Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Murgos posted:

Can you elaborate? I’m not following the Hogwarts Legacy space at all. Like, I knew Rowling was pretty lovely but other than making a rich lovely person richer I didn’t know there were other more immediate issues.

My understanding is that the plot of the game involves evil goblin bankers who not only have the classic "racist jewish caricature" designs with big noses and greed and whatnot, but the game also literally portrays Jewish artifacts as Goblin artifacts in like, museums and stuff. And other direct connections to antisemitic tropes. Just to make sure you know the resemblance wasn't an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Murgos posted:

Can you elaborate? I’m not following the Hogwarts Legacy space at all. Like, I knew Rowling was pretty lovely but other than making a rich lovely person richer I didn’t know there were other more immediate issues.

There's a goblin revolution happening during the game's time period that involves more than a few classic anti-Semitic tropes, one of which includes the abduction of wizard children to steal their magic/blood.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's a goblin revolution happening during the game's time period that involves more than a few classic anti-Semitic tropes, one of which includes the abduction of wizard children to steal their magic/blood.

Oh come now, I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that *checks notes* the greedy, duplicitous banker race with long noses, who use shofars to rally their troops, would have anything in common with anti-Semitic stereotypes. PC gone mad, it is!

(This was sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Clarste posted:

My understanding is that the plot of the game involves evil goblin bankers who not only have the classic "racist jewish caricature" designs with big noses and greed and whatnot, but the game also literally portrays Jewish artifacts as Goblin artifacts in like, museums and stuff. And other direct connections to antisemitic tropes. Just to make sure you know the resemblance wasn't an accident.

Yeah but what about Jewey Goldstein? Ravenclaw?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell, you can see fresh examples of that happening literally today. Apparently last night the #1 most popular Crusty Nerds Who Hate Ladies and Black People internet panel show on YouTube had Gavin McInnes on as their center square guest of honor to hear his big brain thoughts on why you should blow up libraries or mow down synagogue with an AR-15 because the made April O'Neill black and thicc in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. And I guess if that wasn't enough he literally whipped out his penis and pissed all over his room live on stream seemingly unprompted for... some reason.
He did what now

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Oh come now, I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that *checks notes* the greedy, duplicitous banker race with long noses, who use shofars to rally their troops, would have anything in common with anti-Semitic stereotypes. PC gone mad, it is!

(This was sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear)

I've never read or watched a HP thing but I came across this Shaun video last year and it does make seem like it's all not just a coincidence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Fox News texts may not be allowed as evidence at trial

https://news.yahoo.com/foxs-pr-woes-may-not-141720747.html

quote:

The messages that led to some of the biggest headlines may never be introduced as evidence when the case goes to trial next month, according to lawyers and legal scholars, including several who are directly involved in the case. Fox is expected to ask a judge to exclude certain texts and emails on the grounds they are not relevant.

But the most powerful legal defense Fox has is the First Amendment, which allows news organizations broad leeway to cover topics and statements made by elected officials. In court, Fox’s lawyers have argued that the network was merely reporting on what Trump and his allies were saying about fraud and Dominion machines — not endorsing those falsehoods.

Bullshit. The messages show a clear disparity between what FOX reporters were saying off air as opposed to on air.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That's a pretty misleading media framing. Plenty of texts that generated headlines won't enter evidence but that won't matter to the outcome of the case, where Fox are pretty widely expected to lose by people with relevant expertise (though it's by no means a gimme - Fox have a fighting chance in the legal system as it stands). Tucker Carlson hating Trump and being tired of him is extremely newsworthy but it isn't relevant to the narrow question of whether Dominion was defamed by Fox coverage. Texts relevant to that question will be included and Dominion should prevail on the merits.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BiggerBoat posted:

Fox News texts may not be allowed as evidence at trial

https://news.yahoo.com/foxs-pr-woes-may-not-141720747.html

Bullshit. The messages show a clear disparity between what FOX reporters were saying off air as opposed to on air.

Bolded the actual important part, this is just Fox's lawyers talking nonsense

quote:

The messages that led to some of the biggest headlines may never be introduced as evidence when the case goes to trial next month, according to lawyers and legal scholars, including several who are directly involved in the case.Fox is expected to ask a judge to exclude certain texts and emails on the grounds they are not relevant.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

pork never goes bad posted:

That's a pretty misleading media framing. Plenty of texts that generated headlines won't enter evidence but that won't matter to the outcome of the case, where Fox are pretty widely expected to lose by people with relevant expertise (though it's by no means a gimme - Fox have a fighting chance in the legal system as it stands). Tucker Carlson hating Trump and being tired of him is extremely newsworthy but it isn't relevant to the narrow question of whether Dominion was defamed by Fox coverage. Texts relevant to that question will be included and Dominion should prevail on the merits.

It's extremely relevant to the questions of whether FNC lied, whether they did it knowingly, and whether the corporation bears responsibility. This is horseshit. Journalists do have a significant defense against defamation under 1A, but Fox has long made it clear the people in question aren't journalists. Even if they were, those texts show they acted in bad faith. They knew, for instance, Sidney Powell was liikely lying and said nothing on air.

This case is also not about what guests said even if that's the right wing framing. This is about the statements by hosts on air and whether it was part of a corporate strategy to cynically push the lies about Dominion to preserve viewership. Guest bookings will be evidence of that, and things said by guests will probably not be so important.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Right wing media seems to have their talking points for the recent events. "SVB was a woke bank full of liberals practicing DEI and now the government is bailing them out because they're Dem voters."

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

ErIog posted:

It's extremely relevant to the questions of whether FNC lied, whether they did it knowingly, and whether the corporation bears responsibility. This is horseshit. Journalists do have a significant defense against defamation under 1A, but Fox has long made it clear the people in question aren't journalists. Even if they were, those texts show they acted in bad faith. They knew, for instance, Sidney Powell was liikely lying and said nothing on air.

This case is also not about what guests said even if that's the right wing framing. This is about the statements by hosts on air and whether it was part of a corporate strategy to cynically push the lies about Dominion to preserve viewership. Guest bookings will be evidence of that, and things said by guests will probably not be so important.

I basically entirely agree with your points here - your examples of texts are ones that are relevant. But Tucker Carlson's "I loving hate him" text about Trump isn't explicitly relevant to the question of whether Fox defamed Dominion, for example. So the media framing is misleading because it's implying that the fact that not all texts that have made headlines will enter evidence actually says something. Not every text that made a headline will enter evidence, that's true, it just doesn't matter because the case won't turn on those texts anyway.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

Right wing media seems to have their talking points for the recent events. "SVB was a woke bank full of liberals practicing DEI and now the government is bailing them out because they're Dem voters."

Not surprising. Chuds blamed the 08 crash on Obama or democrats forcing banks to loan money to black people with bad credit. The failures of capitalism get twisted up by their pretzel logic into a way to justify upholding the status quo.

:ohdear: "If we make it too easy for poor people to buy houses, it will crash the market! Banks aren't racist, they are just operating off the risks the loan won't be repaid!"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's impressive in a way. Facts and reality be damned, they are only fulfilled when they hate other people so obviously transgender people caused a silicon valley venture capital bank to go under. No thought required. No need to engage with reality. Thing happened, thing caused by people I hate, done.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

One of the major depositors was Peter Thiel, known Liberal

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Can someone give me a real basic rundown of what happened with SVB like I'm 5 or have no idea how banks operate?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zipperelli. posted:

Can someone give me a real basic rundown of what happened with SVB like I'm 5 or have no idea how banks operate?

VC techbros are idiots who are all in the same group chat and panicked themselves and did a bank run. Also SVB had successfully lobbied to not be regulated.

https://twitter.com/TNOQuoProQuid/status/1635053963958714369?s=20

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 13, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zipperelli. posted:

From what I've seen, it seems pretty simple compared to regular finance nonsense.

SVB owned lots of low-yield bonds that they bought when interest rates were low. As interest rates increased, those bonds became less valuable, meaning they now didn't have enough assets. Peter Thiel then kicks off a bank run in their billionaire circlejerk chat.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Zipperelli. posted:

Venture capital companies forced their client companies to put all their money into SVB. SVB then put (almost) all the money into uncashable long term (30yr) government bonds that pay 1% interest instead of diversifying.

VC told it's biggest clients to pull out all their cash, and SVB didn't have enough cash on hand to pay it out (see bonds bought above - no one wants them since current rates are ~5%) and everyone panicked as first people there get their money (aka the bank run).

Government came in, and took over since SVB ran out of cash on hand and will work out some kind of deal so the depositers get their cash.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
So once again taxpayers are going to be on the hook for billions of dollars so these VC pissbabies get their money back, while if this happened to any of us, we'd get the FDIC $250,000 and told to gently caress off.

That about right?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The net cost to taxpayers is going to be zero. The FDIC might take a haircut up front (though maybe not, the overall balance of SVB seems to be OK), but they'll get it back from fees from the banks. And they'd probably do this for any bank so as not to cause the entire banking industry to consolidate to the huge banks more than it already is.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zipperelli. posted:

So once again taxpayers are going to be on the hook for billions of dollars so these VC pissbabies get their money back, while if this happened to any of us, we'd get the FDIC $250,000 and told to gently caress off.

That about right?

From just what I've seen that's not precisely the opposite of the truth, but it's closer to that than it is to "about right." The government's pretty solid at making sure depositors get their money back in bank failures and this time is just unusual for how weird the surrounding story is.

Also wondering how much "any of us" having $250,000 in the bank is.

Edit: Wait, I was confusing the thread this was in. Rest of point stands.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 13, 2023

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
“Woke” in Fox terms means “There was a black person who did not immediately denounce all other black people as violent welfare thugs” or “A women went 30 minutes without being assaulted by Roger Ailes.”

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Dr Christmas posted:

“Woke” in Fox terms means “There was a black person who did not immediately denounce all other black people as violent welfare thugs” or “A women went 30 minutes without being assaulted by Roger Ailes.”

Hey now, it also sometimes means "someone suggested burning fossil fuels might be bad for the environment."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jethro posted:

The net cost to taxpayers is going to be zero. The FDIC might take a haircut up front (though maybe not, the overall balance of SVB seems to be OK), but they'll get it back from fees from the banks. And they'd probably do this for any bank so as not to cause the entire banking industry to consolidate to the huge banks more than it already is.

I think there is a cost but it's *maybe* minimal.

The thing the government is doing to 'fix' the liquidity problem of having lots of low yield bonds when no one wants to buy them is to loan the bank the value secured by the bond.

Which is a wash. Really.

I borrow money from you and give you a bond. You need money so I lend you money and you give me back the bond. Sometime in the future the bond comes due and I pay myself off.

So, that would be fine, except for that the way the government gets money is to borrow it with low interest loans in the form of government bonds. So, essentially the government is buying back it's old bonds and replacing them with newer higher interest bonds. Maybe? Except that supposedly this loans are only short term which would mean it does all wash out over the next year. Unless the duration gets extended. So, yeah, something like that.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

That about right?

Think of what happens if the feds don't stabilize the bank and guarantee deposits. There's some good things - VC pissbabies don't get their millions. Some rich people will experience a fraction of the financial instability that their system forces countless people into. But there's also plenty of bad things - many companies can't make payroll, many employees don't get paid, some can't make rent, others can't buy food, for example. And it's not just VCs that used SVB - they had a robust small business lending and banking program, for example. So some small businesses may not be able to pay operating expenses which keep them afloat - think about the bakery that can't buy flour, for example. And SVB had a lot of nonprofit customers. These ripple effects would cause widespread harm. And taking it one step further, bank runs that are not managed well can cause contagion in the banking system and cause either a recession like 08 or even widespread collapse of banking. That'd be real bad for everyone! Frankly, while I think it's good that taxpayers won't be on the hook very much, I'd certainly be happy with some of my tax payments going to prevent this scale of unnecessary suffering until we can actually build a better system.

Eta I got real happy with "for example" here didn't I?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This is what conservatives believe. This idiot is so popular because he's got a paw on the pulse of right wing political beliefs.
https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1635314628191297536?t=5NLLclIcuksmEa8Bm0ECXA&s=19

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

LA and NYC don't even have that bad crime compared to all kinds of other places.

Like, the 25 states that voted for Trump have higher murder rates than the 25 states that voted for Biden, have had them for over 20 years, and over that time period it's gone from about 10% more to 40% more murders in red states. Even when you pull out cities in the red states and not the blue, they've got like 10% more murders over the twenty year period.

Just totally disconnected from reality.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

but but but all my tv and radio shows keep telling me the nyc and la and chicago are bad

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh listening to afternoon NPR and apparently two fundie "documentary" markers have a a save the children doc. Sextortion https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15080212/

billions of children are trafficked. oh also one of their previous docs, Renegade is about some crazy guy that does the whole jewish lizards thing.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just the same old satanic panic bullshit, reskinned yet again. You could probably draw a straight line from Salem.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's a bailout that's most likely not going to cost the government money because at the end of the day it's loans that are covered by banks pledging government treasuries as collateral.

Just more galling special treatment for the rich, if I keep my retirement in treasury bonds and their value crashes right when I need to get some cash is the government going to step in with a friendly loan so I don't have to take a huge haircut selling bonds into a bear market, of course not. I'd just be eating cat food to teach me a lesson about personal responsibility.

Just like TARP, technically the government made money off the program by the end of it, but it wasn't for everybody, it was just a lifeline to Wall Street while ordinary people lost their homes even though a government rescue package for them to refinance ARMs to low fixed-rate mortgages could well have been profitable

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mobby_6kl posted:

From what I've seen, it seems pretty simple compared to regular finance nonsense.

SVB owned lots of low-yield bonds that they bought when interest rates were low. As interest rates increased, those bonds became less valuable, meaning they now didn't have enough assets. Peter Thiel then kicks off a bank run in their billionaire circlejerk chat.

I've read several long articles, seen a few documentaries and watched a few dramas that get into the cause of the 2008 crash and I still don't loving understand it.

But the common refrain I hear in social settings is always "the government forced banks to give loans to people that couldn't afford it" and it's always from some CHUD type so I have my doubts that it's that simple.

Along similar lines, these two bank failures are apparently totally because of the government which naturally means it was Biden's fault but I didn't listen long enough to get details. Hannity is going to have a bunch of "economists" on his show tonight that will likely delve into all the details about democrats caused this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The current GOP talking point is that 'woke banks' are the problem now

In fact, apparently DeSantis said that 'woke investing' caused this collapse but of course did not give any details

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I've read several long articles, seen a few documentaries and watched a few dramas that get into the cause of the 2008 crash and I still don't loving understand it.

But the common refrain I hear in social settings is always "the government forced banks to give loans to people that couldn't afford it" and it's always from some CHUD type so I have my doubts that it's that simple.

Along similar lines, these two bank failures are apparently totally because of the government which naturally means it was Biden's fault but I didn't listen long enough to get details. Hannity is going to have a bunch of "economists" on his show tonight that will likely delve into all the details about democrats caused this.
Dunno if the government forced anyone but banks did give out mortgages to everyone with a pulse. The banks then, because those mortgages were risky, bundled them with other securities and sold them to someone else, thus kind-of hiding the risk. Don't remember exactly what triggered it but all this suddenly became infeasible and, well.

Here's a more detailed but still pretty understandable explanation of SVB situation. Seems roughly in line with what I posted earlier: https://archive.is/CqpVU

Trump bragged about repealing the specific regulation that would've prevented this, but of course it's the woke Biden's fault.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I would suggest that any business capable of going broke from wokeness, probably wasn’t doing too great to begin with.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

BiggerBoat posted:

the banks made profits off of bundling up mortgages and selling them as mortgage backed securities. when the demand for mbs outstripped the supply of credit worthy home buyers, the banks started expanding who they would give a home loan, eventually reaching the point where they were giving loans to anyone who could mostly fill out an application. the widespread practice of coaching applicants or doctoring applications to clear the already rock bottom requirements is well documented and was done to make sure that the mbs pipeline and its lucrative fees didn't dry up

the folks making and bundling the mortgages knew that as long as they could clear the mortgages off their books it didn't matter whether the loans were sound because they made their profit up front. it was assumed that a)they would be able to wind up operations and clear their books of mortgages waiting to be packaged before the market caught on (some did, some didn't), and b)the government would be forced to step in to backstop losses (the so called moral hazard which pretty much was spot on)

one question to ask is, if pressure to make the bad loans came from the government and not the banks, why were the independent rating agencies willing to sign off on all the mbs as investment grade bonds if the banks were being forced to make loans they didn't want to?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

pork never goes bad posted:

LA and NYC don't even have that bad crime compared to all kinds of other places.

Like, the 25 states that voted for Trump have higher murder rates than the 25 states that voted for Biden, have had them for over 20 years, and over that time period it's gone from about 10% more to 40% more murders in red states. Even when you pull out cities in the red states and not the blue, they've got like 10% more murders over the twenty year period.

Just totally disconnected from reality.

Someone on Twitter once pointed out that Jacksonville has a higher murder rate than NYC.

The galaxy brain right wing response was to say that looking at murders per population rate is misleading, you should actually look at the murders per square foot, where Jacksonville is much lower than NYC, therefore proving Jacksonville is better and safer.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mechanical Ape posted:

I would suggest that any business capable of going broke from wokeness, probably wasn’t doing too great to begin with.

see ever time there's a wage increase, and Fox finds a "small biz" shitlord to say "they're closing"

note theyre often in the process of already closing or have already closed months or years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Someone on Twitter once pointed out that Jacksonville has a higher murder rate than NYC.

The galaxy brain right wing response was to say that looking at murders per population rate is misleading, you should actually look at the murders per square foot, where Jacksonville is much lower than NYC, therefore proving Jacksonville is better and safer.

Ah yes, the Oklahoma City is actually a big city logic.