Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I think I liked the sports mascot civilization a bit more than this last storyline just because it was so much weirder, but I'm down for fantasy sequences that are actually happening.

Transmodiar posted:

Prince Valiant-est

:lmao:

Schwarzwald posted:

Now I'm actually wonderin' if I even LIKE kings, man.

Yeah royalty? Not so hot actually

I really love this panel

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 04, 1956)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I'm honestly fine with Crabgrass officially breaking from reality as it opens the door to a lot of cool story arcs (he just needs to work on pacing things out a little better)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Casually aggravating this hosed up bear to show the child what it's like.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Phantom

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Surely he has to hit to third because his Demon Gimmick is to outrun a bunt being thrown in? Or am I missing something.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/9/03

Brenda Starr 7/23/50

Yeah, Pima's back.

Smokey Stover 5/24/53

Everyday Movies 3/13/36

"Yes, he's in, but he's in a very bad humor today -- he's making out his income tax. Do you still want to see him?"

(Tax Day was March 15 for a few decades before being moved to April 15 in the 1950s.)

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/19/41

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

The Phantom

I appreciate this, thank you.

drat the look on her face.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Crap, I never found a good place to mention this, but longtime threadmates might be pleased to know that Stephanie McMillan has just put out a new edition of her Minimum Security longform story Resistance To Ecocide ($30 for print version, $5 for the PDF (although she's marked that option as "payment optional")).

She made a few adjustments to the previously printed version from Seven Stories Press. For instance, she added back the ripped-from-the-headlines commentary that I semi-affectionately called the "nag ticker" back in the day, and went back to remove some unconsciously ableist elements that she deeply regrets now (hell, don't we all). She also made some revision choices to tidy up the art a bit and clarify a few story elements.

And yet...one of those clarifications is that Otto doesn't have an accent anymore. (noooooooooooooooooo)

(compare and contrast)

You might remember I bailed on my repost project a few years ago when my post loads got a little bloated, so this is a good way to revisit the whole story and atone for our past sins contribute to a creator whose legend looms large in the thread.

Awesome, that'll be fun to see again (even if it is a George Lucas-style special edition now).

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I mean, there was that arc about the underground civilization of sports mascots, so this isn't really *new* for Crabgrass, just kind of a codification of it being a thing that happens once in a while.
That was more ambiguous, though. Somebody tried to go back to it and it wasn't there, and such.

I guess now we know it definitely happened, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

The Phantom

:lol:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

readingatwork posted:

I'm *really* not sure how I feel about this but I trust Tauhid enough to roll with it for now. At the very least it opens the door to some potentially cool stuff.

How about you just sit back and enjoy the funny, clever, well-drawn comic?

Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tauhid is really really good at kid friendship comics and really really bad at writing pastiche Saturday morning superhero cartoon comics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tauhids worst strips are still in the top 1 percentile of all strips. May those who complain about him be cursed to an eternity of rose is rose and the adventures of bill.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forthright-In-Her-Misgivings

Skippy (April 18, 1935)

Peanuts (March 12, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 25, 1989)

Crankshaft, powered by 120% pure Boomer energy.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 10, 1939)

Out Our Way (April 10-12, 1941)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Crimestoppers Textbook
...also stay away from side streets (where Criminals catch unsuspecting Victims,) and major thoroughfares (Where Criminals congregate to gain safety in numbers.) Buildings of all kinds, really (Criminals could be in or around them and catch you unawares at any second.)

Criminals could also hide behind anything; mailboxes, cars, rocks.

So you've decided to jog in an open field? That's the worst mistake of all, now you're exposed and Criminals can come at you (defenseless) from any direction.

The Crimestoppers Textbook solution to be safe from all crime, forever? Kill yourself. (That way, a Criminal can't kill you first, and you win.)
You fool! Now you're dead and in hell, and you know who goes to hell? CRIMINALS. You'll be gang-mugged for every drop of karma you've got and dumped into the Styx.

goatface posted:

Casually aggravating this hosed up bear to show the child what it's like.
Pretty sure that's a Krampus. This is exactly the sort of reckless behaviour they try to punish kids for, and the historical sport of Krampus-baiting we see here would eventually lead to their extirpation from most of Europe.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 10, 2023

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

The Phantom

I wish I could angle the text better

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 2023: SNORT! SNORT! PL-U-T-T!

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Medenmath posted:

I think I liked the sports mascot civilization a bit more than this last storyline just because it was so much weirder, but I'm down for fantasy sequences that are actually happening.

This, plus the mascot story has some nice bonding moments with Miles' dad.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CommonShore posted:

Tauhids worst strips are still in the top 1 percentile of all strips. May those who complain about him be cursed to an eternity of rose is rose and the adventures of bill.
People are allowed to enjoy something and also acknowledge its weak points. It's a healthier relationship with media than a binary "it's either 100% flawless or 100% worthless trash" attitude, imo.

The storyline was fun, creative, and well-drawn! Having Kevin be defeated by calling his mom was hilarious! It just also needed to cut out about half of the buildup to get there.

Considering how snappy the pacing usually is in Crabgrass(see: the mascot storyline), I'm assuming it's just growing pains and not the doom of the strip.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mascot world (also the earlier thanksgiving Girls Day Out the moms and sister had that took place over the course of a morning & afternoon that involved going to like ancient tombs and stuff) probably didn't set people off not just because it was tighter paced but also probably because it involved less... everything. It as basically just the dad's misadventure. See also: No one really cares that every halloween a haunted doll fucks with the Forths (she even cameo'd a few weeks ago), or the two times Hil went into the past and met a forest giant that gave her a polaroid of her future.

Meanwhile super villain kevin escalated harder, longer and involved a chunk of the school and faculty into also being super heroes. Easy to see why it felt weirder.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft, powered by 120% pure Boomer energy.

"I'm sick of people taking sides in the court of public opinion"

:rolleyes:

Shut up, old man. They're not wrong that nobody ever changes their mind in a Facebook argument, but "court of public opinion" is one of those phrases that screams 'douchebag opinion incoming' to me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Abandon the week-long story arc paradigm.

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

A bottomless pit would be handy for many situations.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

He is also thinking about Wham.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

All a woman needs is a man to fix her life.

Andertoons

:smith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

loving Captain Planet had more nuanced villains than Mark Trail

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Parts of Kevinmind were good but it was both too long AND somehow rushed the good bits, like why introduce all the superpowers kids and then not draw more action shots, or even show half of them in those shots? :v: Yeah Crabgrass is good but everybody felt things drag. Justice for Reptile Kid.

Laughing my rear end off and loving it every time Popeye introduces some new jackass animal.

Into is kind of a jerk here but I think 80% of the people he meets try to kill him for no reason so he's still pretty mellow in comparison.

My Lovely Horse posted:

loving Captain Planet had more nuanced villains than Mark Trail

I was just thinking about it because this week is unusual for Trail, especially after the last month. A lot of what makes Mark Trail suck is that even if you forgive the art 100% it has very bad writing too. Usually. The art is nice since we switched to Cherry but anyway continuing Ernest's rivalry with Cherry and writing them as angry humans with different values who want to be petty to one another... well, it beats anything Mark has done yet with total morons and psychopaths who do things because they're robots on a script in very poorly written stories. Cherry also had an actual good conflict(briefly, and almost stupidly) when worrying whether or not to tattle on the affair and now she has actual consequence to her decision.

Odds are this trend of quality will nosedive soon but uhh, I'm enjoying this since we swapped to Cherry? Weird. OK, enjoying this as much as I could a perfectly average strip. Panel 2 to 3 dialogue is actually pretty good!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 10, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

~Coxy posted:

Surely he has to hit to third because his Demon Gimmick is to outrun a bunt being thrown in? Or am I missing something.

Nah, if you place it right you can bunt down the first base line. There's a happy little middle ground where the ball gets past the pitcher before he can snag it, but it dies before it gets to the first baseman, so he has to come way the hell off the bag to field it - runner slips in behind him
This, but with a little more heat on it
https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/rzn6y8/the_batter_was_thrown_behind_so_he_dropped_a_bunt/

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Medenmath posted:

I really love this panel
Glad you like it! Some of the Ansu stuff just looks nice

B. Virtanen

"Little Hitler" is a phrase that at least used to be sometimes used here of power-hungry, abusive etc. superiors and such.

ANSU

Fingerpori

Pyydän tuomaan (sen) tänne = I'll ask to bring (it) here
Tuomas = Finnish male first name, equivalent to Thomas
Tuomaan = inflected form of Tuomas, means "of Tuomas" or Tuomas being the object of a verb
Pyydän Tuomaan tänne = I'll ask Tuomas here

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 10, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

CommonShore posted:

:hmmyes:

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
really starting to understand the finnish national stereotype of not liking small talk. the risks must be enormous

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Luann will one day be a Golden Girls style sitcom but they'll all still have the emotional range of a 14 year old.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

thisusedyet posted:

Nah, if you place it right you can bunt down the first base line. There's a happy little middle ground where the ball gets past the pitcher before he can snag it, but it dies before it gets to the first baseman, so he has to come way the hell off the bag to field it - runner slips in behind him
This, but with a little more heat on it
https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/rzn6y8/the_batter_was_thrown_behind_so_he_dropped_a_bunt/

fun fact this is the game right before the 10c beer night riots

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

F Minus

A bottomless pit would be handy for many situations.

:smith:

Or maybe not totally…
https://www.tommoody.us/archives/2015/03/17/he-y-come-on-ou-t-a-short-story-by-shinichi-hoshi-translated-by-stanleigh-jones/

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Drive-By Suckin' On Pig Tits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/23/50

Archie 10/3-5/46

Jug, you were the one who suggested Archie try out for the Philomathians in the first place.

Hope you folks like football, because we have several weeks of it coming up.