Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wow machiko, why so homophobic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
smh Machiko I thought you were better than this

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Owl at Home posted:

This is the 2nd time I've read up to this point on Dicebox and I still can't make heads or tails of it. I think I might just be stupid or something

Molly has weird precognitive visions, and the scene is from her perspective. The origin of the visions has yet to be explained, so you aren't missing anything there.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

SimonChris posted:

Molly has weird precognitive visions, and the scene is from her perspective. The origin of the visions has yet to be explained, so you aren't missing anything there.

That part I get, it's the 'yet to be explained' part that's bugging me. We're on, what, page 400 something? Has there been any kind of hint or lead-in as to what the stakes of her visions even are? The author has spent so much time fleshing out these characters so far and yet I feel like I can't sum up what their intentions or goals are. But maybe it's written that way intentionally? Or maybe it went over my head? So much of the story ends up feeling that way.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Owl at Home posted:

That part I get, it's the 'yet to be explained' part that's bugging me. We're on, what, page 400 something? Has there been any kind of hint or lead-in as to what the stakes of her visions even are? The author has spent so much time fleshing out these characters so far and yet I feel like I can't sum up what their intentions or goals are. But maybe it's written that way intentionally? Or maybe it went over my head? So much of the story ends up feeling that way.

"Stakes", "intentions", and "goals" will be introduced in book two. The next update will be the end of book one.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

PYF Comic: "Stakes", "intentions", and "goals" will be introduced in book two.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ditocoaf posted:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ditocoaf posted:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Owl at Home posted:

To me, it just mostly reads as vibes. We've got a fair sense of Molly and Griffen's personalities and a rough idea of what it's like living in this society. Or at least what it's like for two drifters who are going around picking up odd jobs here and there to keep going. We learned some while back that Griffen seems to have been an important government official at some point and still has access to the database in a manner that she shouldn't and has largely flown under the radar so far. But it seems now that some authority figures have some suspicions of what's going on and that's probably not great for Griffen. As for Molly's visions, nothing's really been explained. Whether it's precognitive or tapping into some spiritual/supernatural layer beyond the material, we don't really know. But it certainly does seem ominous, especially here

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

Hothead Paisan reminds me a lot of certain people in the queer community I know who spend a reaaaaal lot of their time talking about how much they hate dicks. People who are ostensibly NOT terfs, are in some cases trans themselves, but are so fixated on specifically hating penises that they become really questionable. Her pattern of driving herself into a complete outrage by specifically exposing herself to media that will make her upset, becoming furious at absolutely everything in the world, gearing up to go outside and do something about it, then doing nothing and staying inside instead to repeat the pattern, is also really familiar. It's interesting to look at it with a modern eye

I think Hothead Paisan has more of an excuse since it was written at a time when society had barely begun recovering from the 80s (in the sense of the HIV epidemic and the societal backlash it spawned with the enthusiastic support of the government, not just "haha 80s how cringe".) I'm sympathetic, but not without some difficulty.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

This story's the only one for now. The author expressed interest in doing more with the characters someday but that hasn't gone anywhere yet.

are you gonna post Clown Corps next? i found it absolutely delightful, despite not being a finished work, there's plenty of content. (if you dont post it i will)

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ditocoaf posted:

Actually make this the title for every single ongoing comic thread in the entire forum, thanks in advance

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

are you gonna post Clown Corps next? i found it absolutely delightful, despite not being a finished work, there's plenty of content. (if you dont post it i will)

No. I have one more completed work by the same author and then I'm back to my usual.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

lol

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

I think Hothead Paisan has more of an excuse since it was written at a time when society had barely begun recovering from the 80s (in the sense of the HIV epidemic and the societal backlash it spawned with the enthusiastic support of the government, not just "haha 80s how cringe".) I'm sympathetic, but not without some difficulty.
Yeah, it's understandable. It wouldn't have gained as much popularity if it didn't resonate with people. It's just funny seeing how certain threads of conversations and attitudes evolved over the last few decades. People who were more mad about dicks than men turned into terfs. Who could've seen that coming?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Swan Boy

I agree with Swan Boy

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rona dressed up as a five-piece band is an amazing panel

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah, it's understandable. It wouldn't have gained as much popularity if it didn't resonate with people. It's just funny seeing how certain threads of conversations and attitudes evolved over the last few decades. People who were more mad about dicks than men turned into terfs. Who could've seen that coming?

I think it has as much to do with the hatred of femininity as a concept as it does hate for the anatomical dangly bits. I think it's telling when you see things like Paisan's "Look, I'm in drag!" when she puts on fishnets and heels. On one level it's just a joke about how out of place this getup is on Paisan, but it's also quite explicitly a statement that real women do not wear these things: feminine clothing is an artificial construct thrust upon women by the patriarchy, so the women who wear these things are at best brainwashed gender traitors and at worst imposters.

You're probably onto something, though, considering their spiritual successors have gladly jettisoned that part of the philosophy and made common cause with people celebrating femininity "for the right people" in the name of warding off the evil penis.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

This is a good thread. I haven't felt this nestled in injokes since high school. It's a good feeling.

Emzedoh posted:

Cyborg candy dispenser :o

Well, that's it for Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance, the end, no moral, hoped you all enjoyed reading it.

quote:

Tom Knight and the Lisp Machine
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.

Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”

Knight turned the machine off and on.

The machine worked.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Previously on Opplopolis: an Opple?!

WHATEVER SORT OF CREATURE YOU MAY BE - GOD OR GIANT - I DEMAND THAT YOU SPEAK TO ME!
I'LL NOT BE DISMISSED, drat YOU! I'VE COME FOR ANSWERS AND I'LL HAVE THEM.

also lmao at tiny Pangolin background arm-flapping in panel four

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Tiny Pangolin demands to talk to the manager of the universe

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

RandolphCarter posted:

Swan Boy

I agree with Swan Boy

Wait a second...

edit: timg'd because rain dong

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Mar 10, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

I think it has as much to do with the hatred of femininity as a concept as it does hate for the anatomical dangly bits. I think it's telling when you see things like Paisan's "Look, I'm in drag!" when she puts on fishnets and heels. On one level it's just a joke about how out of place this getup is on Paisan, but it's also quite explicitly a statement that real women do not wear these things: feminine clothing is an artificial construct thrust upon women by the patriarchy, so the women who wear these things are at best brainwashed gender traitors and at worst imposters.

You're probably onto something, though, considering their spiritual successors have gladly jettisoned that part of the philosophy and made common cause with people celebrating femininity "for the right people" in the name of warding off the evil penis.

It's all of the above, I think. People coming to the same conclusions that shun a particular group instead of fighting for the core agenda of queerness: creating a society where people are free to form whatever relationships they want and no one gives a poo poo if you're performing gender the right way

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Haven't posted anything in a while and I was just talking about the Freak Brothers, so here's a random Freak Brothers short from 1982. If you don't know who they are, they're three guys who live together, take a lot of drugs, mainly (but not exclusively) weed and get into wacky adventures. Nothing is learned and the status quo is inevitably returned to at the end of every story. They were published from 1968 to 1992 with a couple of small strips after that; the best story imo is 'The Idiots Abroad', the last and longest of the regular stories. Maybe I'll get to that eventually if anyone wants it. Anyway, here's 'Burned Again'.

(Oh, and for the love of god don't watch that animated series that went out a year or two back, it's terrible.)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I enjoyed that a lot :D

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Footnote: Ehh, y'all are smart, you get it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Emzedoh posted:

Wait a second...

The comic also calls back to Swan Boy's beehive hairdo fetish. Swan Boy's continuity is strong!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

swan boy consistently wants to gently caress a rockabilly deer (not because she's rockabilly but because of the hairstyle)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Wasn't he also super into elves?

Edit: How the gently caress do elves work in a world where everyone is a funny animal?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Wasn't he also super into elves?

It's mutual; one of the old Elven cities in Tolkien's work is Alqualonde, the Swan-haven.
(there are meant to be two dots over the "e" but I don't know how to do that)
And a famous Elven fleet was towed by swans.

KennyMan666 posted:

OH I GOT IT

Yeah I figured that it could be ^ while shaving so

Presenting the completed thing, spoilers obvs

Figured out the yellow letter solution too but not gonna mention it even in spoilers.

Yes I like crosswords.

You madman, you did it. (But yes it's meant to be the word JoJo spread across two clues.)
Couldn't work out how to fit Hark A Vagrant in there, sadly.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Mar 10, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

OH I GOT IT

Yeah I figured that it could be ^ while shaving so

Presenting the completed thing, spoilers obvs

Figured out the yellow letter solution too but not gonna mention it even in spoilers.

Yes I like crosswords.

I missed this, well done!

Tree Bucket posted:

It's mutual; one of the old Elven cities in Tolkien's work is Alqualonde, the Swan-haven.

OH poo poo

Edit: Oh man, there's Galadriel's swan boat, too.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Weird to see a Fingerpori pun that actually works better in english.
Yeah, it's silly, but I guess in part a result of how commonplace English is in Western cultures.

ANSU

Fingerpori

Pyydän tuomaan (sen) tänne = I'll ask to bring (it) here
Tuomas = Finnish male first name, equivalent to Thomas
Tuomaan = inflected form of Tuomas, means "of Tuomas" or Tuomas being the object of a verb
Pyydän Tuomaan tänne = I'll ask Tuomas here

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Mar 10, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Gonna do some evening-time posting of stuff from the other thread. Here's part 1 of

Wine Ghost Goes to Town

(by Sage Coffey: https://sagecoffey.com/wine-ghost-goes-to-town)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Becky Bishop and the Case of the Whistleblowers

The end! No moral!

Just kidding.

And with that, we're done with Becky Bishop and her plucky teen detectiving ways. The author has expressed interest in revisiting these characters, but nothing's been done yet. Hope you liked it or at least didn't find it too painful to scroll through.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Becky Bishop was a fun story, thanks for posting it!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Close Your Eyes,

Look at the Mountains!

This update is exceptionally cute. And Isabelle’s head appears to have gone from cube to round, where it will remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Emzedoh posted:

Well, that's it for Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance, the end, no moral, hoped you all enjoyed reading it.

There's something existentially terrifying about having a literal off switch. Even as a kid, it bothered me so much that Data from TNG could be toggled like a light.