Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

less than 24 hours from bailout to layoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

causing a food chat derail on what should be a red letter day for focusing and celebrating blood and seething at econ and sillicon valley bullshiters is evidence that the cia knows exactly how to defuse populist furor with trite bullshit :colbert:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is no way to keep up with number

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Woke Mind Virus posted:

the efficiency of the tech sector is amazing, isn't it? im simply flabbergasted and have been all weekend

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

BULBASAUR posted:

putting into BOFA atm

BOFA was I think the lowest of the ones we checked, though tbf they didn't just give an upfront table for which term length gave what apy so we coulda missed in when just flipping through their drop down menus.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That's an insanely fast turnaround.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Woke Mind Virus posted:

all my job leads are dead. no one's answered emails since thursday. market is hosed

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

garry tan is a piece of poo poo

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

triple sulk posted:

all my job leads are dead. no one's answered emails since thursday. market is hosed

I’m sorry. that really sucks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

triple sulk posted:

Yield curve de-inverting after being that deeply inverted, historically, points to a very very imminent recession. Given the sharpness of the move, the recession is likely to be similarly sharp.

I tell this not to discourage you but so you know you need to hurry.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what actually happened today

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

still nothing

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Everyone was afraid there'd be a mass bank run, all the regional banks dropped 40% to 85% (before rebounding later today). The stock market dropped, but then once it became clear the Fed and the FDIC was protecting the banks via massive bailouts, everything rallied bigly because they're now anticipating at the very least a rate pause next week, and possibly a rate cut.

Historically, however, rate cuts tend to precede economic recessions and the final legs down on a bear market before we finally bottom out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bank stocks dropped like a rock, VCs and startups successfully got their money out of the two bank corpses

Thats about it

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Rich people turned raisins into grapes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's an insanely fast turnaround.

10 sigma grindset

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm all in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yield curve de-inverting after being that deeply inverted, historically, points to a very very imminent recession. Given the sharpness of the move, the recession is likely to be similarly sharp.

I tell this not to discourage you but so you know you need to hurry.

there's almost nothing i can really do aside from get some poo poo rear end job or pivot careers entirely, but anything i'd probably want to do would not be particularly viable unless i wanted to leech off my spouse's income. while on paper i can fill one of probably three or four different roles right now which does open up my options, the competition wipes out that opportunity unless i magically get lucky over the coming weeks and one of these places actually wants me (and isn't doomed)

i *might* be able to get some kind of IT job in philly's government, but their hiring systems are an absolute disaster from what information i've gathered

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

even if he's not lying and it's unfortunate timing, you think you can wait a little while than literally the first loving day after you get bailed out?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

well theres always tomorrow

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

triple sulk posted:

there's almost nothing i can really do aside from get some poo poo rear end job or pivot careers entirely, but anything i'd probably want to do would not be particularly viable unless i wanted to leech off my spouse's income. while on paper i can fill one of probably three or four different roles right now which does open up my options, the competition wipes out that opportunity unless i magically get lucky over the coming weeks and one of these places actually wants me (and isn't doomed)

i *might* be able to get some kind of IT job in philly's government, but their hiring systems are an absolute disaster from what information i've gathered

Probably just gotta keep plugging away knowing that it's going to be an extremely bad week for hiring

Maybe take a couple days hiking or something to get away from hellworld for a bit

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Bank stocks dropped like a rock, VCs and startups successfully got their money out of the two bank corpses

Thats about it

School lunch is now Lunchables brought you by the Kraft Corporation!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
wow the not-nobel price winners in economics who wrote about how they totally did the right thing to do bailouts in 2008 were right all you need to do is give endless cash to rich people and nothing will ever go bad

today was the end of history, the epilogue finally closed

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

how can there be a recession coming? we gave the techbros and vc ghouls everything they wanted??

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Lpzie posted:

I'm all in

the ball pit is only for kids 4 ft or shorter

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Turnquiet posted:

causing a food chat derail on what should be a red letter day for focusing and celebrating blood and seething at econ and sillicon valley bullshiters is evidence that the cia knows exactly how to defuse populist furor with trite bullshit :colbert:

I think it's more like not much happened since like noon or so

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Well yeah gotta juice the numbers to justify even higher bonuses!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Studio posted:

the ball pit is only for kids 4 ft or shorter

i demand a bailout

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

silicone thrills posted:

the bosch tryptic with all the tiny little demons and pale people all loving and killing each other is so fuckin perf

people tend to think that the ending to pasolini's the canterbury tales is set in hell, but it's actually ny's capitol district

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PoundSand posted:

Anyone getting into short term CD's with these record high rates? We had some money sitting around the last year or two cause it didn't seem like a good idea to park it anywhere near stocks or index funds with how badly our 401ks were making GBS threads themselves, just pulled the trigger on stuffing some in at 5% for 11 months and 4.5% for 19 months this weekend. I figure they might go up a bit more depending on how much the fed wants to squeeze interest rates, or maybe after the banks start crashing they'll back off and all these promo rates will evaporate.

Feels like relatively free money if you don't have the gumption to gamble on buying the dip or whatever.

I spend all my money on rent, food and drugs OP.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Invest in eggs. They last longer than puts and you can eat them if they become worthless.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

I spend all my money on rent, food and drugs OP.
this

also instead of CDs I just put it into vanguard fmm

not like I have much anyways but probably equal risk to my SF bank

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just heard the president is saying no bail outs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

incredibly funny that a meme run on stocks lead to the finacialization of this thread is also being used to crash actual banks by VC lmao.

Anyway does anybody have a summary of what kind of bailout SVB is getting? I hear people saying THIS WILL HE USED TO MAKE SURE EMPLOYEES FET PAID WHILE PUNISHING THE BANK but everyone is going to say that because bailing out bank executives is probably the single least popular action in the country

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Covok posted:

I just heard the president is saying no bail outs.

sources are telling me the white house is planning to ban bailouts today

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
The money supply increasing while the price of weed and video games remains stagnant, the master does nothing and leaves nothing undone

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Agean90 posted:

incredibly funny that a meme run on stocks lead to the finacialization of this thread is also being used to crash actual banks by VC lmao.

Anyway does anybody have a summary of what kind of bailout SVB is getting? I hear people saying THIS WILL HE USED TO MAKE SURE EMPLOYEES FET PAID WHILE PUNISHING THE BANK but everyone is going to say that because bailing out bank executives is probably the single least popular action in the country

The bank is already dead, only the depositors get the bailout out of FDIC funds. So it's more of a VC/startup bailout than a bank bailout. All the SVB bank execs are probably going to get sued into the ground by the shareholders who lost everything within 24 hours. In any case they don't have a job anymore. Other banks could still suffer a similar fate since the FDIC is backstopping people who made deposits but not the banks and their own assets and investments.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

so scratch part of what i said. one of the people finally followed up. so that's something at least, even if i think it probably won't go anywhere

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

The money supply increasing while the price of weed and video games remains stagnant, the master does nothing and leaves nothing undone

Console games increased to $70. Inflation will not spare the gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cramer is "very concerned"

They have lost the Cramer crowd.