Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm glad the colorist seems to care about Luann the appropriate amount, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

I feel seen

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do the Japanese eat a lot of tripe? I only ever encountered it as dog food and the joke disgusting food in children's comics.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 11, 1956)

I'd like to hear more about this gay party.

Also, Aleta's gonna get to kill again!

Hwurmp posted:

This is bullshit

It's subtle, but the right leg cuff is a bit higher.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Run him over obviously.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hippocrass posted:

It's subtle, but the right leg cuff is a bit higher.

I know and it's bullshit

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

goatface posted:

Do the Japanese eat a lot of tripe? I only ever encountered it as dog food and the joke disgusting food in children's comics.
Depends on what you mean by "a lot," but certainly a lot more than I ate growing up in the American Midwest (which was zero). In Uramachi Sakaba, we're mostly drawing on its long history as a working-class bar food when grilled on skewers or stewed up with miso, but it's very popular at grill-at-your-table Korean barbecue places, and there are some other popular dishes where it features. But it's certainly not like an every day thing for most people.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Julet Esqu posted:

What kind of maniac opens an envelope like that?

Johnny Carson/Carnac

And if you don't know who that is, why are you reading Luann?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

CzarChasm posted:

Johnny Carson/Carnac

And if you don't know who that is, why are you reading Luann?

Ok boomer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/24-26/50

The saying is "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."

Archie 10/7-9/46

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

I know and it's bullshit
I always do the "magic eye" thing with Slylock puzzles. Saves time and I enjoy the effect.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

What kind of maniac opens an envelope like that?

Oh my God, I'm a Bernice. :stonk:

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 12, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Had A Thought About What Birth Control Looks Like In Hellworld And Then I Realized I Would Have To Consider If The Genitals Are Accurate Or Not To The Species So We're Not Gonna Think About That Anymore

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

Virtanen used a more specific word of his wife, "pirttihirmu", effectively meaning "spouse who's overly strict about things around the household and bosses their partner around", but I couldn't think of a suitable English equivalent word.

ANSU

Fingerpori

I've no idea. I guess it could be recontextualizing the "counting the beat" at the start of a song by making it about counting the band members?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If someone asked me if I wanted to go online and then handed me what appears to be a dictionary, I'd leave.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Mar 24-25, 1954)

I feel like this strip is intended to be political.

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 2-5, 1993)

Big Nate

My idea for ending the arc was better.

Blind Alley

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 12, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Hempuli posted:

Virtanen used a more specific word of his wife, "pirttihirmu", effectively meaning "spouse who's overly strict about things around the household and bosses their partner around", but I couldn't think of a suitable English equivalent word.

Such a majestic language.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

*Palpatine voice* yes, yes... unleash these stalled relations.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 08, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hempuli posted:

B. Virtanen

Shrew?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the old ball and chain

e: this is the comic strips thread, the most boomer place on earth. surely there's no shortage of marital laments

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I’ve always been fond of “termagant.”

e: a shameful misspelling. Anyway, “nightmare” works fine in the context of the strip.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 12, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Comic Strips 2023: Unleash these stalled relations.

Bimmi posted:

I’ve always been fond of “termigant.”

OTHER WORDS FOR termagant

1 shrew, virago, harridan, scold.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Ringo reassures Strawfield, or Campbell and Blueberry take a walk, or Blueberry scopes out the situation...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Why doesn't she just quit? Every strip is about how miserable her job is.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

The marble thing is similar to a well-known method for making a DIY tamper-evident seal, such as you might put on laptop screws: cover the screw head with a dab of glitter paint and then take a high-res photo of it. Then if the bad guys get access to your laptop and unscrew it to plant a hardware bug or whatever, then even if they put another dab of the same paint back on the screws, the arrangement of the actual glitter bits will be all different and you'll be able to tell when you compare it with your reference photo.

FoxTrot

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is it just me or is this storyline in Nancy really weird.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to our eyes. I don't know if it would have been at the time.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Alhazred posted:

Why doesn't she just quit? Every strip is about how miserable her job is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Storefri

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

Is it just me or is this storyline in Nancy really weird.

I am slightly uncomfortable with the strange men repeatedly sequestering themselves with a little girl.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/11/03

Brenda Starr 7/27-29/50

"Ziggy Nash" looks kinda like Messick drawing someone she knew into the strip.

Smokey Stover 6/7/53

For those of you not raised on Emily Post, a bread and butter letter is written to thank someone for having you as a guest.

Everyday Movies 3/16/36

"Mink has its good points, but give me ermine trimmed with white fox every time."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/23-25/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 12, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A few of you use my little script to prep the comics you post here every day. But since I wrote it in bash, that means Windows users have to jump through a bunch of hoops (like WSL) to use it. But that's no longer necessary, since (with some assistance from ChatGPT) I've finally ported the script to PowerShell. Windows users, rejoice!

So what does this thing do, exactly?
If you regularly post comics here, you're familiar with the daily routine of going to ComicsKingdom and/or GoComics, saving the image files, uploading them to Imgur, and then pasting all the links together to make a post. Dull and annoying, right? But precisely because that task is so repetitive, it's a great target for automation. So instead of doing all that work, you can have your computer do it for you -- type one command and it'll prep the whole post for you, ready to copy/paste into the forums. (And as an extra bonus, doing it this way doesn't seem to ever run into the annoying "you've viewed your limit of comics for this month" thing.)

It does take a little bit of setup, but believe me, once you've got it going, it makes your daily comics posting all but effortless.

Sounds great! How do I do it?
You have to do a few pieces of setup first.

1. Before you can run any script, you have to explicitly allow scripts to run. Open a Powershell window as Administrator (find Windows PowerShell in the start menu, right-click it, run as administrator) and at the prompt, type:
code:
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
(In case you want more detail about what we're actually doing here.) Once that's done, you can close the PowerShell admin window.

2. Now you need the script itself. There are two of them, one for ComicsKingdom and one for GoComics, at the bottom of this post. Open notepad, and copy/paste the code of the one you want from here into a new file. Call it either get-ck.ps1 or get-go.ps1, for CK and GoComics, respectively. The easiest place to save this is in the folder C:\Users\YourLocalUserName (put in your actual Windows username there, of course) -- this is because that's the directory where you start when you open a new PowerShell window. (If you prefer to put the script somewhere else and don't mind changing the directory to it every time, go right ahead.)

3. But don't close the Notepad window just yet, first you need to customize it and tell it which comics to get! Near the top you'll see a line that starts with the word "foreach". This line has the list of comics. The names given here must match the URL on ComicsKingdom or GoComics. So if you want to post Zippy the Pinhead, you go find it on CK and find that its URL is https://comicskingdom.com/zippy-the-pinhead. So the name you'll use is "zippy-the-pinhead". There can be as many or as few comics in the list as you want -- just put each one in quotes, and separate them with commas. (There are a few example comics in each script to give you the idea.) You can always edit this file again if you want to add a comic or make any other changes.

Setup is done! How do I, uh, make it do the thing every day?
Very simple. Open a PowerShell window and type .\get-ck.ps1 or .\get-go.ps1, depending on which you're using. Shortcut: just type the first character or two (so "g" or "ge") and then hit Tab. It'll guess what you want and finish writing the command. If there are multiple options -- say you have both scripts -- just hit Tab again to get the next one. You can even shift-Tab to go back the other way. Or, different shortcut: you can hit the up arrow key to get your previous command. However you got there, when you're happy with the command it's showing you, hit Enter. Sit back and watch as it does all the boring stuff for you, and in a few seconds you'll have a post ready to copy-paste to the forums.

Just be aware that copy/paste is extremely weird in a Powershell window. So to copy the post, do a click-and-drag to highlight the text you want, then right-click to copy it to the clipboard. Yes, really. No, I don't know why they did it that way, but once you know that you need right-click instead of ctrl-c or ctrl-v, it works fine. Switch to your browser, make a new post, paste in the text, and hit the Preview Reply button to see the fruits of your computer's labor.

The ComicsKingdom Script:
code:
$DATE = Get-Date -Format "yyyy-MM-dd"

foreach ($COMICNAME in "shoe", "dennis-the-menace", "tina-s-groove") {
    $RAWOUTPUT = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://www.comicskingdom.com/${COMICNAME}/${DATE}" -UseBasicParsing
    $FILENAME = $RAWOUTPUT.RawContent -split "`n" | Select-String -Pattern '"og:image"' | Select-Object -First 1 | Foreach-Object { $_.Line -split '"' } | Select-Object -Index 3
    $DISPLAYNAME = ($RAWOUTPUT.RawContent -split "`n" | Select-String 'og:title').ToString().Split('"')[3] -replace '&', '&' -replace ''', "'" -replace ''', "'"

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $FILENAME -OutFile "${DATE}-${COMICNAME}.gif" -UseBasicParsing

echo [b]$DISPLAYNAME[/b]

$RESPONSE = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri 'https://api.imgur.com/3/image' -Method 'POST' -Headers @{'Authorization'='Client-ID c9a6efb3d7932fd'} -InFile "${DATE}-${COMICNAME}.gif"
    $IMGURLINK = $RESPONSE.data.link
    echo [img]$IMGURLINK[/img]`n

rm ${DATE}-${COMICNAME}.gif
}
The GoComics script:
code:
$DATE = Get-Date -Format "yyyy-MM-dd"
$DATESLASH = Get-Date -Format "yyyy/MM/dd"

foreach ($COMICNAME in "herbandjamaal", "broom-hilda", "day-by-dave") {
    $RAWOUTPUT = Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://www.gocomics.com/${COMICNAME}/${DATESLASH}" -UseBasicParsing
    $FILENAME = $RAWOUTPUT.Content -split "`n" | Select-String -Pattern '"og:image"' | Select-Object -First 1 | Foreach-Object { $_.Line -split '"' } | Select-Object -Index 3
    Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $FILENAME -OutFile "${DATE}-${COMICNAME}.gif" -UseBasicParsing

$DISPLAYNAME = ($RAWOUTPUT.Content -split "`n" | Select-String 'og:title').ToString().Split('"')[3] -replace '&', '&' -replace ''', "'" -replace ''', "'"
    $DISPLAYNAME = $DISPLAYNAME.Substring(0, $DISPLAYNAME.LastIndexOf(" by ")).Trim()

Write-Host "[b]$DISPLAYNAME[/b]"

$RESPONSE = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri 'https://api.imgur.com/3/image' -Method 'POST' -Headers @{'Authorization'='Client-ID c9a6efb3d7932fd'} -InFile "${DATE}-${COMICNAME}.gif"
    $IMGURLINK = $RESPONSE.data.link
    echo [img]$IMGURLINK[/img]`n

rm ${DATE}-${COMICNAME}.gif
}
If anyone has questions or needs assistance getting this going, feel free to hit me up. And once you're used to doing it this way, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

It's called Arlo and Janis.

That's fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That first panel checks out. You don't want to schedule a date with a possibility of sex on leg on day.

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits