Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

I thought a lot of that was Disney losing out on cricket broadcasts. For their last quarter the domestic subscriber base grew.

Yeah, it was this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Subscriber growth, but huge financial losses.

Chapek was apparently making it look less bad by hiding a lot of the losses in other departments.

We should have seen the signs when the Gorillas Gone Wild issue of National Geographic somehow cost $10 billion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disney never should have bought The Gorilla Channel

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like I’m still waiting for an MCU Andor. Something that makes everything before look bad by comparison.

So far I feel Netflix Daredevil came closest to this. I mean, it didn't, but in terms of "holy poo poo this seems real" it's the closest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my heart says she hulk because it's just way different than anything else mcu while also being better than most everything else, but loki is probably the closest to andor in that respect imo

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disney never should have bought The Gorilla Channel

It was a calculated move to keep DC from getting it, they're crazy for gorillas.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm totally ok with getting lots and lots of content, but one thing they definitely need to fix that this seems like it will is teasing too much stuff. The stingers were great when they were teasing the next movie or building to the big events, but now it feels like they're just tossing out too many threads. When is Hercules showing up again? Are we going to see Starfox or Black Knight do anything, ever?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think people have become weirdly obsessed and short sighted about teases. Like Starfox theoretically will factor into the next Eternals/cosmic thing. Black Knight was implied to factor into Blade. Hercules just got mentioned. They’re all post credit stingers. It’s not like major energy was invested and threads were left dangling.

But I do think slowing down the pace makes sense. It’s clear that they kind of packed everything too tight and then kept falling over themselves when one delay forced more delays and stuff airing out of order in a way that didn’t directly matter but sort of tonally did. And then there’s the over rushed CGI and fists thing and whatever audience or budget overkill they may be registering. Just taking a step back and slowing down a little makes sense. Especially since Disney+ is established now as a thing that has stuff that matters so now people are anticipating the next thing and when it’s gonna happen. That’s good. Keep us wanting instead of saying “another one?”

I do hope they force more Halloween and Christmas specials though. Those were the highlight for me and I think would make a great tradition.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I do hope they force more Halloween and Christmas specials though. Those were the highlight for me and I think would make a great tradition.

Moon Knight Hanukkah special. Marc and Steven discover at the last minute, that they are on the line for hosting a party. Each blames the other for setting it up and not telling the other (turns out it was Jake who did it to mess with them), and now they gotta work together to get it all ready before the guests start arriving.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The one hour specials to highlight characters that don't really fit anywhere else and to let them be experimental and different in content is a great idea.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jamesman posted:

Moon Knight Hanukkah special. Marc and Steven discover at the last minute, that they are on the line for hosting a party. Each blames the other for setting it up and not telling the other (turns out it was Jake who did it to mess with them), and now they gotta work together to get it all ready before the guests start arriving.

Use that to bring in the FF when Ben shows up

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Marvel surprised everyone by debuting the X-Men with a Banshee St Patrick’s Day special next week.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Opopanax posted:

Use that to bring in the FF when Ben shows up

And the X-men with Kitty, who brings Peter Parker as her plus 1.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Parkingtigers posted:

All I'm saying is, the song "Turtle Power" by Partners in Kryme from the 1990 movie was the number one single four weeks running in the UK and that should be the end of the matter.

Spin That Wheel is also on that soundtrack and it's a banger

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Guys, I made myself sad because now I keep thinking about this and I want it to happen so bad. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1634395437108002816
Apparently new Shazam ads have spoilers

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Parkingtigers posted:

So far I feel Netflix Daredevil came closest to this. I mean, it didn't, but in terms of "holy poo poo this seems real" it's the closest.

Andor's impressiveness wasn't just in terms of grit, but the fact that in spite of that and it's general better-than-average-everything it was a smooth fit in with Star Wars as a setting, by using that old trick of going into very specific detail from the broad outlines that the bigger profile Star Wars stuff has sketched out.

I'm not sure you could do the same thing with Marvel. The patchwork nature of the shared universe means that everything tends to be weighed similarly. I don't really think there are any unlit corners of the MCU or the 616 that could really offer the kind of "drat, really?" vibe that Andor does. The closest thing I can think of from the big two in general is Gotham Central and we've seen the kind of job WB has done with that type of material...

y'know what would be great for that kind of material though? Astro City! Someone should make an adaptation of that poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One of my dream projects would be Marvels, and it's just an anthology series of stories set during the blip, mostly of normal people. Or they could just do anything at all interesting with the blip

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I think that boat sailed when the first trailer seemed to have essentially the entire movie in it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Opopanax posted:

One of my dream projects would be Marvels, and it's just an anthology series of stories set during the blip, mostly of normal people. Or they could just do anything at all interesting with the blip

The Blip is like, the biggest missed opportunity in the MCU and I hope they do go back at some point and revisit that period.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What can you spoil about Shazam? This looks like it has zero stakes and we know it's not gonna carry over to the Gunn DC stuff

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Opopanax posted:

I've spent the last year banging that drum in the MCU TV thread, as the 5 year period post-Snap would be amazing. I felt that's where the next Daredevil series should have been. Kingpin being the "strongman" leader New York needs to stop it descending into anarchy, and it being his resurgence, and Matt Murdock stuck trying to both fight against the mess of martial law in the courts, while fighting Fisk's excesses and the rampant crime of the Snap chaos on the streets, but never able to actually take down Fisk again because even he sees, regretfully, that without Fisk it would be worse and the city would implode.

Half the world gone, a society on near full collapse, and uneasy semi-alliance but still enemies villain relationship... it would have been my dream Marvel project. We're never getting anything like it though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

What can you spoil about Shazam? This looks like it has zero stakes and we know it's not gonna carry over to the Gunn DC stuff

Gal Gadot shows up as Wonder Woman in probably her last appearance as the character. I guess she gives a minor pep talk to the heroes?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Gal Gadot shows up as Wonder Woman in probably her last appearance as the character. I guess she gives a minor pep talk to the heroes?

Guess it's not a spoiler anymore; just saw an ad that blatantly features what you're talking about.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

They're doing anything they can to scrape up extra asses in seats for what they know is a C-list series in a dead franchise.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

They're doing anything they can to scrape up extra asses in seats for what they know is a C-list series in a dead franchise.

Don't forget, now also featuring an anti-vaxxer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Guess it's not a spoiler anymore; just saw an ad that blatantly features what you're talking about.

I assume that's what the director is talking about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wasn't the first Shazam extremely successful?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I clicked on the seachbar in Chrome and the top search suggestion was shazam wonder woman cameo I had decided to skip the movie after learning more about Levi so I don't care about the spoiler, but goddamn Chrome wtf.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Blockhouse posted:

Wasn't the first Shazam extremely successful?

Yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Shazam ironically tied the DC film universe together in a way that was sensible-- heroes being part of pop culture and seeing stuff like AUTHENTIC USED BATARANG becoming bits of memorabilia.

But now S2 is at the tail end of a mess of a universe, with Levi being a dipshit, and his most notable foe off the table. What's the point other than the nice kid actors.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

God the Rock really hosed with things, didn't he?

I hope Gunn has a Shazam versus Black Adam film penciled in for the future just to stick to it Dwayne.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness to the Rock things were already pretty hosed up.

He did his part but like he was late to the party.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah but he certainly didn't help and at this point I'm so tired of the Rock that I just want to see him eat as much poo poo as possible. :v:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I mean, it should have been Shazam vs. Black Adam for this one. The fact it looks like it's generic villains with dragons doesn't help sell the movie at all. Even if the DCEU were continuing as is, the movie still seems like it's low stakes and cut off from everyone else. Even the cameo feels tacked on and unnecessary, and it would have been better if they decided to have them be a full co-star.

It feels like there's zero reason to actually go out and see the movie. Might as well wait to see it streaming for free.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shazam vs Black Adam might have been more of a draw but I dunno. For one that kind of assumes a whole other world where Black Adam didn’t bomb so hard and the Rock isn’t a punching bag/joke in this. Because I have a hard time seeing people get sincerely excited by Shazam vs Black Adam in this timeline.

But also even if that did happen it doesn’t change the state of DC and the feeling that this is some artifact of the last era that needs to be run through before we get to the reset. Again, if we’re talking an entirely different reality where things feel clearer and there’s a more focused plan and Black Adam and Shazam feel like positive parts of it then ok, things are better. But that’s not the reality we’re living in.

So I dunno. Shazam 2 strikes me as it could be a perfectly pleasant dumb super hero film but nothing really changes how it feels in the big picture because the big picture is pretty well a mess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem Shazam has as a movie franchise is that it ages out of its central conceit super fast. Unless you cast an actual 10 year old and crank those movies out you don't have a lot of time where Billy is actually a child. Like even if they did a Shazam 3 Asher Angel would be in his mid 20s and at that point you just have a grown rear end man who turns into a slightly different grown rear end man.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The biggest problem with Shazam is that they haven't had Tawny in yet

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah like how the actress for Mary is now also Mary Marvel. Asher looks like he could have also gone straight into playing Shazam this time around if they wanted.

Shazam vs. Black Adam works because it shows how two people given the same powers can go off in completely separate directions with them, and cements Billy as a great choice for having them. And that's a lot more interesting than Shazam vs. generic gods and a dragon.

Plus the end of the first movie has a Superman cameo, so you would think the second movie might have had more appearances from other established characters (other than another cameo) and been like a team-up film or something. I dunno. It seems like they just made a sequel because the first was a surprise success but they really had no ideas what to do with it. And now combined with it being released during a lame duck period where we know all these movies aren't really gonna matter or lead anywhere, it has very little appeal to go out and see in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Would fans really have cared that much more if it was actually a Shazam vs Black Adam movie? The Black Adam in the movie seemed kind of dark to fit in the same film as Shazam.