Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

ssb posted:

Is there a good documentary on youtube/netflix/F1TV/whatever about the 2016 battle with Lewis and Nico that anyone would recommend? My wife has gotten interested in F1 recently and I think she'd like to watch something about that based on other things she's enjoyed a lot.

Floz has a good one called the silver war on YouTube but it's not narrated. Just cut together coverage of the races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rhopunzel posted:

has he won 14 middle eastern rally championships

No but he has binned it into a wall during a drag race which is functionally the same thing.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Nick Soapdish posted:

You say that as if it is a bad thing. Can't wait for one of them (Max) to crash the kart and then beat up his competitor with his helmet like that one dude did a few years ago

i don't know if you are alluding to this, but Jos Verstappen famously beat up some amateur guy who beat him at karts one time

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Zedd posted:

I head the this one is pretty good and the parts I've skimmed seem solid:
"The Silver War" it's a re-upload cause the original tends to get nuked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxIRc1m9NT4

acidx posted:

Floz has a good one called the silver war on YouTube but it's not narrated. Just cut together coverage of the races.

Thanks, this should do nicely!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That documentary is killing me because it’s widescreen and so they cropped off the top quarter of the onboards and it’s just grey track left.

(Or maybe that’s to stop copyright strikes, but do not like.)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

Unironically this.

It is my favourite ever season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

1986 loving owns as a season. the 80s as a whole had some banger seasons tbh just a terrific era

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Khablam posted:

Max was level on points going into the final race despite
- being punted out of one race by lewis
- getting half his car torn off in the next race by bottas
- pirelli QC costing him a win at Baku

Mind you it was more about Max driving a faultless season whilst Lewis spun himself off several times, than it was about RBR vs Merc.

Yeah lewis had a few stupid errors that cost him big. Brake magic in Baku being the one that stands out to me

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

1986 loving owns as a season. the 80s as a whole had some banger seasons tbh just a terrific era

Every season from 1980-1991 is good to great.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Yeah lewis had a few stupid errors that cost him big. Brake magic in Baku being the one that stands out to me

I would say too the RBR/MB were dead even more or less even if Mercedes-Benz won the WCC. The RBR was slightly faster in qualifying trim, the MB better in races. I’d argue too the Honda had better drivability and didn’t have a significant power drop off as they aged, unlike the Mercedes-Benz motors seemed to suffer from.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/steiner-not-ashamed-about-explosive-schumacher-criticism-in-drive-to-survive/10442636/

I haven’t watched the Mick episode but it seems so revealing of people’s hearts—and therefore darkly funny—for them to take the inheritor of the mantle of one of the sport’s biggest icons, somebody who it was supposed to be a Big Deal to put into a car and who they were running heartwarming stories about at first, and then say “also now that you’re fired we’re going to let Netflix put out a whole episode of TV about how you’re a fuckup who sucks and your boss hates you, because it will attract slightly more viewers in new market segments.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He doesn't need to worry about his brakes being too hot he's driving too loving slow

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

F1 has so much organic drama that DTS' attempts to inject more drama just come off blatantly cynical

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

"I didn't watch it, but I made the comments, so I remember some of the things I say," Steiner replied.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

ilmucche posted:

Still the funniest thing I’ve seen since I started watching F1

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Mark Webber's scream :xd:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Illusive Man posted:

Still the funniest thing I’ve seen since I started watching F1

This one is up there as well.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like it when max drove directly into a wall that one time

No, the other time

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQH335gRLc

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zedd posted:

This one is up there as well.

https://i.imgur.com/iG5lBMf.mp4

The video is funnier too

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hamilton getting called in for slicks and immediately crashing into a wall at Imola was also pretty funny.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

imagine if ar nando and ar seb were both in this aston this year

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be like Lewis vs Nico except an actual competition with a competent German and not a delusional German

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

It would be like Lewis vs Nico except an actual competition with a competent German and not a delusional German

Uhhhh it was a competition and Nico won???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tony quidtana posted:

Nah, Nico fails.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
fun times at the Monaco hairpin

AirRaid posted:

At the Monaco hairpin:

Bonus in-car footage:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There should be a 360 degree camera planted at the inside of the hairpin

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

tony quidtana posted:

Not sure that's how 'best out of three' works

edit:

Have some classic Hamilberg/Roston images:

Diorama fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 13, 2023

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Nico looks like a Ken doll that was left in the sun and the face is getting melty

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's just his super antibodies

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This happened to be the weekend I was with a bunch of college friends who had never watched a formula one race and they were all eager to get explanations of the sport as the race happened.

This whole sequence I just had to be like “I’ve never seen this and I have no idea what was going on.” Lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This happened to be the weekend I was with a bunch of college friends who had never watched a formula one race and they were all eager to get explanations of the sport as the race happened.

This whole sequence I just had to be like “I’ve never seen this and I have no idea what was going on.” Lol

Bono my tyres are gone wrong

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So uh what did happen there?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Going off of memory, there was a crash that brought out a safety car after just a lap or two of intermediate tire running. The track was drying quickly and everyone knew that even despite the chaos in the pits, it would be better to change tires and take a pitlane start so you’d be on the right tires and not have to take a green flag pit stop.

Lewis was the only driver that didn’t do this and quickly got swallowed by the field and had to pit.

(It may have been going from wet>intermediate and not imternediate>dry, I forget)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

^^ e: I could have sworn that the race hadn't even started yet

Track was wet and parts had some rain on it during the warmup and formation lap but to 19/20 of the drivers it looked like it was drying enough to start on slicks so they ate the penalty of starting from the pit to switch out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Track was wet and parts had some rain on it during the warmup and formation lap but to 19/20 of the drivers it looked like it was drying enough to start on slicks so they ate the penalty of starting from the pit to switch out.

Wasn’t it a standing restart? Or was this the actual race start lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I'd have to do more research than I'm willing to do to confirm, but in my head canon it was lights out and away we Hamilton goes

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Standing restart, you can see it says they’re on lap four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was Bottas Bowling that forced a restart wasn't it?