Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It was 2021 Hungary if anyone wants to dig more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Mercedes may have objectively made the wrong decision to have Lewis stay out, but I felt like a lot of the people who came in did it just to do the opposite of what Lewis was doing.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
While they don't do it as often, Mercedes has had some Ferrari level strategy calls.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Lewis also immediately came in and switched after that restart, which put him in the back, but he was in the Mercedes so it was still a pretty easy walk back up to the podium (Alonso notwithstanding).

I remember thinking that shot of him all alone on the starting grid was a pretty good metaphor for the 2014-2020 (minus 2016) seasons.

Dr. Gojo Shioji fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 13, 2023

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Why is there a pace car at the back of the starting lineup?

Are there any good documentaries or videos on the logistics of setting up these little mini basecamps with offices and poo poo every week?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Elendil004 posted:

Are there any good documentaries or videos on the logistics of setting up these little mini basecamps with offices and poo poo every week?

It’s the medical car, not the pace car. It’ll follow the pack for about 2/3rds of the first lap in case on any accidents. It’s proven to be a very good idea.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

EoRaptor posted:

It’s the medical car, not the pace car. It’ll follow the pack for about 2/3rds of the first lap in case on any accidents. It’s proven to be a very good idea.

Oh that makes a ton of sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hungary 2021 was kind of an eh race that was saved by Alonso's defense against Hamilton.

And Ocon repayed Alonso's efforts at Hungary 2022 by driving like a complete rear end against his teammate.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

The pace car cleans up all the poop max leaves on the track because he poops and pees immediately upon getting in the car. It’s the only place he feels comfortable to do that these days. His private jet has a race car cockpit installed in it so he can poo and pee there on long trips

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Still on s2 of Drive to Survive, but just watched Niko Hulkenberg go from 2nd place at home to not having a racecar to drive at Renault anymore, that was painful to watch but I like Ocon more so maybe that's good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the reason why Hamilton wasn't called in to change tyres is because there's a rule that says the teams can't assist the drivers on the formation lap. Drivers can radio in to say they want dry tyres and to get them ready, though.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

ethanol posted:

The pace car cleans up all the poop max leaves on the track because he poops and pees immediately upon getting in the car. It’s the only place he feels comfortable to do that these days. His private jet has a race car cockpit installed in it so he can poo and pee there on long trips

id take that job if i could talk to max for a couple mins after

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Elendil004 posted:

Still on s2 of Drive to Survive, but just watched Niko Hulkenberg go from 2nd place at home to not having a racecar to drive at Renault anymore, that was painful to watch but I like Ocon more so maybe that's good.

Nicrap Hulkingshit

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Charles Leclerc posted:

Nicrap Hulkingshit

Checks out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
KMag: suck my balls

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elendil004 posted:

Don't watch Season 4 and just go ahead and watch the 2021 season in it's entirety. Season 4 of DTS is balls and completely glosses over the major storyline of the 2021 season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Masi vs Toto is the best story.

MIIIiiiichaaaal

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MustardFacial posted:

Don't watch Season 4 and just go ahead and watch the 2021 season in it's entirety. Season 4 of DTS is balls and completely glosses over the major storyline of the 2021 season.

I want to get into the current season so I dont know if I can take a break and do a whole older f1 season.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

MIIIiiiichaaaal

It's a shame that FOM only had the team-to-race-control radio messages for one season. They were great entertainment.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

MIIIiiiichaaaal

"We went racing" may be the best "gently caress you I'm getting fired anyway"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

While they don't do it as often, Mercedes has had some Ferrari level strategy calls.

double stacking George and bottas :xd:

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It's extremely funny to me that Ferrari managed a slick double stack in Bahrain yet still managed to have something else fail

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Season 5 of DTS has a lot of 1000 yard stares out of Ferrari that would make pretty good memes. For that reason alone it's much better than Season 4.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
ferrari is funny. i was watching DTS and charles had his engine stop working. then i turn on the first race this season, charles engine stops working. i turn on a review of the 2008 season, and in the first race the ferrari engine fails.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

e: also a mod should add this to my profile ty

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

"We went racing" may be the best "gently caress you I'm getting fired anyway"

"Toto, it's called a motor race, OK? We went car racing"
:drat:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The spa "race" was some serious bullshit in 2021 as well

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
Ferrari's engine stops working because you all believe it will! Show some Passione!!!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FakeBlood posted:

Ferrari's engine stops working because you all believe it will! Show some Passione!!!

you can believe all you want, it won't make the carbonara sauce they're using for fuel combustible

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Elendil004 posted:

I want to get into the current season so I dont know if I can take a break and do a whole older f1 season.

After the race this weekend, and the Aus GP on April 2, you have a whole month until the race in Baku. An F1 race is 2 hours, and you can skip Spa 2021. You have time if you binge it.

The 2021 season is good and maybe the most important season of F1 since 2009. Rules are changed and whole orgs are restructured because of what happens (a whole subsection of posters here were banned and refused to come back), and DTS barely talks about it.

[edit] actually you could probably just watch the 30 min highlights on youtube for most of the races and then just watch UK, Baku, Hungary, Italy, Brazil, and Abu Dhabi full races

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 13, 2023

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

The spa "race" was some serious bullshit in 2021 as well

Did Lewis ever send that gift to all the fans?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FakeBlood posted:

lol they made a wish powered engine and it still sucks

turns out vasseur got it from wish.com

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

After the race this weekend, and the Aus GP on April 2, you have a whole month until the race in Baku. An F1 race is 2 hours, and you can skip Spa 2021. You have time if you binge it.

The 2021 season is good and maybe the most important season of F1 since 2009. Rules are changed and whole orgs are restructured because of what happens (a whole subsection of posters here were banned and refused to come back), and DTS barely talks about it.

[edit] actually you could probably just watch the 30 min highlights on youtube for most of the races and then just watch UK, Baku, Hungary, Italy, Brazil, and Abu Dhabi full races

This is technically true, but more to the point this season is going to be loving shite so you're better off watching the criminal injustice that was 2021.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Increasingly of the opinion that Ferrari needs to back several trucks packed with money up to Gigi Dall'igna's home and just hire him.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i watched a show about italy's high speed rail lines and was impressed with the level of passione those trains had

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Charles Leclerc posted:

This is technically true, but more to the point this season is going to be loving shite so you're better off watching the criminal injustice that was 2021.

Abu Dhabi 2021 is maybe the hardest I've laughed at an F1 race in my entire life.

The Big Jesus posted:

Did Lewis ever send that gift to all the fans?

I don't think so. He got the clout he wanted from just putting his offer out there.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

the milk machine posted:

i watched a show about italy's high speed rail lines and was impressed with the level of passione those trains had

Same, but their bridge building engineers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't forget their cable car service engineers

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

the milk machine posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't forget their cable car service engineers

I've been to Italy twice, first time in 1998 when I was supposed to be visiting a place called Cavalese on a school trip but some American air force pilots flew into a cable car line and killed about twenty people, so we ended up going to another ski resort, and the second time in 2005 with friends after secondary school; I'd been in Switzerland the week before, marvelling at trains leaving the station exactly as the second hand hit the top of the station clock, as soon as we arrived in Italy I experienced the passione of the (post-Mussolini?) train system and had two trains break down, leaving me to wait at random stations for a replacement. Very nice place though.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Diorama posted:

I've been to Italy twice, first time in 1998 when I was supposed to be visiting a place called Cavalese on a school trip but some American air force pilots flew into a cable car line and killed about twenty people, so we ended up going to another ski resort, and the second time in 2005 with friends after secondary school; I'd been in Switzerland the week before, marvelling at trains leaving the station exactly as the second hand hit the top of the station clock, as soon as we arrived in Italy I experienced the passione of the (post-Mussolini?) train system and had two trains break down, leaving me to wait at random stations for a replacement. Very nice place though.

I used to work for a brewery that was trying to get some international distribution up and running. We had a salesperson visit Italy and all the emails home were increasingly panicked versions of, "Everything is broken and no one cares."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Belgium is also a bit like that.

Spain is where everything is built to a really high standard once, and then if anything breaks after that point it's repaired by someone completely inept, or just left alone.