Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We are different people, i'd break in for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Horror games where they shoehorn in puzzles are the bane of my existence. However a puzzle game where they throw in some horror elements? Good buddy sign me up

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
See I love the puzzle aspect of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Some day I'm going to put a piano in front of my bathroom and guests will need to play Moonlight Sonata to take a poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never forget starting SH3 in hard puzzle mode then needing to know the order Shakespeare plays were written in.

How hard could it be...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Medullah posted:

See I love the puzzle aspect of Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Some day I'm going to put a piano in front of my bathroom and guests will need to play Moonlight Sonata to take a poo poo

I like the thinking here, but I came up with an alternate solution to this one pretty easily

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

People always joke about terrible, nonsensical locck mechanisms in horror games but if I came across a secure door with a sliding tile puzzle irl I would just leave.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Medullah posted:

*Sounds of Moonlight Sonata being repeatedly played faster and faster as your guest keeps making mistakes two minutes in*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Never forget starting SH3 in hard puzzle mode then needing to know the order Shakespeare plays were written in.

How hard could it be...

Finally my English degree is paying dividends.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sakurazuka posted:

How hard could it be...

You wish the puzzle was that sensical. As Voidburger's excellent LP of the game documented through interviews with the original translator, two of the other most infamous puzzles were straight up bugged; the community had rationalized explanations for the "correct" answers.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sakurazuka posted:

How hard could it be...

I had to Altavista Who this Shrekshpere dude is and what his books are about to solve that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CuddleCryptid posted:

People always joke about terrible, nonsensical locck mechanisms in horror games but if I came across a secure door with a sliding tile puzzle irl I might just leave.

The bit in Glass Onion where one of the characters just smashes the dumbass puzzle box open with a hammer was therapeutic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if you had a gun to your head, would you rather be forced to solve a slide puzzle, or tower of hanoi

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would choose death.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I somehow manage to solve the sliding tile puzzles but just keep swapping tiles and maybe there's a mathematical reason for it but more often than leaves the puzzle on a state where I can solve it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

I somehow manage to solve the sliding tile puzzles but just keep swapping tiles and maybe there's a mathematical reason for it but more often than leaves the puzzle on a state where I can solve it

i've always assumed that you can create sliding tile puzzles in some mathematically optimal way, so that there's a limited number of total moves that can be made given the starting position of the tiles and the open spot available, specifically so that people will eventually find enough traction to get unstuck if they keep spinning their wheels

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, very odd game, especially if you just play it on normal so one of the main characters never appears or gets mentioned again after chapter 9. I was expecting another boss at the end too since the final fight was nothing, though I guess the final piano puzzle was the real boss.

Honestly I think I preferred 5, at least playing as intended with the WiiU controller.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait you have to play on a harder difficulty to see all the content?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finishing the game on hard giving you an extra ending is a series tradition

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Would you say it's a a fairly short game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Took me just over 12 hours to beat, average for a horror game I guess?

Probably didn't count the 20 minutes I lost because I got stuck in doorway and couldn't move and hadn't been near a save point for a while.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Yeah that sounds like a decent length for a horror game. Thanks.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I must be a loving idiot because I didn’t notice the tiles on the sliding box puzzle had literal numbers on them indicating their placement left to right. That made it doable.

I must’ve been so blinded by rage at the sight of it that it totally escaped my vision.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh hey, underwater submarine horror coop Barotrauma has hit 1.0:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

It's not quite my kind of game, being mission based, but it looks like a game I'd like to watch certain groups playing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Morpheus posted:

It's not quite my kind of game, being mission based, but it looks like a game I'd like to watch certain groups playing.

Barotrauma is great and manages some extremely tense and creepy moments while also being a game where we managed to kill one of our team because one of the toilets on the sub didn't have access to oxygen when the door was shut.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Morpheus posted:

The campaign is technically mission based but has an overarching goal you're working toward (getting to the center of Europa) that requires quite a bit of effort. That said, the game is best played multiplayer and the larger the group the better imo. 4 people is about the minimum and you probably want to stick with smaller subs, though the Bot ai has improved significantly so larger subs can be done with some npc hires

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Vermain posted:

i've always assumed that you can create sliding tile puzzles in some mathematically optimal way, so that there's a limited number of total moves that can be made given the starting position of the tiles and the open spot available, specifically so that people will eventually find enough traction to get unstuck if they keep spinning their wheels

yeah, that's what my experience has been ever since i had those minigames on bart vs world on my gamegear

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vermain posted:

if you had a gun to your head, would you rather be forced to solve a slide puzzle, or tower of hanoi

I had to do Tower of Hanoi as a part of a medical screening once and I straight up told the doctor after several minutes "I don't know how to do this at this point".

sad question
May 30, 2020

My first instinct when I am confronted with a sliding puzzle is to frantically move the pieces at random in hope I solve it by accident and don't have to deal with it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just like move them in circles...

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The problem with sliding block puzzles is that they aren't really hard, they're just tedious.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Emrikol posted:

The problem with sliding block puzzles is that they aren't really hard, they're just tedious.

To me it’s like, not only does it kill the pace dead, but it’s incredibly lazy and unimaginative at the same time. It’s like, really? Just don’t have a puzzle here at all if you aren’t going to think up something besides plopping this in there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I had to do Tower of Hanoi as a part of a medical screening once and I straight up told the doctor after several minutes "I don't know how to do this at this point".

It’s unfair of me but the image that comes to mind is of you struggling with a three-tier.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s unfair of me but the image that comes to mind is of you struggling with a three-tier.

To be fair I was fine with the 5-tier one, it's just the weird configurations they did after that threw me.

Still failed the gently caress out of it because it was supposed to be a visualization test but I forgot so I ended up with "false moves: control (8) patient (89)"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 14, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The method of solving sliding tile puzzles has been ingrained into me from playing Windwaker.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Not a horror game (unless you count Sam Barlow's writing :smug:), but you get an achievement/trophy for beating the Solitaire mini-game in Telling Lies. I like to look at trophy stats when I'm bored at work (how many people got this far in the game? Which mini-game did people play the most? etc), and apparently more people are missing the essential childhood experience of "playing Solitaire on the family computer for hours at a time" than I would have assumed. :ohdear:

Just numerous posts of people like "How the gently caress do you play this loving game, gently caress this achievement" and I'm like :confused: :psyduck:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We salute those bereft of seeing the cards bounce around.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I am sad we don't live in a world where doors have trick locks. No one would rob a bank if you need to solve a sliding tile puzzle to open the vault.

Every piece of furniture should be built like del Toro's cabinet of curiosity. Have me turn the correct order of spigots to flush the toilet, gimme that Layton nightmare living.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Read After Burning posted:

Not a horror game (unless you count Sam Barlow's writing :smug:), but you get an achievement/trophy for beating the Solitaire mini-game in Telling Lies. I like to look at trophy stats when I'm bored at work (how many people got this far in the game? Which mini-game did people play the most? etc), and apparently more people are missing the essential childhood experience of "playing Solitaire on the family computer for hours at a time" than I would have assumed. :ohdear:

Just numerous posts of people like "How the gently caress do you play this loving game, gently caress this achievement" and I'm like :confused: :psyduck:

There was a period in my life where I'd play windows Solitare for like 2 hours a night. I still have the addiction, have it on my phone now and try to clear at least one game a night, like a minor mental exercise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Someday I should learn solitaire. Spider was a particular favorite of military watch standers with their Nokia phones circa 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

I am sad we don't live in a world where doors have trick locks. No one would rob a bank if you need to solve a sliding tile puzzle to open the vault.

Every piece of furniture should be built like del Toro's cabinet of curiosity. Have me turn the correct order of spigots to flush the toilet, gimme that Layton nightmare living.

Honestly I don't understand why these billionaires with more money than they know what to do with don't live in Resident Evil mansions. I imagine building a 1:1 replica of the Spencer estate would have to cost less than buying Twitter