japan".

I got dragged in CD for suggesting that the animated 1986 Transformers film was anime even though it was animated anime-style, most of the animators were Japanese and Toei Animation vice president Kozo Morishita traveled to the US for a year to supervise the art direction, and the Transformers characters themselves were all originally designed in Japan.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The only good video game is Tetris.

It has the best music, the best characters, (the T piece), and the best background.

RPGs, be they J or otherwise are bad and poopy.

Edit: On a slightly serious note about Anime and Japan:

I am currently working as an ESL teacher in Hokkaido. And was asked to do a lesson about my home country for the year 3s and 4s.

As part of it I introduced them to some "Australian Anime". The kids loved it. And even though they are fine with a magical blue robot cat wizard from the future, (Doraemon), they were scandalized by the very idea of anthropomorphic fruit dressed in sleepwear playing hide and seek with teddybears on a weekly basis, (Bananas in Pajamas).

The point being, to these kids, the term "anime" just mean cartoon TV show. And didn't have any of the weird cultural baggage that people seem to have put on it.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Mar 9, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I got dragged in CD for suggesting that the animated 1986 Transformers film was anime even though it was animated anime-style, most of the animators were Japanese and Toei Animation vice president Kozo Morishita traveled to the US for a year to supervise the art direction, and the Transformers characters themselves were all originally designed in Japan.

Transformers 1986 can't be anime, because anime is bad, and Transformers is really really bad

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

the holy poopacy posted:

Transformers 1986 can't be anime, because anime is bad, and Transformers is really really bad

That's like the defining feature of 80s anime.

I had to watch some real garbage 80s Korean anime before but it at least had that "none of the animation is consistent between scenes sometimes the characters just have different color hair or are wearing different clothes" thing going on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Gargoyles anime?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

That's like the defining feature of 80s anime.

I had to watch some real garbage 80s Korean anime before but it at least had that "none of the animation is consistent between scenes sometimes the characters just have different color hair or are wearing different clothes" thing going on.

Huh. Most of my exposure to 80s anime is American frankenimports so I always assumed that was an artifact of the hack job edits, was that actually baked into the source material?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is Gargoyles anime?

Only if Batman: The Animated Series is also anime, most of Gargoyles core creators came across from there and they both had a pretty similar look. I'd call both of them Western-style animated series which outsourced a lot of the work to Japanese production houses, and they leaned heavily on the style of the 1940s Fleischer Superman cartoons.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Truth be told “JRPG” as a label is getting pretty long in the tooth anyway, with its compatriot the WRPG having gone more or less extinct. It was useful in the old days but like its similarly-badly-aged board game compatriots ‘Eurogame’ and ‘Amerigame’ (or their even-worse-aged alternate names ‘Eurotrash’ and ‘Ameritrash’) it’s lost most of its usefulness over the years as the industry has evolved and ceased to neatly fill the old buckets.

Nowadays it’s more useful to talk about a game including worker placement or card drafting or different spite levels and whatnot.

I’m sympathetic to Yoshi-P’s desire to move away from ‘JRPG’ as a bucket, given the negative history with western media treatment and how increasingly ill-fitting the bucket is

If I were to break the ‘classical’ JRPG down into components, I’d probably call it a ‘Party-Driven Turn Based RPG’ - Turn Based RPG for the combat system, and Party-Driven for the mostly static ensemble cast driving forward the story.

That would make Mass Effect something like a Party-Driven Third Person Shooter, and divides up SMT from Pokemon in a way I think has a general rightness to it - while both have monster collector features, the SMT series tends to be driven by a cast of friends who inevitably divide up into law, chaos, and neutrality, whereas Pokemon tends to be driven by the journey to the top (with the side cast mostly there to add interesting detours to the story)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I feel I need to know what SMG's position was before I can weigh in on this one

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's why you should call them [0]451 games.

As much as I prefer "0451" to "immersive sim," I think it's a bad genre name because it's a shibboleth, not a good description. "Immersive Sim" isn't much better because, as mentioned, they're not really "simulators" (makes me think of things like Microsoft Flight Simulator or similar) and they're as immersive as any other video game. If we can have genres like "Metroidvania" and "Roguelike" and "Souls-like," I don't see why we can't have "Deus Ex-like" or "DX-like" (technically, it'd probably be System Shock-like, but "SS-like" doesn't have a great ring to it, imo).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Realms of the Haunting-like

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Thundercats is an anime. The last unicorn is an anime.

Anime is blood.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volcott posted:

Thundercats is an anime. The last unicorn is an anime.

Anime is blood.

Am ..... am I an anime??? :ohdear:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

beats for junkies posted:

As much as I prefer "0451" to "immersive sim," I think it's a bad genre name because it's a shibboleth, not a good description. "Immersive Sim" isn't much better because, as mentioned, they're not really "simulators" (makes me think of things like Microsoft Flight Simulator or similar) and they're as immersive as any other video game. If we can have genres like "Metroidvania" and "Roguelike" and "Souls-like," I don't see why we can't have "Deus Ex-like" or "DX-like" (technically, it'd probably be System Shock-like, but "SS-like" doesn't have a great ring to it, imo).

i remember being very upset at Prey 2016 when the very first keycode wasn't 0451 and then it turned out to be the keycode to my own safe in my office and i was begrudgingly like "...okay fiiiiiiine you smartypants."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A genre I made up is “bin rummager”, like in stalker, fallout, deus ex, bioshock, oblivion etc you spend like 30% the time going through peoples bins.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Arivia posted:

i remember being very upset at Prey 2016 when the very first keycode wasn't 0451 and then it turned out to be the keycode to my own safe in my office and i was begrudgingly like "...okay fiiiiiiine you smartypants."

You get an achievement for doing that in Deathloop, and it's even called "old habits die hard" I think haha

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

well why not posted:

A genre I made up is “bin rummager”, like in stalker, fallout, deus ex, bioshock, oblivion etc you spend like 30% the time going through peoples bins.

Jamrock Shufflers.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
GAYrpg

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Biffos, muzzle blasters & date 'em ups

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

well why not posted:

I call them Pineapple Dressers after Bioshock Infinite

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Mar 9, 2023

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Khizan posted:

Jamrock Shufflers.

DespaiRPG

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Just call them turn based rpgs if they're turn based and other such descriptions as appropriate. there's not really a need for the big umbrella term genres thqt are super vague and self contradictory anymore imho

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just call them turn based rpgs if they're turn based and other such descriptions as appropriate. there's not really a need for the big umbrella term genres thqt are super vague and self contradictory anymore imho

This is why I also arrange all my media into pre- and post-apocalypse categories. Everything else is minutiae.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

This is why I also arrange all my media into pre- and post-apocalypse categories. Everything else is minutiae.

Do you also have a peri-apocalypse category, and if so, are you putting media set in the current day in there

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CJacobs posted:

I call them Pineapple Dressers after Bioshock Infinite

The only thing about Bioshock Infinite that holds up is how incredibly funny it is when you eat cotton candy out of a garbage bin.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The only thing about Bioshock Infinite that holds up is how incredibly funny it is when you eat cotton candy out of a garbage bin.

I mean, Booker is absolutely the kind of person who would gun down a crowd of strangers and then walk away eating a hot dog he found in the garbage. Like, that totally makes sense to be something he's doing in character and not some sort of gameplay abstraction.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I enjoyed Bioshock 2 a fair amount but the moments I enjoyed the most were the handful of times that you, a big hosed up bioengineered dude in a diving suit with a drill, end up in a room with another character that you can choose to kill for story reasons, and instead rummaging through all their drawers and shelves, slamming back every bottle of liquor, eating every potato chip, and smoking all their cigarettes in the span of approximately 30 seconds before running back out the door to do whatever the gently caress you have to do next

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

My wife and I have been putting in reruns of Step by Step as background noise and I remember as a kid thinking Cody, the slacker living in a van in the main family's driveway, was a cool dude.

But then there have been a few episodes where he makes it clear he does not believe in premarital sex and now it's clear to me he's just a homeless loser.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

duck trucker posted:

My wife and I have been putting in reruns of Step by Step as background noise and I remember as a kid thinking Cody, the slacker living in a van in the main family's driveway, was a cool dude.

But then there have been a few episodes where he makes it clear he does not believe in premarital sex and now it's clear to me he's just a homeless loser.

My only memory of Step By Step is watching it and seeing not just one but TWO episodes that were almost identical to Happy Days episodes. I don't just mean thematically, it's like they reused the script and changed the names :mad:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phy posted:

Do you also have a peri-apocalypse category, and if so, are you putting media set in the current day in there

Carnivale

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kit Walker posted:

I enjoyed Bioshock 2 a fair amount but the moments I enjoyed the most were the handful of times that you, a big hosed up bioengineered dude in a diving suit with a drill, end up in a room with another character that you can choose to kill for story reasons, and instead rummaging through all their drawers and shelves, slamming back every bottle of liquor, eating every potato chip, and smoking all their cigarettes in the span of approximately 30 seconds before running back out the door to do whatever the gently caress you have to do next

I still wanna know how the gently caress Delta eats his potted meat while locked inside a diving suit.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

John Murdoch posted:

I still wanna know how the gently caress Delta eats his potted meat while locked inside a diving suit.

I like to imagine it has a hatch on the front

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kit Walker posted:

I like to imagine it has a hatch on the front

He uses his breathing grate like a child's play doh mold, and just forces the food through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... suppository?