Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

... part of me wants to give it a shot as someone who bounced off of Minecraft's survival mode several years ago. Should I go vanilla or mod in the "essentials"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

widespread posted:

... part of me wants to give it a shot as someone who bounced off of Minecraft's survival mode several years ago. Should I go vanilla or mod in the "essentials"?

Flowchart for this question

IF you hate yourself
- go vanilla

ELSE
- mod it

The mods technically make the game easier but that's like saying that climbing a mountain is easier if you wear shoes. Its not a matter of "survival games are supposed to be hard", it's "if you don't use this you may never actually proceed past the stone age"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

eh it's not that bad

prospecting kind of sucks though. took us forever to nail down some tin, got real unlucky with the spawns

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

widespread posted:

Go vanilla, play until you have a feel for it, then restart after you get all the mods you want and enjoy a fresh start with a lot more knowledge and better QOL. (Or don't restart, most mods are pretty easily drop in/pull out.)

IMO this is the best way so you have a better idea of what mods you actually want/need as you're scrolling through them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You want one of the many "craft sticks from wood" mods.

I think at least half of all VS mods are a direct result of people looking up the modding documentation to fix their lack of sticks and using their newfound knowledge for something else.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

You want one of the many "craft sticks from wood" mods.

I think at least half of all VS mods are a direct result of people looking up the modding documentation to fix their lack of sticks and using their newfound knowledge for something else.

Let me amend my post to say play vanilla but with a stick mod, then get the others.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm a crazy person, but I generally find I get too many branches once I tech up to unlock shears and can harvest them from tree branches efficiently. Just shear the tree before chopping it and you'll get a chests full of branches.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hope the RC/stable releases don't take as long as they did last version. I'm really excited to play the update.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hope the RC/stable releases don't take as long as they did last version. I'm really excited to play the update.

Yeah - I originally was like "I'm going to wait for the official release" but its been like a day since I saw the update and I'm already like, "It's probably fine, right?"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

But mods!

Prospector Info!!!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But mods!

Prospector Info!!!

gently caress

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I agree that for the most part vanilla is fine, but a lot of the things get tedious, so I have a few mods going. I'm on the latest 1.18.pre.3 and ProspectorInfo does work at least, along with a few other QoL/convenience mods I like - here's what I have now and assume it's all working but haven't actually gotten to testing everything:
- bullseye
- reignite / "canbeignited" to relight torches
- darker drifter spawns to make them less likely to spawn near me, honestly i hate drifters.
- drop resin anyway (if you chop a tree with resin)
- longer burn time
- oven fuel (peat / wood)
- Pottery Wheel because after the third or fourth vessel that's enough.
- Prospector Info (4.1.2)
- tiny tweaks (specifically for the firewood-to-stick and letting you run up single-block heights instead of always mashing jump)
- tree tapper

And actually the feature I wanted in the game, and only recently found in a mod and is SO USEFUL:
- ZOOM BUTTON

And thanks for the tip about the oar, I built one, but now must answer the question "Dude, where's my raft?"

Koobze fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 4, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If thats the same pottery wheel mod I tried recently it takes so long to make anyways that I can do it faster manually on most things. Especially for things like vessels where most of the work is just "Copy previous layer" anyways.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I tried to last one day, but uh man I need to a) prioritize getting a torch asap, and b) I should learn how to make a shelter in the event of spawning in on a rainstorm.

That said, I did learn to trim branches off first. Made a knife and axe. Stabbed a salmon to death since fishing isn't fleshed out yet. And learned that raw fish fills you more than cooked fish... by about 20 units.

And no, heads =/= tools. Wasted two Cooper's Reeds learning that. With that said, would it be advised to go for a cover type of shelter first? Just so I can at least protect my fire?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

widespread posted:

I tried to last one day, but uh man I need to a) prioritize getting a torch asap, and b) I should learn how to make a shelter in the event of spawning in on a rainstorm.

That said, I did learn to trim branches off first. Made a knife and axe. Stabbed a salmon to death since fishing isn't fleshed out yet. And learned that raw fish fills you more than cooked fish... by about 20 units.

And no, heads =/= tools. Wasted two Cooper's Reeds learning that. With that said, would it be advised to go for a cover type of shelter first? Just so I can at least protect my fire?

Yeah, you'll probably want to build a small dirt hut to shelter your fire and give you a place to put a bed to sleep through the night. You can worry about something nicer after you survive the first few nights.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My biggest tip for early survival is to find some clay and make yourself a bowl and a cook pot ASAP. Cooked meals are a huge boon, not only do they fill more of your food bar than the raw ingredients they also disable the food bar from draining for 30 seconds for every 100 satiation worth of meal you eat (So if you eat a meal worth 1000 satiation, you get 5 minutes of no satiation drain and can run, jump, and use tools all you like without worry).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Protecting your fire only takes a single block above it, so my time honored tradition is a 3 block high dirt pillar supporting a 3x3 area which utilizes jump entrance points to deter drifters from gathering at a door. A single dirt awning protects my fire pit and torchlight, and single layer dirt wall prevents stone throwing drifters.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My ~aesthetic brainworms~ refuse to use raw dirt blocks for such purposes past day 1 emergency shelter. Thankfully mudbrick, haybales/thatch, and rough fences provide low tech alternatives.

Am I the only one who likes to spend a few days in the beginning preparing basic essentials (stockpile of flint, poultices, a cookpot and bowl, at least one or two Hunter packs, hopefully enough twine to make a simple bow, etc) and then live a nomadic life, trying to find a lovely spot to build?

Honestly though when I start my next game up for 1.18 I might just creative in some basic kit and cooper tools to partly skip the initial Stone Age a bit. I’ve done that a few times already.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My ~aesthetic brainworms~ refuse to use raw dirt blocks for such purposes past day 1 emergency shelter. Thankfully mudbrick, haybales/thatch, and rough fences provide low tech alternatives.

Am I the only one who likes to spend a few days in the beginning preparing basic essentials (stockpile of flint, poultices, a cookpot and bowl, at least one or two Hunter packs, hopefully enough twine to make a simple bow, etc) and then live a nomadic life, trying to find a lovely spot to build?

Honestly though when I start my next game up for 1.18 I might just creative in some basic kit and cooper tools to partly skip the initial Stone Age a bit. I’ve done that a few times already.

I spend my early days fairly similarly to you. Running around gathering basic supplies to make wicker baskets, lots of flint, backpacks if I'm lucky, seeds. Marking down surface nuggets I find, ruins, traders, clay, etc, all while looking for a place to live. I kinda like the idea of using creative early to fly around and pre-gen a fair chunk of world and get my bearings since, like you, I'm kind of over the very initial stages of the game.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I tried the nomadic lifestyle for 10-20 days my last play through and really enjoyed it as compared to settling close by to spawn, so I'll do the same next go around. However, I think you've got it right in making some initial supplies for... maybe 10 days? and then heading off. Having a few prospecting picks would be really great to have in choosing a future spot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I was thinking like an iron knife (making knives is such a drag), cooper axe, pickaxe, and a couple prospecting picks, lantern, a few spare copper bars (I have a mod that lets me smelt them back down to cast molds if needed), linen sacks, pot, bowl, a crock, maybe a handful of vegetable and flax seeds, some linen squares that immediately get used for clothing repairs. Maybe a simple bow and a few copper or bronze arrows (I play Hunter and use the Bullseye mod).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I probably should ask. Is panning a worthwhile endeavor? One block of gravel/sand = 8 shots at maybe a nugget or two of metal without tools.

And then secondly, hoo boy the charcoal making process feels like it wants me to deforest the map for like a few bits. Any advice?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't forget you can make cob with dirt and dry grass, should help to get a lot of early building blocks without expending too much stamina, which is important early on when your food sucks. It also helps with my "don't build a minecraft dirt cube" brainworms so I can use it to build a little hobbit shack into a hill early on.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Honestly you only seem to need 4 or 5 chunks of coal to get your stuff melted so you really dont need a lot.
If you know what your doing and what you need, you shouldnt burn through coal all that fast.

a good tall tree from a pine forest will provide enough wood for a 2x2 block of charcoal too

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Oh. Well that leads me to another question: where do I place the pit/sealing blocks? Like, on a 3x3x2, it has a center. But a 2x2x2 doesnt.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

widespread posted:

Oh. Well that leads me to another question: where do I place the pit/sealing blocks? Like, on a 3x3x2, it has a center. But a 2x2x2 doesnt.

It doesn't matter as long as you meet the minimum size without counting the pit block. I usually put it on top of a random block.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

widespread posted:

I probably should ask. Is panning a worthwhile endeavor? One block of gravel/sand = 8 shots at maybe a nugget or two of metal without tools.

It can be useful if you're waiting on other processes like clay firing or some metal to cool down, totally. Decent way to get gears, gems and arrowheads over time.

I also like to get one of the sluice mods and let it work on a couple stacks of gravel for me as I wander around.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Even without a sluice mod (which I do use), panning is quite worthwhile if you've got inside time. During those first few months when at night I can't really go adventuring (extinguishing my torch when I inevitably fall into water or when my weapons/health are too low to wander), panning can provide a decent amount of materials. Sand/gravel can get you to copper tools reasonably well, and bony soil can be really great if you hit onto the RNG (so I always try to find the bony soil associated with ruins). I like to build my first hovel (after the dirt pillar) with a single water tile at an edge.

Bony soil can sometimes give you chain or plate armor pieces which can be chiseled into metal pieces - sometimes even bronze! - but even getting two nuggets of silver and gold isn't too tough and can get you a black bronze pick if you've already seen some quartz with gold/silver or iron out in the wild. You'll even happen upon temporal gears with bony soil, and copper spearheads are frequent enough you can have a decent weapon and many backups. With the use of solder, you could get the needed inputs for silver solder as well.

You can deforest to fill a charcoal pit, but you don't have to have a 7x7x7 pit. As long as you harvest the leaves you'll have ample saplings to re-plant a reasonable 2x3x2 pit.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

If you want, do a 7x7x7 once to say you did it and then don't bother again, I had SO MANY misfires doing mine because oops I missed one log

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man a 3x3x2 pile produced so much charcoal I was set for at least an in-game year. I can't imagine how long a 7x7x7 pile would last (or how many axes would be lost to the cause)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

While looking for tin in the ground i came across a mountain with tin in the freakin walls

we gettin bronze baybeee! :c00l:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
oh man this looks fun, I've played a lot of the TerraFirmaCraft minecraft mod. so much fun prospecting for a deposit and setting up mine shaft supports to avoid collapses

is this affiliated with the TFC devs? like it's basically just a standalone TFC from what I can tell?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
By the way, a trick for saving up on coal (I think it's been mentioned before but it bears repeating) is to pre-heat with cheaper materials (wooden logs or peat are good options) until you reach the maximum temp of those fuels (800-900 °C I think?) and only then start feeding it coal. It might only save you one or two pieces of coal per firing, but it really adds up!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Woof, making iron stuff is a little more complicated than id thought it be

Thought id be able to use the copper anvil for it.
Will i have to put this iron bloom back in a bloomery to work it or could i heat it another way?

drat though, digging down and seeing an iron deposit might be the most excited ive been in a video game in a long while.

"You have found the brown rock" :woop::woop: :woop:

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 10, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dammit just give me 1.18 already

We just finished our big session in last october but now with all the upcoming changes I'd be up for another go. But we're waiting for a proper release to get everyone on board.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Woof, making iron stuff is a little more complicated than id thought it be

Thought id be able to use the copper anvil for it.
Will i have to put this iron bloom back in a bloomery to work it or could i heat it another way?

drat though, digging down and seeing an iron deposit might be the most excited ive been in a video game in a long while.

"You have found the brown rock" :woop::woop: :woop:

It's a whole thing. Your best bet is to watch a video, but I'll try and answer from memory.

Once you have an iron bloom, you put it in a smelter, the same thing you put copper bars in to heat them up to work on an anvil. Then you pound two(?) iron blooms into a bar on an anvil. A lot of things you make iron with you want to use an iron plate as the starter for, so you combine two bars into a plate. Then you do normal smithing on a bronze or better anvil from there.

I think you need an iron anvil to make something, maybe steel? And that's a whole process too.

At the iron stage, you benefit a lot from setting up a wind powered helve hammer to hammer blooms into something useful.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

LLSix posted:

It's a whole thing. Your best bet is to watch a video, but I'll try and answer from memory.

Once you have an iron bloom, you put it in a smelter, the same thing you put copper bars in to heat them up to work on an anvil. Then you pound two(?) iron blooms into a bar on an anvil. A lot of things you make iron with you want to use an iron plate as the starter for, so you combine two bars into a plate. Then you do normal smithing on a bronze or better anvil from there.

I think you need an iron anvil to make something, maybe steel? And that's a whole process too.

At the iron stage, you benefit a lot from setting up a wind powered helve hammer to hammer blooms into something useful.

Cowabunga it is, then

TeaJay posted:

Dammit just give me 1.18 already

We just finished our big session in last october but now with all the upcoming changes I'd be up for another go. But we're waiting for a proper release to get everyone on board.

Whats all gonna be in 1.18?

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 10, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Cowabunga it is, then

Whats all gonna be in 1.18?

Here's a bit of a list from earlier, don't know if there's a more recent one:

https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/10595-v1180-pre1-lore-update-the-resonance-archives/

Improved World generation probably the biggest thing to expect for me.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LLSix posted:

1 iron bloom per bar, unless you screw up and hit off too much iron. Iron bars can be used to make tools. Iron plates are for some things as well.

I agree that the biggest thing should be setting up a helve hammer to do the iron bloom cleaning for you. You can aim your hammer hits at the slag (black parts) and note that each hit removes any slag connected on the same level as the one you hit. 5 or 6 whacks with a hammer to clear the big easy deposits, then back to the forge to watch the next bloom heating. You can get a setup going where 2+ forges feed into 1 hammer and you're just the transfer gizmo, or one where you have two anvils and are working on iron toolheads while the next bloom is processing on the automated setup.

And yeah, iron anvil for steel or meteoric iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TeaJay posted:

Here's a bit of a list from earlier, don't know if there's a more recent one:

https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/10595-v1180-pre1-lore-update-the-resonance-archives/

Improved World generation probably the biggest thing to expect for me.

That and the decorative beams. Those are the big ones for me. They can make even simple box buildings look nice:

And if you're willing to put in more work than that, they can make things look amazing:

All of these are screenshots from the VS Discord.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 10, 2023