Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Thoguh posted:

The fact that depositors were almost assured of getting the overwhelming majority of their money after a fairly short period of time is part of why this move was so insane. The rich people weren't even going to take more than a minor loss on this, if any at all! Any reasonably well run company caught out of sorts by this would have been able to find a way to get some cash flow for the time period between now and when their money re-appeared and any rich person caught out by this would have simply had a little less money for a few weeks or maybe a few months at most. There was no need to do this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Repostin for the new thread

This is an insanely shaky pull but First Republic iirc was one of the worst of the mbs issuing banks in the aughts and was bailed out twice thru deals engineered with the fed govt

quote:

On January 29, 2007, First Republic announced they would be purchased by Merrill Lynch for $1.8 billion.[11] The company was to be operated as a separate business of Merrill Lynch.[12] The Merrill transaction was finalized on September 21, 2007. Robert J. McCann, president of Merrill's Global Wealth Management group stated their purpose was to accelerate their strategy of "growing our high net worth, private banking business."[13] Over the same weekend that Lehman Brothers Holdings filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, on September 15, 2008, Merrill Lynch and its subsidiaries were acquired by Bank of America.[14]

In October 2009, Bank of America sold First Republic Bank to a group of private investors.

What has it been up to recently?

quote:

First Republic is preparing a private-label residential mortgage-backed securities transaction and could be the first bank to launch this type of deal since the coronavirus initially roiled U.S. markets in mid-March.

"Prior to COVID happening, the market was having its best year since the [2007-2008] crisis happened, but having the pandemic just really changed plans for everyone," said Susan Hosterman, senior director at Fitch Ratings. "Now we're starting to see issuance come back."

Are any mainstream media or politicians gonna mention this?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mr Hootington posted:

Markets are convinced the fed will pause or cut rates now

they will

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This fucker's face does me severe damage every time it's posted.

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol wtf is up with number today?

- woke up at 0800 number red all stocks down.
- finished catching up with the thread by 08200 number up????????????

So many bargains to buy. I hear that HSBC picked up the British operations of a bank for £1 today!

Also throw Bill Ackman into a prison. Ideally a prison located at the bottom of the Marianas Trench

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Cmon Powell. Do number a solid and put in for a 50bps hike!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

were going to let inflation keep rising because ultimately the poor suffer the turds at the top their fine

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Has any rich people jumped out of a window yet?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh sweet gonna see waffle houses converted into We Buy Gold again

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

wonder if we’ll get a doped up Joe Biden speech around 3 to try and massage things upwards before close

a second presser by ol joe would be catastrophic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Gonna need an alt check on Pepe and Hoot

?????

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Has any rich people jumped out of a window yet?

yes but into a swimming pool full of cash

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was making a joke that the person cheering you on as an IK is a puppet account

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

poor regional mom and pop banks about to go belly up

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

inflation you say????????

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was making a joke that the person cheering you on as an IK is a puppet account

Oh. So pepe is CBO? Because I'm supposedly a CBO alt

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
something tells me china or maybe russia were involved in creating this fud on social media. tiktok must be banned immediately.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Banking Real Hahahaha Dude Just Walk Away From The Economy Like Dude Close Your Accounts Haha

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

HallelujahLee posted:

i legit forgot i was in there but its good for some laughs and by laughs i mean at the lengths they will go to protect and absolve dems

okay you can just spend a month in our reeducation camp then. thanks for your honesty

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
when does the Fed announce BPS number?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think they're gonna do 50 again. Guess we'll have to see.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

something tells me china or maybe russia were involved in creating this fud on social media. tiktok must be banned immediately.

I want this to be fake news that spreads in lib circles. Drive us all insane knowing it was Peter theil and 200 tech ceo morons who did it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

March 22

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

What the gently caress. It’s my blood and I want it now!!!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

mistermojo posted:

poor regional mom and pop banks about to go belly up

they shouldnt have went woke

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

okay you can just spend a month in our reeducation camp then. thanks for your honesty

fair

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

nah 25 bps at least

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

good call,
mods, could be we get Hootington made IK again for the new thread?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1635084484784672769

:hmmyes:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh. So pepe is CBO? Because I'm supposedly a CBO alt

I'll accuse you of many things, but never of being the Congressional Budget Office

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

lmao

lets go unregulated securities love da unregulated securites

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

Next week, but CPI is tomorrow. If it's still elevated that makes it much less likely that the Fed pauses.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I want a bank failure

gimmie a bank failure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

What the gently caress. It’s my blood and I want it now!!!

tomorrow is CPI report, inflation will still be going up, rates will raise. There's no pivot coming.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Doom - CANCELLED
Crisis - RESOLVED
Blood - ABSENT

Wrap it up doomailures!!!! The system continues to find innovative ways to stay alive and piss everyone off.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

crisis priced in, ATH by friday

my faith in number is strong

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bitcoin 24k lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I want a bank failure

gimmie a bank failure

Banks cannot fail, they can only be failed

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
still time to buy the first republic dip before it goes to the moon!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

net work error posted:

Bitcoin 24k lol

Number lusts for the sweet sweet nectar of the unregulated markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

still seething about this

e: