Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Going back to the switch will also suddenly destroy your hands and wrists if you’re over 30

I'm 29 and I immediately bought a grip for the switch after getting the deck. in my defense, I mostly had it docked before

Tayter Swift posted:

Shame Dead Cells still shits up the audio on wake

https://plugins.deckbrew.xyz/

Paused Games plugin kind of fixed my audio issues upon waking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

loudog999 posted:

Started at 125 but slowly was easing it up until I think I got near or to 150 before getting control of myself and stopping. I think I have it at 130 now.

I think the tutorials or reviewers all kind of put it somewhere between 130-140.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gonna' give a big ol' thank you to you Steam Deck buyers.

Tonight I broke up with Windows after 32 years together because you don't force me to install updates you piece of poo poo, and now most of the games I play run better in Proton now than they did in Windows.

Wouldn't be here without you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Playing Portal 2 for the first time ever thanks to the deck.

This game is so good I hope it never ends.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Love my deck something fierce, hate Valve with all my heart for not making a part three of anything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Love my deck something fierce, hate Valve with all my heart for not making a part three of anything.

Don't hate valve for failing arithmetic
though even the Tootsie Pop Owl can count to three, at least.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Mescal posted:

you play that? how the hell do you press the buttons to make the things work? it's broken on deck

The default control scheme works great, don’t gently caress with the community profiles they seem totally broken to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rolo posted:

Enjoy, it’s one of the all-timers. It still looks great today and the animation work in it honestly looks better than 99% of stuff that came out since. You could argue it’s Valve’s best game and I wouldn’t disagree. Masterpiece!

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

CSS Loader in Decky has a 'theme' called Custom Loader which changes the Steam loading screen when starting a game to your own gif, with some included like a bendy cat.

Love watching a bendy circular cat every time I start a game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Super No Vacancy posted:

its annoying the only anydesk purchase options are a corporate license for like $30 a month or whatever. i just want to use it for my deck and rarely my work pc and would pay $20 once to get rid of the FREE PERSONAL LICENSE banner or whatever

A few pages back but I was an advocate for anydesk until this poo poo happened.

So I looked for other options and ended up just going down the filezilla FTP route.

It took maybe 10 minutes to set up tops and it's actually more straightforward to transfer files than anydesk.

Doesn't have the remote desktop though, but then again I only used that to navigate to different folders on the SD card that anydesk couldn't see.

Edit:the only confusing thing was when setting a password for the deck on the terminal. It looks like you're not typing anything in but it actually is and is just a security thing incase there's someone peeking over your shoulder.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

The back bumpers suck and I hate using them. Give me another trigger instead!

Note: I like that they're there, I'm just saying I don't like pushing them. It's like, I don't know, the leverage sucks?

Make sure you're pressing the right part of them, they are basically rocker switches and most people naturally default to trying to use the wrong "half".

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I jot the jseaux backplate and the differently shaped back Buttons feel so good

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rolo posted:

How much percent do you lose in like a night of sleepy time?

A couple. It barely leaves the house and I have a billion chargers all over so I don't really care.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I jot the jseaux backplate and the differently shaped back Buttons feel so good

My blue one just landed in CA from China after almost two weeks from order. Should be here soon! I don't mind the stock back buttons too bad but it's cool that the JSAUX back plate comes with other options to try out.

...this time I'll remember to remove the SDcard before pulling the back off. Luckily I didn't break mine the first time, it just flew out of the socket across the room.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pitre posted:

My blue one just landed in CA from China after almost two weeks from order. Should be here soon! I don't mind the stock back buttons too bad but it's cool that the JSAUX back plate comes with other options to try out.

...this time I'll remember to remove the SDcard before pulling the back off. Luckily I didn't break mine the first time, it just flew out of the socket across the room.

I ordered when they only had the clear one without color, would have loved purple

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

Especially compared to the first game it’s pretty dang long

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Portal and 2 really were a triumph of game design and it's a shame they got memed to death

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You can still play the Portal games. They survived the memes lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sure, I just meant wrt their place in culture

Portal is absolutely a game to show your kids once they hit the right age

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I use the Futurama video as well.

My 3DS has a dreamcast theme that makes the console boot noise and "spins up the cd drive"

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
This site is an awesome device for playing Pentiment.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Talorat posted:

The default control scheme works great, don’t gently caress with the community profiles they seem totally broken to me.

what default scheme? there is none.

i have tried playing darkest dungeon with controller on 3 different PCs, two different steam user profiles, two different controllers, and now steam deck, where i tried a few different schemes. in NO case did it have controller support functional enough to play the game without also a keyboard and mouse. i've asked around a couple times about it too.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 11, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trip report from the Resident Evil 4 demo:

:stare:

I know this gets used a lot, but goddamn, this really seems like this is how it was back when the original came out. The demo ends at the Bingo line, the first meeting with the first villager is super creepy, the whole thing is super creepy, and it looks pretty good. I hope it gets optimized further, but it's also on the RE engine, so maybe this is the best it'll get on the deck. I played with the settings but all it seems to do is lessen the need for the fan to be running at full tilt the whole time.

It's a battery killer for sure, but I expected that.

Edit: I think one of my issues with the game feeling slow is that that's just how they've made it now. I haven't played the remakes of 2 or 3, or even RE7, but I've seen them, and this is obviously in the same vein. That's interesting for this game because the original RE2 and 3 play SO differently than their remakes, you can't really compare speeds between them. However, since this more or less plays almost exactly like the original, the difference in moment to moment pacing and movement is noticeable. You could kind of zip around and everything reacted quickly in the original, and this almost feels sluggish.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 11, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't played the remakes of 2 or 3, or even RE7,

Ahhhhhu play them ASAP they are all incredible

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Mescal posted:

what default scheme? there is none.

i have tried playing darkest dungeon with controller on 3 different PCs, two different steam user profiles, two different controllers, and now steam deck, where i tried a few different schemes. in NO case did it have controller support functional enough to play the game without also a keyboard and mouse. i've asked around a couple times about it too.

Really? Maybe it’s new, it works exactly the same way it did on the switch, with pressing the left and right trigger for the side menus and such.

The template is “Official layout for Darkest Dungeon - Gamepad with Joystick trackpad”

Talorat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 11, 2023

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
Just got my deck yesterday. I'm having a strange issue where internet connectivity is... intermittent(?) in desktop mode. Web pages won't load and Discover will randomly stop while browsing/downloading. As far as I can tell, game mode is working.

Things I've tried:
Restarting
Restore to factory settings from the Steam menu
Switching to a different wireless access point
Using a wired connection on the official dock

Anyone got any ideas before I contact Valve to try to get a replacement?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Do you have a Netgear Nighthawk (or I guess any Netgear) router? Make sure IPv6 is enabled and - for whatever reason - wait like an hour. You'll possibly have to make sure it's on in the Deck's wifi adapter settings in desktop mode too.

Uh if ipv6 is on then try turning it all off instead. I had the exact same thing happen to me when I got my Deck and googling found out I wasn't alone. IPv6 is set to DHCP in the router settings now, so I'm assuming turning it on is what I had to do.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 11, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Megaspam posted:

Just got my deck yesterday. I'm having a strange issue where internet connectivity is... intermittent(?) in desktop mode. Web pages won't load and Discover will randomly stop while browsing/downloading. As far as I can tell, game mode is working.

Things I've tried:
Restarting
Restore to factory settings from the Steam menu
Switching to a different wireless access point
Using a wired connection on the official dock

Anyone got any ideas before I contact Valve to try to get a replacement?

Manually add a DNS server like 8.8.8.8 to your wifi settings.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
When my Deck was doing that it was because of weirdness trying to pair with bluetooth headphones.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ahhhhhu play them ASAP they are all incredible

Other than maybe Powerwash Simulator, I'm not buying anything until I am Metal Gear Solid'd out. I'll add them to my wishlist, though.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
When’s the next big steam sale? I have a big enough back log but I’m finding this thing is perfect for being able to knock out the single player/story driven games on it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

March 16

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

When’s the next big steam sale? I have a big enough back log but I’m finding this thing is perfect for being able to knock out the single player/story driven games on it.

You guys know to check stuff like cdkeys too right?

Also you’re super right. I have so many games I’m gonna be able to finish now that I can just pick it up and go while the TV pumps out dumb poo poo. BOTW was absolutely amazing because I could do exactly that, then Nintendo made odyssey and only a few other decent games over 6 years.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rolo posted:

You guys know to check stuff like cdkeys too right?

Also you’re super right. I have so many games I’m gonna be able to finish now that I can just pick it up and go while the TV pumps out dumb poo poo. BOTW was absolutely amazing because I could do exactly that, then Nintendo made odyssey and only a few other decent games over 6 years.

It's the Deck, who needs cdkeys?

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

Squiggle posted:

Do you have a Netgear Nighthawk (or I guess any Netgear) router? Make sure IPv6 is enabled and - for whatever reason - wait like an hour. You'll possibly have to make sure it's on in the Deck's wifi adapter settings in desktop mode too.

Uh if ipv6 is on then try turning it all off instead. I had the exact same thing happen to me when I got my Deck and googling found out I wasn't alone. IPv6 is set to DHCP in the router settings now, so I'm assuming turning it on is what I had to do.

Yeah, it's a Nighthawk router. I'll play around with the IPv6 setting and cross my fingers. Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Barreft posted:

It's the Deck, who needs cdkeys?

Sometimes their keys are insanely cheap.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I don't buy from any site that isn't listed on isthereanydeal. Thankfully there are so many drat sales all the time that I am drowning myself in a wave of awesome games.

Lately I'm playing Coromon! It is an excellent Deck game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I don't buy from any site that isn't listed on isthereanydeal. Thankfully there are so many drat sales all the time that I am drowning myself in a wave of awesome games.

Lately I'm playing Coromon! It is an excellent Deck game.

I honestly prefer gg.deals more, if only because the site layout is more readable

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished Portal 2. Wow, I wish I knew a decade ago how much I would love this game.

The music, the dialogue, the puzzles, the ending, gah. So good.

Thanks SteenDock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's one of the best games of all time and made a pile of money, but they didn't make the gross domestic product of Finland selling hats or loot crates in it so we'll never get another single-player game from Valve that isn't a loss-leader for a VR headset ever again.