Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

in this episode muscular (is it just me or did he used to be called mustard?) is a stand in for the viewer, who wants to watch a cool fight scene and is disappointed when one does not materialize

this sounds pretty down on the episode but i thought it was overall fine

Mustard was the kid from the summer camp attack that was spreading the gas and brought a gun. He was taken down by two of the class B kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Muscular Moonfish Mustard were the M trio from camp. Only that last of which wasn't shown being sprung from jail. Wonder where he could be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've been enjoying this season a lot but my GF isn't watching it and I've had oeehr things on my mind so I figured I'd take a break. Which I've done since Dabi reveal. Every ep left me on the edge of my seat so I'm wondering if I should just wait tll the season is over and binge it altogether. There's so little...downtime in this season is the thing.

The next season will be the last, though? I guess MHA has gone on longer than I realized. The seasonal approach and stuff makes it all feel so much shorter than most other long runner shounen I know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I've been enjoying this season a lot but my GF isn't watching it and I've had oeehr things on my mind so I figured I'd take a break. Which I've done since Dabi reveal. Every ep left me on the edge of my seat so I'm wondering if I should just wait tll the season is over and binge it altogether. There's so little...downtime in this season is the thing.

The next season will be the last, though? I guess MHA has gone on longer than I realized. The seasonal approach and stuff makes it all feel so much shorter than most other long runner shounen I know.

The manga still isn’t finished yet (and has been kind of slow going lately thanks to the author having some personal issues) so that’s not entirely guaranteed

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think my favorite part of this episode was Deku fighting Muscular in a totally different way than he did the first time. Just a great showcase of how he’s evolved and outclassed the run of the mill villain

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

Muscular Moonfish Mustard were the M trio from camp. Only that last of which wasn't shown being sprung from jail. Wonder where he could be.

Mustard was also a young kid(I think even younger than the main cast), so maybe he wasn't sent to the same prisons. I always thought it was a bit weird they never did anything more with him. You'd think people would be more curious how a kid ended up falling in with a group of serial killers.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I think my favorite part of this episode was Deku fighting Muscular in a totally different way than he did the first time. Just a great showcase of how he’s evolved and outclassed the run of the mill villain

Agreed. I was surprised to see the negative reaction to the fight here, since I feel like that was the only way it could go. Deku already beat the guy before but at huge cost to his body, and since then he's had several life and death encounters, a ton of training, and gained actual literal new powers. A one hit fight against an enemy previously seen as a huge threat is how you show growth.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haven't watched the season yet, how many episodes are left in it?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't watched the season yet, how many episodes are left in it?

There are 7 episodes left in this season I think

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Muscular jobbing to Deku was the only correct way to go, I don't want to see Deku still struggle against a guy from three seasons ago if we're at the end game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yawgmoft posted:

Agreed. I was surprised to see the negative reaction to the fight here, since I feel like that was the only way it could go. Deku already beat the guy before but at huge cost to his body, and since then he's had several life and death encounters, a ton of training, and gained actual literal new powers. A one hit fight against an enemy previously seen as a huge threat is how you show growth.

I remember when this came up in the manga and IIRC the expectation was that it would be a repeat of the last fight except with Deku easily overpowering Muscular just to demonstrate how much stronger he'd physically become, but in retrospect I do like that he ends up styling on him in a completely different way that shows off how he's grown as a tactician

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Whoops, I thought the episode called "Final Performance" was the finale. There are a bunch of episodes left! How silly of me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

These last two episodes were something else from an animation point of view

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Carlosologist posted:

Good or bad because this season has been pretty cheap looking again from what I've seen.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Fabricated posted:

Good or bad because this season has been pretty cheap looking again from what I've seen.

I’d say good because you got some really great action shots of Fa Jin and Deku doing some smashes. It was a lot clearer than what was put out in the manga at the very least

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I would call it better handled than Season 5 so far at least (and I haven’t heard of any upcoming movies this time that could mess up the schedule)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 25, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's good then. Also everyone got to meet best girl this episode.

E: oh right, that was last week. By best girl I mean the giant lady Deku saves.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 25, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Carlosologist posted:

This twitter user does good breakdowns of each MHA Episode and the talent that went into them and the sakuga moments

https://twitter.com/SakugaFang/status/1629543823159296001?t=s_2NkHLplJDMg8pTSG_JrA&s=19

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This is basically the first episode they actually bothered animating and it retroactively makes even the good/okay episodes of the season look like poo poo.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

oh jay posted:

This is basically the first episode they actually bothered animating and it retroactively makes even the good/okay episodes of the season look like poo poo.

It felt like the sports arch from way back when. Much smoother and kinetic then we have seen in a long while.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
EDIT: Misunderstood a post.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This was a darn good episode. Animated well, great development of Nagant, Deku legit gets a great hero moment.

I just can't believe Hawks got Gwen Stacy'd!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
nakamura was involved and i don't remember seeing a single yutapon cube

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I also liked the very subtle reference to Deku’s image training when he used Fa Jin to catch up to Nagant’s bullet. If he can imagine it, he can do it. At least that’s one thing that’s been consistent throughout

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tabletops posted:

nakamura was involved and i don't remember seeing a single yutapon cube
Tragically since nearly the whole fight takes place in midair there just wasn't anything to cube

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Smokescreen, but make it cubes.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Sindai posted:

Tragically since nearly the whole fight takes place in midair there just wasn't anything to cube

Cube the boy

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

drat I am hype as hell for Dark Deku and whatever the hell happens next

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, i'm really liking how the anime is interpreting his costume design for this arc

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
that was good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bakugo’s apology kicked rear end

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Deku: Truly this was My Hero Academia.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
NGL I teared up a little bit during that.

This season is shaping up to be up there as one of the best. The last time episodes hit like this was what? Maybe the school festival arc? Its been a while.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BakuDeku canon?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How many episodes are left this season?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I do kind of wish Vigilante Deku lasted a bit longer. I feel like it loses a little impact when it turns out Deku was only out there for like two weeks.

Then again I guess it also reinforces just how unhealthy that path is that he burned out pretty quickly that way

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Carlosologist posted:

Bakugo’s apology kicked rear end

I wish Deku's reaction was a bit more than just passing out from shock. He never hated Bakugo in the first place but clearly it meant something to him.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

christmas boots posted:

I do kind of wish Vigilante Deku lasted a bit longer. I feel like it loses a little impact when it turns out Deku was only out there for like two weeks.

Then again I guess it also reinforces just how unhealthy that path is that he burned out pretty quickly that way

i mean the dude stopped eating. doesn't take very long to fall apart if you're that off the deep end

anyway, i appreciated the bits of good animation we got this episode and the return of you say run

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was like getting slapped awake. Emotion! My goodness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ochako is best girl, that is all (I like the little touches the anime added to that scene as well)