Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jarf posted:

I'm no expert but I assume a part of it is that they need a standing army incase anything else happens.

If they commited 100% of their forces to Ukraine China could just be like "oh wait, our border is actually supposed to be 100 miles north of here, oopsie".

China absolutely could do that right now if Russia didn't have nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

No WW3 fantasies, please. No one will invade a nuclear power, and there's no large standing army left hiding in Russia.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Denazification going great.

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1633791315132416000?t=U6eLjvv32r19xXpFMoScsw&s=19

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
If I'm not mistaken Russia has between 6-7 million men of military age. Currently they have 500,000 in arms/training, they've lost what, around 200,000? And 1 million have fled to avoid conscription. They still have numbers to draw on but training/equipping them is a big issue.

Ukraine I don't know their numbers except 1/4th of their population are refugees elsewhere.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RuMoD has said that the last night's airstrike was a retaliation for the Bryansk village attack. https://t.me/rian_ru/196438

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ummel posted:

Just a couple days early with this comment. There's a massive missile wave tonight, per twitter.

It's only half as massive as the waves at the start of the year that were in retaliation for the Crimean bridge explosion. The strikes today are explicitly called by Russian MoD retaliation for 'terrorist acts' in Bryansk oblast'.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

NPR is reporting some of the missiles that got through last night were hypersonics.

"NPR posted:

KYIV, Ukraine — At least six people have died after a barrage of Russian missiles hit targets across Ukraine early Thursday, also knocking out power at Europe's largest atomic power station.

Most of the dead were in the western region which includes the city of Lviv, where a Russian missile hit a neighborhood.

"It's been a difficult night," President Volodymyr Zelenskyy wrote on his Telegram page, adding that Russians had returned to their "miserable tactics" to try to intimidate Ukrainians. "It's all they can do. But it won't help them. They can't avoid responsibility for everything they have done."

Also writing on Telegram, Ukraine's air force claimed it had shot down 34 of the 81 missiles Russia launched.

Ukraine's air defense is sophisticated and usually intercepts most Russian missiles. But the air force said at least six missiles launched today by Russia were Kinzhals — "daggers" — nuclear-capable missiles that travel at hypersonic speeds and can't be intercepted by Ukraine's air defense.

Yuriy Ignat, an air force spokesman, told Ukrainian TV that Russia had never fired this many Kinzhals in one attack.

Click through for full article.

new rules haven't hit yet post all your long-form paywalled articles :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Ukraine is reporting that ~80 missiles were launched in the latest attack on its energy infrastructure. Keep in mind that Ukraine is a large country. The density of strikes is quite small for so many potential targets. By way of comparison, in 2017 the US launched 59 cruise missiles against a single airbase in Syria. Some analysts have predicted that Russia is likely maintaining a relatively small reserve of ballistic and cruise missiles in case the conflict widens, but that in Ukraine they are subject to using only what they can produce. Thus, they can save up several weeks' worth of production and then launch attacks to saturate air defenses. These predictions seem to be accurate so far.

To new thread-joiners, for the sake of clarity: Russia does not possess existing reserve conventional ground forces in any meaningful numbers. They're not in reserve; they're not manning remote Siberian bases; they simply do. not. exist. There are handful of mechanized battalions in Moldova; Kaliningrad probably has a division or so; there are probably a handful of personnel officers and the equivalent of MPs at some bases; and that's about it. The 155th Naval Infantry Brigade is out of Vladivostok for goodness' sake, and Russian sources report it has had at least a half-dozen rounds of replacements from mobilized personnel. In terms of conventional maneuver forces, if it's not in Ukraine or Kaliningrad, it doesn't exist.

The security apparatus is another matter. The Rogsvardia likely retains significant capability, as do the various local security forces.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jarf posted:

If they commited 100% of their forces to Ukraine China could just be like "oh wait, our border is actually supposed to be 100 miles north of here, oopsie".

I don't know what the appropriate thread if any to discuss this is, and I do not think that China is going to invade Russia, but it is my understanding that a lot of Chinese people believe the far eastern chunk of Russia (Vladivostok etc) belongs to China. (IIRC Russia took it from China in the mid 1800's.)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

1858-1860, to be precise.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
As an addendum, the whole "human wave tactics" thing is completely non-functional. Without gear for the theoretical people they could mobilize, they aren't going to be able to leverage any theoretical manpower advantage. They maybe still have enough guns and bullets for now, but if they increase their headcount substantially that won't be true forever, and they have shown a decided weakness for supplying the front. The strikes on caches a few months ago likely made them more cautious about overcommitting resources, but in the hypothetical where they just shoved a million people across the border to try to advance they would get obliterated by the minefields and artillery and then any survivors would have to retreat due to lack of basic supplies (food, bullets, etc).

I have no military experience, so this is more me regurgitating what I've consumed here, but it tracks with the beats of the war in terms of the reasons why Russians have had to retreat from their initial over-ambitious goals in and around Kyiv and throughout basically any areas not in the vicinity of holdings from 2014. You can't "Zerg rush" to extend fortifications, and your supply chain isn't "creep", you need actual built-out infrastructure and roads or rail lines to move things, and you can't extend your commitment to roads or rail lines unless you have a good way to control the potential ambush points and prevent artillery fire from hitting your trains/convoys

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Jarf posted:

I'm no expert but I assume a part of it is that they need a standing army incase anything else happens.

China absolutely could do this tomorrow. 95% of the units based in the Far East are in Ukraine now. There is no effective "strategic reserve", Russia sent *that* to Ukraine months ago.

China isn't doing this because the world isn't a bad Tom Clancy novel where every nation is run by a manic mapgame player and China is already getting everything it wants from Russia. (Also, nukes exist.)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 9, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Speaking of materiel, the US isn't the Arsenal of Democracy it used to be.

"Washington Post posted:

In race to arm Ukraine, U.S. faces cracks in its manufacturing might
The war has exposed an inability to rapidly surge production of many weapons needed for Ukraine and for America’s self-defense

The Scranton Army Ammunition Plant, one of a network of facilities involved in producing the U.S. Army’s 155-mm artillery round, is ground zero for the Biden administration’s scramble to accelerate the supply of weapons that Ukraine needs if its military is to prevail in the war with Russia.

The Pentagon’s plan for scaling up production of the shells over the next two years marks a breakthrough in the effort to quench Ukraine’s thirst for weapons. But the conflict has laid bare deep-seated problems that the United States must surmount to effectively manufacture the arms required not just to aid its allies but also for America’s self-defense should conflict erupt with Russia, China or another major power.

Research conducted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) shows the current output of American factories may be insufficient to prevent the depletion of stockpiles of key items the United States is providing Ukraine. Even at accelerated production rates, it is likely to take at least several years to recover the inventory of Javelin antitank missiles, Stinger surface-to-air missiles and other in-demand items.

Earlier research done by the Washington think tank illustrates a more pervasive problem: The slow pace of U.S. production means it would take as long as 15 years at peacetime production levels, and more than eight years at a wartime tempo, to replace the stocks of major weapons systems such as guided missiles, piloted aircraft and armed drones if they were destroyed in battle or donated to allies.

As the front lines have hardened during the frigid winter months, the ground war has become a bloody, artillery-heavy fight, with Ukrainian forces firing an average of 7,700 artillery shells a day, according to the Ukrainian military, greatly outpacing the U.S. prewar production rate of 14,000 155-mm rounds a month. In the first eight months after Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion, Ukrainian forces burned through 13 years worth of Stinger antiaircraft missiles and five years of Javelin missiles, according to Raytheon, which produces both weapons.

In Europe, the problems are equally grave. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg warned in February that the wait time for large-caliber weapons has more than tripled, meaning items ordered now will not be delivered for over two years. In Germany, amid plans for a dramatic military expansion, its ammunition supply is believed to be sufficient for two days of fighting. In one war game, British stocks lasted eight days.

Fortunately for Kyiv, Russia, with its defense industry under severe sanctions, has a similar problem. According to Kyrylo Budanov, the Ukrainian military intelligence chief, the Kremlin has been forced to reduce the pace of air attacks due to dwindling stocks of key munitions, including the Kalibr and Kh-101 cruise missiles. Producing enough missiles for one major strike, he said recently, now takes up to two months.

The Pentagon used to design weapons programs so there would be at least two manufacturing sources, but over time it began to view that excess capacity as wasteful. Officials sought ways to maintain the competition in part by piggybacking off the commercial sector, but it did not always work. “We quit buying more than we needed,” said David Berteau, a former Pentagon acquisition official who heads the Professional Services Council, an industry group. “We quit paying for more than we needed.”

It was easier to overlook production problems during the two decades of counterinsurgent war that followed the 9/11 attacks, when U.S. forces battled lightly armed militants in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan. That is quickly changing with the demands posed by the large-scale conventional conflict underway now.

The Army now plans to boost its monthly capacity for producing 155-mm shells from about 14,000 now to 30,000 this spring, and eventually to 90,000. The military also is spending $80 million to bring a second source online for the Javelin missile’s rocket motor, a key component, and plans to double production to around 4,000 a year.

The Army recently signed a $1.2 billion contract for Raytheon to build six more units of national advanced surface-to-air defense systems, which are being used in the war in Ukraine to defend against Russian missile and drone attacks, but they will not be ready for another two years.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Moon Slayer posted:

I've been wondering about this as well. I'd imagine this issue is a result of the US not moving to a "total war" dynamic like it did in WW2. I don't see any Ford or GM factories building Javelins (yet). Surely production during WW2, without total war industrial mobilization, would have been subpar too.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

One thing I really don't understand is why Russia seems to be only committing a very small part of their... Um, armed force? Sorry I don't know the right word to use. Surely, if they wanted to, they could just pour in a very large volume of men and material and 'win' quickly. What am I missing? Is it just limiting escalation because of fear of this turning into something big?

Russia is enormous with military objects peppered all across its territory and since this war is not really existential for the country they cant just leave them with a skeleton crew - and commanders of those bases (and people immediately above the chain of command) are invested in having people there since it means allocated money and manpower (and, you know, not losing their people and assets in a meat grinder).

Even with that, you have marines from Baltic and Far East fleet and even personnel of Strategic Missle Forces participating in action as infantry.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Moon Slayer posted:

I am not too sure the example of Stinger and Javelin missiles with artillery shells would be the best example. Stinger missiles are a legacy platform for the US and production was at a trickle since they are so old and demand was limited. Javelin missiles and 155mm shells are different though. The US in a time of major conflict would use these weapons but they were not heavily produced since they are not really part of the US' military doctrine of air dominance (artillery). Or armoured vehicles in the case of infantry anti-tank weapons and MANPADS.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Not sure if I should ask this in the EE thread or here, but since most of his videos are explicitly about the war, this thread seems more appropriate. What do yall think of Vlad Vexler's stuff? I've been watching him talk about the russian mindset and his analysis of Putin's regime and it seems pretty reasonable to me. I like how he's careful to stay out of subjects where he doesn't consider himself an expert, but I don't actually know how comprehensive his expertise is or what others think of his analysis.

Found him relatively early on because I was absolutely sick of reading Putinology written by brits and americans who *very clearly* had no idea what they were talking about and sounded like they had never spoken to anyone from EE at all or ever been to russia.

He's been recommended by a few goons. He's not quite my style, because I find him a little long-winded and since he's obviously doing this as part of his living, his videos are presented in an algorithm-chasing kind of way that puts me off a little. I can't speak for his expertise, but what I've watched so far seems solid. There haven't been any red flags, unlike, say, Zeihan, whom we've discussed recently.

As for Western Putinologists and analysts, there's plenty of informed people who know there stuff. I tend to skip past professional youtubers and go straight to academic recordings these days.

Here's the panel discussion I linked a couple of days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcERDZR9lpo

Maybe too long or too dry for most people, and I have a hard time summarizing a 90 minute discussion, but this is a good recap of the military, economic and societal developments in Russia over the last year, with some informed projections about the upcoming months. For Putin's regime and power structures inside Russia, some people who stood out for me that I consider knowledgeable would be Mark Galeotti, and the Russian investigative journalists Andrei Soldatov and Irina Borogan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've been wondering about this as well. I'd imagine this issue is a result of the US not moving to a "total war" dynamic like it did in WW2. I don't see any Ford or GM factories building Javelins (yet). Surely production during WW2, without total war industrial mobilization, would have been subpar too.

Well, part of the dynamic there is that both sides were burning off cold war stocks. The reason Russia had, what, three thousand tanks at the start of this conflict is that the USSR had been building them nonstop since the sixties. Meanwhile we've been making javelins nonstop since, what, the nineties?

Of course the initial phases of the conflict are going to involve both sides using up decades of production. Thats why both sides spent all those decades producing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm really curious how the war is going to look in, say, fall of this year. Are we going to see the same kind of artillery duels or are both sides going to start being really conservative with ammunition? And what does a conflict like this look like then?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm really curious how the war is going to look in, say, fall of this year. Are we going to see the same kind of artillery duels or are both sides going to start being really conservative with ammunition? And what does a conflict like this look like then?

US shell production is ramping up, Ukraine will want to spend more shells, not less, since they got land to take back. As much trouble as Russia's economy is in, ramping up their own shell production is both a massive priority and not that difficult compared to making more missiles or tanks. So I think we'll be seeing a rise in shell use on both sides over the long term.

The shape of the battlefield will play more of a role in how the war goes. Last spring Ukraine started taking chunks of their land back, this spring they have a weaker enemy and western tanks to help. So while shell production says there should be more shell use later this year, where this war is going could change dramatically within the next few months.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

Youtube's favorite talking head Zeihan has argued that after a really bloody March-May things will take a decisive turn either way then it's a matter of the winning side pushing through to the end. It's one of his few predictions that can be tested in the short-term. By May Ukraine will have their next group of tanks trained up and Russia will have their max number of mobiks trained and deployed.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

US shell production is ramping up, Ukraine will want to spend more shells, not less, since they got land to take back. As much trouble as Russia's economy is in, ramping up their own shell production is both a massive priority and not that difficult compared to making more missiles or tanks. So I think we'll be seeing a rise in shell use on both sides over the long term.

The shape of the battlefield will play more of a role in how the war goes. Last spring Ukraine started taking chunks of their land back, this spring they have a weaker enemy and western tanks to help. So while shell production says there should be more shell use later this year, where this war is going could change dramatically within the next few months.

Having an additional supply of tanks will also translate to a bump in maintenance on the tanks and demand for shells. So I think we'll see who can sustain supply better (almost guaranteed Germany and the US) vs Russia.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Moon Slayer posted:

Based on current rates of production and consumption, Ukraine at least will likely need to reduce its artillery consumption in the mid-term (next several months to a year or so out, maybe longer). Russia may need to do the same, but their ammunition situation is more opaque. The quality of Russian ammunition is already far less than that of Ukraine, though. It's older, more prone for inaccuracy, and they don't have as many precision artillery shells to begin with.

I do wonder how much of this can be solved by throwing money at it. Like, if NATO countries said "here is 100 billion Euros", could Europe produce 100,000 shells/month in 3 months? Do any goons know enough about industrial scaling to weigh in?

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Ynglaur posted:

Based on current rates of production and consumption, Ukraine at least will likely need to reduce its artillery consumption in the mid-term (next several months to a year or so out, maybe longer). Russia may need to do the same, but their ammunition situation is more opaque. The quality of Russian ammunition is already far less than that of Ukraine, though. It's older, more prone for inaccuracy, and they don't have as many precision artillery shells to begin with.

I do wonder how much of this can be solved by throwing money at it. Like, if NATO countries said "here is 100 billion Euros", could Europe produce 100,000 shells/month in 3 months? Do any goons know enough about industrial scaling to weigh in?

Short answer , no , the constraints are usually the capital equipment necessary to mass produce goods that have long lead times to procure. You can’t drop ship in 100,000 employees and build these by hand you need capital equipment for production.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Orthanc6 posted:

US shell production is ramping up, Ukraine will want to spend more shells, not less

Except, as the article I posted states, it's not ramping up very fast. They will get to 90,000 a month maybe this year. Then you've got the logistics of getting them across the ocean and across Europe.

And we've already heard accounts from Bakhmut about Ukrainian forces needed to conserve ammunition for the first time in the conflict, most likely because they've burned through the stuff stockpiled around the world in the last fifty years and are beginning to have to rely on newly produced munitions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

The EU is presently figuring this out. Following on an earlier Estonian proposal to do a EUR 4bn group buy, the talks were had under auspices of the following scheme:

1. EU + Norway puts up EUR 1bn on the table simply for 155mm shells produced by the EU + Norwegian manufacturers (at least 16 different organisations)
2. EU commission directly negotiates on behalf of everyone with these companies to skip red tape (goal: contract in a few weeks)
3. Participating countries start offloading strategic artillery shell stocks to Ukraine
4. Participating manufacturers sell the reserved capacity to these countries, which pay 10-60% of price of the shells out of their pocket (increasing over time), with the rest of the money being covered by the common pot

The most recent update we have is that EU defence ministers have all backed this plan yesterday in an informal meeting. Which should mean that we simply twiddle our thumbs until March 23-24 European Council meeting, where it will get signed into reality by the heads of state. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-08/eu-urges-faster-joint-purchases-of-artillery-shells-for-ukraine

1 billion is supposed to be a test run, which if works out will then see countries “topping up” the artillery fund. I believe the current final ask by Ukraine of the EU is 250k shells shipped per month, though I'm not sure if we'll get there soon if the whole U.S. production is 30k/month.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The EU is going to need to get off their butts and create a local arms industry. It might not be Trump, but at some point America is going to have a President or Congress who refuses to foot the bill for military hardware. The recent Estonian proposal is a good start, but they should have done this 10 years ago when they ran out of bombs to hit Libya with in the first week.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

The EU is going to need to get off their butts and create a local arms industry. It might not be Trump, but at some point America is going to have a President or Congress who refuses to foot the bill for military hardware. The recent Estonian proposal is a good start, but they should have done this 10 years ago when they ran out of bombs to hit Libya with in the first week.

Or at least like a year ago when it became clear that putin won't just get bored. Seems like we wasted a lot of time by not immediately starting to ramp up production.

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し
Perun had a video on this recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deK98IeTjfY

He made the point that there are more artillery shell producers than just the US and Europe as well (for example, Australia is ramping up production).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Tomn posted:

I'm not sure this is quite as simple as that. Yes, Ukraine currently has an advantage in mobilized manpower, but it sounds like they've mobilized just about everything they COULD mobilize.
I have no idea where you get that from. According to many news reports, Ukraine is still mostly able to fulfill their recruitment needs through volunteers. It is easy to find reports of people complaining that they need to wait months in order to be able to join. There have been more and more reports, that that is apparently changing, in that they are now starting to also conscript people who haven‘t volunteered. I haven‘t seen anything with regards to Ukraine being unable to fill their recruitment needs.

quote:

Meanwhile Russia's half-assed mobilization was a joke in many ways, but they still have reserves of manpower they could draw on if they decided to mobilize further. This matters because just plain having more divisions in the field would be an advantage when they could threaten Ukraine anywhere along the line and force them to spread themselves thin while being able to more easily contain any Ukrainian breakthrough. The problem isn't that you'll literally kill off every fighting man of the enemy, the problem is that being able to field greater numbers creates major headaches for the enemy. How then isn't Russia's greater population not relevant in the long-term when the threat of a full Russian mobilization is constantly hanging over the heads of the Ukrainians?
Ukraine has enough population to mobilize millions. Russia has enough population to mobilize tens of millions.

So far Ukraine has mobilized less than a million and Russia maybe half a million. Toal population has been meaningless and will continue to be meaningless as regards to putting manpower on the front lines.

quote:

I'm also not sure WW2 is really the best backing for your argument - Germany famously had issues with manpower severely degrading their combat capability as well as their home front as nobody became available to work or fight. Yes, it's possible to drag out an inevitable defeat if you're willing to burn an entire generation but that's a far cry from "Achieving anything that might be termed a victory," and it's not exactly what I'd call an ideal model for Ukraine to follow.
Germany is an excellent example. Out of a pre-war population of 70 million, Germany lost roughly 3 to 4 million dead and missing until the end of 1944. Total collapse in 1945 saw another 1.5 million or so dead in a few months. In mid 1944 Germany had roughly 10 million people in the armed forces.1944 also saw peak production of military hardware.

Ukraine is still an order of magnitude away from those numbers (Ukraine had a pre-war population of 44 million, but women are also mobilized into the armed forces).

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

DTurtle posted:

I have no idea where you get that from. According to many news reports, Ukraine is still mostly able to fulfill their recruitment needs through volunteers. It is easy to find reports of people complaining that they need to wait months in order to be able to join. There have been more and more reports, that that is apparently changing, in that they are now starting to also conscript people who haven‘t volunteered. I haven‘t seen anything with regards to Ukraine being unable to fill their recruitment needs.

There's been some videos of Ukraine forcibly recruiting people.

I don't think they've generally been credible, but there's been enough "examples" out there and signal boosted for people to start asking questions.

Example:
https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/ukraine-begins-jailing-draft-dodgers:-mp

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think they've generally been credible, but there's been enough "examples" out there and signal boosted for people to start "just asking questions."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

When you are mobilising hundreds of thousands of people there's always going to be a proportion who evade. They're running a draft but they're also picking and choosing from the draft cohorts who they actually bring into the military. There's no sign at all that that Ukraine has manpower issues or that draft evasion is a serious problem. All polling still suggests that the war is more popular than Jesus in Ukraine which wouldn't be true if people where terrified of the draft.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think they've generally been credible, but there's been enough "examples" out there and signal boosted for people to start asking questions.

Example:
https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/ukraine-begins-jailing-draft-dodgers:-mp
Ukraine has a draft and mobilized on day one. That means it is completely fine and legal to forcibly recruit people against their will.

Despite this, they’ve apparently been mostly meeting their recruitment needs through volunteers. Russia has probably mobilized more people against their will than Ukraine. Ukraine is nowhere near mobilizing everything they could mobilize - which is what Tomn posted, and what I am arguing against.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Example:

Hadn't heard of Al Mayadeen before, so I looked them up and

Wikipedia article on Al Mayadeen posted:

In September 2022, during the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, Al Mayadeen spoke to Russian sources about setbacks in eastern Ukraine.[38] It has referred to the Government of Ukraine as a "Nazi regime" and promoted the discredited Ukraine bioweapons conspiracy theory.[39]

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
oh yeah the pro-assad news organization that george galloway had a show on lol

From the bottom of the linked page

:rolleyes:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jarf posted:

Think it's important to keep in mind that China likes having Russia around as an added pain in the rear end to the West a lot more than it likes some territory. Imo it's gonna try to keep Russia afloat while not sticking its neck out too far rather than stab Russia in the back or anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

oh yeah the pro-assad news organization that george galloway had a show on lol

From the bottom of the linked page

:rolleyes:

They're even buying in to the bio lab bullshit.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Ynglaur posted:

Speaking from my experience with consumer manufacturing, this would not be possible. Building/retrofitting facilities, expanding production lines, getting equipment, procurement of raw materials and components, trial runs, QA/QC process work, training... None of these are quick even if you're just expanding existing production lines, and some of these have to be done in sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

There's no sign at all that that Ukraine has manpower issues or that draft evasion is a serious problem.

There have been plenty of signs of that if you follow their local news. To grab something more recent, here's February 17 radio interview excerpt with the spokesperson of AFU's operational command “South”. She laments “faltering enthusiasm” of people who could've been subjected to mobilization, in that they show disregard for the expectation to keep up to date their address etcetera for the mobilization needs, exploiting loopholes in law. https://censor.net/ru/news/3400438/mobilizatsionnyyi_resurs_trebuetsya_dlya_rotatsii_entuziazm_u_lyudeyi_padaet_ok_pvden

In general, there's been a trickle of news both about people dodging attempts to mobilize them, going AWOL and so on – a bit more actively in January and February.