Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
None of it will exist soon it'll just be lovely apartments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Inceltown posted:

Hope you're not planning on catching public transport in Sydney today. Whole train network is down and busses are so full they're not even stopping at Railway Square.

Some sort of communication network problem.

My daughter won't be pleased. She went into the CBD office today and needs to get home to Penrith.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Trains are running again. Daughter managed to catch a mountains train.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone else find the ABC's headlines a bit annoying

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Ita has hosed the ABC in numerous ways, here's how

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I emphasise with her tremendously. It's been on the back burner for the past few years but I so desperately want a nice hefty gold brick. I do anything for one. Anything.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
ABC has been stooping to clickbaity poo poo for a while now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

~Coxy posted:

ABC has been stooping to clickbaity poo poo for a while now.

Pretty much.

Some of the analysis pieces are worth a read, but the main news stories aren't great.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Laserface posted:

marrickville is gentrifying pretty hard with heaps of flats that will choke the roads once they're finished. the maccas they want to build on marrickville road is stupid.

There’s also that colossal planned development on Illawarra road where the Asian market is at the moment

Shits hosed

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Laserface posted:

The inner west is still the inner west. everything from erko to canterbury rd maccas is still cool and full of the boheems, queers, trans, muso, junkie, derro and art students on mum and dads dime as it ever was. marrickville is gentrifying pretty hard with heaps of flats that will choke the roads once they're finished. the maccas they want to build on marrickville road is stupid.

the rest of the inner west beyond that is fine too, just not as much entertainment based nightlife or attractions besides ethnic cuisine.

marrickville is also bigger than newtown/enmore/erko combined

I was in Marrickville today and realised how much I miss living there, it's just chill and I found another new music store I'd not seen before...

Far funner and much better vibe than Kingsgrove. I don't hate it here, but it's getting between here and anywhere else that fkn sucks.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
seven hills is the new toongabbie, old toongabbie is the new girraween

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Non Compos Mentis posted:

seven hills is the new toongabbie, old toongabbie is the new girraween

My couch is the new punch bowl

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

And yet Frankston ... stays Frankston.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

dr_rat posted:

I just checked the wiki and it gives where it was first found right down to the street adress, lol.

"10 Williams Avenue, Hendra, a suburb of Brisbane in Queensland, Australia."

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

It could be yours for about $2m

10 Williams Avenue, Hendra, Qld 4011 https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-hendra-140173831

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BrigadierSensible posted:

And yet Frankston ... stays Frankston.

The Pancake Parlour closed down and I bet they just dumped the giant 'Lovely' stained glass window.

Frankston in name only.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I saw this house that was obviously designed in the Tony Hawk skate park creator mode:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

My old man was a technician for Telstra in the late 90s early 00s and use to visit the Perth CBD exchange a fair bit. As I kid I begged him to take me to work to see the epic quarter pipe on the roof in person.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Rove McManus worked on that

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

The Pancake Parlour closed down and I bet they just dumped the giant 'Lovely' stained glass window.

Frankston in name only.

Well poo poo I've learned something here, that Pancake Parlour (LOVELY!) is a Victoria thing and the ones in NSW and QLD are off-brand. I remember the one in Sydney from the 80s, been to the Gold Coast one, and the Brisbane one is a hoot, it's in a great old church with a bar and open 24 hours! Shame I don't love the food more, but it just feels like stuffing myself with flour and sugar every time.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Jestery posted:

Rove McManus worked on that

into the bin then

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Might chuck up some more historic pics.

Orange, NSW, 1978

Sofala, NSW, 1971.
If it looks vaguely familiar, it's where Peter Weir filmed his debut feature The Cars That Ate Paris in 1974.

Cottesloe Beach, Perth, WA, mid 60's.

Chullora, Sydney, 1956

Location unknown, presumably mid to late 70's, back when public safety regulations were... soft...

Location unknown, the old 'Tip'. Empty the car, have a scavenge for parts, mind the smell. Early 70's.

Coles, South Melbourne, Early 70's. Look familiar?

Same coles from the late 90's Dollar Dazzler ads, yes they're ripping off Independence Day for capitalism.

While we're at it, a Woolworths ad from the early 80's. Dang carton of Marly's for a tenner?
Also how good that you can still get a jaffle maker for around $20? I mean, the one in the picture would still be working today, but today you can buy a new on each year for the same money!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 14, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I've never understood the recent apologia/nostalgia for this and a few other shows. It was garbage and nobody I knew actually liked it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I liked it

The two parter finale was dope

But I grew up riding bikes in dirt and playing marbles so I guess I'm bias

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Coles, South Melbourne, Early 70's. Look familiar?

I love these old photos

I worked in South Melbourne for years but I can't figure out where the Coles is/was, I don't think it's there anymore though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sofala, NSW, 1971.
If it looks vaguely familiar, it's where Peter Weir filmed his debut feature The Cars That Ate Paris in 1974.

Sofala looks vaguely familiar because it still looks exactly like that

webmeister fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 14, 2023

baaderbrains
Apr 30, 2007

safeguard the children

EoinCannon posted:

I love these old photos

I worked in South Melbourne for years but I can't figure out where the Coles is/was, I don't think it's there anymore though

Looks like the one on clarendon street.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

baaderbrains posted:

Looks like the one on clarendon street.

Where the shopping centre is now? I guess, that's the only Coles in the area, it's weird to think of a big car park fronting onto Clarendon St but I guess South Melbourne was very different back then

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Babe are you ok? You've believed touched your Telecom glasses.

baaderbrains
Apr 30, 2007

safeguard the children

EoinCannon posted:

Where the shopping centre is now? I guess, that's the only Coles in the area, it's weird to think of a big car park fronting onto Clarendon St but I guess South Melbourne was very different back then

I…think so? I remember it being there like, 10 or 15 years ago. Parking inspectors were real pricks about that car park.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Babe are you ok? You've believed touched your Telecom glasses.

:psypop:

I still remember reading my Dad's itemizied Telecom bills (books are for rich people), and being SO confused when it all changed to Telstra

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Sofala, NSW, 1971.

That movie poo poo me up good and proper, I think it was on the ABC late 70s/early 80s, and I spent the next 3 months properly traumatized behind the sofa. Probably because I was growing up in a tiny country community and it all looked wayyy too close to home, the weird creepy townspeople and their weird customs.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
At my old job there was, what i think was the old phone cable switch box, in the kitchen that had the telecom logo on it

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I used to have one of those puzzles where you moved the pieces around to form an image and it was the Telecom logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

They were only allowed to use Burger King trademarks if they expanded their business at a certain rate, which they fell short of or something

If I remember right it wasn’t just that they couldn’t keep up, but that Burger King were deliberately making it impossible to keep up so the franchises would revert to them. Meanwhile Burger King were opening their own stores just to gently caress Hungry Jacks even harder. I think I remember the Hungry Jacks at the Ringwood Shell servo was a Burger King at first.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

90s ads with australians trying to do american accents are a very particular mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9_Usyqvv8

Back in grade 5, miming a phone with your hands and yelling “Barry! Barry! Listen to me Barry! I’ll get back to ya Barry!” was the funniest poo poo ever.