Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I remember first discovering him when he wrote a long form article for Rolling Stone about the impending 2006 midterms. It was good stuff, and then like you said, his writing on the housing bubble and the ensuing financial crisis.

Then his brain broke checks cleared. Shame.

He isn't getting paid for the Twitter files, he's working for exposure here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

How long do you think it will take until this town is also overrun with bears? :tbear:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
God, I had forgotten about that stupid loving hat

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

kdrudy posted:

He isn't getting paid for the Twitter files, he's working for exposure here

so does he expose himself to Elon, or vice versa

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Jesus fuckin' christ you idiots. We gave up that right after using it in the Civil War and then crawling back after losing.

Also, gently caress off back to California Elon. All you goddamn outsiders rushing here and trying to turn the place into what you want it to be are ruining Texas.

lmao yeah man that’s the problem with Texas and not Texans themselves for sure

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Edit: Just posted this and already found some news that's much stupider:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1633856452971450371?cxt=HHwWhsC-1bLyz6wtAAAA

White South African guys have decided to create their own towns in the past and lemme tell you, they aren't very accepting places

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this thread is the one that alerted me to his belt buckle - you'll see him wearing it everywhere, even on that halloween costume he is so proud of. it's supposedly a cheap tourist trap belt that he proudly wears everywhere to prove he's very american i guess?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
He's like a 13 year old with their favourite bracelet/hat/ring/identity substitute

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So who's got money on this town ending in the FBI shouting via megaphone for them not to all drink the Commune Kool-Aid like Musk says to so they can join him to start over "On Mars"?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Gotta admit, getting a kick out of this..

A laid-off Twitter manager, who was one of Elon Musk's most loyal employees, tweeted 'cruelty is the worst' in an apparent dig at the tech mogul

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-twitter-esther-crawford-cruelty-is-the-worst-thorleifsson-2023-3?amp=

Esther Crawford, a Twitter manager who was widely seen as one of Elon Musk's most loyal employees before she was laid off last month, tweeted "cruelty is the worst" on Tuesday in what other users have seen as a possible dig at her former boss.

Elon Musk publicly clashed with Haraldur Thorleifsson, a former Twitter director, on Monday. After Thorleifsson tweeted that he was unsure of his employment status, noting that he had been locked out of company systems, Musk accused him of using his disability as an "excuse" to do "no actual work" — The Twitter CEO has since apologized for his comments and said that Thorleifsson "is considering remaining at Twitter."

Crawford tweeted on Tuesday that "cruelty is the worst," without providing further context. She also liked some tweets about the incident, including one from Thorleifsson describing the effects of his muscular dystrophy, another one about him opening a restaurant, and one saying that he "doesn't deserve this abuse."

Crawford had been known for her unwavering loyalty to Musk and was seen as an embodiment of his "hardcore" work culture. She was photographed sleeping on the office floor and reportedly defended Musk's first round of mass layoffs.

But last month, Crawford was let go from her role as director of product management as part of mass layoffs that affected the product team, among others, according to multiple reports. Though both Twitter and Crawford didn't respond to Insider's request for comment on the nature of her termination, Crawford has updated her Twitter bio to say that she no longer works at the company.

Platformer reported that Crawford had been among the managers included on a "do not fire" list.

Crawford had been criticized online for her dedication to Twitter and Musk.

"The worst take you could have from watching me go all-in on Twitter 2.0 is that my optimism or hard work was a mistake," she tweeted shortly after her departure from the company.

Other people getting fired? That's okay! She gets fired and it's such cruelty!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i am 100% in favor of cruelty towards the kinds of guys who make and publish a whole fuckin article out of a tweet. and not even an interesting tweet

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So who's got money on this town ending in the FBI shouting via megaphone for them not to all drink the Commune Kool-Aid like Musk says to so they can join him to start over "On Mars"?

like he's gonna splurge on brand-name Kool-aid. that's not how billionaires stay billionaires :agesilaus:

dude'll be, like, mixing chlorine bleach with a wheelbarrow full of boxes of those store-brand flavored lemonade powder packets meant for bottled water

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

"@Elon Sorry to keep tweeting at you but it seems like maintenance isn't responding to requests and I here they've all left or been fired? Anyway, the smart Tesla Sink keeps catching fire and crashing into children, somehow."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sentient Data posted:

A) nowhere in that letter did it say he was re-tested or even if an A+ score is particularly unusual
B) with a scope that broad, the test very well could have been "ok, now show me how to use a computer to put these 9 data points into a spreadsheet. Now for your programming test, use LOGO to make this turtle solve this 5x5 square maze"

It literally was something like that. I'm a bit younger than Elon, and when I was in upper elementary, our IT classes were literally very basic computer usage, "make a picture of a slide with MS Paint, start the text processor and write a letter to your grandma" and our programming classes were literally Logo.

That turtle was cute as gently caress, and my friend and I who were turbo nerds and therefore way too advanced for those classes had fun coming up with interesting ways of breaking Logo.

But yeah, this is literally something anyone here could've accomplished because you know how to turn on a computer and type.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/1593739211194400769

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember taking a computer course in high school that was basically "here are the various styles of memo that you can create" and "here's how to use the format painter in Word" and "we're going to practice typing now". They had some old rear end software that would measure your typing speed and when all of the students were done it was supposed to print out a bar graph with all of the students scores, well I had already been touch typing for ages by that point so I could more effectively shitpost in chat rooms and AIM, so it printed this bar graph with 1 super long bar and a bunch of little stubby ones. The teacher made us take the test again because she thought the software had just hosed up lmao

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can only read that line as venomously sarcastic, and from the tone of the article, I'm pretty sure the author intends for it to be read that way.

Sorry for bringing this back all the way from seven pages ago, but:

My old job involved me writing about social media and various phenomena related to it, including Musk's takeover of Twitter.

I was expressly forbidden from writing "judgmental" statements about Musk. Judgmental statements included sentences such as:

"Musk's wave of layoffs drew widespread criticism from online safety experts, labour organisers, and politicians such as congresswoman Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez"

"In response to Musk sacking nearly his entire moderation team, advertisers started leaving the company in droves, citing safety concerns."

"Following Musk's takeover, the usage of racial slurs shot up."

All of these are statements of fact, sourced from respected news organisations, but that didn't matter. My old boss was a man of Conviction™, and his Conviction™ overruled any sort of editorial experience I would have. That he was Convicted™ of extremely stupid, easily disproven things was irrelevant — he was determined to never buckle the boat under any circumstance, and "buckling the boat" included even the slightest suggestion that Elon Musk was not the genius he portrays himself as. He insisted on a "balanced" view because "the truth always falls in the middle" or somesuch nonsense. Despite not being able to construct a compound sentence, he would make increasingly inane editorial decisions; I would have to drag my other boss into long and pointless discussions where I would have to defuse every single one of his "suggestions". It got to the point where we'd devote a full day to discussing a single sentence. He made it impossible for me to get any work done unless I complied.

Having worked for over a decade under This Sort of Dipshit®, I have come to believe that people become managers because they're useless at any kind of actual work. This inherent incompetence is what makes them perfect marks for the type of bullshit people like Musk are selling, and that's why every writer in the tech sphere, God save our souls, has to treat "the metaverse" and "web3" and "the AI revolution" like sensible ideas worth serious consideration.

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 10, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

when i was a teen i changed the desktop wallpaper of a few school lab PCs to that of an error message warning of imminent shutdown, i was summoned to explain how i hacked the computers and to fix them back. so i think i need to be in control of a social media empire now. make me admin jeff

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

when i was a teen i changed the desktop wallpaper of a few school lab PCs to that of an error message warning of imminent shutdown, i was summoned to explain how i hacked the computers and to fix them back. so i think i need to be in control of a social media empire now. make me admin jeff

you have my vote

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

armpit_enjoyer posted:

"In response to Musk sacking nearly his entire moderation team, advertisers started leaving the company in droves, safety concerns."

Despite not being able to construct a compound sentence

:elongate:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Ups_rail posted:

huh I thought republicans werent down with anything gay.

They aren't, but they're super into rape though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SatansOnion posted:

like he's gonna splurge on brand-name Kool-aid. that's not how billionaires stay billionaires :agesilaus:

dude'll be, like, mixing chlorine bleach with a wheelbarrow full of boxes of those store-brand flavored lemonade powder packets meant for bottled water

Interesting Fact: They didn't use Kool-Aid at the Jones Town massacre.
It was done with a cheap Kool-Aid knock off called Flavour-Aid.

Though even more interestingly "Drinking the Kool Aid" might have its origins from a book decades before the Jones Town massacre.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

They aren't, but they're super into rape though.

Rapepublicans if you will

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/junlper/status/1633848279736655873?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Look, I wrote that before breakfast and I was so hungry I ate an entire word

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I like the guy in the replies who's twitter sub ran out in early february but still has the checkmark lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tight aspirations posted:

Bloody hell. That's most of your daily calories, isnt it?

Not necessarily.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So is there any avenue for victims of Jan 6 or the government to sue or press any sort of charges against Elon, Tucker and/or Twitter for all the Jan 6 fake news conspiracy poo poo if right wing nutjobs end up acting on it somehow and causing further harm or harassment? I mean like how the Alex Jones suit went down, because I feel like he's leaned into that territory at this point.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How much money have you got? Because it'll be extortionate.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I pay $8, why is no-one paying attention to me? :argh:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jelly posted:

I've been using these for years and they're awesome. Hate all you want!

Stop flushing wipes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

I pay $8, why is no-one paying attention to me? :argh:

Looking into it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Having worked for over a decade under This Sort of Dipshit®, I have come to believe that people become managers because they're useless at any kind of actual work. This inherent incompetence is what makes them perfect marks for the type of bullshit people like Musk are selling, and that's why every writer in the tech sphere, God save our souls, has to treat "the metaverse" and "web3" and "the AI revolution" like sensible ideas worth serious consideration.

Peter Principle

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This, but my friends and I discovered the magic of netsend.

Did you know school administrators hate it when you send a message over the network saying the school server is on fire, and that everyone should evacuate the building immediately? The funniest part about it was they could never figure out who did it, but they correctly guessed which group of shithead kids did it. So they basically told the entire Cisco networking class to knock it off or there would be serious consequences.

A friend about an hour later sent another Netsend that just said "OK". The consequences ended up being they pulled our internet access for about a week.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Take a screenshot of the desktop and then set it as the background and hide all desktop icons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

Take a screenshot of the desktop and then set it as the background and hide all desktop icons.

But first arrange icons by penis

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

mobby_6kl posted:

first?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Breetai posted:

I used to work with a dude who was like a ninja at that. You could bend down to tie your shoe and when you sat up, none of your icons would work and he'd be looking over at you shiftily.

I once hit a dude with the ol' CTRL+ALT+[DOWN ARROW]. I didn't even think anything of it until he came back and I hear muttering and things moving. Dude was in the process of rotating his entire monitor (it was a CRT even though it was like 2012 when this happened).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

E: fuckin beaten aaaah

Too blatant. The true move is to screenshot the desktop, set it as the background and hide the icons and folders via shenanigans. Ties em up for longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mobby_6kl posted:

There is no arrange by pe.... gently caress someone did make that bat file