Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Only 9 chapters so far, it’s still incomplete

i think they have 12 chapters planned, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm leveling a Holy trail javelin void Knight, it's pretty dope so far.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I’m doing swarmblade druid, it does a lot of damage in bug form and when you get the two nodes that just let you swap back and forth with bear form to keep the aoe swarm up, it blasts through stuff

I’ll probably switch to some form of bear focused at endgame

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Digging the werebear swipe build right now but I'm not totally sure if I'm supposed to be switching in and out of bear form to do maelstrom? I'm working on a node now that gives a chance to proc maelstrom on swipes/maul (in bear form) so I guess I'm stacking as many maelstrom as I can before going bear form then rushing in to clean up while mauling on CD for extra stacks of maelstrom?

Edit: Ah, yeah looks like that is generally what I want to be doing. The Ursine Storm node gives eventually a 32% chance to proc on maul in bear form so looks like I've about got the idea.

Edit 2: oh duh I just realized that Swipe is the basic attack in bear form as well so I'm getting chances of maelstrom on basic attacks in werebear form too.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 11, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
One of my wolves was named "Roland" for a few hours this morning and then reverted back to it's default name.

Weird bug but give me Roland back.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm also doing swarmblade, but mainly using it to proc Tornado, which autocasts Lightning, which is where all my damage comes from. Between all the buffs you can get from being transformed and massive crit boosts, the lightning is already tearing chunks off of bosses, and I'm not even level 60 yet.

Normally I just freestyle my own builds, but I saw the Lightning Bug part of this video and had to try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezFg-2vkVvA

Also, I had a Roland at one point while leveling too; I wonder if it's an easter egg or something.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Fools! FOOLS!!

I'm doing firey mage right now. blamblamblamblamblam

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

One of my wolves was named "Roland" for a few hours this morning and then reverted back to it's default name.

Weird bug but give me Roland back.

I think it will randomly give your wolves names (like how healing potions will sometimes drop as "beer"). Just summoned my 5 wolves and currently I have 3 primal wolves, Mouse, and Fenton.

Edit: Haha, oh god, I think it gives the named wolves a bit of individual personality. The wolf named Fenton is extremely agro and just runs off the screen chasing enemies 2 or 3 screens away, and well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

El Cid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 11, 2023

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

explosivo posted:

Digging the werebear swipe build right now but I'm not totally sure if I'm supposed to be switching in and out of bear form to do maelstrom? I'm working on a node now that gives a chance to proc maelstrom on swipes/maul (in bear form) so I guess I'm stacking as many maelstrom as I can before going bear form then rushing in to clean up while mauling on CD for extra stacks of maelstrom?

Edit: Ah, yeah looks like that is generally what I want to be doing. The Ursine Storm node gives eventually a 32% chance to proc on maul in bear form so looks like I've about got the idea.

Edit 2: oh duh I just realized that Swipe is the basic attack in bear form as well so I'm getting chances of maelstrom on basic attacks in werebear form too.

Roar inherits War Cry’s skill tree too! That’s another 4 stacks whenever you pop it in bear form

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

queeb posted:

I'm leveling a Holy trail javelin void Knight, it's pretty dope so far.

I was having enough fun as a Holy Trail paladin that I just kept using the build rather than respec to hammers or something, currently level 69. But I think I need to change things up because too many of the dungeon bosses, mono bosses, etc. don't let you target them with lunge which really limits my dps.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Made an offline character during the Queue Troubles and it turns out it is now an online character after the patch that turned off the queue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sacro posted:

Made an offline character during the Queue Troubles and it turns out it is now an online character after the patch that turned off the queue.

Yeah! It really just accesses the chat server. However, sometimes the entire LP login service goes down and then you can't play your offline characters. But this is going to change with 1.0 so that you'll be able to play whether the online is up or not.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Anyone got a support character they recommend? My main is like 60, but a buddy has a low level and I'd like something to play with him

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like how global chat keeps reenabling itself and party chat switches back to global chat randomly so I accidentally send messages over global meant for my party like all the goddamn time. :argh:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

God that lightning swarmblade looks so cool, looks like I'm swapping to that instead!

Druid is great

Hauki
May 11, 2010

explosivo posted:

Yeah, the goal imo is to generate enough rage that you can stay in bear form permanently (or at least through a monolith node) and just keep stacks up through triggers

Zotix posted:

Anyone got a support character they recommend? My main is like 60, but a buddy has a low level and I'd like something to play with him

I think paladin gets the best access to party support skills through sigils, holy aura, volatile reversal etc. Coincidentally those can also support your other skills pretty well too :v:

queeb posted:

God that lightning swarmblade looks so cool, looks like I'm swapping to that instead!

Druid is great

I haven’t had much time to play yet since multi went live, but I’m leveling cold bear and planning to switch to that, haven’t been a bug before

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love the end game map system for Last Epoch. It's basically Path of Exile, but addresses all of the player complaints that GGG refuses to listen to.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I really hope the devs continue ignoring the dopes demanding they make the game more like PoE. No, I don't actually want to have to collect fifty different currencies, thanks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This feels surprisingly good on a controller, at least for leveling it seems like a pretty viable way to play. I did get a hard crash when using LB to cycle through skill in the leveling screen but as far as usability goes I think it's great. Especially when you combine it with a good loot filter so you don't have to sort through tons of poo poo drops using the dpad.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fired this up since I and a bud have been waiting for the multiplayer patch to hit and there's like six different ways I can spec into "summon more skeletons, no more skeletons".

This is some Grim Dawn levels of pet bullshit and I am 100% here for it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
My preferred necromancer build is the one where I'm always summoning skeletons because my skeleton mages are exploding them. I'm going to try and have those dead skellies feed me ward and mana, while having a 30% chance to turn into zombies, which will explode with a chance to proc free marrow shards that will give me health and mana.

The other option is focusing more on the zombies, cause they can also proc me casting sacrifice. Would change the itemization away from minion stats, so I'm not sure how well it'd work with a primarily minion focused build, but could be neat, especially with some of the more absurd sacrifice nodes like chain reaction.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 11, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I love the end game map system for Last Epoch. It's basically Path of Exile, but addresses all of the player complaints that GGG refuses to listen to.

Is it?

It feels closer to D3's Rifts than PoE's maps in my opinion.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
It's both, and that's why it rules! Some amount of randomization in the layouts/objectives, but you can pick the difficulty (to some degree) as well as target certain rewards. And you don't need 5 different currencies and a map stash tab to do it!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Zotix posted:

Yeah, as mentioned earlier paladin is currently the best support class. It is under developed though because the heal currently has no skill tree, judgement is challenging to hit players and enemies if they are spread out, and the synergies haven't really been worked on to make a good support centric build. The sigils and holy aura do a lot of work though.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

fun little PoE reference on this

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

frajaq posted:

fun little PoE reference on this

There's tons of references, like the first boss telling the player to "Kill me" me all the time (like Piety). I've seen a few others but blanking on them now

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

also building around it is viable (alkaizer is playing that build right now on hardcore)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Shardix posted:

I really hope the devs continue ignoring the dopes demanding they make the game more like PoE. No, I don't actually want to have to collect fifty different currencies, thanks.

Today I picked up an item, smacked the one mod I didn't want off of it, and hit T5 on two other mods before running out of juice. Then I got right back to gaming, it was terrific.

Spent a lot of time playing with a friend today. We're maybe a mile apart from each other IRL on the same ISP and it was laggy sometimes. Sometimes leaving the map via town portal then going right back in felt like it fixed the latency. There's definitely still a lot of work to be done but it's functional enough to play together most of the time.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 12, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So in Werebear form, a bunch of the skills it grants can be specced to pull from the "sibling spell" in Human Form; Leap, Warcry, Swipe, etc. (I forget what else). Or at least, I'm like 90% sure that's so as I haven't played my Bear in ages.

But... there doesn't really seem to be anything like that for Spriggan? Just turning my Healing Totems into Thorn Totems. But like now that I picked up the "Healing Totems grant Rage instead" talent, I never leave Spriggan form... so wtf else am I suppose to Specialize in?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 12, 2023

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
As someone who has made PoE their main game for the last 3.5 years (and played tons of D3 before that), I never took an interest in Last Epoch until I saw everyone streaming this newest update, and the game looked interesting, so I gave it a try, and I am really enjoying it.

I have a level 28 lich and 42 Void Knight autobomber - although calling it an autobomber is a bit of a stretch. My two big criticisms so far is that some of the zones are way too big. They would be too big if you cut them in half, so I’d like to see them narrow the band between the smallest and biggest zones.

Secondly, every mob needs to do a lot more damage to players, and the mini-bosses and act bosses need a massive increase in damage done. There is no danger in the leveling process. Make everything hit much harder and increase the base potion count to compensate, so gameplay feels a little more alive and active.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
So how is the game running these days? I've considered picking this up now that the patch is out but I've heard a lot about people not being able to actually log in.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

As someone who has made PoE their main game for the last 3.5 years (and played tons of D3 before that), I never took an interest in Last Epoch until I saw everyone streaming this newest update, and the game looked interesting, so I gave it a try, and I am really enjoying it.

I have a level 28 lich and 42 Void Knight autobomber - although calling it an autobomber is a bit of a stretch. My two big criticisms so far is that some of the zones are way too big. They would be too big if you cut them in half, so I’d like to see them narrow the band between the smallest and biggest zones.

Secondly, every mob needs to do a lot more damage to players, and the mini-bosses and act bosses need a massive increase in damage done. There is no danger in the leveling process. Make everything hit much harder and increase the base potion count to compensate, so gameplay feels a little more alive and active.

Shardix posted:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sab669 posted:

So in Werebear form, a bunch of the skills it grants can be specced to pull from the "sibling spell" in Human Form; Leap, Warcry, Swipe, etc. (I forget what else). Or at least, I'm like 90% sure that's so as I haven't played my Bear in ages.

But... there doesn't really seem to be anything like that for Spriggan? Just turning my Healing Totems into Thorn Totems. But like now that I picked up the "Healing Totems grant Rage instead" talent, I never leave Spriggan form... so wtf else am I suppose to Specialize in?

This ended up being my Spriggan build last time I played a bunch. Actually a Shaman focused on all cold damage all the time. A bit outdated, but basically all of the non-Spriggan skills I specced into have some mechanism to trigger automatically. Avalanche is the weird one, because that one proccing is tied to an idol affix.

https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/mQkYkY0o

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone else having their skills on the skill bar disappear, requiring you to set them all again? Also if I'm in werebear form when moving between zones I'm at risk of having my skills shift to the left. It's real weird!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So I made an Aura of Decay Lich that is constantly on the verge of killing herself. It's great, the end.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

explosivo posted:

Anyone else having their skills on the skill bar disappear, requiring you to set them all again? Also if I'm in werebear form when moving between zones I'm at risk of having my skills shift to the left. It's real weird!

All the transformations do this randomly, and it's a known bug that's on their list of hopefully-soon fixes. It hasn't been a problem for me since I got to the Monolith.

Trip report for lightning bug: build rocks. I basically ran through as quickly as possible to the level 90 zones, and even with mediocre gear, stomped all three bosses no problem. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs in the awakened timelines tomorrow.

The only problem I ever ran into was with the undead dragon boss and its awful invisible ground effects that would chew through my life way too quickly. Also, the triple-dragon miniboss in Reign of Dragons took three tries because I kept getting stuck (unable to move or use any skill except my right-click) when I'd try to dash through them, so be careful if you use movement abilities in that fight.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bobtheconqueror posted:

This ended up being my Spriggan build last time I played a bunch. Actually a Shaman focused on all cold damage all the time. A bit outdated, but basically all of the non-Spriggan skills I specced into have some mechanism to trigger automatically. Avalanche is the weird one, because that one proccing is tied to an idol affix.

https://www.lastepochtools.com/planner/mQkYkY0o

Ah, yea I'm looking for something with 100% Up Time on Spriggan so I can summon every bee, feel like there's really no good options for other skills :shrug: Minion Kills don't seem to trigger Maelstrom either.

And gently caress, I hope they fix this hotbar chicanery real soon. Incredibly annoying not only having to put Spriggan Form back on my bar every time I go into town, but then the spells are in a different each time I shift into the form.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 12, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It BEEgins :imunfunny:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

shimmy shimmy posted:

So how is the game running these days? I've considered picking this up now that the patch is out but I've heard a lot about people not being able to actually log in.

Usual arpg launch crap seems to be subsiding since they pushed a hotfix, and probably the initial rush of people trying to get in.
You get a better picture of the game just reading this thread rather than the atrocious steam page, reddit etc.
Most people are posting about builds rather than queues to get in.
Game is still beta, though so expect wonky stuff.
Other than afore mentioned issues, the game is in decent shape and a lot of fun.

If you are in any doubt that you won't like it and will possibly refund it then remember that if there is any queuing it will possibly count as play time.
I had that issue in the past (can't remember what game) and it made getting the refund a real pita

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm a little surprised at how janky this patch is. And not in the "we're functionally being DDOS'd by wanting players" sense but the disappearing hotbar, characters appearing naked, movement skills "freezing" you, minion UI elements going missing etc.

I get that it's in beta and I'm really not complaining, game owns, none of the bugs are serious "show stoppers". I'm just surprised at how much stuff either broke in this patch, or was always broken but wasn't evident until being pushed online. It a little bit feels like they rushed the release to get ahead of the D4 beta, but maybe the timing is purely coincidental.

Actually I did have one serious bug, somehow an item in the crafting bench poofed on me. I had it on my cursor, but I don't remember what specifically I did. Fortunately it was just low level junk that was quickly replaced. I saw one other person mention losing an item in the in-game chat, but I'm guessing it's hard to reproduce.