Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/greenbenali/status/1634602357936775169?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Abolish the Home Office"

Why are Green parties like this? lol worse than useless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I might vote green purely on the back of abolish the home office

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose posted:

I might vote green purely on the back of abolish the home office

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s a rotten institution to the core, get rid and build something better imo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Frosted Flake posted:

Abolish the Home Office is a great policy

While they're at it abolish the DWP as well

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Frosted Flake posted:

What do you think "the Home Office" is, in this context? Because you may not have realised that it's the government department behind the most vile, racist policies and legislation and the Home Secretary is typically the most psychotic MP in the party of government

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Counter terrorism, counter intelligence, fire and rescue, passports.

Those functions all need to continue, no matter who’s in charge.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the promise has been carved into the ed stone

:haibrow:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Frosted Flake posted:

Counterpoint: under a just system no one currently doing those things would be responsible for doing those things.

Fire and rescue isn't under the home office but there's a brewing scandal there about institutional sexism almost as bad as the police so lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

namesake posted:

Counterpoint: under a just system no one currently doing those things would be responsible for doing those things.

True. You’d need to be as ruthless clearing people out as Labour was going after Corbyn supporters. It’s a shame that only ever seems to cut one way.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Frosted Flake posted:

You're just repeating the establishment argument against defunding the police. Those functions can be carried out by departments that aren't rotten to the core.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

"Abolish X" is usually a really bad slogan unless you're willing to spend 5 minutes elucidating how you're going to replace / reform what you're abolishing (which the OP ends up doing in the comments)

I agree the Home Office should be broken up and migration made its own office run in an egalitarian humane way, "Abolish the Home Office" doesn't convey that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Abolish the home office" absolutely conveys that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not a great line. now, "Abolish the Home Office and publicly execute everyone who works there"? that's got some zing.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not a great line. now, "Abolish the Home Office, the DWP and publicly execute everyone who works there & the cabinet while we're at it. Maybe throw in some Tory donors too for good measure"? that's got some zing.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

fair enough but they’re failing at all those things already
for example, manchester arena bombing by an mi6 asset, grenfell and if you need a passport renewal in less than six months good luck

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Abolish the home office comes straight from the mind kampf in The Thick of It series 4.

Yes and ho.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Idk, there might be less terrorism to counter if you didn't have counter-terrorism goobers intervene whenever one of their assets gets picked up for honestly filling out the "Do you want to commit terrorism" question at the airport.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Mar 11, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Counter terrorism is when a state we like does terrorism

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Go ahead, throw your vote away

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Domestic terrorism mentioned? As good a time as any to say the territorial army drilled with british gladio franchise Column 88, neo-nazi terrorist group like two steps removed from that skinhead oval office who nailbombed gay pubs

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Abolish the home office comes straight from the mind kampf in The Thick of It series 4.

Yes and ho.

Russian warship, go gently caress yourself!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
you can have a terrorism, as a treat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

"Abolish X" is usually a really bad slogan unless you're willing to spend 5 minutes elucidating how you're going to replace / reform what you're abolishing (which the OP ends up doing in the comments)

I agree the Home Office should be broken up and migration made its own office run in an egalitarian humane way, "Abolish the Home Office" doesn't convey that

I want it and all its permanent employees thrown into a giant blender op

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Not So Fast posted:

I don't think you understand sloganeering OP. The idea is for something short and snappy that might make you want to know more, rather than something long and factually accurate but boring. "Demand the impossible", "property is theft", "all power to the Soviets", there's more complex meanings behind all of these that are harder to convey in 8 words of fewer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think you understand sloganeering OP. The idea is for something short and snappy that might make you want to know more, rather than something long and factually accurate but boring. "Demand the impossible", "property is theft", "all power to the Soviets", there's more complex meanings behind all of these that are harder to convey in 8 words of fewer

Yeah you need 14 words for that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

Yeah you need 14 words for that

LOL

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

people understand sloganeering they just think it's a poo poo slogan

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Impressed nobody scabbed and did commentary for MotD

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

woah hang on now, googling things is Leon’s job

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Trying posted:

Impressed nobody scabbed and did commentary for MotD

it was absolutely dire, had to switch it off after 5 minutes

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Not So Fast posted:

I want to abolish your posting

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlORWhsJjNM
E: how do youtube embeds work again

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 11:25 on Mar 12, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Automatically (at least on browser) if you just paste a link without typing in any BBCode beforehand.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"abolish the home office" is more obviously unworkable than its predecessor, "abolish ICE" which was already not a good slogan

when you write "abolish" something, the most parsimonious interpretation is that you don't think that the things that the entity is doing need doing. when this includes stuff like issuing passports, it immediately hits a snag. "break up the home office" would probably have been better because it allows more leeway for the listener, but it's less snappy

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
2.5 million people watched MOTD, 500k bigger than usual. Take that, woke Lineker. It’s coming home.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Quotey posted:

2.5 million people watched MOTD, 500k bigger than usual. Take that, woke Lineker. It’s coming home.

It was coming home but it got stopped at the border and deported to Rwanda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Policing your own tone so rigorously that it's brought up every single time anybody says anything, toward the end that people who don't believe anything and have no ideology beyond believing that you, personally, are no better than a terrorist because you don't worship business owners and landlords, is sure to work this time.