Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I honestly played the whole thing with sticks and the amount of times I had to aim in the air was very low. Most puzzles I could take my time setting up then MAYBE shoot a portal directly in front of me while moving.

Nothing was harder than aiming my move-fast gel jumps and that was with the left stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

One of these days I'll spend an hour or two in AimLab and try to force myself to get used to gyro aiming.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pick a game you actually want to play and do it there. You probably already have some installed!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

there's nothing to get used to with gyro aiming, it's the most natural thing in the world. it's not some complex code to crack

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really understand how you're supposed to use gyro aiming. Call me old fashioned but moving the system itself feels way less precise than just using the stick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Momomo posted:

I don't really understand how you're supposed to use gyro aiming. Call me old fashioned but moving the system itself feels way less precise than just using the stick.

Gyro aiming can be fine adjusted but really the answer is just don't, it's not particularly useful

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

there's nothing to get used to with gyro aiming, it's the most natural thing in the world. it's not some complex code to crack

I absolutely have a hard time with it. Every time I got back into a switch Switch shooter I try it and lose patience.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I keep taking my thumb off the stick because I am an idiot.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I use the sticks for big moves and gyro for little ones.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Is gyro aiming on by default, or something you have to toggle and if you do, where is that option?
I do not think I have ever used it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

depends on the game, usually not on by default. easiest thing to do is map it to the right joystick and have it activate by touching the right thumbstick for FPS.
in third person games I have it activate after pressing L2 so when I aim, it goes into gyro mode. you could do this for any FPS with ADS as well.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If anyone ends up playing Graveyard Keeper, note that by default the Deck will run the native Linux version of it, which is fine in itself, but will prevent cloud saves to show on non-linux machines. Setting the compatibility preferences to force it to run through Proton however will run the windows version, and allow it to share cloud saves with Windows Steam. Now I can tend my graveyard from work, yay.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is what I use for basically every shooter:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Set the right trackpad to mouse (trackball mode, medium friction) so you can flick and tap for quick turns and stops, with gyro enabled when touching the trackpad so you can use the two in tandem.

It really is all in the trackpad, I don't use the right stick at all. Flick and tap for large, quick movements to orient yourself, and when you're facing in broadly the right direction you use thumb movements across the trackpad for a larger aiming sweep and gyro for fine tuning. You learn to combine these in smooth, natural movements in no time, I feel totally kneecapped without them.

E: you'll want to experiment with the sensitivity too, so it all feels responsive according to your personal preference.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 13, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Momomo posted:

The problem is that if you increase stick sensitivity to the point where you can make fast sweeping moves, it's often difficult to quickly make precise fine moves.

VideoGames posted:

Is gyro aiming on by default, or something you have to toggle and if you do, where is that option?
I do not think I have ever used it.
It depends on if it's enabled in the Steam Input profile. Some developers may have it enabled by default (but only active when you're physically touching the right-stick or right trackpad).

If it's not enabled, you can usually just set "Gyro Behavior" to "As Joystick" in the game's controller Quick Settings page and it will do something sensible.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It really is all in the trackpad, I don't use the right stick at all. Flick and tap for large, quick movements to orient yourself, and when you're facing in broadly the right direction you use thumb movements across the trackpad for a larger aiming sweep and gyro for fine tuning. You learn to combine these in smooth, natural movements in no time, I feel totally kneecapped without them.
I mostly use the trackpad without gyro too. But I can understand why folks might still have trouble with trackpads and gyro still helps them. Also for the handful of games that don't support gamepad+mouse controls the trackpad "As Joystick" behavior is garbage and I'd rather use right stick+gyro for those.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm really curious if Dr. Fraiser Chain went for Intelligent Qube or Portal for their return to post-SNES gaming.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Got my clear blue back piece on. I was surprised at the high quality of it plus all the extra screws, three options for back buttons, screw driver, and a handy package of condoms they included. Way more than I expected for the low cost. I went with the middle height back buttons and like them so far. I have no issues with the heatsink on the back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The finger condoms are definitely not necessary for doing this but you might have fun wearing them lol

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They were too tight & i had trouble getting them on,so i did it bare.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pitre posted:

Got my clear blue back piece on. I was surprised at the high quality of it plus all the extra screws, three options for back buttons, screw driver, and a handy package of condoms they included. Way more than I expected for the low cost. I went with the middle height back buttons and like them so far. I have no issues with the heatsink on the back.

Gotta say, that looks sick.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pitre posted:

Bold to drink a beer and smoke a cigar while working on electronics but I respect the game.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Welp, sold.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Cmon man we had a class about this in high school

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jokes posted:

Bold to drink a beer and smoke a cigar while working on electronics but I respect the game.

coors light isn't beer, it's swill

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Beer snobs are hilarious because all beer tastes and smells like farty water regardless

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Beer snobs are hilarious because all beer tastes and smells like farty water regardless

I'm sorry your tongue can't tell the difference between obvious flavors :(

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

coors light isn't beer, it's swill

coors light rules. you can crush them and stay the same level of drunk no matter how many you drink. if you want to get more drunk, you just chug one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jokes posted:

coors light rules. you can crush them and stay the same level of drunk no matter how many you drink. if you want to get more drunk, you just chug one.

I'd have to shotgun two of them at once, and I haven't had a drop of alcohol in two weeks? Generally speaking I like a nice heavy lager or IPA

regardless, they don't taste good. If I'm just pouring these things out I may as well do something better like drink tea or flavored water.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

jokes posted:

Just find any 4%ish beer and it'll do the same thing. Often not as cheap, but if price is your focus you can go cheaper than Coors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You're going to regret this when you wake up one morning and there's a new baby Steam Deck

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nancy posted:

Just find any 4%ish beer and it'll do the same thing. Often not as cheap, but if price is your focus you can go cheaper than Coors.

Yeah those rule too

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

folk,s please dont derail this thread to talk about beer

talk about weed instead

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I already have the "internals" sticker back on mine but...I'm thinking thoughts now. Hmm hmm.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mescal posted:

folk,s please dont derail this thread to talk about beer

talk about weed instead

Getting stoned and playing Brotato for an hour is a great way to regret the way you spend your time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Please don't make the rest of us feel inadequate.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

PantsBandit posted:

Getting stoned and playing Brotato for an hour is a great way to regret the way you spend your time.

Just wanna get high and play EDF5 and Vampire Survivors all evening long

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
So are MicroSD really basically as fast as putting an SSD in? Might save myself the trouble and return this SSD for a MicroSD as i also don't have a usb to usb-c adapter to reinstall the OS.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Suran37 posted:

So are MicroSD really basically as fast as putting an SSD in? Might save myself the trouble and return this SSD for a MicroSD as i also don't have a usb to usb-c adapter to reinstall the OS.

For videogames they are. Not for actual data moving tasks. Do not crack open your deck just for videogames.

You're trading seconds of load time during level loads.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Swapping the SSD is very easy if you follow the guide, but you gotta follow the guide

YOU GOTTA FOLLOW THE GUIDE MAN

You should swap the SSD but YOU GOTTA FOLLOW THE GUIDE

YOU GOTTA FOLLOW THE GUIDE TO THE LETTER

DON'T SNAP YOUR SD CARD

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Post the guide then mr. guide requirer

only because I’m going to Chicago for work this week and I might swing by microcenter

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Step one: buy the 512gb steam deck in the first place

There is no step two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Step 2 is putting a 1TB SSD in, to match the 1T MicroSD.