Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm probably overexaggerating a bit, I was just massively disappointed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The final boss of Banjo Kazooie was so much trickier than anything else that had come before it I was shocked, and then right near beating it because I was playing on NESflix with the WiiU pro controller I discovered that I had not quite understood how the remapping of the c-buttons had gone and I was actually pressing the wrong things constantly.

Maybe if I had an actual N64 controller it would have made more sense and I would not have constantly thrown eggs to my right hand side.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

VideoGames posted:

The final boss of Banjo Kazooie was so much trickier than anything else that had come before it I was shocked, and then right near beating it because I was playing on NESflix with the WiiU pro controller I discovered that I had not quite understood how the remapping of the c-buttons had gone and I was actually pressing the wrong things constantly.

Maybe if I had an actual N64 controller it would have made more sense and I would not have constantly thrown eggs to my right hand side.

It was the first boss I can remember that aims their shots at where you are going to be rather than at where you were. It completely threw me as a kid, until I discovered the pro-strat of running in circles which trivialised the 1st and 3rd phases.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How does Outer Wilds perform on Switch?

Some friends just got one, and we're all lookin' for something to scratch that Obra Dinn itch.

Doesn't have to look / perform great as long as whatever the core concept is comes across (I haven't played it yet either).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

There's definitely times where it feels like Tooie bit off more than it can chew but it's still a good game imo, just don't go into it expecting it to be as good as Kazooie b/c it's not

Bit off more than it can chewie. Come on.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

Some friends just got one, and we're all lookin' for something to scratch that Obra Dinn itch.

Doesn't have to look / perform great as long as whatever the core concept is comes across (I haven't played it yet either).

It's not out, and I don't think it ever will be.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

0fps, 0p

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

VideoGames posted:

Nope, it's not just you. The Grunty fight is just terrible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tooie wasn't as good as BK, but I loved exploring the massive overworld that first time. And then finding all the areas connected together was neat too, even if it just made getting into levels a paint in the rear end and easy to get lost. I just like exploring in games, so I let a lot of that slide. Might be less forgiving on a replay nowadays.

Yooka Laylee was the disappointment for me, didn't even finish it. At this point I just accept BK is the last amazing collection platformer I'll probably ever get to play.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bug Squash posted:

It's not out, and I don't think it ever will be.
As far as I'm concerned, the Outer Wilds announcement actually validates the Switch Pro rumors. It's a game that for semi-spoilery reasons is quite CPU heavy and (given it's still unreleased) simply can't run on the Switch. As long as Nintendo keeps going without announcing a Switch successor they have to keep kicking the Outer Wilds can down the road.

It does run well at 40 FPS on the Steam Deck though--was the first game I played through when I got my Deck and it's fantastic. The only kind-of problem is that if you doze at a campfire to advance time, time doesn't actually advance that much faster since it still has to run all the planetary simulations on the CPU and the Deck's CPU isn't fast enough to do it quickly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i like banjo kazooie i like banjo tooie

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

So, better than payday 2 and ark on launch day? :haw:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i like banjo kazooie i like banjo tooie

I like Nuts & Bolts

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Palmtree Panic posted:

I like Nuts & Bolts

I like Nuts, but not bolts.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Grunty’s Revenge though? Could take it or leave it

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Saxophone posted:

I like Nuts, but not bolts.

I like to Nut, and then Bolt

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BigDumper posted:

I like to Nut, and then Bolt

Big Dumper

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I started playing WH40k mechanicus last night. I highly recommend playing with headphones, because the sound and music in that game is amazing. It adds so much to the atmosphere. I haven't played much yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Gruntys Revenge goes on the NSO app, never played it

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Augus posted:

this is a really big overstatement. the old strategy guide I used to own had maps of each level, they’re not that convoluted. Grunts Industries is the only one that’s really at all confusing.

I had one too, and took it on road trips, etc. so much that it fell apart. I may still have it (or rather, the pages all taped together) actually... :kiddo:

Khanstant posted:

Tooie wasn't as good as BK, but I loved exploring the massive overworld that first time. And then finding all the areas connected together was neat too, even if it just made getting into levels a paint in the rear end and easy to get lost. I just like exploring in games, so I let a lot of that slide.

:same:

I mean, y'all were impressed when Dark Souls did it... :smug:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Augus posted:

I still love Tooie but apparently that’s an unpopular opinion

i actually like it more than the original

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm sorry if this was discussed before, but I just recently saw this video/news about some WiiU units possibly failing due to their NAND flash memory running out of charge because it used cheap components.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHME4zLs6Qs

Of course, it makes me worry about my WiiU in storage right now. However, the video brings up another concern that makes we worry about my Switch/3DS cartridge collection. Could these carts really only have a lifetime of like 20 years?
I remember seeing a few videos a couple years ago about the threat of "disc rot" which made me worry for my CD/DVD-based collection, but that seemed overblown.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I was playing NES Metroid just before. There's a lot of vertical motion. I've never played a Metroid before.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

All storage media will eventually fail, you kind of just have to accept that. Some will last longer than others. They will still exist as physical memorabilia, and emulation will exist at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Future archaeologists can get rekt tho I guess.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Banjo Tooie is a greater game than Kazooie, but it is not necessarily a better one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the way nes Metroid is programmed, the camera can only move along one axis at a time and will always switch axes whenever you go through a door. the game is laid out so that you’re always alternating between horizontal and vertical rooms, you’ll never exit a horizontal room into another horizontal room.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Augus posted:

the way nes Metroid is programmed, the camera can only move along one axis at a time and will always switch axes whenever you go through a door. the game is laid out so that you’re always alternating between horizontal and vertical rooms, you’ll never exit a horizontal room into another horizontal room.
I've never heard this before but:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I've never heard this before but:

Mother Brain room is a special exception.
bottom image is a horizontal room, a vertical room, and then another horizontal room. The ceiling in the middle room is fake and leads up to the varia suit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
apparently the scrolling stuff was a pretty big deal back then, games either didn't scroll or only could in one direction

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Based SMB3 doing both at the same time

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

JazzFlight posted:

I'm sorry if this was discussed before, but I just recently saw this video/news about some WiiU units possibly failing due to their NAND flash memory running out of charge because it used cheap components.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHME4zLs6Qs

Of course, it makes me worry about my WiiU in storage right now. However, the video brings up another concern that makes we worry about my Switch/3DS cartridge collection. Could these carts really only have a lifetime of like 20 years?
I remember seeing a few videos a couple years ago about the threat of "disc rot" which made me worry for my CD/DVD-based collection, but that seemed overblown.

It's all good, none of us will be alive in 20 years.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

SkeletonHero posted:

It's all good, none of us will be alive in 20 years.

i will be :toxx:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hatty posted:

Based SMB3 doing both at the same time

And also having sloped hills

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It was a big deal to get scolling to work on a pc back then. Id software got a working mario game to scroll on pc but nintendo told them to stuff it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I hope Gruntys Revenge goes on the NSO app, never played it

It's alright but pretty short. It'd be a decent game to randomly dump on there but if Nintendo's gonna continue doing the "One GBA game a month" bullshit I'd rather they prioritize other games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

NAND flash is all finite. I'm actually a bit surprised that regular Wiis have lasted as long as they have.

JazzFlight posted:

However, the video brings up another concern that makes we worry about my Switch/3DS cartridge collection. Could these carts really only have a lifetime of like 20 years?
Yes. There's some 3DS Pokémon carts that have already gone bad but those are outliers.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How's the 3DS' internal storage holding up? Is that cheap garbage too?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ugh I think I need help :negative:

Completing my list that is :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can put a SD/microSD in the 3DS, it's all good.