Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Notty posted:

I think they're really close to nailing Build but the one thing that I would like to see is some/any kind of mechanical upside for having low build. Games with the Rescue feature kiiinda did this by making so it so higher Con meant you were harder to pick up by mounted units (or you were unable to pick up heavier units because your own Con was high) but in practice I think only like...Hawkeye and Mordecai were ever meaningfully affected by that

Mordecai's an interesting case, because iirc unlike the GBA games, in Tellius being mounted is actually reflected in your weight stat, so while Mordecai being so heavy means even mounted units can't rescue him, it also means he's the only character that can rescue (or shove/smite) them. This is particularly relevant if you're trying to stealth mode the prison break chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The game now hands you so many tools and weapons especially if you have the FE Heroes dlc weapons that you don't really need to buy a lot of weapons and can just chuck all iron/steel poo poo you get.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I have intehrited Lunar Brace on a bunch of units and whenever someone with Eirika engages they all change to Eclispe Brace :eyepop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the topic of inheriting Lunar Brace, I think the well making SP a lot more accessible--therefore making inheriting Lunar Brace actually achievable for more than one character--is a pretty big buff to brave weapons. Previously, they had a real issue on anyone without a ton of Strength since, at least on Maddening, you'd often have trouble really dealing damage even if you quad. Characters like Panette or Amber could do good work with them because of their huge Strength stats but other characters would struggle. But with Lunar Brace that's not a concern at all.

I have Alear using Lunar Brace with a Brave Sword and quadding enemies like crazy, which has the added benefit of filling his engage meter really quickly so he can be almost constantly engaged. Once I get Engage+ this is going to be very very powerful.

RuBisCO posted:

I have intehrited Lunar Brace on a bunch of units and whenever someone with Eirika engages they all change to Eclispe Brace :eyepop:

Yeah it's a really wild interaction

It can be a little unfortunate if you want the Eirika user to be in Ephraim mode because while the ring user will get Bravery to continue boosting their damage, anyone with inherited Lunar Brace won't. But it's still an awesome skill and Eclipse Brace is a nice bonus to go with it.

(Also that Ephraim issue probably isn't a problem unless you have the Eirika ring on someone who sometimes wants to do magic damage, like Chloe with a Levin Sword. If you have the ring on someone who sticks to physical damage you probably aren't going to switch to Ephraim mode in the first place.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 9, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Harrow posted:

The fact that you can fairly reliably get a couple hundred more SP per battle, and will sometimes get like 1500 or more, that you can just give to any unit you want is a game changer for skill inheritance. A lot of things that were previously out of reach without insane grinding are now well within reach. Like it wouldn't even be that crazy to inherit something like Speedtaker and Lunar Brace on the same unit or something. Or you could actually inherit Hold Out to put on a Vantage/Wrath unit. And those are on the lower end.

Alas, even though some flashier combos are possible now, it’s still correct for basically everyone to choose Canter(+) and then one of the boring stat increase skills (especially Speed, any of the Power skills, or maybe Strength or Magic).

Lunar Brace is perhaps the most promising of the super-expensive skills, but it still really depends on having good stats otherwise, especially Speed, so that you can double and deal meaningful damage with braves. It might be good in combination with Marth, Roy, or Lyn.

Sword Power solves the main problem that magic Griffins (read: Chloe) had, namely that they couldn’t keep up with the kill thresholds the way a speed-boosted Mage Knight with a forged Bolganone could, so they couldn’t beat everything on enemy phase once the enemies grew strong enough. Now, the most mindless way to beat the game is probably to have Lucina!Alear @ Wyvern/Griffin spam bonded shield for Sword Power Griffin Eirika!Chloe, occasionally joined by the likes of Wyvern Kagetsu and Lindwurm Ivy.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 9, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoran posted:

Alas, even though some flashier combos are possible now, it’s still correct for basically everyone to choose Canter(+) and then one of the boring stat increase skills (especially Speed, any of the Power skills, or maybe Strength or Magic).

Lunar Brace is perhaps the most promising of the super-expensive skills, but it still really depends on having good stats otherwise, especially Speed, so that you can double and deal meaningful damage with braves. It might be good in combination with Marth, Roy, or Lyn.

Sword Power solves the main problem that magic Griffins (read: Chloe) had, namely that they couldn’t keep up with the kill thresholds the way a speed-boosted Mage Knight with a forged Bolganone could, so they couldn’t beat everything on enemy phase once the enemies grew strong enough. Now, the most mindless way to beat the game is probably to have Lucina!Alear @ Wyvern/Griffin spam bonded shield for Sword Power Griffin Eirika!Chloe, occasionally joined by the likes of Wyvern Kagetsu and Lindwurm Ivy.

Yeah I wouldn't bother with inheriting Lunar Brace on someone like Panette who's not going to double or quad no matter what you do. She's better off getting Dual Assist+ and sticking to a Killer Axe to one-shot things instead. Lunar Brace is for your units who are already fast enough to double and/or quad since it's going to be a big damage boost for them (units like Chloe, Lapis, or Kagetsu, not that he needs a damage boost).

I'd argue Dual Assist+ is more important than Canter(+) on any backup unit, but yeah I'm still putting Canter on all of my non-backups. The main difference is that now the ones who aren't inheriting Speedtaker or Lunar Brace can now afford Canter+ and Speed +5 instead of Speed +4 or regular Canter.

edit: and yeah I would definitely say Lunar Brace works best with an emblem that also boosts damage like Marth or Roy. That's the cornerstone of what I'm doing with Alear this run, using a Brave Sword with Lunar Brace and a Str+Spd boosting Emblem so he can quad and refill his engage meter extremely quickly. Though honestly I had totally overlooked Sword Power for some reason and yeah putting that on Eirika!Chloe would be a huge boost, definitely going to do that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 9, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i like throwing meals in the well in the early game because they get thrown out uneaten anyway. i do think spare weapons (which you'll get enough of by the midgame) are better once you're confident you won't need them though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Having 4+ people with canto before chapter 8, probably not balanced. Thanks, Well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tae posted:

Having 4+ people with canto before chapter 8, probably not balanced. Thanks, Well.

I just finished chapter 7 and went into the Tiki paralogue. Have:
Promoted Louis i
Promoted Chloe
Promoted Alcryst

All thanks to Relay trials lol.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I beat the game, the ending made me laugh it's so goddamn awful. 'Sombron just wanted to be loved by his emblem :(' is so loving funny. Then all the FE lords explode and Alear turns to the camera with 'uh... that just happened!' before smash cutting to credits. I'm loving losing it. After credits scene I just started giggling 'and then they went to disney land, the end.'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to workshop a dumb build idea I had: Vantage/Wrath Lindon.

In general, Engage is pretty careful to avoid giving you high crit weapons with 1-2 range. There's no Killer tome, and all the other Killer weapons are either 1 range or 2 range (Killer Bow)--there's always a dead zone where you can't counterattack.

But then there's Lindon's personal skill, which gives him +20 crit if he's using a lower ranked weapon than his target. By the time he's recruited, Elthunder meets that criterion for just about any enemy he'd face. With a +30 crit engrave and Wrath, that gets him up to 80% crit chance (before Dex/Luck etc.), which is pretty high but not high enough to rely on for a whole enemy phase.

Are there any sources of crit I'm overlooking? Looking at Lindon's support list he could probably get another 9 crit from support bonuses if he has an A support with both Alear and Boucheron and they're adjacent, but other than that I'm not sure what else can be done. I could give him an emblem that boosts his Dex but that's not a huge bonus to crit even with like +5 or +6 Dex.

It wouldn't surprise me if this build just isn't quite possible but it's close enough (and silly enough) that I sorta want to try it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
from my understanding the way to pull this nonsense off is soren on Spoiler Character 2, since the Dragon tag is mistranslated as 'double crit damage' when it's 'double crit chance', letting you hit 100% crit tomes very easily

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ungulateman posted:

from my understanding the way to pull this nonsense off is soren on Spoiler Character 2, since the Dragon tag is mistranslated as 'double crit damage' when it's 'double crit chance', letting you hit 100% crit tomes very easily

Yeah, that character is how to actually do it, though it only works while engaged (which is busted enough but still).

I'm mostly wondering if Lindon can achieve the diet version of that without DLC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I beat the game, the ending made me laugh it's so goddamn awful. 'Sombron just wanted to be loved by his emblem :(' is so loving funny. Then all the FE lords explode and Alear turns to the camera with 'uh... that just happened!' before smash cutting to credits. I'm loving losing it. After credits scene I just started giggling 'and then they went to disney land, the end.'

The ending had one great moment in Japanese man's ending slide: after the battle the mysterious Japanese man vanished without a trace never to be seen nah we're loving with you, he just went home to see his family and get his immigration papers in line. Dude totally came back here and partied it up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I still can't believe the ending slide everyone lived life to its fullest, or peacefully retired or died if they were old, except specifically Alfred, who died early and painfully.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I still can't believe the ending slide everyone lived life to its fullest, or peacefully retired or died if they were old, except specifically Alfred, who died early and painfully.

The devs want you to feel bad for not giving him the pact ring, because he lives a long life if he gets the pact ring and also has one of the sweetest and most romantic pact ring scenes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah well too bad he should've tried being cuter than Yunaka.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry, Citrinne was far too adorable not to s-rank.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Mauvier gets loving murdered by some random vengeful people after they recognize him as The Guy From the Wacky Warcrimes Squad

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It would gladly sacrifice my s ranks to get that perfect no death run

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Eh, Mauvier also disappears early on and he's not that old.

Also Panette was too good not to s rank.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yunaka also has a fairly sad ending if she doesn't get the pact ring, just kinda drifting off and disappearing and never really getting over her past

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestonJew posted:

Mauvier gets loving murdered by some random vengeful people after they recognize him as The Guy From the Wacky Warcrimes Squad

Hellioning posted:

Eh, Mauvier also disappears early on and he's not that old.

what no he does good deeds "into late life" and then disappears, with people speculating that he met a nasty end, that's hardly the same

Harrow posted:

Yunaka also has a fairly sad ending if she doesn't get the pact ring, just kinda drifting off and disappearing and never really getting over her past

Well in the correct ending, she becomes Alear's personal Hubert who uses her talent for imitation to aid them in ways that are deliberately not elaborated on and it rules.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what no he does good deeds "into late life" and then disappears, with people speculating that he met a nasty end, that's hardly the same

Well in the correct ending, she becomes Alear's personal Hubert who uses her talent for imitation to aid them in ways that are deliberately not elaborated on and it rules.

Vander's official age is supposed to be 45 so "late life" for Mauvier must be like, 6 months from the ending of the game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:hmmyes:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

The devs want you to feel bad for not giving him the pact ring, because he lives a long life if he gets the pact ring and also has one of the sweetest and most romantic pact ring scenes.

Coward move imo

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

Hmm

An excellent point.

gently caress him. *makes note to never give him the pact ring*

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its good Alfred dies young. Not in a "haha gently caress that guy" kind of way but that it makes a lot of his supports and stuff feel extra poignant. It's probably the strongest ending a character gets?

Also, feel like people be exaggerating how young he dies. He dies a few years into his reign and his Mum doesn't seem like she's dying or stepping down any time soon, so he probably sticks around for a good bit.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that character is how to actually do it, though it only works while engaged (which is busted enough but still).

I'm mostly wondering if Lindon can achieve the diet version of that without DLC.

Selph's S Rank bond ring gives a skill that gives +1 Crit after every critical hit, but it starts at +0 every map and caps at +10.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I only did Tiki and Veronica before continuing the main story

Yeah pretty sure the game even on maddening can handle level 6 promoted Lapis with 3k SP.

By chapter 8.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I was irrationally mad that this game didn't have paired endings.

That said, Alfred is extremely boring and and I have no idea why he was the #1 choice to be "guy who says stuff in cutscenes."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He’s good frankly. Got some cool stuff going on

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm not sure how to do the paired endings without limited support slots / S rank. Would they continue to accumulate points in the background and whoever has the highest gets them?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's how they did it in 3H.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Summoning with Alear is some wild poo poo. You just get a massively overstatted unit for free that immediately can move and attack. Even the 4 stars are pretty beefy, got a 4 star griffon rider that had 20 str/20 spd which is pretty good in chapter 8.

And I got Leif in chapter 9 that had 25 str.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Veronica is just tempting Alear into the power of the gacha.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He’s good frankly. Got some cool stuff going on

:hai:

Also I like Alfred and have posted before about how he’s good and useful but unfortunately he fell victim to the general scarcity that happens once you reach Solm. Deployment slots are at an all-time premium and it’s easy for units you like to fall through the cracks.

I had the same problem with Chloe, who only had good level ups but I dragged my feet on promoting her and with that + limited deployment she was relegated to the bench without me realizing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

:hai:

Also I like Alfred and have posted before about how he’s good and useful but unfortunately he fell victim to the general scarcity that happens once you reach Solm. Deployment slots are at an all-time premium and it’s easy for units you like to fall through the cracks.

I had the same problem with Chloe, who only had good level ups but I dragged my feet on promoting her and with that + limited deployment she was relegated to the bench without me realizing.

In general I'm glad to have less little things to fiddle with, but I would have liked the Three Houses Adjutant option, where you stick a few characters on your deployed units, they give minor bonuses and get experience.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly I feel like Alfred’s one of those units that look better than they are on paper than in practice. Like, it depends on your playstyle too I guess but for me he ended up being bulky but not super potent when it came to his one attack a lot of the tome; and also in that speed threshold where he’s not only never doubling but in danger of being doubled which offsets the bulk.

That said, Alfred is cool and my friend and even if I found Engage Hard/Classic engaging enough to never make me just fall into a pattern of just kinda phoning it in, it wasn’t hard enough that I was actively cursing myself for using him/Celine over, say Goldmary/Pandreo. I don’t think I ever especially got any use out of him being on a horse, which is a shame since “being on a wingless horse” is a thing that confers benefits in this game beyond movement. Are there any especially good Bond/Engage bonuses for mounted units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Are there any especially good Bond/Engage bonuses for mounted units?

Aside from Sigurd giving even more movement to cavalry units, not really. Cavalry does get the same 100% activation on Bonded Shield for the same unit type that fliers get, but that's much more useful on fliers than on grounded cavalry. Roy's Rise Above also gives +1 Move to cavalry, which is kind of neat.

I think IS was trying really hard to nerf cavalry in this game and perhaps went a bit too far. It's notable how few type bonuses cavalry get from emblems, and how the ones they do get are often less useful than the ones other types get. Even the cavalry Dragon Vein is one of the weaker ones, since it creates an awkward checkerboard pattern of avoid-nerfing water tiles that can be hard to affect a lot of enemies with. (And if you really need to debuff avoid with Corrin, Torrential Roar is right there.)