Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a good primer on some of the basics? Again, only having watched drive to survive so they dont talk about like, design or rules or anything. It seems like the only time I ever saw a penalty was a guy driving outside the track, can you just crash into people and wreck them and get away with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yes

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

can you just crash into people and wreck them and get away with it?

Yes.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That's fuckin awesome where has this poo poo been all my life. They should give the drivers little guns they can shoot out the cockpit.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You'll fit right in

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i fear im becoming a max verstappen fan

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Sunk Dunk posted:

:barf:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

you're garbage

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
At least root for nando for your first season

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If we're being honest you can definitely get penalized for causing an accident. In fact, it's the only motor sport I'm aware of where you can be penalized for causing an accident when some idiot runs into the back of you. And it's not just causing accidents, in some situations, you aren't even allowed to defend against the car behind you. You could be penalized just for not getting the gently caress out of the way right. Because of all these rules, the drivers have become soccer players, throwing their hands up and demanding penalties for the smallest of infractions and throwing temper tantrums when other drivers race them. One time, defending world champion Max Verstappen even tried to fight a guy because that guy passed him on the track because he had fresher tires than Max, but Max had a faster car than the guy with fresher tires, so the slower car clearly should've I guess known his place and not passed the car in front of him even though he clearly could pass the car in front of him because uh he did. Quite a scandal that was.

The good news is that the decisions on whether any of these billion penalties will be assessed are made arbitrarily behind closed doors by a nameless, faceless cabal of ghouls who have dedicated their lives to climbing the F1 corporate ladder and have major political considerations that influence their thoughts and actions. These are the same people who make the rules, so if one team is doing well, they can just ban a critical part of that teams car, or decide to do away with established procedures on the fly to make races more interesting/benefit their backers. So really the whole sport is about them and their internal politics, not anything that happens on the track. If that sounds cool to you, welcome aboard. If you just want to see cars wreckin each other and the last car standing being made the winner, check out nascar.

acidx fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 11, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
its ok im balancing it out by being a logan sargeant fan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Absolutely worth it. Get hosed frogman.

Sunk Dunk posted:

It's good that Americans can cheer for someone other than Hass or a binman like Danny.

It's okay, I'm Canadian and I'm stuck with the son of a Bond villain.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

you're alright

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Lewis did get a penalty during the race didn't he? And still won.

Max got his revenge though by during a burnout on Lewis's head at Imola.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
its pretty funny how the 2021 season wasnt close at all and rbr has been kicking the poo poo out of mercedes 3 years in a row.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lewis did nothing wrong

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it was awesome to see sir lewis punt frogboy after how poo poo his race-craft was all season. vercrappen was always forcing others to back out with forza esque moves until the blessed one said enough is enough.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

its pretty funny how the 2021 season wasnt close at all and rbr has been kicking the poo poo out of mercedes 3 years in a row.

can you mail me your cocktail of drugs that wipes 2021

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

it was awesome to see sir lewis punt frogboy after how poo poo his race-craft was all season. vercrappen was always forcing others to back out with forza esque moves until the blessed one said enough is enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhrAgoHCoyo

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just starting the second season of Drive to Survive, so I think its the 2018 or 2019 season.

Predictions and thoughts which will surely be accurate.

I'm glad Fernando Alonso retired.
I am hopeful that Ricciardo's move to Renault was worth it but Renault kind of seems like a poo poo team and poo poo company.
The show still hasn't focused much on Ferrari or McLaren they both seem boring.
Seems all the exciting drama is in the midfield.
Cars or Drivers imploding before or at turn 1 continues to be amazing.
Haas keeps fumbling along and I really hope they do better but given one driver can't seem to get out of his own head still and the other is kinda a dick...I dunno.

I guess you can't be an F1 driver and not be a little bit of a dick.

edit: Oh and Guenther Steiner continues to exude frustrated dad energy.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 11, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

exactly

god horner is such a pissy little baby butthole as well, he does my head in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sunk Dunk posted:

nobody's perfect and everyone's unique

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I'm glad Fernando Alonso retired.

You’ve made an enemy today

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the posting about the esports grip hacks makes max's constant corner bombing and whining about having no grip seem really loving funny

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I regularly think about a world where Lewis hadn’t made a completely unforced error at Baku

Would’ve been so much better imho Verstappen fans are the worst

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Why do the teams do their briefing/team-meetings wearing their headsets and mics and stuff?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Elendil004 posted:

Why do the teams do their briefing/team-meetings wearing their headsets and mics and stuff?

they're Gamers

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

acidx posted:

I give him a year and a half before he cracks and ends up in an institution babbling about how he is stupid and did a poo poo job through a mouthful of jello

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If Alonso podiums again in Saudi I'd like another sixer please

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Elendil004 posted:

I guess you can't be an F1 driver and not be a little bit of a dick.
For all the jokes and poo poo we make this is pretty accurate really.

These people are all insane; driving high speed coffins around tracks as fast as possible and trying to get away with as much as they can to gently caress eachother over (on track, most are nice off track).

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

People in the factory are on the call

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Zedd posted:

For all the jokes and poo poo we make this is pretty accurate really.

These people are all insane; driving high speed coffins around tracks as fast as possible and trying to get away with as much as they can to gently caress eachother over (on track, most are nice off track).

They're gladiators OP

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

tony quidtana posted:

They're gladiators OP
More like pissbabies, apart from the glorious Scud Buds ofc.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think you need a certain level of sociopathy to be successful in racing, its not a team sport in any capacity other than name, the more resources you can grab for yourself is always going to benefit you as a racer. Pulling off questionable moves without contrition regardless of the outcome is always going to tilt the hand towards you since everyone else drive more conservatively around you as a result.

In terms of them driving around in high speed "coffins" I think that's pretty laughable and you are by a wide margin safer crashing in an F1 car than you are in the average road car, people seem to get pissy when I bring that up though because it shatters the illusion of "they're gladiators". I think its very questionable how well these drivers would actually do if they genuinely had their life in their hands instead of it being some very stupid fake marketing talking point, but there's no way that's ever going to happen.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

top 10 personality traits for f1 driver: dads an oil baron, dads a banker, dad was a f1 driver, dads a billionaire, dad is Michael, dad owns the team, dad defrauded the investors and the government, dad is a monaco landlord, dad is descendent of Louis IV, dad is a Russian oligarch

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Zedd posted:

More like pissbabies, apart from the glorious Scud Buds ofc.

in my head i pronounce this "scood boods"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ethanol posted:

top 10 personality traits for f1 driver: dads an oil baron, dads a banker, dad was a f1 driver, dads a billionaire, dad is Michael, dad owns the team, dad defrauded the investors and the government, dad is a monaco landlord, dad is descendent of Louis IV, dad is a Russian oligarch

“Dad is the current head of the House of Habsburg” is driving in WEC these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pirate Radar posted:

“Dad is the current head of the House of Habsburg” is driving in WEC these days.

does he have a special helmet for his weird jaw