Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s deck verified so I guess Valve think it’s fine but the internet at large has been griping about it’s performance on pc in general since it came out.

Apparently there’s some serious stutter issues or something that have yet to be fixed, and I can’t imagine playing it on the deck’s stripped down hardware will make that any smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
anyone had problems with decky just sort of disappearing? i'm about to reinstall it for the third time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are tricks and such, but generally Hogwarts runs at low/medium at 45

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s deck verified so I guess Valve think it’s fine but the internet at large has been griping about it’s performance on pc in general since it came out.

Apparently there’s some serious stutter issues or something that have yet to be fixed, and I can’t imagine playing it on the deck’s stripped down hardware will make that any smoother.

Ok, I guess I’ll just clean house and try it out. One thing that frustrates me is searching for a topic like this and finding posts with 30,40,60 frames locked titles but then it involves downloading ini files, inserting all kinds of launch options, turning everything to low, and then you will only see those frame rates in certain areas. The steam deck has created its own genre of click bait.

I’ve seen it discussed in this thread but can’t find it now, do demanding games usually benefit from being installed on the ssd vs sd card? I have the 256 so I may be able to fit this along side midnight suns on it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

They got the weight and size just right somehow. Like it feels substantial without being unwieldy or burdensome, and compact without giving the sense that it will break if you grasp it too hard.

Really just an impressive piece of machinery all around.

this might sound weird, but an location-adjustable weight of a couple grams could help some people. unfortunately you can only design a thing for one hand size/shape. if you have lady-sized hands the buttons are located fine, but the weight of the device is in an odd location somehow. and you have to bear weight with your middle knuckles and pinky, it's awkward. hence the breastfeeding pillow, which should come with the high end model. oh here's an idea: a stylish pillow-cvm-carryingcase satchel. they could sell it gendered: one is a breastfeeding pillow for gamers, and the other is a gaming pillow for breastfeeders. does anybody else feel weird if you say "breastfeeding" more than twice? does anybody want to help me co-op beat the pontiff in dark souls iii?

*if your hands are the size of an actual lady use an xbox controller

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

loudog999 posted:

Ok, I guess I’ll just clean house and try it out. One thing that frustrates me is searching for a topic like this and finding posts with 30,40,60 frames locked titles but then it involves downloading ini files, inserting all kinds of launch options, turning everything to low, and then you will only see those frame rates in certain areas. The steam deck has created its own genre of click bait.

I’ve seen it discussed in this thread but can’t find it now, do demanding games usually benefit from being installed on the ssd vs sd card? I have the 256 so I may be able to fit this along side midnight suns on it.

there is little difference between using the sd card and ssd

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sell me a Steam Deck vent candle.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

anyone had problems with decky just sort of disappearing? i'm about to reinstall it for the third time.

You on the beta branch? It disappears pretty much every time Steam updates.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also all premium devices should come with a case this nice.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RandolphCarter posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring up the Steam and … menus? I’ve been playing mostly docked lately
Ctrl + 1 (Steam menu) and Ctrl + 2 (... menu) work in SteamOS itself but not in game for some reason.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s taking me awhile to get used to holding this thing. I’m so used to eagle-clawing handhelds, it’s weird to hold one that has the ergos of a controller.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Rolo posted:

It’s taking me awhile to get used to holding this thing. I’m so used to eagle-clawing handhelds, it’s weird to hold one that has the ergos of a controller.

Just wondering, when you hold yours and squeeze on either the left or right side do you hear creaking from the plastic? I don't remember if mine did new out of the box or not.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The back bumpers suck and I hate using them. Give me another trigger instead!

Note: I like that they're there, I'm just saying I don't like pushing them. It's like, I don't know, the leverage sucks?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I got in the new dbrand case and not sure if I like it. I wanted something with an easy to attach face plate cover and it works for that but it's awfully tight. Taking it on and off I worry about breaking something.

The reinforced corners are good for whenever my cats inevitably knock it off something, but I do worry it's making it run hotter. Maybe I've just been running more intense games lately but it's been getting very warm

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I got my deck at Christmas and vent smell is all but gone. Cherish it while you can.

Might have to RMA it just for new smell.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

jokes posted:

The back bumpers suck and I hate using them. Give me another trigger instead!

Note: I like that they're there, I'm just saying I don't like pushing them. It's like, I don't know, the leverage sucks?

I always push them around the 'crease' on the grip and they're much easier to push there, almost like a grip button on a VR controller. They're a bit inconsistent because they're big buttons with a bend in the middle trying to push down a little tact switch in the machine itself so they're easier to push in some places than others.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I haven't changed my boot animation because I never shut my deck off. Yall really shutting it down all the time?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Harminoff posted:

I haven't changed my boot animation because I never shut my deck off. Yall really shutting it down all the time?

Yeah sleep mode all day. That's the best part about it, pick back up instantly and why the switch was so great when it came out.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

The occasional restart does help, but it launches the boot animation when you go back to gaming mode from desktop and I do that fairly often.

This is my current and probably forever boot video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/y2wbm2/my_dreamcast_homage_custom_boot_animation/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I shut it down if I’m not gonna be using it again that day, because if I end up not getting back to it for a few days or longer and the battery is drained when I go to play it again I’ll be sad.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How do the No more Hero games run on the deck

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vlaphor posted:

The occasional restart does help, but it launches the boot animation when you go back to gaming mode from desktop and I do that fairly often.

This is my current and probably forever boot video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/y2wbm2/my_dreamcast_homage_custom_boot_animation/

Needs the fan noise and VMU beep

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I use the Futurama boot video.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

also, the obvious drive noise whenever anything happened. Played Skies of Arcadia on it and you could tell when a random encounter was about to happen by the sound of the drive spinning up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

True, but even missing that, man am I taken back.

How big are these videos? I only have the Ghostbusters one installed, but I'm thinking of having a few to randomly play. Dreamcast, Seinfeld, GB, maybe the xbox and 360 ones.

I assume these videos are pretty small, just wanted to make sure. The H.264 codec does wonders.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

RandolphCarter posted:

Yeah this is the right one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

It happens a lot. When Decky updates sometimes it won't reload until I restart the Deck, but sometimes it'll just take a minute to reinitialize or something after updating. If you're on the Preview and Beta channels of SteamOS though Decky will be broken with almost every update and you'll probably have to reinstall it just to get it to show. It's annoying and I don't suggest being on anything but the Stable branch if you use Decky a lot.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what do yall have vibrant decky set to

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

The first and only thing I’ve added so far.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah sleep mode all day. That's the best part about it, pick back up instantly and why the switchvita was so great when it came out.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Super No Vacancy posted:

125, let's not go crazy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah sleep mode all day. That's the best part about it, pick back up instantly and why the switch was so great when it came out.

How much percent do you lose in like a night of sleepy time?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

hadji murad posted:

The first and only thing I’ve added so far.

If I'm being honest, seeing that was a possibility (that specific video) is what finally made me decide to buy a deck.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Shame Dead Cells still shits up the audio on wake

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Same thing seems to happen with Darkest Dungeon, I wonder if it’s because it’s native Linux instead of a proton port.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squiggle posted:

125, let's not go crazy

:same:

edit: We should turn this into a poll.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Talorat posted:

Same thing seems to happen with Darkest Dungeon, I wonder if it’s because it’s native Linux instead of a proton port.

you play that? how the hell do you press the buttons to make the things work? it's broken on deck

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

125, let's not go crazy

I haven't installed it on purpose

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

Started at 125 but slowly was easing it up until I think I got near or to 150 before getting control of myself and stopping. I think I have it at 130 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Talorat posted:

With Dead Cells, when you turn it back on it pauses for the "Steam Sync" screen or whatever. The length of that screen is about the length of the audio delay.

Really surprised they didn't fix it with the latest hot fix.