Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

That is a crime against Southernism.

The meat looks fine-ish. No smoke ring but not in the realm of Lincoln Riley embarrassment.

The mac is a crime against humanity though. It’s so easy to do decent mac with a roux. Why phone it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

is that supposed to be toast in the middle, or did they just hit some bread with non-stick butter-'flavored' spray & call it good?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

That is a crime against Southernism.

Virginia is only vestigially Southern at this point

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
That’s just macaroni. I see no cheese

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

dirty shrimp money posted:

Virginia is only vestigially Southern at this point

everything north of fredricksburg isn’t southern, yes

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

All this food talk makin me hungry.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Steel angel, any updates on your job situation?

I forgot what field you were in, I think at one point hospitality but that was a while ago

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Steel angel, any updates on your job situation?

I forgot what field you were in, I think at one point hospitality but that was a while ago

Did the unemployment filing yesterday, taking the weekend and probably next week to decompress and destress.

I was in accounting/billing for a nurse staffing agency.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Did the unemployment filing yesterday, taking the weekend and probably next week to decompress and destress.

Did you get a severance? I filed for unemployment but they denied it because the company that laid me off had given me one.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Joey Freshwater posted:

That’s just macaroni. I see no cheese

The cheese is on the side

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

Good for you man. Handling business and handling mental health. We are here for you my friend :)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Did you get a severance? I filed for unemployment but they denied it because the company that laid me off had given me one.

I did not! Just standard pto payout. Which was a decent chunk.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

That’s good you should be fine for unemployment then. Sorry that happened dude

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

poo poo, sorry to hear that man.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Can’t believe you just got fired from the Twitter accounting department.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I got a 2 qt Cuisinart ice cream maker for my birthday earlier this week and used it for the first time today. I made cucumber basil lime sorbet that turned out really great. Will def bec making out again in the summer.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Can’t believe you just got fired from the Twitter accounting department.

I lolled

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Oh wait, this is why stoners never shut up about getting high, I forgot

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watched Heat on the big screen tonight.

Anybody want some pie?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

Watched Heat on the big screen tonight.

Anybody want some pie?

Heat is on Hulu and I am watching it in pieces over the course of the week.

Brilliant movie.

Only a few flaws in it and one is that the long haired dude manages to escape so easily at the start. Seems kind of silly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Such a classic, and inspired the best gunfight in LA history (somehow no actual people or even cops got killed.) I used to drive by this every day on my commute to Hollywood and it's so mundane a location.
https://abc7.com/north-hollywood-bank-robbery-shootout-1997-la-true-crime/11550573/

Took them on with 6-shooters and balls, nowadays cops are afraid of 17 year old incels.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Such a classic, and inspired the best gunfight in LA history (somehow no actual people or even cops got killed.) I used to drive by this every day on my commute to Hollywood and it's so mundane a location.
https://abc7.com/north-hollywood-bank-robbery-shootout-1997-la-true-crime/11550573/

Took them on with 6-shooters and balls, nowadays cops are afraid of 17 year old incels.

I remember watching clips of that shootout on those police video shows Fox used to air, it made for amazing TV.

Shame about what it did to policing the country over

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shinji2015 posted:

I remember watching clips of that shootout on those police video shows Fox used to air, it made for amazing TV.

Shame about what it did to policing the country over

Agreed. I used to really enjoy COPS in the olden tymes, now it's just unwatchable fascists bullying people.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Agreed. I used to really enjoy COPS in the olden tymes, now it's just unwatchable fascists bullying people.

I mean, cops have always been fascist bullies, but the reaction to that shootout was a direct contributor to the militization of the police, which made it worse

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When did cops start wearing black? It's called the thin blue line, people say "Blue Lives Matter" and "Back the Blue" but I can't remember when I last saw a cop wearing blue.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

When did cops start wearing black? It's called the thin blue line, people say "Blue Lives Matter" and "Back the Blue" but I can't remember when I last saw a cop wearing blue.

I don’t remember exactly either, but it’s another step of the greater militarization that’s happened the past ~20 years or so. Things like WTO in Seattle and all of the hand-me-down military toys coming to American police are all on the same timeline.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shinji2015 posted:

I mean, cops have always been fascist bullies, but the reaction to that shootout was a direct contributor to the militization of the police, which made it worse

Yeah, I feel like at some point at least a percentage of them (cops in general, not just on the TV show) got into it with the intention of doing Good Things, obviously ACAB holds true to this day but the percentage of failsons in the police forces seemed to have been less ridiculous in days of yore.

Most of those old COPS episodes show police actually doing the right thing in most cases (cherrypicked obviously, but they didn't need 4 seasons of footage to have one 3 minute clip of a cop not shooting a person for nothing or idly being racist like now) - it wasn't until they started doing weird entrapment schemes to trick lonely passers-by into agreeing to pay for sex they weren't looking for in the first place that it started to become obvious that Suck was on the forecast. Probably coincided with the era where real life cops started getting free toys from military surpluses and began dressing in balaclavas and anti-terror gear and pretending they were Big Heroes in Iraq doing Fallujah raids when they had to talk to the local drunk about a vandalism case in Mayberry or whatever.

And now all the cops are loving pepe meme guys. whomp whomp

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Skwirl posted:

I think it obviously varies from department to department, since not all of them wore blue at all, but I’d broadly say the 90s.

Like, an easy example I can use since I know it offhand is the NYPD. The uniforms they had for several decades up until the early-mid 70s were a dark navy blue that could be mistaken for black in poor lighting or if they were wet or whatever. In the mid-70s, they introduced a lighter blue work shirt looking one as a summer uniform, which you can see in a lot of movies and TV shows through the 80s and early 90s (Early seasons of Law & Order, for example), but in the mid-90s they largely went back to a very dark navy color for everything, and then within a few years you start getting bullet proof vests and more gear added on to give even a regular cop a more military look.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
So my girlfriend just surprised me and told me she is taking me to Chicago for a weekend in celebration of my birthday. Going to a game at Wrigley has been a lifelong dream of mine since I was a kid so she made it happen. Our schedule is going to be fairly tight with the ballgame and going to the Art Institute. But I know there are a couple of residents here and also people who have been there plenty. So I was wanting to ask if there was any can't miss food places to try out? Also if something that should be seen if it doesn't take too long?

Thanks in advance!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SundayMoney posted:

So my girlfriend just surprised me and told me she is taking me to Chicago for a weekend in celebration of my birthday. Going to a game at Wrigley has been a lifelong dream of mine since I was a kid so she made it happen. Our schedule is going to be fairly tight with the ballgame and going to the Art Institute. But I know there are a couple of residents here and also people who have been there plenty. So I was wanting to ask if there was any can't miss food places to try out? Also if something that should be seen if it doesn't take too long?

Thanks in advance!

Where are you staying? I’m assuming in the loop or river north. Assuming you are, take the L to Wrigley or the AI. Beats the hell out of paying a poo poo ton for a Lyft or something.

For food, is there any type/style you really like? There’s a thousand great places to eat, so wildling down a little would help.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pequod's for deep dish. Lou's and Giordano's are butt

Incidentally I'll be in Chicago Easter weekend and am going to a Cubs game too. Hoping to see deGrom pitch.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Where are you staying? I’m assuming in the loop or river north. Assuming you are, take the L to Wrigley or the AI. Beats the hell out of paying a poo poo ton for a Lyft or something.

For food, is there any type/style you really like? There’s a thousand great places to eat, so wildling down a little would help.

We haven't settled on somewhere specific yet but closer to the Art institute was the thinking.

Girlfriend has made a reservation for Pequod's and going to grab a hot dog at Wrigley. We are both fans of steakhouses and Mexican restaurants. She actually was a world traveler so there's not a cuisine she isn't a fan of.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Skwirl posted:

Around 1988 you saw a big switch from baby blue for cops/khaki or tan for sheriff's deputies nationwide to more intimidating color schemes. It was part of an overall national shift to law enforcement's attitude being at war with the general public, and it manifested itself in various ways like the milsurp programs or that Killology shithead training departments around the country.

It wasn't just in the uniforms; you also saw the cars and equipment get a lot more miitarized or deliberately intimidating. For instance, here's an early 80s AL state trooper versus today's:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

SundayMoney posted:

We haven't settled on somewhere specific yet but closer to the Art institute was the thinking.

Girlfriend has made a reservation for Pequod's and going to grab a hot dog at Wrigley. We are both fans of steakhouses and Mexican restaurants. She actually was a world traveler so there's not a cuisine she isn't a fan of.

Pequod's is really good, you made a good choice there. Mexican I really like Mi Tocoya in Logan square, it's maybe a 1/2 mile walk from the California blue line stop. Logan Square has a ton of food and drink places that are great, so it's a good place to spend an evening walking around. I'm the wrong guy to ask about steak houses, but you could try Tango Sur in Lakeview, it's not too far from Wrigley Field either. Otherwise, I hear good things about Gibson's, Gene & Georgetti's for that classic Italian steakhouse place, or Maple & Ash.

General other restaurant recommendations, Au Cheval or Small Cheval for really good burgers, Publican, Lula's, Eataly, Ina Mae (southern/Louisiana style), Jeni's Ice Cream or Black Dog Gelato, Floriole for baked goods, Parson's or Honey Butter for fired chicken, and Handlebar for vegetarian. For drinks I like Hopleaf, Billy Sunday, City Winery, Maria's Packaged Goods, and Marz. I probably forgot a dozen other places to recommend.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Pequod's is really good, you made a good choice there. Mexican I really like Mi Tocoya in Logan square, it's maybe a 1/2 mile walk from the California blue line stop. Logan Square has a ton of food and drink places that are great, so it's a good place to spend an evening walking around. I'm the wrong guy to ask about steak houses, but you could try Tango Sur in Lakeview, it's not too far from Wrigley Field either. Otherwise, I hear good things about Gibson's, Gene & Georgetti's for that classic Italian steakhouse place, or Maple & Ash.

General other restaurant recommendations, Au Cheval or Small Cheval for really good burgers, Publican, Lula's, Eataly, Ina Mae (southern/Louisiana style), Jeni's Ice Cream or Black Dog Gelato, Floriole for baked goods, Parson's or Honey Butter for fired chicken, and Handlebar for vegetarian. For drinks I like Hopleaf, Billy Sunday, City Winery, Maria's Packaged Goods, and Marz. I probably forgot a dozen other places to recommend.

Bird I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tango Sur is a great call. They have a wine shop next door that you can grab a bottle and take it into Tango. The food is amazing too

Eataly is great too just for the experience of it all

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/eagIesbetter/status/1634600334436827145

The best part is the mac with cheese on the side

I don't know where in Virginia this place is, but they belong in Ohio

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/eagIesbetter/status/1634600334436827145

The best part is the mac with cheese on the side

I’ll make everyone feel better, I spent $150 at Costco yesterday (not pictured, my 19lb Prime brisket hiding out in the freezer for whenever I have time to smoke that)

DINO BONES

Pork belly, brisket style

Pork Belly ends

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I want to eat all of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

SundayMoney posted:

Bird I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this!

We have a lot of practice in the Chicago LAN thread.