Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I refused to play The Forest because I ain't killing no rabbits. :colbert:

Also, my partner and I sometimes go to our local nerd convention as the RE4 chainsaw man and Leon[a], respectively....it's going to be extra fun now that the remake is coming out soon. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

sponges posted:

I still pine for those old school Survival Horror games. Maybe the gameplay and mechanics are fundamentally dated and only existed in the first place due to technical limitations and lack of experience. I don't care. Give me fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, tank controls and nonsensical puzzles.

i had a really good time with alisa

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1335530/Alisa/

its just recently had its final update that added a variety of costumes (some of the games costumes are actually gameplay altering which is cool) but ive never had a re clone hit me so hard in the puzzle nuts. every one of them, totally solvable as soon as you step up with the right pieces but ill be damned if im not standing there for 20 minutes moving books around a shelf or stones on a pillar trying to solve it without a youtube. the resource trade off combat, the otherworldy dialogue, the cool resdent evil mansion but not? are all things that draw me right back before i run away remembering how long it took me to solve the first move blocks puzzle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The forest was pretty fun but I never really figured out what I was supposed to do so me and a friend built a lovely makeshift houseboat and just sailed around the island

It was kind of a good spooky move to have the monster guys sometimes attack you and sometimes just stare at you and run off but it was too goofy and janky to really take it seriously

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

The forest was pretty fun but I never really figured out what I was supposed to do so me and a friend built a lovely makeshift houseboat and just sailed around the island

It was kind of a good spooky move to have the monster guys sometimes attack you and sometimes just stare at you and run off but it was too goofy and janky to really take it seriously

Ah, Miasmata did that, if I'm remembering right. That game was dope!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friends and I played The Forest for the first time yesterday and I gotta say, goofy as it is, the way the cannibals circle you, hooting and giggling, while attacking and leaping past you, it's pretty unnerving.

Also I guess the plane crashed directly in the path of a patrol or something because by the first night we were set upon by half a dozen enemies and got stomped (well, two of us did, the other had fallen off a cliff and was slowly swimming around trying to find a beach)

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished Kuon this weekend.

It's... a very strange game. Not in an interesting way. I don't think I'd say it's particularly good, either.

There's some pretty cool things going on with camera angles, but the enemies are pretty basic yokai and the story is pretty basic. I'm awful at this kind of game but I had no trouble with all the spell cards the game handed out. Not to mention the (as far as I can tell) unlimited healing ability you get? It's pretty bizarre.

I think I'd say it's the most forgettable retro horror game I've played.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Friendly reminder that the first official English language release of Fatal Frame/Project Zero 4 is out at the end of this week.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Shastahanshah posted:

It's... a very strange game. Not in an interesting way. I don't think I'd say it's particularly good, either.

There's some pretty cool things going on with camera angles, but the enemies are pretty basic yokai and the story is pretty basic. I'm awful at this kind of game but I had no trouble with all the spell cards the game handed out. Not to mention the (as far as I can tell) unlimited healing ability you get? It's pretty bizarre.

I liked the reasoning behind why everything was happening (using a magic spell to live forever, not understanding that it's a spell meant for silkworms), but yeah, it's not a good game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There's a quite good LP of it in the archive, though!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Shastahanshah posted:

Fatal Frame is my favorite survival horror series, but Kuon is my favorite individual horror game. :allears: I have absolutely no ability to defend it, I can see that it's a "meh" game, but dammit, I have such a soft spot for it.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bogart posted:

I liked the reasoning behind why everything was happening (using a magic spell to live forever, not understanding that it's a spell meant for silkworms), but yeah, it's not a good game.

Oh yeah that was a cool twist.

Read After Burning posted:

Fatal Frame is my favorite survival horror series, but Kuon is my favorite individual horror game. :allears: I have absolutely no ability to defend it, I can see that it's a "meh" game, but dammit, I have such a soft spot for it.

Fatal Frame is coming up on my covid retro game tour!

I've finished the numbered Silent Hills, Resident Evil 1-6, Rule of Rose and now Kuon so I'm trying to decide what to play next. The main contenders right now are Fatal Frame, Siren, Echo Night, Parasite Eve and Illbleed. Some other stuff too I guess but I purposefully haven't looked at like, Clock Tower because I've already got another 3 years of games lined up lol.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shastahanshah posted:

Oh yeah that was a cool twist.

Fatal Frame is coming up on my covid retro game tour!

I've finished the numbered Silent Hills, Resident Evil 1-6, Rule of Rose and now Kuon so I'm trying to decide what to play next. The main contenders right now are Fatal Frame, Siren, Echo Night, Parasite Eve and Illbleed. Some other stuff too I guess but I purposefully haven't looked at like, Clock Tower because I've already got another 3 years of games lined up lol.

Play illbleed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mr E posted:

Play illbleed.

*unintelligible gibberish*

"Hmm, you raise a good point. Maybe he did have a motive?"

Edit: My friend and I read the Illbleed LP when it was first written and we still quote stupid poo poo from the Killerman level back and forth.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 7, 2023

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr E posted:

Play illbleed.

You have no idea how much I'd love a modern release

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sexy dolls and and a guy disappearing (but nobody cared because he was a loner anyway)

definitely a goat

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Illbleed is a loving weird stupid game with pretty bad mechanics but also I cannot help playing it once a year and loving most of it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Any thoughts on The Chant? It's on sale for 50% off

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty mid, while I liked the idea of weaponised new age bullshit like essential oil grenades, it never really decides whether it wants to be actual survival horror or action horror, is pretty shallow gameplay and story wise and ends just as it's getting going.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fatal Frame 4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse should be out now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm holding out until a swamp dweller from this forum reviews Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo.

Released yesterday. Published by Square Enix but it isnt overpriced. A horror-themed visual-novel thing.

https://www.rpgsite.net/review/13874-paranormasight-the-seven-mysteries-of-honjo-review

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Bit hurt that Carrier never gets recommended.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm holding out until a swamp dweller from this forum reviews Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo.

Released yesterday. Published by Square Enix but it isnt overpriced. A horror-themed visual-novel thing.

https://www.rpgsite.net/review/13874-paranormasight-the-seven-mysteries-of-honjo-review

Playing it now, just started so can't really give an opinion. The art style and the spookyness attracted me to it, VN's aren't usually my genre

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Disposable Scud posted:

Bit hurt that Carrier never gets recommended.

Hard to recommend something five people played

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Fatal Frame 4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse should be out now.

My partner and I are house-sitting for my in-laws at the end of the month, and we've got this game on tap for that weekend. :getin:

Mr E posted:

Illbleed is a loving weird stupid game with pretty bad mechanics but also I cannot help playing it once a year and loving most of it.

The helicopter ladder(s).... :sigh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Heads up, RE4 Remake demo is live :woot:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1633964488490909697

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh hell yeah, i know what i'm doing after work

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I just started it now so I can't give too much of an opinion on it yet, but in the setup in the beginning it hints at some fourth wall breaking stuff when the Storyteller character asked me "It would feel strange without knowing your name. Please tell me what I may call you." I typed in my real name and he immediate responded with "I see. [steam account name] is it?" and when I clicked 'No' he was like "...Oh! How rude of me. Please pardon my mistake! I was sure that's what you said, but it seems I was wrong. What came over me...?" and then started addressing me by the name I entered.

The CRT display choice is kinda cool too. It sort of curves a bit at the edges and gives it a subtle warped breathing aesthetic.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 10, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah I'm really digging the aesthetics and set up so far. Already got my first bad end too and I just got to where you choose locations lol

I also really like the cinematography, for lack of a better word. It's not a static game, for what I was expecting of a VN

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah I maybe got a little to quick on the thoughts because it's bending a lot of conventions visually. The first person you talk to once the game starts proper tells you to look around a bit to get your bearings and it initially seems like a standard 2D person talking to you stands in front of you presentation that visual novels have, but if you spin around the person is standing way closer to you as soon as you turn away. I'm playing with a controller with the vibration turned on too so as soon as you see her standing so close it rumbled as if the protagonist was surprised them suddenly being right in their face.

I might try actually playing a good bit more before commenting on it more because I feel like it's going to do a lot of unusual stuff with the presentation.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 10, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ooh, y'all discussing this has added it to my Switch wishlist.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's very good. It's basically the beginning of the game up to the point where the bell tower rings. Already surprised with how much they expanded the game, really looking forward to the full experience.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does it seem like RE4 will be leaning more towards horror, like RE2, or action, like RE4?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does it seem like RE4 will be leaning more towards horror, like RE2, or action, like RE4?

it’s a shockingly close recreation of RE4’s action despite the fact that you can now move and shoot. all the old muscle memory was kicking in

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've beaten REmake 1-3, VII, and Village but could never touch 4 because I found those shouting Spaniards too intense and scary.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1365776812425420800?s=20

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I suspect the village and castle sections will be extremely similar to the original, but I'm curious what subsequent areas will be like.

With the inclusion of knife parrying and finishing stabs (seeing Leon run up to a grounded enemy and just stab them in the fuckin' neck was wild) I imagine it's going to feel a little more actiony, but I think with the better graphics fidelity they'll be able to create a much more creepy environment overall.

Edit: Annoyed that it's looking so good. I was content to wait on this until there was a sale or something but now I'm itching for its release and I've already got so much I want to play :(

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Not gonna lie I was hoping for a more horror vibe

They brought horror back with 7 but made 8 actioney and re4make seemes to have held on to the more actiony parts of itself. We'll see, but not a day 1 for me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Not gonna lie I was hoping for a more horror vibe

They brought horror back with 7 but made 8 actioney and re4make seemes to have held on to the more actiony parts of itself. We'll see, but not a day 1 for me.

I don't think they could've done that and kept the same game. RE4 is characterized by fighting large groups of infected enemies (not zombies, for the first time), Leon making one-liners, and over-the-top villains that aren't just mad scientists and whatnot. Even the presence of the shopkeeper makes things a lot less horror-y as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the more horror-themed RE games, moreso than most of the others, but I think when it comes to RE4, they couldn't have it any other way without making a different game entirely.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imo RE4 only really keeps its more intense survival horror elements for the first hour. I'd say that the end is probably the cabin fight with Louis, which happens pretty early. Relying on the old control methods is living in the past since the latest RE games have shown us that you can do a straight up FPS and still have it be good survival horror by just tuning down the resources so that you are just barely making it by most of the time; they could do that here if they wanted to.

But at the same time a lot of what people remember past the first hour are really actiony pieces. The lake fight, taking down bosses with a rocket launcher, most of the game is pretty bang bang bang. If they change the game to make most of it better then I'm sure it will be fine. They have done a great job on the remakes so far.

I mean RE4 doesn't take itself that seriously at most times. This is the game where "Ashley now wears spats" is something that exists for a reason in the remake that we're not going to discuss on this Christian forum.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Unrelated to RE4, for some reason as of late I've been getting youtube recommendations for a game and it's sequel called Fear and Hunger, and it's looks like a very interesting pair of games that I don't ever want to play.

They're basically very difficult turn-based Lovecraftian RPGs dealing with people that enter situations that are far darker and more cosmic than they could've imagined. Combat is often lethal, with an emphasis on strategy since different enemy body parts can be targeted in combat to different effect, including dismemberment. This also applies to attacks against you. Losing a leg means you're slowed, losing two means you're crawling, and no, you can't just bandage that up. At this point you're pretty screwed, but lose anything more and, well...

You have to deal with your constantly-draining hunger and mental status as you progress through the games, sometimes chests will have no loot at all (there's a coin flip whenever you search them), and enemies, who don't respawn, don't give any xp or anything so often avoiding combat is preferable. Oh you have limited saves, too. The first game uses consumable items to save, the second doesn't, but advances time when you save and there's only so much time available.

The games are dark and mature, but from what I've seen it's (mostly) justified. There aren't, like, buckets filled with bodyparts just sitting around to be edgy, but there are some hosed up situations and the game contains a content warning at the beginning for good reason. The first, set in a sprawling medieval dungeon, is probably worse for this. The second, set in a town that's been driven mad by the moon, is a little better, but there are some parts that are dark as hell.

Anyway the games are just really interesting due to that cosmic horror feel that something much greater is going on behind the scenes that takes a lot of reading between the lines to puzzle out. It makes me interested in the plots and the details, but not enough to get through the difficulty, because these are games meant for you to fail again and again until you gain the knowledge to know where to go and what to do without losing everything on the way. I wonder if this is what people who are interested in the Souls games, but not enough to play through their frustration, feel like?

Also the second game has 8 choosable characters, each with their own set of skills, and one of them is a botanist on a wheelchair that she needs to fold up in order to climb stairs, which is a unique mechanic I've not seen elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the entire castle segment is basically an r-rated Tom and Jerry skit