Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

do you suppose the snake just likes how the blanket feels so chose not to go anywhere
Maybe it's like a snake treadmill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHycwfA_PqU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Cow big.

https://twitter.com/FabulousWeird/status/1633467153814020102

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
too large to die

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Big moo

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hate to be That Guy but...

1) It's a he
2) He's a little big for his breed
3) He's surrounded by a much smaller breed

Still a good pic though

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://i.imgur.com/TNGn9nf.mp4

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/NomeDaBarbarian/status/1633868767720800256?s=20

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Yeah, apparently it's pretty common, in dogs, it was just horrible to see him go from perfectly normal to all twisted-sideways and hobbling :( He's is currently on a strict regimen of medication, light exercise and many many hugs :3:

After five days of rest, gentle exercise and painkillers, the boy with the hurty knee is doing a bit better.

He can now jump up into that chair by himself, is using the bad leg to walk on (albeit cautiously) and is feeling well enough to get angry that anyone besides himself sat in that chair.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This cow is on another level!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Crimson Harvest posted:

do you suppose the snake just likes how the blanket feels so chose not to go anywhere

that's what I like to think :kimchi:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Pookah posted:

After five days of rest, gentle exercise and painkillers, the boy with the hurty knee is doing a bit better.

He can now jump up into that chair by himself, is using the bad leg to walk on (albeit cautiously) and is feeling well enough to get angry that anyone besides himself sat in that chair.

Hooray for Henry! There *has* to be some sort of doggie physical therapy, right? Can we all pitch in to get him a pool and a submersible treadmill?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/2l9Co25.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Without sound on, this looks a lot more worrying, it doesn't look like it's in good fun, but then with the sound on the kid is giggling away.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Laughed so hard at the foot bite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever seen a cat do that with something other than a toy before, wonder if it's because the kid is small.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a cat do that with something other than a toy before, wonder if it's because the kid is small.

My cat does that to my dad all the time. Some cats just like to play a bit rough.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I used to wrestle a cat all the time it's fine so long as they aren't too old.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Sissel loves our new home. But she is having issues with the window above the desk. Earlier today, she decided she needed to explore the sewing machine box that was on top of a shelf and luckily for her, my head broke the tumble of cat and box. (Box was moved to the storage room. It’s not mine and I’m still in the process of organizing stuff that was stored here before we moved in)

Then, an hour ago, after daintily picking her way around my paints to get up to the window, she decided she did not need to look where she would land on her way down.

Of course she ran away from me right after she did it. I think another cat came to inspect the paint that splashed onto the floor, which isn’t a huge deal because I am ripping out the carpet anyway.

Sissel is not the clumsy one and has always been very thoughtful about not knocking poo poo off of anything she’s scaled.

Bored has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Mar 10, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Busket Posket posted:

Hooray for Henry! There *has* to be some sort of doggie physical therapy, right? Can we all pitch in to get him a pool and a submersible treadmill?

He's actually doing really well :)
Just this morning, he managed to jump up on to this chair for the first time since it happened:

It's a good 4 inches higher than the armchair, so that's a good bit of progress. He's due to go back to the vet in the next few days for his vaccinations and another check-up, so hopefully they'll be happy with his recovery.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I didn't realize Cousin It had knees :ohdear: Seriously though, good job lil' guy, feel better soon!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sweet geek swag posted:

My cat does that to my dad all the time. Some cats just like to play a bit rough.

Seconded. That looks like a happy cat wrestling an abnormally large and weirdly shaped kitten.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pookah posted:

He's actually doing really well :)
Just this morning, he managed to jump up on to this chair for the first time since it happened:

It's a good 4 inches higher than the armchair, so that's a good bit of progress. He's due to go back to the vet in the next few days for his vaccinations and another check-up, so hopefully they'll be happy with his recovery.

You shouldn't leave your toupee on the chair like that.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ElihbSM6ic

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kestral posted:

I didn't realize Cousin It had knees :ohdear: Seriously though, good job lil' guy, feel better soon!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You shouldn't leave your toupee on the chair like that.

He's even better this evening - did a lil scamper on his walk, even though he's not on painkillers any more. A mildly funny side-effect of his having been on twice daily meds for a week is that now he comes up to me at medicine o'clock to demand some kind of snack, since I was hiding his pills in cheese or little bits of meat. Apparently it's now the rule that he gets a little treat morning and night.

And yeah, he does often look like a grubby old wig.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just thought this was a really good photo of my ginger boy Tyrion.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
A very dignified man.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
You were correct!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I agree!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's one fuckin nice kitty!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What a handsome fellow.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I was coming here to post this.

The Kiffness is a goddamn internet treasure.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
The birb ain't so bad either. :lovebird:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Our quail have a chicken xylophone, because yes that's already a thing.

https://i.imgur.com/I0zwZm5.mp4

(I haven't been able to catch them on video playing it yet, but they do!)
This is from a while back but a kind goon in the "stupid question" thread suggested I check ITT, probably with you.

How hard is it to keep quail? Youtube randomly recommended me a video about hatching store-bought quail eggs and I thought that might be perfect for my parents. Their doggo passed away and my dad eats quail eggs because he thinks it's healthy or something so that could be a perfect fit to keep them entertained and also supplied with eggs.

E: missing word

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Mar 11, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

This is from a while back but a kind goon in the "stupid question" thread I check ITT, probably with you.

How hard is it to keep quail? Youtube randomly recommended me a video about hatching store-bought quail eggs and I thought that might be perfect for my parents. Their doggo passed away and my dad eats quail eggs because he thinks it's healthy or something so that could be a perfect fit to keep them entertained and also supplied with eggs.

I'm BVV's wife, and the person who inflicted quail on him. Your dad is right - quail eggs are more nutritious than chicken eggs, by weight.

Quail are super easy. They will need an enclosed run and a coop, like you see in the video; they are too small and dumb to free-range like chickens. Fortunately, they don't need a ton of space, either. In the enclosure, you will need food (super cheap at Tractor Supply Co), water, and a place to dust bathe, such as a tray with play sand. Most people keep them in hutches with wire bottoms so the poop falls through - we use cheap horse bedding in the hutch and sod in the run to give ours a more 'natural' experience, and they are easy to swap out for cleaning. I'd say that work-wise, they are similar to keeping a pet lizard.

Store-bought quail eggs will likely hatch 0-1 chicks. You're better off buying sexed chicks from a farm. Check CraigsList, you likely have some quail enthusists selling dirt-cheap birds nearby. If not, there's some places that will ship fertilized eggs or sexed chicks to you. We've had good luck with Southwest Game Birds and Myshire Farm.

You will need multiple hens, both to produce enough eggs, but also to keep them sane and happy, as they are flocking birds. 5 hens and 1 rooster is a good starting point. Roosters crow, but its very soft and unlike a chicken crow; your neighbors probably won't even notice. Ours rarely do, and we have a dozen roos.

For thread content, here is one of our 2nd gen hens, Silverbolt. She likes to sit on my shoulder, so we chill in the screened-in lanai and play Switch. She is very, very soft and round.

ETA: If you have PMs, feel free to message me any time for quailchat!

Dienes has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Mar 11, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

I'm BVV's wife, and the person who inflicted quail on him. Your dad is right - quail eggs are more nutritious than chicken eggs, by weight.

Quail are super easy. They will need an enclosed run and a coop, like you see in the video; they are too small and dumb to free-range like chickens. Fortunately, they don't need a ton of space, either. In the enclosure, you will need food (super cheap at Tractor Supply Co), water, and a place to dust bathe, such as a tray with play sand. Most people keep them in hutches with wire bottoms so the poop falls through - we use cheap horse bedding in the hutch and sod in the run to give ours a more 'natural' experience, and they are easy to swap out for cleaning. I'd say that work-wise, they are similar to keeping a pet lizard.

Store-bought quail eggs will likely hatch 0-1 chicks. You're better off buying sexed chicks from a farm. Check CraigsList, you likely have some quail enthusists selling dirt-cheap birds nearby. If not, there's some places that will ship fertilized eggs or sexed chicks to you. We've had good luck with Southwest Game Birds and Myshire Farm.

You will need multiple hens, both to produce enough eggs, but also to keep them sane and happy, as they are flocking birds. 5 hens and 1 rooster is a good starting point. Roosters crow, but its very soft and unlike a chicken crow; your neighbors probably won't even notice. Ours rarely do, and we have a dozen roos.

For thread content, here is one of our 2nd gen hens, Silverbolt. She likes to sit on my shoulder, so we chill in the screened-in lanai and play Switch. She is very, very soft and round.

:tipshat: thanks very much! Sounds fascinating but I'd have to talk to them first if they'll need to build a whole coop and run :) I also found the chicken thread in PI so I'll take any follow-up there not to derail this further.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/cincinnatizoo/status/1634554934631735304?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mobby_6kl posted:

:tipshat: thanks very much! Sounds fascinating but I'd have to talk to them first if they'll need to build a whole coop and run :) I also found the chicken thread in PI so I'll take any follow-up there not to derail this further.

Yeah chicken thread is great for quail, too! There are at least two other goons with them in there I think.

I'll just add the coops we had were just on Amazon, quick and easy to assemble. We just added extra wire underneath the run part so nothing can burrow in (we had rats burrowing in our shrubs a while back) and put the sod over that. I'm sure it's more expensive than building one but it's a lot quicker. I'm not sure where you live but placement is important; we needed to be sure they won't be stuck in direct sun during the summer here in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/lqECztp.mp4