Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Yeah, just going to return the SSD and grab a MicroSD for now, it seems that Microcenter is charging the same price for 512GB as the 1TB ones are on Amazon (as far as Sandisk Extreme anyway). Guess I'll be going to Amazon for this one 😫

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Step one: buy the 512gb steam deck in the first place

There is no step two

Buy the 512 and spend $300 more to add 1.5tb of internal drive storage

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Been using a micro sd card with my 256 steam deck can’t tell any load time issues but hey maybe that’s just me

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
YOU GOTTA FOLLOW THE GUIDE!

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
From a while back, but I wanted to chime in that I have been using trackpad as mouse in trackball mode plus gyro for fine adjustments to play FPS games since DOOM 2016 with a steam controller. It works well. The Deck works even more nicely with this since it's got the extra back buttons, which I like to bind to jump/interact/etc. depending on the game.

Some games handle simultaneous kb/m and controller input no problem, but for games that get wonky when you do that, I'll use steam input to map the left stick to WASD and the face/back buttons to whatever keys the game uses. WASD on stick isn't super great, but it works.

I like how the left trackpad acts as a scroll wheel in desktop mode. I'd like to experiment with that in games for cycling weapons. I used to just build a custom menu for it to quickly switch weapons, but setting those up for every game gets a bit tedious.

e:

I've been getting into city builder games lately. Farthest Frontier is only getting about 30 fps at a population of about 60, so I don't expect it to perform well later into the game. I will say it's a more consistent 30, and runs more smoothly than on my desktop, which tends to stutter and hang a lot, but gets better framerates overall. Anybody have city building game recommendations that run well on this thing?

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 14, 2023

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Step 2 is putting a 1TB SSD in, to match the 1T MicroSD.

That's what I did! I'm an unabashed digital hoarder, much to my husband's annoyance.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Suran37 posted:

Yeah, just going to return the SSD and grab a MicroSD for now, it seems that Microcenter is charging the same price for 512GB as the 1TB ones are on Amazon (as far as Sandisk Extreme anyway). Guess I'll be going to Amazon for this one 😫
If you've got a 64 you might want to upgrade the internal drive anyways, even when you install games on the SD card some stuff goes on the drive, and a 64 by most reports will still fill up kinda quickly even if you don't install anything at all on it.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Does Conan Exiles run on this thing? It's down to a tenner and about the only craftosurvivo I haven't tried out yet but people seem very hot on it.

Protondb says "maybe" so I was hoping someone here might've tried.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

LeFishy posted:

Does Conan Exiles run on this thing? It's down to a tenner and about the only craftosurvivo I haven't tried out yet but people seem very hot on it.

It does no problem.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A friend of mine wants to play civ 6 with me soon, how does that run, performance wise? I'll sort myself out with the controls.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A friend of mine wants to play civ 6 with me soon, how does that run, performance wise? I'll sort myself out with the controls.

Clunkier than i expected- but perfectly playable. The UI isnt v well optimised gor handheld screens. I took the graphics down to low just for battery sake

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t imagine playing either portal on a controller as an especially great time, some of those on-the-move placements are pretty tight

Maybe I’ll give it a spin and see for myself

Given how customisable the deck is, is it possible to do a joint controller/mouse setup?

It would maybe require some good arm strength (or propping the deck against something) but connecting a Bluetooth mouse to replace the right stick, while keeping the left stick for movement/strafing sounds like it would be quite comfy.

Is that possible?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LeFishy posted:

I've been curious about this game but I'd only be playing it solo. Is it actually good when you're on your own?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

Clunkier than i expected- but perfectly playable. The UI isnt v well optimised gor handheld screens. I took the graphics down to low just for battery sake

I usually play plugged in, I just want to make sure it plays at at least 30fps, if not 60fps. I'll deal with the UI.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A million years ago, people asked about modding FF12 on the Deck-- myself included. Since you can't run Vortex, there are some things you gotta do, but it's super easy-- easier than I thought.

1) Download FF12 on a normal PC
2) mod the game with Vortex
3) move the entire FF12 folder onto your Deck at the correct install location, deleting anything that was already there (which you can find/create by starting and cancelling the FF12 download on your deck)
4) enter this in the launch options on your Deck:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput8=n,b" %command%

That's it!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Post the guide then mr. guide requirer

only because I’m going to Chicago for work this week and I might swing by microcenter

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+SSD+Replacement/148989

The scary bits:

make sure it's powered off, some people have "hot swapped" their SSD and bricked it

make sure you take the SD out because when you pry open the case you'll snap the SSD

hence:

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE GUIDE

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any benefit of FF12 on Steam Deck over Switch?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, 60 FPS/high graphics and modding.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any benefit of <game> on Steam Deck over Switch?

jokes posted:

Yeah, 60 FPS/high graphics and modding.

I love my Switch and all but aside from most Nintendo exclusives or some other cases*, this edited interaction should be added to the OP.

*like if you want to play unofficial mods or add-ons via emulation (super high res Mario Odyssey, or that massive botw mod I can't remember right now) (edit: Relics of the Past)

Edit: yeah, those too vvvv

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 14, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cheevos baby

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
my switch has been collecting dust since i got my deck and i'm probably only gonna play breath of the kingdoms tears on it this year

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If BOTW is anything to go by, it'll probably play better on the Deck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I doubt there's a single cross-platform PC/Switch game that won't run and look better on the Deck. Different story with emulated ones, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well Nintendo's had plenty chance to pull their finger out but we've seen plenty on how they feel about that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jokes posted:

If BOTW is anything to go by, it'll probably play better on the Deck.

Is there a good guide for botw on the deck? I tried it and it just crashed after the opening cinematic.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I played BOTW when it launched on Wii U and did a pretty bare-bones very blind vanilla playthrough.

Early last year I played it again on PC with higher resolution, higher fps, and some mods. Got all the shrines and started with the motorcycle. Finished the DLC I bought years ago and didn't touch.

Both were fantastic experiences. Hope to do it again with the sequel.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a good guide for botw on the deck? I tried it and it just crashed after the opening cinematic.
Wii U version on CEMU?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 14, 2023

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ever since I got a Steam Deck, I've been prioritizing purchases on that compared to the Switch.
My main concern is that when they announce the Switch 2 (or whatever), it won't be backwards compatible or have a cartridge slot.
Meanwhile, any purchase on Steam is good for any computer you want to install it on going forward, with shared cloud saves for a lot of games. Plus there are way more sales on Steam keys.
It's kind of a no brainer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Plus there are way more sales on Steam keys.
It's kind of a no brainer.

Speaking of, 2 days until the spring steam sale!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone tried Kid Icarus Uprising on steam deck yet? I recall the controls being horrible on 3ds and cramping my hands up real bad but I forget what the control setup actually was lol

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I still think playing Doom 2016 on Deck if you've ever played it on Switch is one of the biggest "holy poo poo" experiences you can have with a Steam Deck.

I'm not making GBS threads on the Switch version either, which is still one of those rare "miracle ports" that I enjoyed a ton, but other than a bit of settings tinkering it's just a no-compromise experience on Deck. It's the most drastic graphics and performance glow up I've come across between 2 handheld versions of the same game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

Wii U version on CEMU?

Yeah that’s what I tried

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

SilkyP posted:

Been using a micro sd card with my 256 steam deck can’t tell any load time issues but hey maybe that’s just me

Steam deck 256: No loads refused.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oscar Wild posted:

Steam deck 256: No loads refused.

Steam Deck: No loads refused

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
New Stable update's out and I'm pleased with how RE4 Remake runs (admittedly in low detail). Couldn't quite hit 40 when fighting in the village but it didn't drop below 30, either. Looking forward to that one.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

SteamgridDB is such a cool plug-in.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RandolphCarter posted:

SteamgridDB is such a cool plug-in.

It's my most used application

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Loving my deck. I think I’m gonna play new Zelda and say gooooobye to my switch and its monthly sub for game boy rom drops.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

skeletronics posted:

I've been getting into city builder games lately. Farthest Frontier is only getting about 30 fps at a population of about 60, so I don't expect it to perform well later into the game. I will say it's a more consistent 30, and runs more smoothly than on my desktop, which tends to stutter and hang a lot, but gets better framerates overall. Anybody have city building game recommendations that run well on this thing?

Supposedly Against the Storm plays well on deck, I haven’t tried it yet but played it on PC and it’s phenomenal. I haven’t been that obsessed with a game in a long time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Talorat posted:

Supposedly Against the Storm plays well on deck, I haven’t tried it yet but played it on PC and it’s phenomenal. I haven’t been that obsessed with a game in a long time.

It plays and controls pretty well. I’ve put a few hours into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I picked my Switch back up for the first time in months for Metroid Prime and after like an hour of handheld mode my wrists were hurting. They didn't do that before when playing the Switch.

I can only conclude my body has become Deckified.